Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17
Re: OT: The 2020 UEFA European Football Championship
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 8, 2021 17:22

Bjorn
Wembley. Wembley. Wembley. And then - Wembley. And Wembley. This is so fair. Really fair. Isn´t it? Hope for Chiellini and the boys on Sunday.

The finals were basically hosted by England. But I don't think it's unfair the home team wins, that happened many times before in the Euro and World Cup

Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: July 8, 2021 17:24

"England have been charged by UEFA after Kasper Schmeichel was targeted with a laser whilst trying to save Harry Kane's penalty."

England charged by UEFA

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 8, 2021 18:21

HonkyTonkJan
The penalty cannot be described as 'soft'. It was quite simply a total dive from Sterling, with zero contact. He conned the referee and cheated Denmark.

O tempora, o mores!

We may say that Sterling's impressive dive - he must have studied closely Immobile's footage - puts the word end to 35 years of discussions on the 1986 "hand of god" goal ...

C

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 8, 2021 18:54

NilsHolgersson
Bjorn
Wembley. Wembley. Wembley. And then - Wembley. And Wembley. This is so fair. Really fair. Isn´t it? Hope for Chiellini and the boys on Sunday.

The finals were basically hosted by England. But I don't think it's unfair the home team wins, that happened many times before in the Euro and World Cup

Last time the Euros were won by the Host Nation was France 1984.
For the World Cup, it was also France - in 1998.

So it's actually an infrequent occurrence nowadays. England have enjoyed a very kind draw to the Final, with all the tough teams like Spain, France and Belgium on the other side. I personally believe Italy are a far better side but football is played on grass not paper so we'll see. Italy will be well supported with a large Italian community in the region.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 8, 2021 18:56

The reason I used the term soft was that referees were instructed before the championship not to take "soft" penalties. The referee should have used the VAR room in this case. They would have advised him not to take the penalty. I guess it was prestige for the referee. And the pressure from the home spectators... Anyway, England was the better team from about 5 minutes after the Danes scored and the rest of the game.

Date: July 8, 2021 19:04

Stoneage
The reason I used the term soft was that referees were instructed before the championship not to take "soft" penalties. The referee should have used the VAR room in this case. They would have advised him not to take the penalty. I guess it was prestige for the referee. And the pressure from the home spectators... Anyway, England was the better team from about 5 minutes after the Danes scored and the rest of the game.

The penalty incident was a shameful act of deception by Sterling and VAR should have been consulted properly, which it clearly wasn't. However, England are far from the 1st ever sinners in this tactic. They are following a very well trodden path going back decades.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: July 8, 2021 19:49

Harry Kane was man of the match for me, how many times was he targeted as usual but still penetrates any defence and is so creative at creating chances at every turn.
Stirling great in that game but runs the chance of losing the ball, something the Italians will punish him on, holds into the ball a little too long imho.

Why so many claiming we won on a soft penalty, Harry Kane was robbed of a clear penalty earlier in the game, the soft penalty evened things out, England had some mean decisions from the referee throughout the match, at one point we were playing against 12 men.

I cant count the amount of shit referee decisions England have had throughout my lifetime, plenty of rotten luck too, look the best team won on the night, England deserved it.
Why always the jealousy when it comes to England, you want to watch cheats, wait for the final, so called men will fall to the floor and cry without being touched.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-08 19:56 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 8, 2021 20:21

I'm really glad Mick was at the match last night and looking forward to see him at the Final on Sunday evening.

He should have been sitting in the area where Prince William and David Beckham were.

He has been an English national icon since the 60's and if Ed Sheeran got into that area last week, Mick should.

He would have loved that, I'm sure, instead of looking like 'Billy no mates' with just his security guy for company.

Only joking as I know Mick could get in anywhere if he wanted to.thumbs up

Looking forward to the Sunday final, and although Italy are a truly great team,England will do the job and become Euro Champions.smileys with beer

Date: July 8, 2021 20:31

grzegorz67
NilsHolgersson
Bjorn

So it's actually an infrequent occurrence nowadays.

Oh, you factchecked me. Well, I remember the Netherlands losing to West Germany in West Germany in the '74 final and to Argentina in Argentina in the '78 final, so my memory might be a bit coloured. But the home team might also crumble under the pressure.. like Brazil when they got beaten by 1-7 by Germany

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-08 20:32 by NilsHolgersson.

Date: July 8, 2021 20:53

NilsHolgersson
grzegorz67
NilsHolgersson
Bjorn

So it's actually an infrequent occurrence nowadays.

Oh, you factchecked me. Well, I remember the Netherlands losing to West Germany in West Germany in the '74 final and to Argentina in Argentina in the '78 final, so my memory might be a bit coloured. But the home team might also crumble under the pressure.. like Brazil when they got beaten by 1-7 by Germany

Only because I remember all these tournaments well.

In fairness There was a run of 3 World Cups out of 4 won by host nations from 1966 to 1978. Of those 4 tournaments, Only Mexico 1970, won by Brazil went to a non host nation. You are right that bring host nation can bring a burden of expectation which isn’t always helpful, as Brazil discovered in 2014...

Date: July 8, 2021 21:28

smileys with beer

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 9, 2021 01:11

Rocktiludrop
...Harry Kane was robbed of a clear penalty earlier in the game...

You forgot to mention that he's been lucky to do not get a yellow card at the very end of the extra time when he deliberately touch the ball with his arm to stop one of the last danish goalie relaunch.

HMN

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: July 9, 2021 10:10

Honestman
Rocktiludrop
...Harry Kane was robbed of a clear penalty earlier in the game...

You forgot to mention that he's been lucky to do not get a yellow card at the very end of the extra time when he deliberately touch the ball with his arm to stop one of the last danish goalie relaunch.

Didn't forget to mention it, just wasn't worth mentioning, wrong end of the pitch my friend, would have made no difference had the referee allowed a free kick, and a booking would have made no difference to Harry at the very end of the game.
Be honest how many times was Harry brought down in that game, he was targeted , don't give me that old BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-10 03:48 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 9, 2021 13:42

Mick broke the quarantine rules when he flew from France and then went to the game at Wembley, so I am not sure it would be smart of him to do it one more time on Sunday, for the final game, but we will see... Sure he can afford the £10,000 fine both one time and even one more time, it's more a matter of leading by example.

Mick Jagger broke quarantine rules to watch England's Euro clash

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-09 13:48 by bv.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 9, 2021 22:17

as italian, hope for a great final and the best team to win smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 9, 2021 22:30

bv
Mick broke the quarantine rules when he flew from France and then went to the game at Wembley, so I am not sure it would be smart of him to do it one more time on Sunday, for the final game, but we will see... Sure he can afford the £10,000 fine both one time and even one more time, it's more a matter of leading by example.

Mick Jagger broke quarantine rules to watch England's Euro clash

Normally would agree 100% with this, but I also know what it's like to be very passionate about certain live monumental events winking smiley

Course, there's no example I would be setting (and that ship kinda sailed for Mick). But if the Stones unexpectedly scheduled a show just in Vancouver for ex, I live very close and if there was a quarantine requirement I couldn't wait on (not sure of Mick's situation) you can bet my fully vaxxed, double tested, and masked self would break it to attend.

Date: July 10, 2021 08:07

maumau
I have italian origins but please maumau tell your compatriots not to play la comedia dell'arte tomorrow !
thanks and good luck smileys with beer

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 10, 2021 18:30

Forza ITALIA!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 10, 2021 20:19

Paris75014
maumau
I have italian origins but please maumau tell your compatriots not to play la comedia dell'arte tomorrow !
thanks and good luck smileys with beer

mmmh I know what you mean and I hate that but I would say that if we were teachers now we see on the pitch a lot of disciples that have surpassed the masters if not in the commedia dell'arte in the art of diving at least... winking smiley
Having said that, I think England deserved the final and is frankly the favourite team for 2 reasons: better players over all and the strongest defense up until now.
we hope to overturn that of course! smileys with beer

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: July 10, 2021 21:40

I’m so looking forward to this game, I’ve waited a long time to see England in a major final. I will be nervous on Sunday but something tells me that we have enough quality and self belief to win the thing. #threelions

It will not be easy but England are going to win it. Please!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 10, 2021 23:34

Well, France was the big time favorite before the tournament. But they choked. Belgium played really well for a while but choked in the end. The Danes were too lightweight against England. England, of course, has been groomed to the final playing all their games, except one, on Wembley. I think the key game was the win against Germany. Their first since 1966 in a major event. Italy has looked good so far, a bit lucky against Spain though. But that's what you need in the end. Luck. It may be decided by penalties. And you may become a hero on a soft penalty in the end. That's football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-11 00:05 by Stoneage.

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: July 11, 2021 00:09

The final winner will be the virus I guess...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 11, 2021 00:33

Stoneage
...And you may become a hero on a soft penalty in the end. That's football.
or be damned for a while...

HMN

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 11, 2021 01:49

Well, football fever has definitely been the main topic on most TV News channels UK, on TV tonight, and rightly so. thumbs up

All is going well for the England team, and given a great send off from their training area to their overnight hotel.

Seen Gareth and Harry Styles, and also John Stones giving lengthy live interviews Saturday afternoon and great to hear what they had to say. thumbs up

I guess it's just the same in Italy today.

Really looking forward to the game, and also as a warmup, BBC have got Brazil v Argentina Final of the Copa America live sometime after 1am.

Teams just coming out at The Maracana Stadium in Rio, and great memories of the first Rolling Stones gig in South America for me, and two more in Sao Paulo and the best one of all in Porto Alegre. Great memories of great times. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-11 03:00 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: July 11, 2021 02:13

Never in my life time, that I thought I would see England in a major final.

Respective who wins, fair play to both teams in getting to the final.

If for ever reason England win, for me, it will be an eventual moment in my life.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 11, 2021 03:29

I'm watching right now from Montana USA. Tape delayed.

plexi

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2021 04:30

In a Covent Garden public house at some point during the early-to-mid 19th century, a group of men sat down at a table and laid the groundwork for the founding of the Football Association (F.A.). If it were not for this happening, the modern game of association football as we know it, would not exist.

Made in London; made in England. Bring football home!

Date: July 11, 2021 10:43

tonight's the night !
especially for England...they play in their garden so it's today or never.

to me, it's the most difficult prediction to be done.

England has the best defense and good strikers too.
Italy is strong due to it's team spirit and play a wilful soccer.

I see England win in extra time 2-1.

Very difficult prediction !
anyway, good luck to each team and may they give us a great show !

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2021 11:58

If England are going to win, the victory will be achieved during the 90 minutes, if it goes to penalties, we’re royally screwed.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 11, 2021 12:07

2-2 and penalties. Donnarumma will be the hero. :-)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home