Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Congrats Tampa - Back to Back Stanley Cup Champions
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 8, 2021 06:08

Kinda nice they get to do it in front of 18,000+ fans instead of an empty arena this year.

Re: OT: Congrats Tampa - Back to Back Stanley Cup Champions
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 8, 2021 08:54

Yes, congrats to the Bolts. Many jealous fans in Canada, especially in Vancouver and Toronto!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 8, 2021 09:10

Yep, and congrats to the great hockey state, Florida. They certainly know their hockey down there. Maybe something for the Canadian teams to study?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 8, 2021 13:04

Great run by my Habs. No shame in losing to the defending Champs. This Tampa team may have been the best of the salary cap era.

Date: July 8, 2021 13:05

Stoneage
Maybe something for the Canadian teams to study?

Start with easier taxation! winking smiley

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 8, 2021 15:35

Topi
Great run by my Habs. No shame in losing to the defending Champs. This Tampa team may have been the best of the salary cap era.

LOL...no Salary Cap in the playoffs...the Bolts were $17 million over the "cap" in the post-season. They were the best at finding the loophole in the system and gaming it, that's for sure.

Toronto tried something similar and failed miserably.

Date: July 8, 2021 16:21

I know there's no cap in the playoffs. That was the point.

Reading that after Chicago used that same LTIR loophole (back in 2015?), Tampa proposed a vote against it, but lost the vote.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-08 16:30 by Topi.

Date: July 8, 2021 16:57

Yeah, I was kinda split, the Habs have a long storied history and it's been a while for them, and I was kinda wanting them to make it interesting and win last night to pull within a game of tying the series.

On the other hand it was cool to see Tampa Bay win in front of its fans after being denied last year (empty arena), and one of our home town heroes in St. Louis, Patrick Maroon, won his 3rd cup in a row (with 2 different teams, St. Louis and Tampa Bay).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2021 20:31

JimmyTheSaint
Topi

LOL...no Salary Cap in the playoffs...the Bolts were $17 million over the "cap" in the post-season. They were the best at finding the loophole in the system and gaming it, that's for sure.

Toronto tried something similar and failed miserably.

LOL that's the Maple Loafs for ya.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 8, 2021 20:41

Hockey has a strange life in the U.S. Rabid fans that fill up buildings, while there isn't that much national TV exposure in the states. Nothing approaching what the other major league sports have. I had to go to Google to see what Tampa Bay's nickname. Lightning. Okay. And it's still odd to think of having ice hockey in Florida, in July!

Canadian fans really are the bedrock of professional hockey. It's like (American) football in Texas, or basketball in Indiana.

Date: July 9, 2021 03:10

24FPS
Hockey has a strange life in the U.S. Rabid fans that fill up buildings, while there isn't that much national TV exposure in the states. Nothing approaching what the other major league sports have

Hopefully that'll be changing next season:

ESPN/Disney/ABC - NHL 7 Year TV Rights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-09 03:11 by kovach.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: July 9, 2021 03:57

Lotsa folks I know love goin' to a game in person, but won't watch any on TV... most think the puck is too hard to follow.

I'll take it any way I can get it!

Now come the hockey withdrawals...winking smiley

Date: July 9, 2021 15:34

TKinOH
Lotsa folks I know love goin' to a game in person, but won't watch any on TV... most think the puck is too hard to follow.

I'll take it any way I can get it!

Now come the hockey withdrawals...winking smiley

That's changed a bit with large screen HD TVs now being the norm I think.

Me and a buddy we're talking about that the other day, "Remember when we used to just watch the TV waiting for the goal light to come on?".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home