Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17
Re: OT: The 2020 UEFA European Football Championship
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 18, 2021 12:10

Nate
MadMax
Stoneage
There has been a debate over men's fashion here. There seems to be a fashion among experts/journalist/commentators in the tv-studios to wear white sneakers with suits and tie.
Some say it is more casual and therefore a good thing. Some have reacted badly to it though and called it a breach of etiquette. I don't know what to think really. What do you think?

You don't wear trainers to a suit, end of. If they want to have summat comfy on their feet they oughta have YSL loafers with inlays or the best, Clarks' Wallabees. I always use the Wallabees to my suits, they look sharp and are very comfy.

If you’ve got a great sense of style you can pull it off.
Unfortunately for most people they don’t.

Nate

To wear trainers with a suit? Then one doesn't have a sense of style to start off with!winking smiley

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 18, 2021 12:26

My acca for today -
- Sweden
-Croatia
-England

Although I’m due an off day wales/Italy double on weds and a successful treble yesterday

Fingers crossed for England tonight, missed Sunday’s game due to travelling

Also sone talk in media today about 2500 VIPs being allowed to skirt the usual 10 day quarantine in the uk from uefa etc.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 18, 2021 12:38

yorkshirestone
My acca for today -
- Sweden
-Croatia
-England

Although I’m due an off day wales/Italy double on weds and a successful treble yesterday

Also sone talk in media today about 2500 VIPs being allowed to skirt the usual 10 day quarantine in the uk from uefa etc.

This is exactly the reason why when I return from abroad next month I will not be complying with any quarantine requirements.The U.K. government can go fxxk themselves.

Nate

Date: June 18, 2021 13:44

Nate
yorkshirestone
My acca for today -
- Sweden
-Croatia
-England

This is exactly the reason why when I return from abroad next month I will not be complying with any quarantine requirements.The U.K. government can go fxxk themselves.

Nate

thumbs up AMEN!

Date: June 18, 2021 13:46

yorkshirestone
My acca for today -
- Sweden
-Croatia
-England

So no draws mate? I bet Sweden and Croatia to draw, England will probably get the better of the Scotsmen.

Date: June 18, 2021 14:20

MadMax
yorkshirestone
My acca for today -
- Sweden
-Croatia
-England

So no draws mate? I bet Sweden and Croatia to draw, England will probably get the better of the Scotsmen.

Think it’s getting to the point now where teams have to go for it to qualify. Also fun fact - 6 days in and only been two draws so far :-)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2021 18:12

Swedes were a bit lucky against Slovakia. 1-0 on penalty in the second half. There was a VAR situation (against Sweden, hands) in the last minute of the game
but the referee decided to ignore it. Sweden is, most probably, through to the round of 16 now (4 points in 2 games).

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 18, 2021 21:15

I have a few friends in Glasgow - did a Citizens Theatre play-thing together a few years agp - so I am looking forward to this game. And yes, Sweden are safe now. cool smiley

Date: June 19, 2021 00:13

The second 0-0 game so far, England-Scotland, in the rain. Czechia and Croatia also drew, 1-1. Which means Scotland has to win
against Croatia in their third game in order to make it to the round of 16. A more than difficult task...

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 19, 2021 00:43

How embarrassing for Blighty that even on home turf at Wembley they couldn’t beat a team ranked 937th in the world.

Nate grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-19 00:45 by Nate.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 19, 2021 00:53

Stoneage
The second 0-0 game so far, England-Scotland, in the rain. Czechia and Croatia also drew, 1-1. Which means Scotland has to win
against Croatia in their third game in order to make it to the round of 16. A more than difficult task...

Watching two more than disappointing matches by Croatia it might be difficult but not impossible for Scotland to beat them...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 19, 2021 15:24

England v Scotland at Wembley was a good game even though no goals were scored.

Scotland should be quite happy with the way the team performed. thumbs up

England on the other hand, had better play a lot better if they are going to get through the next round of matches.

I really do hope Scotland will beat Croatia and make it through.thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 19, 2021 15:56

crawdaddy

Oh, I don't. Just because they're fellow Brits, doesn't mean we should support them! winking smiley

Date: June 19, 2021 17:53

Dreadful stuff yesterday evening - typical of England to ruin a good group stage! Can’t imagine what shoreline the Italians would have got against us. Pffft. Looking forward to Germany Portugal in an hour

Date: June 19, 2021 19:51

France only managed a draw against Hungary in the group of death, 1-1. 1-1 now between Portugal and Germany - Ronaldo scored of course - in the same group.

There have been some other memorable moments also: The biting gate; German player Rüdiger bit French player Pogba in the shoulder. Uefa decided not to punish him however;
and the Coca-Cola gate - Ronaldo removed some Coke bottles during a press conference claiming people should drink water instead.
Apparently the Coca-Cola stocks dropped significantly on the stock market due to that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-19 20:33 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 19, 2021 20:09

France looked very incoherent. The Germany - Portugal game is very entertaining.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 19, 2021 20:58

Koen
France looked very incoherent. The Germany - Portugal game is very entertaining.
Yeah France played very so-so today, from memory , I've never seen so much fighting spirit at the beginning of a game from the hungarian team.

HMN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 19, 2021 21:20

I just wonder how much these great players actually have been playing together as a team. I mean, Mbappe and Pogba, or Fernandes and Ronaldo, or Kane with all the other great England players, they all perform great in their own teams, but when they appear on their national teams, they do not work as a clockwork at all. Blame it on the corona pandemic? I don't know. It is easier to play defensive than offensive.

Bjornulf

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: June 19, 2021 21:39

bv
I just wonder how much these great players actually have been playing together as a team. I mean, Mbappe and Pogba, or Fernandes and Ronaldo, or Kane with all the other great England players, they all perform great in their own teams, but when they appear on their national teams, they do not work as a clockwork at all. Blame it on the corona pandemic? I don't know. It is easier to play defensive than offensive.
I think they have less chance to play together as a team. Very disappointed as an Englishman with the game. Scotland are obviously very pleased. England must do better or may return home!!

Date: June 19, 2021 21:42

It is easier for the big stars to perform in their club teams because everything is centered around them there and their clubs always resides in the top of the league. A big star like Ronaldo, of course,
always delivers in his national team also. But he doesn't have the back up of his club team so even if he delivers Portugal may still lose. Like they did today against Germany.
They are still the reigning champions though. Nothing can take that away from them.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: June 19, 2021 21:53

Koen

That was helluva game.

Date: June 19, 2021 22:47

Because the premiership is a well renowned football league and have many international fans, like in Norway, many believes that England should dominate the UEFA/FIFA WC or EC as well.
I'm afraid that is seldom the case. England won the WC in 1966. That's about it. Still they are, kind of, being portrayed as a top candidate to win before every international tournament.
They are still a good team though. It's just the fact that it's far in between actually winning something...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-19 22:51 by Stoneage.

Date: June 19, 2021 22:56

Big Al
crawdaddy

Oh, I don't. Just because they're fellow Brits, doesn't mean we should support them! winking smiley

I'm not saying all of us should support them , but I've always supported England,Scotland,Wales,Northern Ireland and Ireland in international competition ............whoever they play.

Ideal semi finals for me would be all the four nations in the U.K. and England winning the semi, and the final.................. and thrashing whoever they play against. smileys with beer

Date: June 20, 2021 00:47

Big effort by the Poles, 1-1 against Spain. Which keeps them in the tournament. Spain, with only two draws so far, has to win against Slovakia in their last game to qualify for the next round.
Germany - Portugal, 4-2, by far the best game this day.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 20, 2021 01:13

Stoneage
Big effort by the Poles, 1-1 against Spain. Which keeps them in the tournament. Spain, with only two draws so far, has to win against Slovakia in their last game to qualify for the next round.
Germany - Portugal, 4-2, by far the best game this day.

Indeed a great game by Germany - Portugal for me the most enjoyably game so far.....

Date: June 20, 2021 01:29

Yes! Germany 4 Portugal 2 was the best game I've seen so far in the tournament.thumbs up

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 20, 2021 11:54

crawdaddy
Yes! Germany 4 Portugal 2 was the best game I've seen so far in the tournament.thumbs up

Maybe. But the German team has the same weaknesses it has had under Löw for 15 years. The instability of the defence repeatedly causes grotesque goals against. A goal conceded after a corner of their own should mean elimination in the knockout round against strong opponents like Italy, France or Belgium. The fact that Germany became world champions under Löw had little to do with the coach. His colleague at the time was Hans Flick, who is now his successor and won everything that could be won with Bayern Munich in the 19/20 season (6 titles).

Posted by: Paris75014 ()
Date: June 20, 2021 20:01

For the moment, to me Italy is a serious outsider, then comes Belgium...

I long for the game Portugal vs France, both of them are legitimately the favorites of the competition.

France was very good against Germany and disappointing against Hungary.

Portugal cracked up against Germany so it's difficult to say if they will be able to scale up their game level...They will have to if they want to go further.

Date: June 20, 2021 21:15

Okay, Italy won their group. 7-0 and 9 points. Not bad. Wales through on second place. Switzerland stand a good chance to qualify with 4 points on third place in the group.
Turkey out after 3 straight losses. I wonder what Dictator Erdogan will say about that?

Date: June 21, 2021 14:41

Some interesting games today: Finland probably needs one point against Belgium in order to secure qualification and Denmark must win against Russia.
Denmark on home turf though, maybe an advantage?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home