Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 8, 2021 17:10

I watched this last night. Wow! It brought the 1960s and everything from then back home. The days of youth for many of us here. A few of the musical performances are something wonderful to behold. If you stream Hulu, go for it. You can also find it on torrent sites. Here's some background links regarding it.

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.mfa.org]

[www.msn.com]

Re: OT: Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 8, 2021 18:29

great film

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 26, 2021 00:21

I watched this today at the Michigan Theater Screening Room in Ann Arbor. I'd have to give it a decidedly mixed review. While the cinematography and audio recording are top notch, near state-of-the-art by 1969 standards, I feel like the producers throughly botched the way in which this material is presented. Instead of letting the performances stand on their own merits, and just having it be a straight up concert film on a par with Woodstock or Monterey Pop, every performance by every artist is horribly truncated. That doesn't mean you don't get the entire song, you do, but what happens is that after about the first minute, the volume gets turned way, way down, and you, as the viewer, get lectured to, as if you need to have everything explained to you, while all the while the live concert performance continues playing quietly in the background! The overall effect is similar to being at the greatest Soul concert of all time, and you just want to hear all this great music, but the person sitting next to you keeps talking to you about how great it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-26 00:25 by tatters.

Date: July 26, 2021 17:57

Regarding tatters comment, I lean the same way. I don't mind the commentary, but I would love to hear the full performances and the full show as there are hours of tape that weren't used. It would make one helluva binge watch and listen.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 26, 2021 18:24

I just saw the trailer, and this looks incredible. I can't sign up to Hulu ('we can't verify your email at the moment' - maybe because I'm in Greece). How else can I watch this?

Date: July 26, 2021 19:34

FYI: For those who can't see/get this through streaming, it is available as a torrent download from hither and yon.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 26, 2021 19:36

It's also a great slice of uncovered history. Akin to when we learned they had found the then mythical Rock and Roll Circus.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 26, 2021 23:12

It truly is on par with Woodstock in many ways. Man, I loved the performances, but it was frustrating at times with the songs being interrupted by commentary. As great as it is, it could have been better. It was a beautiful, peaceful event, so I wasn’t crazy about Nina Simone screaming, “Are you willing to burn buildings down?”, and a few other calls to violence. Her music, though, was brilliant. But, it is a must-see for music lovers.
Some thoughts:

Stevie Wonder was off the charts!
Gladys Knight looked like a teenager.
Loved seeing Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. watching their performance for the first time.

All that being said, I’ll watch it again . . . and again.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 27, 2021 03:23

It was an amazing treasure. They were all so young. I would have preferred the entire performaces rather then chopping off performances but really happy the film was found and shared with the world..Sly and the family Stone were great.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: July 27, 2021 08:14

I loved it
Maybe we’ll get a blu ray with unedited songs and extra performances??

OT: Summer of Soul
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 13:41

....on Hulu....see it.

"The Black Woodstock"....officially known as: The Harlem Cultural Festival - 1969

sorry if this has been posted before.....

Hendrix should've played it.

Re: OT: Summer of Soul
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 14, 2021 14:28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1116
Record Number of Users: 189 on August 24, 2021 20:10
Record Number of Guests: 4101 on December 24, 2020 10:57

Previous page Next page First page IORR home