Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 15 of 17
Re: OT: The 2020 UEFA European Football Championship
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 12, 2021 02:06

Congratulations, Italy!

Never let the youngest
shoot the last penalties.
Maguire and Kane had to
do it. So the blame is
on a 19 year old now.
Not good.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 12, 2021 02:27

I don't know if the numbers make that much difference. Either you're prepared to take the penalty or you're not. I don't understand why so much pressure was put on the substitutes though.
Italy missed the first penalty. And a second. But 2 out of 5 is not a winning combo. On the positive side: England never lost a game over 90 minutes. And they won against Germany, 2-0.
And moreover - making it to the final can never be anything but well done. It's just the icing on the cake that's missing...

Date: July 12, 2021 02:39

Poor Shaw, scored his first goal in team England and did a very good game overall. Just a penalty away from a hero status.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 12, 2021 02:43

England were the better side in first half, and Italy were really getting better in second half.
Extra time could have gone either way and it had to go to penalties.

It's like a toss of a coin, and not a great way of getting to win a Final in a competition that has been for about a month.

Make possible date available 5-7 days after the Final for a replay.

Doesn't effect the whole competition, and the two teams involved would know that it is definitely going to be a proper result to football teams who get to the Final. thumbs up

Date: July 12, 2021 02:52

I don't believe in that proposition, Crawdaddy. The players had well over 120 minutes to score a decisive result. You can't possibly ask for more than that.

Date: July 12, 2021 02:55

...And I don't believe penalties is like tossing a coin. It is actually about skills. And nerves of course. Something professional athletes are paid to master.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 12, 2021 02:57

As always penalties are nervous breaking.....maybe they should skip it.......and decide who played the best their are dozens of parameters they can use to calculate it........and I think the games would be more exciting to watch.....no dull moments anymore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 03:05 by NICOS.

Date: July 12, 2021 03:00

Well, perhaps they should do like the NHL then. Play seven finals...

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: July 12, 2021 03:06

Stoneage
...And I don't believe penalties is like tossing a coin. It is actually about skills. And nerves of course. Something professional athletes are paid to master.

At the end of the day the manager picks the penalty takers, i blame the manager for picking young inexperienced players to take them, there might have been a degree of PC in his decision.
Why did he not pick senior pros like Shaw, Stirling or Grealish to take them.
That's the last time i get behind England unless Southgate gets replaced, made terrible decisions all night.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 03:09

crawdaddy
England were the better side in first half, and Italy were really getting better in second half.

It's like a toss of a coin, and not a great way of getting to win a Final in a competition that has been for about a month.

Doesn't effect the whole competition, and the two teams involved would know that it is definitely going to be a proper result to football teams who get to the Final. thumbs up
italy was better the whole match except for the first two minutes . They had several shots on goal and more posessions. Was Mick there today

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 03:17 by Taylor1.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 12, 2021 03:22

Rocktiludrop
Stoneage

At the end of the day the manager picks the penalty takers, i blame the manager for picking young inexperienced players to take them, there might have been a degree of PC in his decision.
Why did he not pick senior pros like Shaw, Stirling or Grealish to take them.
That's the last time i get behind England unless Southgate gets replaced, made terrible decisions all night.

Maybe the youngsters did well at the training....but what is a training compare to real live confused smiley.........I think that's the problem

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 12, 2021 03:42

Taylor1
crawdaddy

italy was better the whole match except for the first two minutes . They had several shots on goal and more posessions. Was Mick there today

I disagree with that completely about England and only two minutes playing well.

A rotten way to win a Final of any sort, but there's got to be a winner.........announced as soon as possible I guess. confused smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 04:45

How many shots on goal did England have. And didn't Italy have more time ofposessions.

Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 07:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 07:54 by Paris75014.

Date: July 12, 2021 07:51

Quique-stone
KingmanBarstow
Stoneage
Yep, Rashford's penalty. Dancing around the ball, concentrating too much on the goalie. I was thinking - will he kick the ball or not?

A very stupid and costly move, why disco dance before the kick?

I really don't like this style of shooting...from anyone, even from my team's palyers.
yes honestly, it was a bit ridiculous.
I suppose he was in a state of intense pressure.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 12, 2021 07:59

Congratulations to Italy!

Terrible to see the knives out for Gareth Southgate. An honourable man. Also not nice to see the violence some Italian supporters faced at the end.

The guys who stood up to take the penalties are playing Russian roulette after 120 mins in which the game could have been won. Italy had all the possession and more shots on target. The Italian defence, experienced but over 35 and balding (all Italian defences that I can remember have at least 2 of these)should have been run at more (Englands starting 11 were enough for this)

England were lucky to get through to the final, and were also lucky the tournament was this summer and not last summer. Kane was injured then, grealish & sakho wouldn’t have been in the squad...

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 10:13

Bravo Italy!

(but to be honest Spain was the best team)

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 10:27

After two minutes I had the same feeling as I had in 1974 (while in Tokyo watching the WC final live) when the Dutch scored within 5 minutes against the Germans ... Aaah, this is far too early to cheer. And yes, the Dutch (being by far the best team during that championship) ... lost.
Euforism is merely "fooling yourself".
Sorry Big Al, it's "pizza" after all. Still England should be happy with its overall performance during this championship. Too bad that Racism surfaced so quickly. Some can't hide their sick minds.
Next year there is another chance (as long as England doesn't meet the Dutch team grinning smiley).
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 12, 2021 11:12

georgie48
After two minutes I had the same feeling as I had in 1974 (while in Tokyo watching the WC final live) when the Dutch scored within 5 minutes against the Germans ... Aaah, this is far too early to cheer. And yes, the Dutch (being by far the best team during that championship) ... lost.
Sorry Big Al, it's "pizza" after all. Still England should be happy with its overall performance during this championship. Too bad that Racism surfaced so quickly. Some can't hide their sick minds.
Next year there is another chance (as long as England doesn't meet the Dutch team grinning smiley).
smileys with beer

Not within 5 minutes. After 1 minute ... per penalty which was not a penalty. Uli Hoeneß fouled Johann Cruyff in front of the penalty area. And Gerd Müller scored in the second half another goal ... which was no offside ...Then the game would have been decided early on.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 12, 2021 11:22

This may have been the first time I was a big fan of both teams in a game. I love England, and I love Italy. Great game! The big difference was the best player in the championship, the Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma, age 22. He was just brilliant all through the game.

I don't understand why England coach Southgate had to add two "cold" players into the team 118 minutes into the game, just for penalty kicks. Rashford and Sancho did not have the adrenaline rush the rest of the team mates had. Missing three out of five penalty shots is partly bad luck, but also partly a result of coaching.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 12, 2021 11:35

When you lose the game after the penalties, you had in mind those last minutes for years.It's really a nightmare for the team, the player who miss the final one and indeed for the people who support their team.
I still have in mind Germany-France in the semi-final of the World Cup in 1982, where France lost, the final of the World up of 2006 and also the last euro final when France played vs Portugal.
All these games lost remains in people mind, but after those dark days, we've got some shinny ones, and England could have some hope in the next World Cup.

HMN

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 12, 2021 11:49

I was never a fan of a penalty shoot out. There are other possibilities to decide a game. Maybe a sudden death overtime with eight players on each side after 120 minutes. Or the team with the most ball possession in 120 minutes wins or the team with the most corners ...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2021 11:52

Losing a final after the penalties is really hard, we italians know it very well too (usa 1994), we even lost a Euro final in 2000 with the soon to be forgotten awkward rule of the "golden goal".

Last night was a tough game, also a strange one since, after the early score, it was England to make "catenaccio" most of the time while Italy had ball possession. It might be bitter to face defeat after all the hope to bring back home a cup but imo english supporters should be proud and not angry with their team and players because they played a great tournament and gave it all in the final

Italy was probably not the best team in terms of players this time but sure it was the most tight, unite one and, for a change in tradition, we tried to control the game and play more than be back and defend. when we had to (against spain) we were tough and lucky

in the end I think we deserved the cup

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 11:53

RobertJohnson
georgie48
smileys with beer

Not within 5 minutes. After 1 minute ... per penalty which was not a penalty. Uli Hoeneß fouled Johann Cruyff in front of the penalty area. And Gerd Müller scored in the second half another goal ... which was no offside ...Then the game would have been decided early on.

Thanks for the details RJ! 47 years ... well, 1 minute was within 5 minutes grinning smiley
Anyway, the Dutch were "the stars" of the tournament (according to the Japanese newspapers, I read the English versions cool smiley) but over-confidence "killed the beast". Were the English over-confident this time?

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: July 12, 2021 12:11

bv

I don't understand why England coach Southgate had to add two "cold" players into the team 118 minutes into the game, just for penalty kicks. Rashford and Sancho did not have the adrenaline rush the rest of the team mates had. Missing three out of five penalty shots is partly bad luck, but also partly a result of coaching.
Southgate is not stupid so I suppose that he chose the players who were physically able to shoot penalties...
those who were too tired were put apart.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 12, 2021 12:26

Paris75014
bv

Southgate is not stupid so I suppose that he chose the players who were physically able to shoot penalties...
those who were too tired were put apart.

most likely he also asked the players if they felt mentally and physically fit enough for the task. When Southgate and the players formed a circle before the shoot out I couldn't see any players who willingly stepped forward saying 'I want to shoot a penalty and I'm going to score'. My impression was rather that a lot of players where too shy or too worried to do what they should have done. How many of the players were actually willing and/or looking forward to do what needed to be done? In other words: Southgate didn't have to many willing players to choose from…

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 12, 2021 12:37

WC 2018 : France - Croatia - Belgium - England
EC 2021 : Italy - England - Spain & Denmark

So...England is the only team reaching the top 4 in this
last two tournaments in a row,which is very tough...it's a team which might develop further..
Respect to Italy,well deserved title but to England as well.

Date: July 12, 2021 12:48

Next year in Qatar, England will be a serious favourite with Italy.
Maybe they'll meet again in the final ..that would be awsome !

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 12, 2021 13:02

Coming down again...?

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: July 12, 2021 13:05

Disappointed but the best team on the night did win. Italy had the harder draw as well in order to reach the final.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 15 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home