Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nostalgia for Ticketmaster!
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 17, 2021 17:31

Never thought I would see the day...

The All England Tennis Club gave Ticketmaster the job of selling tickets to this year's Wimbledon championships and all tickets went on sale at 1300 GMT toady

It really took me back

All our old friends were there:

* Not letting you into the waiting room!

* Denying you had the correct code!

* Waiting before you had the tickets in your basket before the screen froze! Three times!

I gave up when it told me I was 132128 in the queue

Almost as much fun as trying to buy Rolling Stones tickets

Still, good to know there are some things in life you can rely on and Ticketmaster screwing up is one of them

Re: Nostalgia for Ticketmaster!
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 17, 2021 17:48

I don’t think many here have felt TicketBastard’s absence too keenly. The process for acquiring a vaccine is about the same. Both could be compared to the Hunger Games. I guess the upside is that these skills are transferable, and keeping them sharp should stand us in good stead when the post-announcement scrum starts.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 17, 2021 17:53

I just miss the term "Ticketbastard". Good to see it back.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: June 17, 2021 18:12

I just used Tickmaster this morning to buy tickets, after waiting in the "waiting room" then in the "queue" I was able to pick out choice tix only to find out that for some unknown reason they would not accept me buying from my computer....so I had to run to use the wife's laptop and everything worked fine.

Ticketbastard indeed

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 17, 2021 18:45

johnnythunders

The All England Tennis Club gave Ticketmaster the job of selling tickets to this year's Wimbledon championships and all tickets went on sale at 1300 GMT toady

It really took me back

* Waiting before you had the tickets in your basket before the screen froze! Three times!

Still, good to know there are some things in life you can rely on and Ticketmaster screwing up is one of them

Dead right!

I could scarcely believe that I had two centre court tickets for men's semifinal day in my basket. But the payment page screwed up THREE times - and by the fourth time, it was game over already. GRRR....

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 17, 2021 19:27

Beast
johnnythunders

It really took me back

Dead right!

I could scarcely believe that I had two centre court tickets for men's semifinal day in my basket. But the payment page screwed up THREE times - and by the fourth time, it was game over already. GRRR....

Sorry Beast, unsurprised I was not the only one.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 17, 2021 19:39

The only thing I enjoyed about Ticketmaster was outsmarting them.

Example: Eric Clapton was playing the House of Blues in Los Angeles in 1994, promoting his Robert Johnson album. The venue held a few hundred people, mostly standing room only. You NEVER could have got through Ticketmaster in L.A. Using an old trick I called Phoenix, got straight through and got tickets for the L.A. event, no problem.

Previously I used that trick by calling Cicero, Illinois Ticketmaster when tickets for an Indianapolis event went on sale. Always got tickets within the first few rows.

Now I just go to the Box Office, night of, and take my chances. They're usually good.

thumbs downRe: Nostalgia for Ticketmaster!
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 17, 2021 19:55

Jeez Louise I was hoping one of the casualties of the Pandemic would be the demise of the dreaded Ticketmaster

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 17, 2021 22:43

NEVER

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 17, 2021 23:16

That's funny how Ticketmaster wouldn't accept coffeepotman's computer to buy tickets but accepted his wife's laptop. Aren't they basically the same type of machine? God how I and others hated Ticketmaster/Ticketbastard. I'd go to the box office to buy tickets in person and be told by some venues I still had to pay the Ticketmaster servicing fee regardless of whether I was buying in person.

If you want to get a bit of history regarding Ticketbastard and the concert industry check this out.

[www.goodreads.com]

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: June 17, 2021 23:18

Ah, I remember the good 'ol days of early internet buying and logging on at the on sale time and actually getting through and then actually getting good tickets! I bought a bunch for No Security that way, almost all in the first 15 -20 rows on the floor. Now, even if you're in within the first minute there's usually nothing good available anyway! angry smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 17, 2021 23:57

JN99
Ah, I remember the good 'ol days of early internet buying and logging on at the on sale time and actually getting through and then actually getting good tickets! I bought a bunch for No Security that way, almost all in the first 15 -20 rows on the floor. Now, even if you're in within the first minute there's usually nothing good available anyway! angry smiley

That's why I go to the venue night of. (It's a little more difficult if your date doesn't trust you.) Very often good tickets go on sale night of. I got tickets the Stones no longer needed, a few rows up from the side of the stage. No Ticketmaster 'fees'. No nosebleed seats. As a backup I always have a map of the arena. I see what scalpers have, and where the seats are at. If you wait until near show time the price keeps dropping for a product that will be worthless soon.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 18, 2021 02:06

johnnythunders
Beast
johnnythunders

It really took me back

Dead right!

Sorry Beast, unsurprised I was not the only one.

Nope! And I read that many, like me, had problems with the payment page. So the All England Lawn Tennis Club's response to this and other problems was:

"...many of the problems were caused by people not opting in to receiving marketing communications so they could be legally contacted."

WTF??!! I didn't opt in because I already receive their communications, which is how I got the code for the sale - meaning that you couldn't be on the payment page if you didn't have the code that you could only get via their marketing communications. DOH....

Date: June 18, 2021 04:46

"Nope! And I read that many, like me, had problems with the payment page. So the All England Lawn Tennis Club's response to this and other problems was:

"...many of the problems were caused by people not opting in to receiving marketing communications so they could be legally contacted."

WTF??!! I didn't opt in because I already receive their communications, which is how I got the code for the sale - meaning that you couldn't be on the payment page if you didn't have the code that you could only get via their marketing communications. DOH...."

A perfect expression of Catch 22: "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Date: June 18, 2021 07:00

dmay
"Nope! And I read that many, like me, had problems with the payment page. So the All England Lawn Tennis Club's response to this and other problems was:

WTF??!! I didn't opt in because I already receive their communications, which is how I got the code for the sale - meaning that you couldn't be on the payment page if you didn't have the code that you could only get via their marketing communications. DOH...."

A perfect expression of Catch 22: "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

you sound very dISmayED.

Date: June 18, 2021 17:47

Hey, treaclefingers: I have been very "dlSmayED" at many things in life. But, as the late Charlie Rich sang, "I just keep rollin' with the flow".

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 18, 2021 17:57

24FPS
The only thing I enjoyed about Ticketmaster was outsmarting them.

Example: Eric Clapton was playing the House of Blues in Los Angeles in 1994, promoting his Robert Johnson album. The venue held a few hundred people, mostly standing room only. You NEVER could have got through Ticketmaster in L.A. Using an old trick I called Phoenix, got straight through and got tickets for the L.A. event, no problem.

Previously I used that trick by calling Cicero, Illinois Ticketmaster when tickets for an Indianapolis event went on sale. Always got tickets within the first few rows.

Now I just go to the Box Office, night of, and take my chances. They're usually good.

I've actually done this many times myself - called AL or MS or GA or somewhere else down south for shows on sale in the Northeast. Works every time.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 18, 2021 18:14

Nostalgia? Zero f*cks given.

jb

Date: June 18, 2021 19:33

dmay
Hey, treaclefingers: I have been very "dlSmayED" at many things in life. But, as the late Charlie Rich sang, "I just keep rollin' with the flow".

smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2203
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home