Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NEW LIVE RECORD IN COPACABANA AND SO ON
Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: July 6, 2021 14:01

NOT INTERESTED, SAME SONGS EVERY YEAR BUYING THE SAME 20 SONGS.....
HOW MANY TIMES WE DO HAVE TO BUYA BROWN SUGAR.....20, 45 , perhaps 90
NEW RECORD O CLOSE THE HOUSE DEFINETELY

Re: NEW LIVE RECORD IN COPACABANA AND SO ON
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 6, 2021 14:02

A little negative about our favorite band ?

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: July 6, 2021 14:24

Mayo is not that wrong, actually. It's pretty boring, now.
They're giving us the same show for the 4th (?) time or something like that.
Why not to release the best of each tour? Or a selection of rarely issued songs that they performed once or twice? Why not to care to satisfy the Collectors and the avarage fan? Just black vinyl. Stop.
UMG is using RSD to launch their latest output of useless vinyl and, on top of that, they've stopped enrolling Bob Clearmountain to up-dated the mix of the source tapes. As a result we have: well-known shows, in horrible covers (Studio Fury) and bad-sounding music.
I will not stop buying vinyl, but I gave up buying CDs, DVDs and all the other formats long ago and with no regrets.
we're not negative about the band, we're negative about the way RSR lets UMG manage their output. ABKCO Records shows much more respect and Tery Landi is working very well, instead.
IMO, Luca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-06 14:25 by 1963luca0.

Date: July 6, 2021 15:09

I haven't purchase a live release since Flashpoint.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 6, 2021 16:19

These releases only sell 10k or less, they could care less about sound quality when only a bunch of old farts are interested.

The last one, Atlantic City, after 9+ months has sold 8,800 copies in the States, all the formats included.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 6, 2021 16:43

georgelicks
These releases only sell 10k or less, they could care less about sound quality when only a bunch of old farts are interested.

The last one, Atlantic City, after 9+ months has sold 8,800 copies in the States, all the formats included.

And what is the profit then on that release? Is it a matter of putting out as many different releases as possible and making a little bit off each one?

The money seems pretty marginal.

I guess though if you're the record company you're doing this multiple times with all your artists. That's maybe where the volume is.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 6, 2021 16:55

georgelicks

Technically, in 30 years these releases will be of the same collector's value as old Still Life 'WEA target CD' or Japanese 'black triangle CDs' of Tattoo You and Undercover have nowadays. Although, collector's value has nothing to do with music itself and/or sound quality.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 6, 2021 18:13

1963luca0
Why not to release the best of each tour? Or a selection of rarely issued songs that they performed once or twice? Why not to care to satisfy the Collectors and the avarage fan? Just black vinyl. Stop.
UMG is using RSD to launch their latest output of useless vinyl and, on top of that, they've stopped enrolling Bob Clearmountain to up-dated the mix of the source tapes. As a result we have: well-known shows, in horrible covers (Studio Fury) and bad-sounding music.
I will not stop buying vinyl, but I gave up buying CDs, DVDs and all the other formats long ago and with no regrets.
we're not negative about the band, we're negative about the way RSR lets UMG manage their output. ABKCO Records shows much more respect and Tery Landi is working very well, instead.
IMO, Luca

Why not give a ticketholder access to a soundboard proshot recording of a show they attend. I've enough TShirts

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 6, 2021 18:34

georgelicks

If they sell so few copies does it still make sense from a business perspective to put them out? Or are they doing the completists a favor?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 6, 2021 18:45

It does make sense since they are a record company and their business is selling records, cd's., etc.
It makes money if they sell cd's, records by the Stones as well as other acts they have under their label.
Total sales by all their acts.

It also keeps the Stones in front of the old fans and hopefully new buyers. Plus you never know what may be a hit
if you never release anything because you think it won't sell.

Lets hope fans will start to love rock n roll like they used too.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 6, 2021 19:03

>Technically, in 30 years these releases will be of the same collector's value as
>old Still Life 'WEA target CD' or Japanese 'black triangle CDs' of Tattoo You and
>Undercover have nowadays.

the way its going, in 30 years no Rolling Stones artifacts will have any worth whatsoever.

And "...they could care less..." is probably not the correct phrasing for what you are trying to express. It means they care more than they could. What is correct is "...couldn't care less...".

These endless senseless live recordings are ridiculous, they don't sell enough to be viable, so I am very confused why they even bother. Obviously, so are they, hence the shitty cheap cover art, the crap mix, the poor mastering and the general don't give a shit attitude that is obvious by the looks and sounds of the things. The only one I can think of from within recent years with any merit would be the live Sticky Fingers set where at least they are on a project with some novelty, not just a forgettable recording of a forgettable show, flapping it out for a million people most of whom cannot hear or see the band and don't really care about anything other than being "there". Then they buy the artifact to proudly say "I was there!" and probably never play it again after the first spin.

thank you
jb

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 6, 2021 19:05

THIS IS SCREAMING "BORING" AT ME (AND YOU)

Date: July 6, 2021 19:16

I think they are released for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost is to prevent piracy of their music.

Second to give their younger audience something new.

Last, because they want to keep their names in the headlines. And releasing live albums all the time does this.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 6, 2021 19:21

Poor sales numbers have only one explanation: those in charge with the exploitation of the Stones "vault" don't have a clue or don't give a sh.t or both.

Georgelicks says that "only a bunch of old farts are interested". I say, put together a product with love, care, competence and dedication, and I bet you the sales figures will be completely different.

These people are resting their fat ars.s on a treasure of music, footage and information ... how can a rehash of Copacabana be a priority?

C

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 6, 2021 19:33

1963luca0
IMO, Luca

You say it exactly how it is imo.

Concerning live rarities: I would really appreciate such releases - instead of getting the 100th more or less lacklustre version of Brown Sugar and the like.

I mean, after all these archive releases so far, I'm still missing a perfectly mixed Roll Over Beethoven from 1970, Don't Lie To Me from 1972, She Smiled Sweetly or Parachute Woman from the Licks Club shows and whatever.

If they continue like they did so far, each release will sell even less and less. I for one am already out. I feel no need anymore to shell out considerable amounts of money only to call myself a "completist", largely for the same old songs in versions that often don't really cut the mustard.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 6, 2021 19:41

I wish Raleigh, NC 2015 would get released. They were on FIRE!!!!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 6, 2021 19:53

MAYO
NOT INTERESTED

Suggest putting the money saved towards the purchase of a new keyboard.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 6, 2021 19:59

Yes, this will be the first live one I don't buy.

I've bought all these "modern" ('89-current) releases. I even bought the Voodoo Lounge in Japan import.

I may get rid of Voodoo Lounge Uncut, since I have the "Miami Dice" boot <---which is initially what I thought I'd be getting rid of with the arrival of "Uncut" but then that mix.....

EDIT: I guess I also didn't buy "Live Licks", so this will be the 2nd one I don't buy, although I guess still the first of the archival-type releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-06 23:32 by floodonthepage.

Date: July 6, 2021 22:26

georgemcdonnell314

You missed Brussels, Live In England '65, On The Air, L&G and Live In Texas 1978?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 6, 2021 22:58

DandelionPowderman
georgemcdonnell314

You missed Brussels, Live In England '65, On The Air, L&G and Live In Texas 1978?
Easy possible to miss these:
Brussels and Live In England were in big deluxe boxes only
On The Air and L&G are of dubious sound quality

But not Live In Texas 1978. Although, the mastering for that on is a brickwall...

Date: July 6, 2021 23:44

ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
georgemcdonnell314

But not Live In Texas 1978. Although, the mastering for that on is a brickwall...

I have had all these on bootlegs for years.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 6, 2021 23:49

I, like several here, have no interest in this title. It will be the first Stones vault release I don't buy.

Date: July 6, 2021 23:49

georgemcdonnell314
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
georgemcdonnell314

I should also mention you forgot Hampton and LA75 which I also have on bootleg.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 7, 2021 01:17

georgemcdonnell314
georgemcdonnell314
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
georgemcdonnell314

What about Leeds '71 and '82...?
Ok,you got them on bootleg...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 7, 2021 01:26

bye bye johnny
MAYO
NOT INTERESTED

Suggest putting the money saved towards the purchase of a new keyboard.

grinning smiley

Date: July 7, 2021 02:20

shortfatfanny
georgemcdonnell314
georgemcdonnell314
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
georgemcdonnell314

I do in fact have both on bootleg. Perhaps you can find something positive to say.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2021 02:36

Of course they release these albums to remain relevant when the band isn't out on tour. Or to get attention right before they do go hit the stages. What else are they going to do with this material? Dylan seems to release a new box set of vintage material every few months. He sold the right away to his songs, etc, for $300 Million. That stuff in the vaults must have some value. I'd be curious to know what the Stones catalogue would go for. Only problem is they don't control the important stuff from the 60s.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 7, 2021 03:10

georgemcdonnell314
shortfatfanny
georgemcdonnell314
georgemcdonnell314
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
georgemcdonnell314

I do in fact have both on bootleg. Perhaps you can find something positive to say.

It would be positive to say that you should support your band by buying their official releases of titles you have enjoyed on bootleg and they let be circulated on said bootlegs. Its the least you can do if you want to be positive about something.

jb

Posted by: agureggae07 ()
Date: July 7, 2021 03:59

I think Totally Stripped is a great find in all these years.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 7, 2021 04:15

agureggae07
I think Totally Stripped is a great find in all these years.

I got the DL of these on Google Play, as well as LEEDS, BRUSELS, LA FRIDAY and the 1990 Japan one.

Had I known those would have no relevance not much later in regard to how it works in regard to being purchased, I would not've bothered (along with everything else, of course).

I did buy hard copies of
EXILE extra disc only
Plundered My Soul
SOME GIRLS
HAMPTON
LIVE IN TEXAS
STICKY FINGERS
GOATS HEAD SOUP

I may purchase hard copies of whatever else I find interesting at some point but it is not on any list of priorities.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home