Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: O.T. Your best live gigs you have been to.
Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: January 15, 2023 01:22

Jimi Hendrix - San Diego - 1969
Janis Joplin & The Kosmic Blues Band - San Diego - 1969
The Rolling Stones [Let It Bleed tour] - San Diego - 1969
The Doors - San Diego 1970
The Rolling Stones [Exile on Main Street tour] San Diego 1972
The Mahavishnu Orchestra [Inner Mountain Flame tour] San Diego 1973
Traffic - San Diego 1973
Led Zeppelin - San Diego 1973
The Rolling Stones [TOTA tour] LA Forum 1975
Bob Marley & The Wailers [Survival tour] San Diego 1979
The New Barbarians - San Diego 1979
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band [Doc at The Radar Station tour] Whiskey A Go Go LA 1980
Sir Douglas Quintet [Border Wave tour] The Palomino Club LA 1983
John Hiatt & The Goners [Bring The family tour] San Diego 1988
Keith Richards & The X- Winos [Talk is Cheap tour] Hollywood Palladium 1988
Marianne Faithfull & Barry Reynolds [Acoustic Tour] San Diego 1990

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 15, 2023 04:34

oxegen
Cream reunion shows - RAH, London. May 2005 (2 shows)
Neil Young - solo Greendale shows. May 2003 (3 shows). Vicar St., Dublin.
The Beach Boys - 50th Anniversary tour. RAH, London. September 2012.
Eagles - Odyssey Arena, Belfast. July 2009.
Spirit - Rainbow Theatre, London. March 1978.

Lots more but those are my top five.

Spirit was always good, saw them a couple of times. First time they opened for Steppenwolf, blew them away.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 15, 2023 12:49

Stones 1970

Ike & Tina 1972

ZZ Top 2002

... Who, Kinks, Small Faces, Rory, Pink Floyd, Rod, Led Zep and so many more.
But these three above are my top 3.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: January 15, 2023 17:07

tommyturbo76
Since I've seen shows since 1969 (Fanny was the headliner!), I'll go opposite. Out of perhaps 200 shows and maybe 140 groups, I'll consider 198 of them great.

The WORST were simply disappointing, unfortunately very memorable, and the only two times I felt like my money was stolen.

- George Harrison 1974 (poor performance, no voice, snafus on stage)
- Ted Nugent 2000's; I walked out furious after what he did 30 minutes in (I won't write about it was)

Fanny, wow. I’ve never come across anyone who’s seen them but I love them.. I’m with you, many shows, most good cuz, ya know, it’s live music! Couple “glad I got ta go” memories tho: Peter Gabriel opening for Bowie in Vancouver for Serious Moonlight, James Brown in Alaska, and many shows at the Village Gate when my friend worked there and would sneak me in

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: January 15, 2023 19:27

The best?

Possibly the young "Nashville Masters" (Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck & co.) in Prague around 1985. Absolute eye opener.

Ike Turner (Jazz Cafe London 2008) and JJ Cale (London 1992) were amazing.

And then of course all the Stones (together or individually) in various places.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 15, 2023 20:48

Stones - pick any American tour since 1981
The Who - 1982
John Fogerty - around 2007
Springsteen - 1984
Rod Stewart - 1977
Bob Seger 1977
Skynyrd 1976 (twice)
McCartney - 1993

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: January 15, 2023 21:18

RS - Brussels 1973
RS - Olympia 2003
RS - Trabendo 2012

But the best one was PRINCE - Arras 2009
Bruce "The river complete show" - Paris ??
Bob Marley - Bordeaux 1981

The most disappointing : The Stranglers circa 1983 in Toulouse

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 15, 2023 21:55

This summer I saw Primal Scream in Dublin and it was such an awesome, fun show.
They played Screamadelica live, and it was so great to start the show with Moving On Up which is one of my top 10 songs of all time.

I was on the rail at the front and the crowd energy was amazing - everyone jumping and singing along to every song. People were fun, and cool, and not a$$holes.
It was Bobby G's birthday and the crowd sang to him which made him smile and laugh.

When the encore started it was just a lone bagpiper, playing that one riff of Loaded for two minutes straight. Then the bass player joined him, then a minute later, the drummer, then the guitarist, then Bobby came out playing maracas or something and dancing. It was a total frenzy and one of my all-time favorite concert moments. What a blast.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 15, 2023 22:04

CindyC
They played Screamadelica live, and it was so great to start the show with Moving On Up which is one of my top 10 songs of all time.

I was on the rail at the front and the crowd energy was amazing - everyone jumping and singing along to every song. People were fun, and cool, and not a$$holes.
It was Bobby G's birthday and the crowd sang to him which made him smile and laugh.

When the encore started it was just a lone bagpiper, playing that one riff of Loaded for two minutes straight. Then the bass player joined him, then a minute later, the drummer, then the guitarist, then Bobby came out playing maracas or something and dancing. It was a total frenzy and one of my all-time favorite concert moments. What a blast.

Primal Scream are one of the great live bands. I’ve caught them a bunch of times going back to the early 90s. They never disappoint.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 15, 2023 22:38

Paddy
CindyC

Primal Scream are one of the great live bands. I’ve caught them a bunch of times going back to the early 90s. They never disappoint.

Agree! I only saw them once a few years back in Boston. I felt so badly for them because there was hardly anyone there, but they didn't seem too bummed out and still played a great show. I had tickets to see them in NY around 91/92, and my friend bagged on me at the last minute. I was too much of a wimp at the time to go by myself, thinking they'll be back next year, but then they didn't come back for like 20 years!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 16, 2023 00:14

Tough question. Some of my favorites:

Stones 1972 Chicago Amphitheatre.
Rolling Thunder Review, New Haven, 1975.
Springsteen, Music Hall, Boston, 1977.
Bridge School Benefit 1999.
Crossroads, Bridgeview, IL, 2007.
Rock Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary, 1st night, MSG, 2009.
Dylan and The Band, Chicago Stadium 1974.
Beach Boys, Auditorium Theatre Chicago, 1972.
Springsteen, St. Louis, 2008.
Brian Wilson, Smile show, Auditorium Theatre, 2004.

Most memorable? The night Keith Moon fell on his drumkit and the Who had to cancel, Boston Garden, 1976.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-28 02:58 by bam.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 16, 2023 03:49

treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers
…1982 Doug & the Slugs…
Shows I hated,… still trying to forget, Colin James 1988 Commodore Ballroom,.

Doug and the Slugs!?!? Only a Canuck…! grinning smiley
Too bad about Colin James. I saw him a few years ago and he was great. Maybe worth another go.

yeah, it was a disappointment...not saying he's not good, just that it was a lame show.

Doug and the Slugs...hardest working band in show business (RIP Doug).

For nostalgic Canucks, there’s a documentary on the CBC about Doug and the Slugs, also streaming on Gem.

[gem.cbc.ca]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 16, 2023 07:30

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers
…1982 Doug & the Slugs…
Shows I hated,… still trying to forget, Colin James 1988 Commodore Ballroom,.

Doug and the Slugs!?!? Only a Canuck…! grinning smiley
Too bad about Colin James. I saw him a few years ago and he was great. Maybe worth another go.

yeah, it was a disappointment...not saying he's not good, just that it was a lame show.

Doug and the Slugs...hardest working band in show business (RIP Doug).

For nostalgic Canucks, there’s a documentary on the CBC about Doug and the Slugs, also streaming on Gem.

[gem.cbc.ca]

Ahh STG you beat me to it. I just read the news article on CBC website. I remember Doug and the Slugs back around 1980ish with their song Too Bad. I remember in the early 2000s they came and played at the Legion Hall in my small hometown near Vancouver! A friend hired them to play. A girl I know didn't know them and asked what songs they have. Too Bad was the only one I remembered, said they'll probably play it more than once. Sure enough, they played it early in the night and at the end!

Date: January 17, 2023 02:08

CindyC
Paddy
CindyC

Agree! I only saw them once a few years back in Boston. I felt so badly for them because there was hardly anyone there, but they didn't seem too bummed out and still played a great show. I had tickets to see them in NY around 91/92, and my friend bagged on me at the last minute. I was too much of a wimp at the time to go by myself, thinking they'll be back next year, but then they didn't come back for like 20 years!

Only saw PS once. But they are one of my top top favorite bands. I love "Give out but don't..."; the Memphis remix even better. And 'Vanishing Point/XTMNTR/Evil Heat' is another one of those great triple shots.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home