Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Louis Armstrong RIP 1971
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 10, 2021 18:34

On July 9, 1971 at 7:30 p.m., CBS aired a one-hour special, "Louis Armstrong 1900-1971," hosted by Walter Cronkite.
It only aired once and has never appeared online--until now!
Here is Lucille Armstrong’s copy, digitized for all to enjoy 50 years later.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Louis Armstrong RIP 1971
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 10, 2021 19:38

Was July 9th the date of his passing 50 years ago?

God bless Louie Armstrong.

plexi

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 10, 2021 20:18

timbernardis
Was July 9th the date of his passing 50 years ago?

God bless Louie Armstrong.

plexi

He died July 6th. That's a testament to his popularity that they would air that days afterward.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 10, 2021 23:08

God bless Louis Armstrong. He was an incredible musician. Since he appeared as an entertainer as well, his musical strength gets underrated at times.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 11, 2021 00:28

What a great musician and artist. I had to wait until I got older (not that old, mind you) to appreciate him. In my teens and 20s I'd see him on a television show and laugh him off. I couldn't get his appeal. Then, in my 30s I rediscovered my love of jazz, especially melodic jazz/jazz stylings, which led me to the beauty of a number of albums and performers I'd overlooked such as Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan, Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis and others. This rediscovery might also have had something to do with my love of Joni Mitchell's music and reading about how she was influenced by various jazz performers. I sought out jazz folks she mentioned in interviews to get a handle on some of her music.

Regarding Armstrong, there are a few albums by him I consider must haves. They are "Ella and Louis" and "Ella And Louis Again", Ella being Ella Fitzgerald; "Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson" which is sublime and an album I have turned people onto for years; "The Great Summit: The Master Takes" which is Armstrong and Duke Ellington together. All of these are a great introduction to Mister Armstrong. From these there's a trail to be explored regarding his early years...and the same regarding the other performers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2021 14:51

dmay
What a great musician and artist. I had to wait until I got older (not that old, mind you) to appreciate him. In my teens and 20s I'd see him on a television show and laugh him off. I couldn't get his appeal. Then, in my 30s I rediscovered my love of jazz, especially melodic jazz/jazz stylings, which led me to the beauty of a number of albums and performers I'd overlooked such as Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan, Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis and others. This rediscovery might also have had something to do with my love of Joni Mitchell's music and reading about how she was influenced by various jazz performers. I sought out jazz folks she mentioned in interviews to get a handle on some of her music.

Regarding Armstrong, there are a few albums by him I consider must haves. They are "Ella and Louis" and "Ella And Louis Again", Ella being Ella Fitzgerald; "Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson" which is sublime and an album I have turned people onto for years; "The Great Summit: The Master Takes" which is Armstrong and Duke Ellington together. All of these are a great introduction to Mister Armstrong. From these there's a trail to be explored regarding his early years...and the same regarding the other performers.

Ha! Just bought Louis vs. Oscar last weekend. You are correct, it is sublime.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 11, 2021 15:12

amazing man; his early stuff in the twenties foreshadowed the whole big band era in a way;
i like that Benny Goodman etc...stuff but when i finally heard the earliest Armstrong bands,
i felt like the other stuff that came by in the next decades
was watered down; as hot as it was...
the guy at the Philharmonic around 28 minutes in; is amazing;
just an amazing tribute...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 11, 2021 17:25

treaclefingers

Ha! Just bought Louis vs. Oscar last weekend.

Yes, great album, but it wasn't a battle.

They were making music, not war.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: July 11, 2021 19:55

my late step Father owned a jazz club in Boston in the late 50s to the early 60s,I have a autographed photo of my step Father with Satchmo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2021 22:04

loog droog
treaclefingers

Ha! Just bought Louis vs. Oscar last weekend.

Yes, great album, but it wasn't a battle.

They were making music, not war.

lol.

I must have just finished posting on the Coronavirus thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home