Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Midnight Rambler - hyde park 1969 the best?
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 15, 2021 02:41

TheflyingDutchman
whitem8
So much of that show is a disappointment basically because the guitars are out of tune! Midnight rambler included!

True. I wonder why they didn't bother to get them in tune: guitar tuners were not available yet.

Bill actually predicted that there would be automatic guitar tuners in the future. He probably could have invented one but he decided to go with metal detectors.

Posted by: dimtim ()
Date: June 15, 2021 02:44

I really enjoyed Anaheim 2013 2nd show with Mick Taylor. Went on forever and MJ let him play.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: June 15, 2021 04:14

The Brussels version is one of the absolute highlights in the history of the Stones on stage. From the very first intro notes, Mick warming up on the Harmonica and says "we're very quick, aren't we" and then Keith slides his fingers down the guitar in a way I can't think of him doing again to kick off the actual song it's fantastic. Mick doesn't yet short play his harmonica like he does starting in '75. Keith an MT have the best guitar interplay between the two of them that I have ever heard. It's the perfect version (and that is no slight to the Ya-Ya's version). I have to say that I like the Nasty Songs/KBFH mix of it better than the Brussels Affair.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 15, 2021 04:19

On some prior thread somewhere, I believe it was Doxa who so eloquently expressed that the live version on Brussels Affair (initial (2011?) official release was not only the greatest live Stones' moment, but also the greatest live rock and roll moment by any performer anywhere.

On any given day, I might opt for Let It Rock Leeds 71 or Live With Me from Ya-Yas or even Uptight/Satisfaction from Philly instead, but on days when it is Rambler, for me, there is no Rambler where (IMHO) the Stones ever played better and harder. Stunning.

As for Hyde Park 69 - I am that rare Stones' freak who loves the Hyde Park Rambler for its thick, gruely groove.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 15, 2021 06:26

I think that Let It Rock is about the best piece of rock and roll ever recorded live. Just slays. Bye Bye Johnny from Welcome to NY is a great companion piece and its nearest competition.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-15 06:27 by jbwelda.

Date: June 15, 2021 09:24

jbwelda
I think that Let It Rock is about the best piece of rock and roll ever recorded live. Just slays. Bye Bye Johnny from Welcome to NY is a great companion piece and its nearest competition.

jb

Which version?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 15, 2021 09:49

the one on the b side and cut into the spanish sticky fingers, isnt that leeds 71?

jb

Date: June 15, 2021 09:50

jbwelda
the one on the b side and cut into the spanish sticky fingers, isnt that leeds 71?

jb

Indeed, thanks.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2021 10:03

yearsinthemaking
The Brussels version is one of the absolute highlights in the history of the Stones on stage. From the very first intro notes, Mick warming up on the Harmonica and says "we're very quick, aren't we" and then Keith slides his fingers down the guitar in a way I can't think of him doing again to kick off the actual song it's fantastic. Mick doesn't yet short play his harmonica like he does starting in '75. Keith an MT have the best guitar interplay between the two of them that I have ever heard. It's the perfect version (and that is no slight to the Ya-Ya's version). I have to say that I like the Nasty Songs/KBFH mix of it better than the Brussels Affair.

You're going to mention Brussels Midnight Rambler and overlook how Bill and Charlie absolutely cook?

Date: June 15, 2021 12:09

bleedingman
TheflyingDutchman
whitem8
So much of that show is a disappointment basically because the guitars are out of tune! Midnight rambler included!

True. I wonder why they didn't bother to get them in tune: guitar tuners were not available yet.

Bill actually predicted that there would be automatic guitar tuners in the future. He probably could have invented one but he decided to go with metal detectors.

smiling smiley

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: June 15, 2021 23:08

24FPS
yearsinthemaking

You're going to mention Brussels Midnight Rambler and overlook how Bill and Charlie absolutely cook?

Nope, they are all amazing!!!! Even Billy Preston adds a new dimension to the song (at least in 1973)

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: June 16, 2021 00:38

Brussels is simply amazing

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 16, 2021 03:29

Since I started this thread I feel that I might have been a bit harsh saying nothing past 1976, although I still prefer the Hyde Park 1969 first live airing of M Rambler, I love this raw dirty rendering despite the out of tune guitar that plagued this show,

there’s something about it that draws me back to it time & time again. It had been remade & remodelled only a few months later by the version in November 1969.

So to make up for my harshness I’ve been playing some later day versions of M Rambler, yes post 1976 ones,  some even from recent tours such as 2015 – 2019 ( which still feature some terribly out of tune guitar) but found myself replaying the one from

Brisbane Australia on March 5th 2003 from the Licks tour, it just takes off from the start & keeps going.

After repeated listens I will go out on a limb & say if it’s not the best Rambler of the Licks tour it’s not far from it.

You may not agree with me but another person who does is Mick Jagger because as soon as it finishes he says “Brizzy, Brizzy, Brizzy really good Rambler I tell ya, good version"

I mean if the writer / singer of the song states this he must have felt it that’s nights rendition was superior to previous live versions.

On the circulating recording of Brisbane March 5 2003 you may have trouble hearing Mick saying this because it’s not the greatest recording but on my mates un-circulated recording of the same night which is superior Jagger can be plainly heard saying it.

I also agree with jbwelda who mentions Let It Rock from Leeds 1971 & Bye Bye Johnny on the Welcome To New York 1972 as being two of the best pieces of rock & roll ever recorded.

Nothing recorded with Taylors replacement comes anywhere near them.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: June 16, 2021 03:48

Hyde Park : Legendary event but sloppy show which is normal if you consider that they didn't tour for two years.

It's not before the end of the US tour this same year that Midnight rambler was great to hear on stage.

I prefer the versions of MSG 72 and Brussels or London 73 to Hyde Park anyway.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 16, 2021 05:02

DandelionPowderman
jbwelda

jb

Indeed, thanks.

I do believe that Let It Rock from Leeds 71 is the single most concentrated example of everything that this band can do better than any other band ever! From Keith to Bill to Charlie to Mick to Mick J. - rarely, if ever, equaled this track, but never surpassed (possible exceptions Rambler Brussels or Uptight/Satisfaction Philly 72))

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: edkeef ()
Date: June 16, 2021 07:06

I agree on the Brussels '73 being THE tightest and razor sharp Rambler version ever!
There are not many live performances by anyone in the same ballpark.
I have a real sentimental attachment to the L.A. Friday version. It was my first bootleg!
Brand new member little Ronnie Wood playin' his ass off!
Not as tight as Brussels; more riffing than weaving but I think it's the best middle section ever, slightly better than Brussels.
And of course, the Ya-Ya's is the best chugging version!
For latter day Stones, some of the 2005-2006 versions are faster than most of the modern era AND the Bigger Bang shows were the first tour since 81 where the guitars were finally turned up loud again! YAY!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 16, 2021 07:31

My favourite moment is when Keith started to play Midnight Rambler on his Stratocaster, when it should’ve been Paint it, Black. I’m sure someone will post the video! How did that even happen? Wrong guitar; wrong key! grinning smiley

Date: June 16, 2021 14:48

edkeef
I agree on the Brussels '73 being THE tightest and razor sharp Rambler version ever!
There are not many live performances by anyone in the same ballpark.
I have a real sentimental attachment to the L.A. Friday version. It was my first bootleg!
Brand new member little Ronnie Wood playin' his ass off!
Not as tight as Brussels; more riffing than weaving but I think it's the best middle section ever, slightly better than Brussels.
And of course, the Ya-Ya's is the best chugging version!
For latter day Stones, some of the 2005-2006 versions are faster than most of the modern era AND the Bigger Bang shows were the first tour since 81 where the guitars were finally turned up loud again! YAY!

Brussels is one of my favourites as well. The playing and the energy is nothing but amazing. But tight? I would never call it tight. It's a shambles, but a brilliant one smiling smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 16, 2021 15:08

Big Al
My favourite moment is when Keith started to play Midnight Rambler on his Stratocaster, when it should’ve been Paint it, Black. I’m sure someone will post the video! How did that even happen? Wrong guitar; wrong key! grinning smiley

The most amazing thing to me was how Darryl and Mick picked up on it, only realizing what was going on as they went along

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 16, 2021 15:49

Nikkei
Big Al

The most amazing thing to me was how Darryl and Mick picked up on it, only realizing what was going on as they went along

That's true. Ronnie pointing his Paint it, Black guitar at the others, is a funny moment. Calamity and hilarity all round!

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: June 16, 2021 18:26

ChrisM42
Best Midnight Ramblers (IMHO):

1. Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! MSG New York 11/28/1969 2nd Show

2. London Roundhouse performance 3/14/1971

3. Brussels, Belgium 10/17/1973 (on steroids)

Agreed!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home