Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: I'm compiling the Stones live Blues Performances - Help is Always Appreciated
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 18, 2021 14:17

Rockman
Keef also performed with Honeyboy Edwards ....

Guess its the closest he got ta Robert Johnson ....

Rockman, you're schoolin' me.

I never heard of Honeyboy Edwards. I Googled him and there's Keith!

Honeyboy Edwards documentary trailer -

David 'Honeyboy' Edwards

The DVD will look at the life of blues legend David "Honeyboy" Edwards, who passed away in Chicago on August 29, 2011 at age 96. Footage of Edwards is included in the documentary with him playing in clubs, in a rural setting and along the Chicago lakefront.

During the film several musicians are interviewed, such as Richards, Perry, ROBERT CRAY, B.B. KING and LUCINDA WILLIAMS. Each person talks about the importance of blues in American popular music and in their own repertoire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 14:29 by exilestones.

Re: I'm compiling the Stones live Blues Performances - Help is Always Appreciated
Date: June 18, 2021 15:50

DandelionPowderman
A very rare performance of a song they always do well. Unfortunately, no video, though.

[www.youtube.com]

Paradiso 1995?

WOW! Passionate performance!

'STILL A FOOL' (UNRELEASED)
Also known as 'Two Train Blues', 'Two Trains Running'
Written by: McKinley Morganfield
Recorded: Rolling Stones Mobile, Redlands, England, June 26-30 1968
Guest musicians: Nicky Hopkins (piano)

[www.youtube.com]
Still a Fool (outtake) an unreleased muddy waters cover recorded in 1968. there has been an argument about who plays slide guitar on this track . some say it was brian jones, some say it's ry cooder and others say it's keith richards.
- ghostryder8567

Is there more than two versions of this song?

Date: June 18, 2021 21:09

goingmad
Little red rooster with James Cotton

[youtu.be]

I never heard of the Hubert Sumlin Benefit concert officially getting released. I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for the post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 21:12 by exilestones.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 19, 2021 20:13

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2021 23:32

Stop Breakin' Down ---- Stones - Robert Cray .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2021 23:42

Going Down ( Freddie King) ---- Stones-Jeff Beck

ROCKMAN

Date: June 20, 2021 01:06

Koen

This video was blocked in my country due to Abkco's rights.

Date: June 20, 2021 01:07

You found some more great ones, RockMan! Thanks

Date: June 20, 2021 01:09

This is listed on YouTube as the Rolling Stones. I never heard of the Stones doing this song but I know Mick did this song with the Red Devils.

So, the question is this the Rolling Stones or Mick solo on this track?

Blues with a Feeling - The Rolling Stones

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 20, 2021 01:42

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 20, 2021 04:26

DandelionPowderman
Another rare one:

1995:

[www.youtube.com]

1964:

[www.youtube.com]

I was gonna suggest this song too…the two times they played if for the Stripped shows just smoke.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: June 20, 2021 04:55

Was at this Oakland show ....
A slice of Stones history .,.Tom looked a lil nervous.. GREAT STUFF

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 20, 2021 05:23

Has anyone suggested that if you instead list all songs and then pick out the non-blues or blues-derived ones, you would be way ahead on this game?

When was the Tom Waits cameo, Rockman? Was that at an indoor show at the smaller capacity arena? I was at that show or perhaps the one a night earlier, if there were more than one show. Can't rightly recall but do not remember Tom Waits being there and we were seated about third row next to the walkway.

jb

Date: June 20, 2021 05:32

Only one Oakland show in 2013 ....

Oracle Arena 5 May 2013 .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 20, 2021 08:59

Ah yeah the one I was at was 98 or so. Memory is fading, have to dig out the ticket stubs.

jb

Date: June 20, 2021 10:02

mmmmmmm whats ya middle name again ????? .... hhhhaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: June 21, 2021 01:35

Cold Pork Chop Blues 03/20/2000
[www.youtube.com]
Les Paul with Lou Pallo and Paul Nowinski with Keith Richards and Jackie "The Jokeman " Martling ... Iridium .... Lespaul.org

Date: June 21, 2021 01:42

Rockman

Was at this Oakland show ....
A slice of Stones history .,.Tom looked a lil nervous.. GREAT STUFF

He looks a little nervous and sounds a little horse ;0)

I never saw this one before. Thanks

Date: June 23, 2021 21:32

32-20 Blues
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
Keith Blues Lesson

And just above, Keef offers a brief lesson on how to play the blues, mumbling and growling over a 12-bar vamp. The music took him over, he says, “it’s just something you’ve got to do. You have no choice. I mean, we had other things to do and everything, but once you got bitten by the bug, you had to find out how it’s done, and every three minutes of soundbite would be like an education.

To me Robert Johnson’s influence — he was like a comet or a meteor that came along and, BOOM, suddenly he raised the ante, suddenly you just had to aim that much higher." Keith

As Keith Richards tells it, the first time he met Brian Jones, the two “went around to his apartment crash-pad,” where all Jones had was “a chair, a record player, and a few records, one of which was Robert Johnson.” Jones put on the record, and the moment changed Richards’ life. He wasn’t so much interested in the devil at the crossroads. The first question he asked — “Who’s that?” — was followed by, “Yeah, but who’s the other guy playing with him? That, too, was Robert Johnson, playing rhythm with his thumb while bending and sliding with his fingers, the fancy guitar work that earned him the envy of fellow bluesmen, and led to the rumor his skills came from hell.

“One of the staples of Johnson’s style is his ability to sound at times like two guitar players,” writes Andy Aledort at Guitar World, “combining driving rhythms on the lower strings with melodic figures with the higher strings.” Like every other British guitarist of his generation, Richards was enchanted. “I’ve never heard anybody before or since use the form and bend it quite so much to make it work for himself…. The guitar playing — it was almost like listening to Bach. You know, you think you’re getting a handle on playing the blues, and then you hear Robert Johnson….”

What did their blues heroes think of the Stones? The band never got to meet Robert Johnson, of course, but he might have been appreciative. “I got the chance to sit around with Muddy Waters and Bobby Womack,” says Keith, “and they just wanted to share ideas.” Johnson didn’t leave much behind to learn from, but his keenest students found exactly what they needed in his few haunting recordings.

Date: June 24, 2021 00:14

Still A Fool - Keith Richards & Hubert Sumlin

[www.youtube.com]

1. I'm Ready

2. Still A Fool

3. She's Into Something

4. Iodine In My Coffee

5. Look What You've Done

6. Come Home Baby

7. Evil

8. Long Distance Call

9. Same Thing, The

10. Don't Go No Farther

11. I Love The Life I Live, I Live The Life I Love

12. Walkin' Thru The Park

13. This Is The End, Little Girl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES

Personnel: Hubert Sumlin (guitar); Eric Clapton, Keith Richards (vocals, guitar); Paul Oscher (vocals, harmonica); George Receli (vocals, drums); David Johansen, Nathaniel Peterson (vocals); David Maxwell, Bob Margolin (guitar); James Cotton (harmonica); Michael "Mudcat" Ward (bass guitar); Levon Helm (drums).

One of the key architects of the Chicago blues sound, guitar master Hubert Sumlin is probably best known for his wiry, angular phases on Howlin' Wolf classics like "Smokestack Lightnin'" and "I Asked for Water." But Sumlin also worked with Muddy Waters, and ABOUT THEM SHOES pays overt homage to Chicago's favorite blues son with a set list full of Waters's originals and tunes written for Waters by Willie Dixon (the great songwriter, bassist, and Chicago session man). ABOUT THEM SHOES finds Sumlin brings on a distinguished roster of guests, including drummer Levon Helm, harmonica player James Cotton, vocalist David Johansen, and six-string godheads Eric Clapton and Keith Richards. Clapton, Richards, and Johansen lend some fine vocal tracks (Johansen's Wolf-like take on "Walkin' Thru the Park" is especially notable), but Sumlin takes the spotlight here. The veteran still throws out stinging leads, distinctive melody lines, and quick, perfectly crafted embellishments that drip with blues essence. The end result is a fine tribute to Waters, and to Sumlin's own towering contribution to the genre

Date: June 27, 2021 07:43

Exile On Main Street Blues
Mick Jagger vocals and piano
Sunset Sound Studio - Los Angeles 28 March 1972

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 27, 2021 12:12

'Satisfaction is basically a blues, it's just a different form' (Keith Richards)
=> [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-27 12:13 by slewan.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home