Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
this must be known footage? Paris 1970
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 27, 2021 08:05

I would guess this would be pretty close to the end of the 69 USA tour? I don't recall ever seeing this before. Its totally worth a look.

jb

Re: this must be known footage? Paris 1970
Date: June 27, 2021 08:19

Actually its pretty insane. Roll Over Beethoven?

jb

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: June 27, 2021 08:51

Hadn't seen that before, nice find JB.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 27, 2021 08:59

jbwelda
I would guess this would be pretty close to the end of the 69 USA tour? I don't recall ever seeing this before. Its totally worth a look.

jb

Begs the question.... Does anyone know who "Yesterday's Papers" actually **IS**?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 27, 2021 12:03

Paris 70 was recorded and broadcasted by some radio station. Unfortunately it sounds rather muffled. The performance of the band was great and deserves a release. Maybe they have some clean recording in the vault.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 27, 2021 12:36

Does anyone know who "Yesterday's Papers" actually **IS**?

Dunno but they whack tagether some good little vids .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 27, 2021 13:01

Cop this one from YS .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 27, 2021 17:39

Yes, Beethoven is rolling over. Hearing the Stones blast through it, one realizes that without Mister Berry, there would probably be no Rolling Stones. Mister B's licks appear in many ways and forms in Stones songs. The Stones should erect a monument to him.

Date: June 27, 2021 18:39

They are a monument to him (Berry Chuck that is), and have demonstrated and honored that many a time.

jb

Date: June 27, 2021 18:47

jbwelda

jb

thumbs up

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 27, 2021 18:49

jbwelda
Actually its pretty insane. Roll Over Beethoven?

jb

Yes it was! I was at the last concert of that tour, October 9 in Amsterdam. There is some footage of that concert too. Looking back at these clips, many things come back from memory. I lived in Utrecht and the Stones were actually staying at the Holiday Inn in that city. Not many knew, but somehow I did. I still see myself on my bycicle heading for that hotel and looking up to the top of that building. Should I go, or should I not go up (they were staying at the top floor). All was so peaceful around the hotel, looked like a piece of cake. What did my silly mind say? "No, you're not going to bother these guys. You want them to do a good concert tomorrow".
Can you gelieve that? confused smiley
Anyway, it was a great concert and as a true Stones fan I decided to put on my dark Blue three piece student suit (which I hated), just to find out how other fans would respond. I ended up in the second buffer, only some 6 meters from the stage, left of the middle. Steven Stills was there, but I can't remember if he played piano on Roll over Beethoven (obviously I was too exited grinning smiley)

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: June 27, 2021 20:34

Roll Over Beethoven has a groove that could have morphed into Rip This Joint.

HBK

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 27, 2021 21:42

jbwelda
They are a monument to him (Berry Chuck that is), and have demonstrated and honored that many a time.

jb

thumbs up could not say it better

Date: June 27, 2021 23:38

One has to remember though, when one speaks of Chuck Berry's music, it was in large part due to Johnnie Johnson and his combo that Chuck essentially took over. Berry was the lyricist, and of course made the patented guitar riffs, but JJ was in charge of the music as I understand it, and the music is definitely driven by the piano. And the Stones even emulated that, very well, thanks to Ian Stewart.

jb

Date: June 28, 2021 00:35

Rockman
Does anyone know who "Yesterday's Papers" actually **IS**?

Dunno but they whack tagether some good little vids .....

Agreed. One of my favourite channels on youtube.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 28, 2021 04:38

jbwelda
One has to remember though, when one speaks of Chuck Berry's music, it was in large part due to Johnnie Johnson and his combo that Chuck essentially took over. Berry was the lyricist, and of course made the patented guitar riffs, but JJ was in charge of the music as I understand it, and the music is definitely driven by the piano. And the Stones even emulated that, very well, thanks to Ian Stewart.

jb

In Hail Hail R'N'R Keith talks about Chucks songs and they're in piano keys not guitar keys, Johnny Johnson's keys.

Date: June 28, 2021 07:12

This one is kinda bogus though...

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-28 07:32 by jbwelda.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 28, 2021 14:12

Rockman

Cop this one from YS .....

When they were GODS

Rod

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 28, 2021 15:50

georgie48

Yes it was! I was at the last concert of that tour, October 9 in Amsterdam. There is some footage of that concert too. Looking back at these clips, many things come back from memory. I lived in Utrecht and the Stones were actually staying at the Holiday Inn in that city. Not many knew, but somehow I did. I still see myself on my bycicle heading for that hotel and looking up to the top of that building. Should I go, or should I not go up (they were staying at the top floor). All was so peaceful around the hotel, looked like a piece of cake. What did my silly mind say? "No, you're not going to bother these guys. You want them to do a good concert tomorrow".
Can you gelieve that? confused smiley
Anyway, it was a great concert and as a true Stones fan I decided to put on my dark Blue three piece student suit (which I hated), just to find out how other fans would respond. I ended up in the second buffer, only some 6 meters from the stage, left of the middle. Steven Stills was there, but I can't remember if he played piano on Roll over Beethoven (obviously I was too exited grinning smiley)

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 28, 2021 23:11

I think we will be seeing a lot of this sort of thing coming out. Many companies are going through their archives and restoring old footage or converting it to digital format.

Ed Sullivan shows are the perfect example.

Also, many of the people who made home movies in the 1960's and 1970's have passed and the tapes have now been found by the younger generation who are releasing old footage.

My neighbor was one of the network news broadcasters during the 60's and 70's and since he passed his family has been releasing the 1000's of hours of film and photos he had stored away in the basement for years.

Who knows how many people snuck in 8mm cameras to film concerts especially the press which had easier access than most.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 29, 2021 00:33

it looks very much like the clip i got off youtube about 2 years ago and used in my 70 tour comp

Date: June 29, 2021 00:37

where would we be able to see that comp, professor?

jb

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 29, 2021 01:01

HouseBoyKnows
Roll Over Beethoven has a groove that could have morphed into Rip This Joint.

HBK

Actually the very beginning of the song sounds like Midnight Rambler

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 29, 2021 14:32

Keith's guitar tone is... heavy!

Bill must felt that someone was punching him in the back every time Keef hit a chord.
Btw was it the Ampeg amps he used in 69?

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: June 29, 2021 19:38

dcba

Bill must felt that someone was punching him in the back every time Keef hit a chord.

Yes, prototype Ampeg SVTs, although there's a curious line just before Gimme Shelter at the LA show where Mick says "he's got an echo on there, let's do it with echo". I always assumed he meant 'reverb', but the SVT heads never had reverb like the other V series amps (V2, V4, V9). There's clearly no echo/delay sound happening on either guitar so who knows:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: June 29, 2021 20:00

charlie with internazionale´s t-shirt, milan 1970

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: June 29, 2021 21:55

Keith with the leg kick around 3:56. He loved playing Chuck songs.

I don't see a capo at this time but clearly there's one during his solo around the 4:40 mark. Could he have slipped one on the neck at some point? The video and the audio seem to match up, unlike the Ladies & Gentlemen movie.

Date: June 30, 2021 01:05

automaticchanger
dcba

Yes, prototype Ampeg SVTs, although there's a curious line just before Gimme Shelter at the LA show where Mick says "he's got an echo on there, let's do it with echo". I always assumed he meant 'reverb', but the SVT heads never had reverb like the other V series amps (V2, V4, V9). There's clearly no echo/delay sound happening on either guitar so who knows:

[youtu.be]

Wasnt that line about echo from Oakland? Or did it make it onto Live'r than You'll Ever Be without actually being from Oakland?

My understanding was those Ampegs were not up to the rigors of the road and gave nothing but trouble. They used them because they were given them in a sponsorship deal I think. Don't think it lasted too long though, much like the equipment.

jb

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: June 30, 2021 01:25

jbwelda

Wasnt that line about echo from Oakland? Or did it make it onto Live'r than You'll Ever Be without actually being from Oakland?

My understanding was those Ampegs were not up to the rigors of the road and gave nothing but trouble. They used them because they were given them in a sponsorship deal I think. Don't think it lasted too long though, much like the equipment.

jb

My brain said 'Oakland' but my hands typed LA, haha. The first amps ran hot and blew tubes a fair bit, but they received additional amps and used Ampegs in general until 78.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2021 01:54

Wow. That's @#$%^&* awesome! Interesting how they went back to the record version for the chorus.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home