Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Don Kirshners Appearances
Date: June 16, 2021 17:30

Anyone have links for these videos?

[www.donkirshner.com]

Sounds like there were several performances by the Stones.

On that episode of Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert, The Rolling Stones performed an unforgettable and emotive version of “Angie” and the the rock series was off and running. Over the show’s 8 year run, The Rolling Stones appeared on Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert five times performing their hit songs Start Me Up, Angie, Silver Train, Dancin with Mr. D, Till The Next Goodbye, It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll (But I Like It), Ain’t Too Proud To Beg, All Down The Line, Bye Bye Johnnie, Love In Vain, Emotional Rescue and She’s So Cold.

I'd really like to see Till the Next Goodbye and Love in Vain.

Re: Don Kirshners Appearances
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 16, 2021 18:07

All Down The Line, Bye Bye Johnnie, and Love In Vain were taken from the then-new film Ladies & Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones, and ran the same night as the promos for the three songs off IORR.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: June 16, 2021 18:10

Here is Til The Next Goodbye:

Til The Next Goodbye

I think Love In Vain was from Ladies and Gentlemen

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 16, 2021 18:11

A few of them here.. two versions of Angie were played..

"Music Videos: The Rolling Stones (from London) - "Angie" (video #1), "Silver Train," "Dancing with Mr. D" and "Angie" (video #2).

[iorr.org]

Date: June 16, 2021 18:22

loog droog
All Down The Line, Bye Bye Johnnie, and Love In Vain were taken from the then-new film Ladies & Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones, and ran the same night as the promos for the three songs off IORR.

Thanks for the clarification........... the wording is not the best it sounded like they were actual apperances and not pretaped.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 16, 2021 19:13

Looking at Angie and the other two videos, wow, it's like visiting another planet and lifetime ago. I used to watch the Kirshner shows along with the Midnight Special to see what was current or being plugged. Soul Train was good for catching up to the popular black music scene. There was a show on for awhile called "Fridays" that also featured popular music acts.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 16, 2021 20:41

dmay
Looking at Angie and the other two videos, wow, it's like visiting another planet and lifetime ago. I used to watch the Kirshner shows along with the Midnight Special to see what was current or being plugged. Soul Train was good for catching up to the popular black music scene. There was a show on for awhile called "Fridays" that also featured popular music acts.

Yes, these all take me back to teenage years.

Don't forget SNL when it was new and hip. It really had some great musical guests too.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 16, 2021 20:49

"Fridays" was ABC's answer to Saturday Night Live (originally called NBC's Saturday Night, because Howard Cosell's short-lived Ed Sullivan-styled variety show that also premiered in '75 had dibs on the SNL name) and started at the end of the 70's. It featured Larry David and Michael Richards among it's cast, and yes, there were musical guests like SNL, most notably The Clash.

Earlier in the decade, ABC had the late night show In Concert, which once had the only TV appearance of Led Zeppelin...an interview with Robert Plant conducted by disc jockey J.J. Jackson.

Led Zep just didn't do TV.

But jeez, Don Kirshner... His introductions were so wooden. And then he started using his kids, and they were even worse!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 16, 2021 21:02

Or did someone mean 'Friday Night VIDEOS'? The Don Kirshner tapes are a tragedy. So much good, live music, and we can't see any of it. (Except for some YouTube segments). It was a harder rocking version of The Midnight Special, or which much is available on DVDs to the general public. Somehow, after Kirshner's death, the tapes ended up sold to an outfit that sells video clips. That was years ago and they haven't seen the light of day since.

I just looked and now the performances belong to SOFA Entertainment, the same group that owns the Ed Sullivan material. Unlike Sullivan, they haven't released any of Don Kirshner's programs to us, the public. Attribute that to the death of the DVD market? The high cost of getting music releases? It's a shame.

Date: June 16, 2021 23:26

<The Rolling Stones performed an unforgettable and emotive version of “Angie”>

The band mimed and Mick sang (or were his vocals pre-recorded, too?). Taylor on "piano" on one of the Angie-versions smiling smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 16, 2021 23:34

I used to follow and video record DK Rock Concert when they had someone special on. Rolling Stones were a must. Had to be home early Saturday night to man the recorder because I didn't trust the auto start. I am drawing a blank now but there were some great performances (or lip sync) on there, I think I recall a Kinks set that was impressive, but not much else, it was kinda a blur sometimes.

jb

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 17, 2021 00:11

DandelionPowderman

The band mimed and Mick sang (or were his vocals pre-recorded, too?). Taylor on "piano" on one of the Angie-versions smiling smiley

Mick was live, everything else pre-recorded. Charlie looked bored as usual!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1306
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home