Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: When Noel Gallagher had Xmas with Keith Richards
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 17, 2021 02:42

terraplane
Didn’t Liam challenge Keith to s punch up in the 90s? Can’t recall the reason.

No Liam challenged Robbie Williams to a fight.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 17, 2021 05:30

Rocktiludrop
terraplane

Robbie challenged Liam to a boxing match, accusing the brothers of bullying him.

Irish Times Nov 1997

I will beat the f_cking shit out of Harrison, Jagger, Richards and that other c_nt. If any of them old farts have got a problem with me, then they should leave their Zimmer frames at home and I'll hold them up with a good right hook. They're jealous and they're senile. If they want to fight, I"ll beat them up - Liam

Great publicity for Be Here Now!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2021 06:39

DGA35
Rocktiludrop
terraplane

Robbie challenged Liam to a boxing match, accusing the brothers of bullying him.

Irish Times Nov 1997

I will beat the f_cking shit out of Harrison, Jagger, Richards and that other c_nt. If any of them old farts have got a problem with me, then they should leave their Zimmer frames at home and I'll hold them up with a good right hook. They're jealous and they're senile. If they want to fight, I"ll beat them up - Liam

Oasis were never Nirvana or bigger than The Beatles, or in their pathetic crank up, Jesus. Liam is a moron. What a complete toss they are.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 17, 2021 09:42

terraplane

Yep pretty sure in Q or some UK magazine
Liam stated he wanted ta have a punch up with Keith .....

But ya gotta remember ...... ^^^^^^^^^ there's no businness like so biz ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 17, 2021 12:05

DandelionPowderman
terraplane
Oasis were great. Noel was a great songwriter although not so much these days in my opinion. Liam is one of the greatest front men of all time.

I'm one (of the few) who likes Liam's attitude, and I really like him as a frontman (mainly because he's so different from the rest).

But... come on! smiling smiley

What Jagger was to the sixties, Liam was to the 90s. He is a true rocker.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 17, 2021 12:24

GasLightStreet
DGA35
Rocktiludrop
terraplane

Irish Times Nov 1997

Oasis were never Nirvana or bigger than The Beatles, or in their pathetic crank up, Jesus. Liam is a moron. What a complete toss they are.

No they were better than Nirvana giving the youth positive spirits and outlook for life rather than pathetic, suicidal darkness (even though some Nirvana songs are great with interesting riffs and harmonies). Oasis haven't got much in common with the Beatles except they are from the north, Oasis owe much more to the Stones, The Who, Pistols and the Faces.

You obviously haven't met them as they are great lads, you shouldn't believe everything that is written in the press. Hadn't it been for Oasis I would never had become such a big Stones fan seeing our boys all around the world or gone back to my child hood heroes like Little Richard and Chuck Berry. I would probably have ended up listening to some right s*it like radiohead or coldplay who are fine musicians I'm sure but they are NOT larger than life artists who you would play at your funeral or watching together at Knebworth with 125 000 other people.

Rock n Roll is supposed to be what the best of the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's came up with. Now we're just inhaling the last fumes, once Dylan, Stones and the others are gone it's over. Oasis were the last new band who generated that mass excitement, they just didn't play the game in the US but everywhere else they were massive. Although it meant that I got to see some real intimate theatre gigs in the midwest which was great.

It's funny I beat Noel Gallagher to meet Keith Richards with about 10 years, I would never have thought!smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-17 12:24 by MadMax.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 17, 2021 12:31

Great post, MadMax thumbs up

Oasis make me want to crack open the Stella and smoke Benson and Hedges. I love their laddism!

Oasis were the perfect antidote to grunge.

Date: June 17, 2021 12:35

MadMax
GasLightStreet
DGA35
Rocktiludrop
terraplane

Irish Times Nov 1997

No they were better than Nirvana giving the youth positive spirits and outlook for life rather than pathetic, suicidal darkness (even though some Nirvana songs are great with interesting riffs and harmonies). Oasis haven't got much in common with the Beatles except they are from the north, Oasis owe much more to the Stones, The Who, Pistols and the Faces.

You obviously haven't met them as they are great lads, you shouldn't believe everything that is written in the press. Hadn't it been for Oasis I would never had become such a big Stones fan seeing our boys all around the world or gone back to my child hood heroes like Little Richard and Chuck Berry. I would probably have ended up listening to some right s*it like radiohead or coldplay who are fine musicians I'm sure but they are NOT larger than life artists who you would play at your funeral or watching together at Knebworth with 125 000 other people.

Rock n Roll is supposed to be what the best of the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's came up with. Now we're just inhaling the last fumes, once Dylan, Stones and the others are gone it's over. Oasis were the last new band who generated that mass excitement, they just didn't play the game in the US but everywhere else they were massive. Although it meant that I got to see some real intimate theatre gigs in the midwest which was great.

It's funny I beat Noel Gallagher to meet Keith Richards with about 10 years, I would never have thought!smoking smiley

Two and half million people applied for tickets to their two Knebworth shows, a record for that time.

Date: June 17, 2021 13:05

Big Al

Just to add top my above quote: I absolutely love Nirvana. However, that's what BritPop was: a British reaction to that particular American scene. Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Supergrass, Suede...

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 17, 2021 16:29

terraplane
DandelionPowderman
terraplane
Oasis were great. Noel was a great songwriter although not so much these days in my opinion. Liam is one of the greatest front men of all time.

I'm one (of the few) who likes Liam's attitude, and I really like him as a frontman (mainly because he's so different from the rest).

Wow. Just wow. Not even remotely close, in my opinion.

Date: June 17, 2021 16:55

floodonthepage
terraplane
DandelionPowderman
terraplane

For terraplane, he was - we'll have to respect that. The same culturally importance for the general public? Not even close, but I don't doubt for a second that he thought he was himself smiling smiley

However, it always comes down to the music, which I never was a big fan of - but have learned to enjoy the last few years.

It's a long way up to the "biggest band in the world"-crap, though. Although they were popular here and in many other countries as well (far from being the most popular act, though), Britain was always their main domain.

Date: June 17, 2021 20:47

DandelionPowderman
floodonthepage
terraplane
DandelionPowderman
terraplane

For terraplane, he was - we'll have to respect that. The same culturally importance for the general public? Not even close, but I don't doubt for a second that he thought he was himself smiling smiley

However, it always comes down to the music, which I never was a big fan of - but have learned to enjoy the last few years.

It's a long way up to the "biggest band in the world"-crap, though. Although they were popular here and in many other countries as well (far from being the most popular act, though), Britain was always their main domain.

Terraplane is 100% correct except that Liam was that important only in Europe, South America and Japan, obviously not the US even if I've met lotsa die-hard Oasis fans in places like Houston, Cleveland, LA and Nashville and Be Here Now was about 800 copies from the NO 1 spot in september 97, bugger Puff Daddysmoking smiley

Both were equally important for the generations who were born around 10 years after them, for instance around here Liam has been in the top 3 rank of the most popular boy names since around 2004-2005 and still is, thanks to the Oasis singer.

What also is interesting is that Oasis is probably the only Rock n Roll band I know of which have attracted lots of fans who are decidedly older than themselves, this would not have been the case back in the sixties obviously. I got friends pushing 70 who are following everything Oasis to this day, which is quite mindblowing!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 17, 2021 22:29

DandelionPowderman
floodonthepage
terraplane
DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Indeed, to each their own. thumbs up

It seems like they have an inferiority complex, spewing off at all these artists and bands, calling them trash/rubbish, etc. when in reality (IMHO) Oasis can't hold a candle to any of the bands that they tear apart in the press.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 17, 2021 23:06

MadMax
s*it like radiohead

lol this is ridiculous

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 18, 2021 07:38

terraplane
MadMax
GasLightStreet
DGA35
Rocktiludrop
terraplane

Irish Times Nov 1997

Two and half million people applied for tickets to their two Knebworth shows, a record for that time.

Oasis... Hootie.

I thought - and still do - Suede were awesome.

The tripe about "positive spirits" than "suicidal darkness"... do you complain about Pink Floyd as well? After all, they only wrote about a mentally cranked up "genius". That's a stretch.

Oasis never made it big in the States because they suck. They weren't fun. It didn't translate, two miserable hops bitching about yobbing a fag with their Beatles wanna be rip off music. As exciting as needing a shot for being exposed to a rusty nail.

Truth vs 1960s wannabes - give me the truth. Quite a bit difficult to find a spotty laden down trodden pub in the States thinking Oasis are great. YAWN. That's enough. It's stupid. It doesn't matter, really. Now you know I know that Oasis suck. Wonderful.

Date: June 18, 2021 11:11

GasLightStreet
terraplane
MadMax
GasLightStreet
DGA35
Rocktiludrop
terraplane

Irish Times Nov 1997

Oasis... Hootie.

I thought - and still do - Suede were awesome.

The tripe about "positive spirits" than "suicidal darkness"... do you complain about Pink Floyd as well? After all, they only wrote about a mentally cranked up "genius". That's a stretch.

Oasis never made it big in the States because they suck. They weren't fun. It didn't translate, two miserable hops bitching about yobbing a fag with their Beatles wanna be rip off music. As exciting as needing a shot for being exposed to a rusty nail.

Truth vs 1960s wannabes - give me the truth. Quite a bit difficult to find a spotty laden down trodden pub in the States thinking Oasis are great. YAWN. That's enough. It's stupid. It doesn't matter, really. Now you know I know that Oasis suck. Wonderful.

Hootie are nothing outside of the US pal, I do not even know what they look like, but Oasis clearly stirred up something over there considering your emotions. But "didn't translate" yes of course, the same reason why the Football WC in 1994 didn't transform the society. Baseball, basketball and even volleyball are still bigger in the states not to mention american football and ice hockey.

I wouldn't play a Pink Floyd record at somebody's funeral that's for sure and I wouldnae play them on a saturday night either, their music is not in that vein.

If you like Suede then I get you don't get Oasis, I only like suede on the end of my feet even if I've seen the band twice and they were alright but they are no way near Oasis. I bet you haven't seen Oasis live, it's the only band that can compete with Stones live when it comes to the sound/that Rock n Roll X factor (an example, just looking at Keith and Ron while they're weaving) and songs who are bigger than life. The live setting is where I measure the greatness of my bands.

Miserable? They are the opposite, hence all the optimism that destroyed that grungey awfulness of 90-93 when they released Definitely Maybe in 94. The US will never get them, fortunately the US of the 60's and 70's were clever enough to get the Stones, Who, Beatles and Led Zep and brilliant home made artists like Dylan and George Jones. It would probably not happen today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 11:11 by MadMax.

Date: June 18, 2021 11:16

Big Al

Oasis make me want to crack open the Stella and smoke Benson and Hedges. I love their laddism!

Cheers Mate! Along with the Stones and other assorted stuff on full blast today, soon to crack up the first Guinness for a day with finally 3 INTERESTING games in the EC!

Date: June 18, 2021 11:19

It baffles me somewhat when I read that Oasis didn’t ‘break America’, etc. What’s The Story (Morning Glory?) sold well stateside, didn’t it? All their albums faired reasonably well on Billboard. Certainly, they were never huge there, but not were they unknown, like so many of Oasis’ British contemporaries. They were far more popular in the U.S. than, say, Blur, their closest competitor in the U.K.

Perhaps Oasis were just too British for America. That’s probably why they could never sell-out stadiums, say. I’m sure it isn’t because they ‘suck’

Date: June 18, 2021 11:21

MadMax
Big Al

Cheers Mate! Along with the Stones and other assorted stuff on full blast today, soon to crack up the first Guinness for a day with finally 3 INTERESTING games in the EC!

And we both drink Guinness smileys with beer

Date: June 18, 2021 11:27

Big Al
MadMax
Big Al

And we both drink Guinness smileys with beer

Best drink there will ever be to paraphrase a certain band in 1997!smileys with beer

Date: June 18, 2021 14:38

Big Al
It baffles me somewhat when I read that Oasis didn’t ‘break America’, etc. What’s The Story (Morning Glory?) sold well stateside, didn’t it? All their albums faired reasonably well on Billboard. Certainly, they were never huge there, but not were they unknown, like so many of Oasis’ British contemporaries. They were far more popular in the U.S. than, say, Blur, their closest competitor in the U.K.

Perhaps Oasis were just too British for America. That’s probably why they could never sell-out stadiums, say. I’m sure it isn’t because they ‘suck’

This is Noel's take on it:
“I think unfortunately for us, and then, we got off on the wrong foot with America,” he said. “Four tours in a row were either never started or never finished.”

“Not that I’ve got to justify it, but we did sell out the Hollywood Bowl and Madison Square Garden regularly. And I’ve got gold discs and platinum discs to prove it, Sonny Jim. You don’t get that from selling records in Dagenham, let me tell you.”

Date: June 18, 2021 17:02

Big Al

Mate, they use that description, "suck", because they are fat, jealous and don't look the part, this is due to all the gene modified meat they are forced to eat in the US.Oasis ain't too British, thats why they are big all over South America and Europe. If ya ain't got the cheekbones and the hairdo, DO NOT BOTHER. Liam is the only one coming Close to being a new Keith Richards.

Date: June 19, 2021 12:12

I like Liam, as mentioned above, is a true Rock Star at heart, a rebel, not your typical fake Rock Star of today. He drinks , he drugs, he parties, he fights, he @#$%&, he's anti-social etc.

The other thing to mention is that the guy isn't the drunk moron he's portrayed as being, ( admittedly he hasn't done much to help his image in that way ) he's actually a really entertaining intelligent honest man, there is something very open and human about him, underneath the angry veneer i think he's a sensitive soul, a loveable rouge probably sums him up best, and a bloody brilliant singer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-19 12:37 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: June 19, 2021 12:34

Rocktiludrop
I like Liam, as mentioned above, is a true Rock Star at heart, a rebel, not your typical fake Rock Star of today. He drinks , he fights, he's anti-social etc.

The other thing to mention is that the guy isn't the drunk moron he's portrayed as being, ( admittedly he hasn't done much to help his image in that way ) he's actually a really entertaining intelligent honest man, there is something very open and human about him, underneath the angry veneer i think he's a sensitive soul, a loveable rouge probably sums him up best, and a bloody brilliant singer.

Thing is, the 'bad behaviour' stories are twenty-five years old, now. He's middle-aged and far more well-behaved today, I'm sure.

Date: June 19, 2021 12:36

MadMax

Mate, they use that description, "suck", because they are fat, jealous and don't look the part, this is due to all the gene modified meat they are forced to eat in the US.Oasis ain't too British, thats why they are big all over South America and Europe. If ya ain't got the cheekbones and the hairdo, DO NOT BOTHER. Liam is the only one coming Close to being a new Keith Richards.

>grinning smiley<

Date: June 19, 2021 12:44

Big Al
Rocktiludrop
I like Liam, as mentioned above, is a true Rock Star at heart, a rebel, not your typical fake Rock Star of today. He drinks , he fights, he's anti-social etc.

Thing is, the 'bad behaviour' stories are twenty-five years old, now. He's middle-aged and far more well-behaved today, I'm sure.

Exactly, we are talking about the 90s , he's mellowed into a nice guy, time his Brother forgave him and got the band back together, incidentally i think Noel is great too.

Date: June 19, 2021 12:49

An Oasis tour would out-sell practically anyone else; in the U.K., at least!

Date: June 20, 2021 04:25

Rocktiludrop
Big Al
Rocktiludrop

Exactly, we are talking about the 90s , he's mellowed into a nice guy, time his Brother forgave him and got the band back together, incidentally i think Noel is great too.

Liam came from a working class background with a violent, alcoholic father. No doubt the physical abuse affected him.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 20, 2021 04:36

There's a good Youtube vid from Vogue where they ask 73 questions to assorted celebrities. The one with Liam from Sept 2019 is good, he seems to have mellowed out. Some funny answers to the questions. Can someone post it here?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 20, 2021 04:44

Whoooooooops wrong fred ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-20 04:53 by Rockman.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home