Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Cars Of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 22, 2021 21:29

Nice rides! Love that 1937 Lagonda Rapide Cabriolet (ps is that true that Charlie Watts never got a driver's license?)

[www.motorious.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-22 21:40 by Sighunt.

Re: The Cars Of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 23, 2021 16:51

Where's that interview where Charlie said he liked sitting in oldtimer cars in his garage going "wroom wroom"?

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 23, 2021 18:35

Mick's 2 Peugeot 505's -at Château de Fourchette

(c) Darren Massie

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 23, 2021 20:30

Nikkei

Where's that interview where Charlie said he liked sitting in oldtimer cars in his garage going "wroom wroom"?

"In fact, Charlie has never seen the point of having a driving licence, so he’s never driven this car. He just keeps it in the garage and uses his imagination. “You can ‘Start Me Up’,” he might mutter, “but I’m just going to sit here and admire the fine pre-war craftsmanship.”

From: "The Rolling Stones did get satisfaction from collecting cars" - [www.GQ-Magazine.co.uk] .

Date: June 23, 2021 22:15

BILL WYMAN 1999 MERCEDES-BENZ S500L FOUR DOOR SALOON

A 1999 Mercedes-Benz S500L Saloon in Brilliant Silver Metallic with grey leather interior and burr walnut finish. The vehicle has a 5.0-litre V-8 engine with 315 horsepower, 339 foot-pounds of torque and a 5-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. Features: ABS braking system with traction control, rear wheel drive, cruise control, dual zone air conditioning, remote keyless entry with anti-theft warning system, heated mirrors and power sunroof. Interior options: contoured, 8-way power driver and passenger seats with heat, lumbar support and adjustable headrests, heated rear seats, electric roller blind for the rear window, AM/FM/CD stereo with MP3 capabilities, IR reflecting tinted glass, folding rear table, and full sized spare with tools. Wyman purchased the vehicle as a gift to himself on his 63rd birthday. The original sticker in October of 1999 was £75,995. The car has recently been serviced and outfitted with four new tires, and is accompanied with original paperwork and service history. The odometer is correct at 19,059 miles.

Sold for $16,000 on 14-Sep-2020 - [Twitter.com] . It was Lot #1023 in the Auction: "Property from Bill Wyman and his Rolling Stones Archive" by Juliens Auctions (listed only in the Print/PDF-Catalogue).

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 23, 2021 23:03

I take it that Bill did not drive his 1999 MB S500L much as the sale mileage works out to less than a 1000 miles a year. As for MJ's Peugeot 505s, how appropriate Wikipedia has them noted as "large family cars". MJ would know.

On another note, regarding cars, like many things one buys the name - the status implied - not necessarily the actual product. One of my cousins, who worked on a GM assembly line, noted to me that, cars are nothing more than machines. They all work basically the same way, the main difference being the skin they put on the outside of the machine and the amenities that are/can be added. All are designed to get you from point A to point B and back to A again and, like any machine, as long as you maintain it and have it serviced, it should last a long time.I doubt rock stars and other celebrities, the wealthy, think of cars this way.

By the way, has anyone else wondered why the cars are so far from the house in the MJ Peugeot photo?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2021 00:58

My guess is that that French castle photo isn't exactly fresh from the camera. Peugeot 505 went out of production in 1992. I can't remember the last time I saw one in traffic here.
Beautiful cars though. But maybe Commander has servants who maintain the cars when he is not on visit?

Date: June 24, 2021 13:31

dmay
By the way, has anyone else wondered why the cars are so far from the house in the MJ Peugeot photo?

Right, I thought the same, the cars are located at the very far end of the estate, about half a kilomtre from the house. Maybe Mick appreciates a little jog from the house to the car, then again at that place the cars are located close to the village and unnecessary driving around is thus avoided. Anyhow, what I read somewhere is that Mick is rather popular among the village folks as a modest resident, and that he is occasionally seen there at the wheel of his "old car" en route for some grocery shopping.

BTW, the person in the background of the picture looks like Mick himself.

d.f

PS: What puzzles me is that in Google Maps the place is called "Chateau de Fourchette Long Island Love" and there are reviews that appear to be about a restaurant. Any ideas about this? I just can't image Mick running a restaurant there. PPS: In the meantime I proposed to Google Maps to remove that name appendix "Long Island Love" and they already accepted saying it might take up to 24 hours to implement those changes. I wonder whether those mysterious restaurant reviews will also disappear. Just noted that Google Maps shows there some pictures of lambs, one of which showing Mick as shepherd with hat and rod guarding his lambs. Looks funny.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-24 13:56 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2021 13:52

Deep Fake ......

ROCKMAN

Date: June 24, 2021 13:57

Rockman

Deep Fake ......

You got the eye, Rockie, Indeed looks photoshopped.

EDIT: typing error.

PS: But the sheep and shepherd pics don't look photoshopped and they were placed in Google Maps by some "local guide - level 6" by the name of "Russell" who seems to hail from Long Island. Could be him who named the Chateau "Long Island Love".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-24 14:07 by dead.flowers.

Date: June 24, 2021 16:42

Unforgotten: Keith's Blue Lena.

Bentley S3 Continental Flying Spur Mulliner Park Ward

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-24 17:08 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2021 22:32

I wonder in which state "Blue Lena" was when Keith handed it over? I assume they spent a lot of Pound sterling renovating it to the stellar condition above.

Date: June 25, 2021 11:30

Stoneage
I wonder in which state "Blue Lena" was when Keith handed it over? I assume they spent a lot of Pound sterling renovating it to the stellar condition above.

There are a lot of details - and pics - here:-

[iorr.org] Keith's Bentley 'Blue Lena' on auction

d.f

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2021 15:53

dmay

One of my cousins, who worked on a GM assembly line, noted to me that, cars are nothing more than machines. They all work basically the same way, the main difference being the skin they put on the outside of the machine and the amenities that are/can be added. All are designed to get you from point A to point B and back to A again and, like any machine, as long as you maintain it and have it serviced, it should last a long time.I doubt rock stars and other celebrities, the wealthy, think of cars this way.

Interesting...your description of a car would also translate to a human being very nicely.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 25, 2021 17:43

Yep. The human body is its own form of machine requiring ongoing maintenance. Of course, once AI is perfected and is able to replicate itself, the machines will take over and The Terminator will have to be dealt with.

Date: July 2, 2021 11:45

Nikkei

[www.YouTube.com] - Pos. 5:14

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 3, 2021 19:38

I'd like to learn more about the rental car Keith was driving when he was arrested in Fordyce, Arkansas.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 4, 2021 17:53

dead.flowers

Unforgotten: Keith's Blue Lena.

Bentley S3 Continental Flying Spur Mulliner Park Ward

Boy, that is one beautiful car!

More about the Bentley S3 Continental Flying Spur in Auto Classics buying guide (just a little out of my price range LOL!)

[www.autoclassics.com]

Date: July 5, 2021 16:27

wonderboy
I'd like to learn more about the rental car Keith was driving when he was arrested in Fordyce, Arkansas.

Chevrolet Impala, something like this:-

More scandal gossip and pics here:-

[arkansasroadstories.com]

d.f

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 5, 2021 22:08

Was described in his book as a brand new "canary yellow" Chev Impala.

I'm picturing the two door model..

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 8, 2021 00:19

Didn't Keith buy a brand-new Dodge Charger 440 during the 1969 tour?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home