Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17
Re: OT: The 2020 UEFA European Football Championship
Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 12, 2021 13:09

Awful way to go out on pens. Being critical -
- should have had grealish, rashford, Sancho on sooner
- didn’t get to grips with Italy second half
- unbelievably harsh on Saka/final pen

On the plus side
- great progress and a young team
- bring on Qatar
- this team have been fabulous, a credit to the country in the way they handled themselves
- Southgate will learn from this

In summary tho, Italy had a great tournament and were the better team

Let’s not forget that this is the best England have done in 55 years and I’m quite proud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 13:10 by yorkshirestone.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 13:32

I wonder if Clapton had something to say about the players who missed the PKs?

[www.espn.com]

yikes.

that being said, the dude who did that stupid tippy-toe dance move before his kick was the worst....just kick the ball, dude.

and the coach is a dumbski for putting those three in the game just to kick the PKs...they were all clearly ice-cold, IMO.

oh well...Italy played better in the 2nd half & OT, I felt....and England got away w/ a Hand Ball the box anyway....I think it was during the 2nd OT. I can't remember.

I also think they should keep playing until somebody scores...PKs are "fun" but I like conditioning, keen substitution and "play till you f'n die" to decide the winner....

I also hate the Designated Hitter (baseball) and "fumble out of the endzone = touchback" (US Football)...both lame.

nothing will ever be worse than the Tuck Rule, though....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 13:37 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 12, 2021 13:37

Paris75014
Next year in Qatar, England will be a serious favourite with Italy.
Maybe they'll meet again in the final ..that would be awsome !

I don’t think England will be anywhere near the final in the World Cup next year they are simply not good enough.England were very fortunate to play some weak teams in this tournament including a below average Germany team and they played all but one of their games at Wembley.When they came up against a world class team in Italy last night they were made to look like children.

Let’s not forget that half the country voted for this result in 2016 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Congratulations to Italy.

Nate

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: July 12, 2021 14:50

Nate
Paris75014

I don’t think England will be anywhere near the final in the World Cup next year they are simply not good enough.England were very fortunate to play some weak teams in this tournament including a below average Germany team and they played all but one of their games at Wembley.When they came up against a world class team in Italy last night they were made to look like children.

Let’s not forget that half the country voted for this result in 2016 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

Here come the jealous haters hating and turning everything into politics.

So after 33 unbeaten games going into this match Italy couldn't beat England after 120 minutes of dirty tricks and fouls and you think England are no way good enough.confused smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 12, 2021 15:08

And frankly, I am not satisfied at all with the way England reached this final, the way they kicked Denmark out, with that disreputable penalty for a so-called foul lacking all body contact, with two balls close to each other on the field at the same time shortly before that so-called foul, with laserpointing the goalkeeper during the penalty shot, and of course with booing the Danish national anthem a.s.o. All that unfairness disappointed me a lot and let my sympathy for the English team vanish.

Now this is what came out from it. Arithmetically their next chance will be after another 55 years' time.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 15:27

Rocktiludrop
Nate
Paris75014

Nate

So after 33 unbeaten games going into this match Italy couldn't beat England after 120 minutes of dirty tricks and fouls and you think England are no way good enough.confused smiley

"Dirty tricks and fouls" ... I think they were equally produced by both teams. Stewart (great soccer player) tried to fool the Dutch referee multiple times with his "schwalben", making him a cheap person. The referee warned Phillips that he would "yellow" him after having observed three dirty moves on Italian players, and so on.
Come on, be a fair looser, Rocktiludrop, be a real Englishman! Keep the Fish & Chips mentality high! Let England be proud of having reached the final ... you can't win them all.
cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: July 12, 2021 16:02

The 2016 jibe was obviously a joke and you should recognise that.You may say that Italy couldn’t beat England in regular time but they are still the vastly superior team and they now have the trophy.You may not accept that England are nowhere near the superpowers of world football but the fact remains they have only been to two finals in their history winning one almost six decades ago and losing the other one both on their home ground.

I am not jealous or hateful towards England I am just a realist and I am also English.

Have a nice day spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: July 12, 2021 16:10

georgie48
Rocktiludrop
Nate
Paris75014

Nate

"Dirty tricks and fouls" ... I think they were equally produced by both teams. Stewart (great soccer player) tried to fool the Dutch referee multiple times with his "schwalben", making him a cheap person. The referee warned Phillips that he would "yellow" him after having observed three dirty moves on Italian players, and so on.
Come on, be a fair looser, Rocktiludrop, be a real Englishman! Keep the Fish & Chips mentality high! Let England be proud of having reached the final ... you can't win them all.
cool smiley

Ok fair enough man , I'll go along with that smileys with beer

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: July 12, 2021 16:21

Lesson no.1: the Cup is on the table
lesson no.2: the table is in Italy

ciao
m.

Date: July 12, 2021 17:11

Forza Italia!

Glad they won. Just as the rest of the world (except England themselfs)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 12, 2021 17:13

I guess there are many teams who could have won this trophy. There isn't one dominating force anymore like Germany and France were for a while. You need stamina and quite a bit of luck to make it.
Luck with seeding or luck in penalty shootouts. Anyway, congrats to Italy who mastered all these obstacles.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 12, 2021 17:47

Nate
Paris75014

I don’t think England will be anywhere near the final in the World Cup next year they are simply not good enough.England were very fortunate to play some weak teams in this tournament including a below average Germany team and they played all but one of their games at Wembley. When they came up against a world class team in Italy last night they were made to look like children.

Nate

Bang on, Nate. My sentiments entirely. Let's not make any pretence about it but England were helped on greatly by a fortunate draw and home advantage in all but one of their games.

They didn't have to play any of the heavyweights outside of a Germany team well below par. They struggled against a very ordinary Scotland and got over the line with a questionable penalty against Denmark.

The England team will grow and they now have a nucleus of young players that will most likely be together for the next 10 years. Don't expect too much from them too soon and yes, the World Cup at the end of next year will likely be too early for it all to come to fruition. But they have certainly roused the country and delivered real hope where before there was just uncertainty.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 18:47

Italy had time of possession 62 %to England38%.Italy had 756 completed passes to England 341.Italy had11chances completed to England 3.After 15 minutes, Italy totally dominated England.

Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 19:44

Taylor1
Italy had time of possession 62 %to England38%.Italy had 756 completed passes to England 341.Italy had11chances completed to England 3.After 15 minutes, Italy totally dominated England.
Impressive statistics !

But dominate doesn't mean you're necessarily better.
There is also strategy and tactic to take into account.
England let the Italians keep the ball for several minutes during the game and tried to take advantage of the space given by their opponents when they were attacking.
They did it many times but they just ran out of efficiency.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 12, 2021 19:51

Mancini, Italy's manager, deserves all the cred for this victory. He made Italy play football, this Italy! And one should also consider the players that could noy make it because injured.

C

PS can somebody explain why the English players pulled the medal off a s soon as they received it?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 12, 2021 20:04

georgie48
Stewart (great soccer player) tried to fool the Dutch referee multiple times with his "schwalben"...

Come on,you can't blame Stu for that...
Beside that I agree with you...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 12, 2021 20:59

liddas
Mancini, Italy's manager, deserves all the cred for this victory. He made Italy play football, this Italy! And one should also consider the players that could noy make it because injured.

C

PS can somebody explain why the English players pulled the medal off a s soon as they received it?

most likely for the same reason why most fans left the stadium - a mixture frustration and impoliteness

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 21:19

Sterling should have kicked one of the penalty shots?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 12, 2021 21:39

slewan
liddas

C

most likely for the same reason why most fans left the stadium - a mixture frustration and impoliteness

Concerning the players...frustration of course,but impoliteness ?
They lost the final,something you dreamt of since you were a kid,and then...dang.
It's all over now...an occasion which probably will never happen again.
So you don't think "cool,I've lost the final,what a fantastic day..." but you
might react to be not proud about a medal marking you the first loser...
and you don't want to be decorated that way longer than neccessary.
This is no sign of disrespect,it's just understandable.
Nothing new,could be seen at many (club)tournaments before...

Date: July 12, 2021 21:47

shortfatfanny
georgie48
Stewart (great soccer player) tried to fool the Dutch referee multiple times with his "schwalben"...

Come on,you can't blame Stu for that...
Beside that I agree with you...

I don't really blame him. "schwalben" are common practice these days. But Stu did a couple too many. He still has to learn how to keep it under control. Better two rewarded than ten ignored grinning smiley
But the guy is really good!

Date: July 12, 2021 22:05

liddas

Out of frustration I think.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 12, 2021 22:24

georgie48
RobertJohnson
georgie48
After two minutes I had the same feeling as I had in 1974 (while in Tokyo watching the WC final live) when the Dutch scored within 5 minutes against the Germans ... Aaah, this is far too early to cheer. And yes, the Dutch (being by far the best team during that championship) ... lost.
Euforism is merely "fooling yourself".
Sorry Big Al, it's "pizza" after all. Still England should be happy with its overall performance during this championship. Too bad that Racism surfaced so quickly. Some can't hide their sick minds.
Next year there is another chance (as long as England doesn't meet the Dutch team grinning smiley).
smileys with beer

Not within 5 minutes. After 1 minute ... per penalty which was not a penalty. Uli Hoeneß fouled Johann Cruyff in front of the penalty area. And Gerd Müller scored in the second half another goal ... which was no offside ...Then the game would have been decided early on.

Thanks for the details RJ! 47 years ... well, 1 minute was within 5 minutes grinning smiley
Anyway, the Dutch were "the stars" of the tournament (according to the Japanese newspapers, I read the English versions cool smiley) but over-confidence "killed the beast". Were the English over-confident this time?

I saw the match then. I remember many details. The brute penalty shot by Johan Neeskens in the middle of Sepp Meier's goal in the first minute (Look at this, England!). The German team touched the ball not even once till then. At the end I was glad that my team won the match and the Championship. Both teams played wonderful football. Although the German team from 72 which won the European Championship was even better. Unfortunately our friends from Holland often plays wonderful football, but only in the preliminary round. This time, too.

Date: July 12, 2021 22:43

You are too kind RJ. The Dutch coach had introduced the 5-3-2 system, which was a very strange decision. The Dutch defence was chaotic in the first matches and they got away with a lucky win against Ukraine. Austria and North Macedonia allowed them to play and then there was some very nice football. Against the Tsjechs it became a mix between 5-3-2 and 4-3-3. Dreadful. Unlike England and Italy the Dutch coach failed to make a TEAM. Louis van Gaal (could be the next coach, once again) said "een veredeld stelletje sterren konden het niet waarmaken" or "a selection of ennobled stars couldn't make it".
I remember Real Madrid once having the most expensive selection with all super star players, bound to become champion of Spain ... but they didn't. It wasn't a team.

Posted by: theo1954 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 22:55

The Netherlands should never have gotten to the final stages in 1974.
Belgium scored a perfect goal in the last game in the preliminaries, but the goal was disallowed, wrongly. And the rest is history.

Date: July 12, 2021 22:55

Yes the Galacticos of Real Madrid a collection of some of the finest players in the world at that time including my favourite player of all time the sublime Zinedine Zidane.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 22:57 by Nate.

Date: July 12, 2021 23:07

georgie48
You are too kind RJ. The Dutch coach had introduced the 5-3-2 system, which was a very strange decision. The Dutch defence was chaotic in the first matches and they got away with a lucky win against Ukraine. Austria and North Macedonia allowed them to play and then there was some very nice football. Against the Tsjechs it became a mix between 5-3-2 and 4-3-3. Dreadful. Unlike England and Italy the Dutch coach failed to make a TEAM. Louis van Gaal (could be the next coach, once again) said "een veredeld stelletje sterren konden het niet waarmaken" or "a selection of ennobled stars couldn't make it".
I remember Real Madrid once having the most expensive selection with all super star players, bound to become champion of Spain ... but they didn't. It wasn't a team.

I have a good memory of Louis van Gaal. He introduced "Ballbesitzfußball" at Bayern Munich. Pep Guardiola and Hans Flick then built on that. Van Gaal is in the tradition of Johan Cruyff, who introduced "total football" at Barcelona. So Tiki Taka is a bit in the tradition of Dutch football.

Date: July 12, 2021 23:17

RobertJohnson
georgie48

I have a good memory of Louis van Gaal. He introduced "Ballbesitzfußball" at Bayern Munich. Pep Guardiola and Hans Flick then built on that. Van Gaal is in the tradition of Johan Cruyff, who introduced "total football" at Barcelona. So Tiki Taka is a bit in the tradition of Dutch football.

You're right. Barcelona at its peak were the best in Cruijff's way of playing soccer. Pep and Hans were great fans of his. Van Gaal and Cruijff sort of didn't like eachother people wise, but soccer wise they were in line cool smiley
We'll see if Louis takes the job and gets the team to the semi-finals in Qatar grinning smiley

Date: July 12, 2021 23:39

georgie48
RobertJohnson
georgie48

You're right. Barcelona at its peak were the best in Cruijff's way of playing soccer. Pep and Hans were great fans of his. Van Gaal and Cruijff sort of didn't like eachother people wise, but soccer wise they were in line cool smiley
We'll see if Louis takes the job and gets the team to the semi-finals in Qatar grinning smiley

I don't mind. But a new edition of 74 would be ideal. But I'm sure there are some among us who would like something else.grinning smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 13, 2021 12:57

TheflyingDutchman
liddas

Out of frustration I think.

I was thinking the same watching the scene. But my son told me that all those who pulled off the medal were still in a red sweatshirt over their jersey and that without medal it might be easier to take the sweatshirt off. Could that be? Or mere coincidence?

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: July 13, 2021 13:15

Congrats to all.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home