Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Sucking in the 70s is amazing
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 14, 2021 11:00

noughties
We don`t need another "Beast of Burden", to say the least.

Usually I'd agree with you, but the sequencing and deep cuts on this album make Beast a really welcome palate cleanser, right at the end of the album. The way it just kind of saunters in after Crazy Mama and ends the record with a mid-tempo, relaxed feel, makes you want to dive back in straight away at the beginning with Shattered.

I'm probably overthinking it, but I really think the tracklist and order on this album is sublime.

Date: June 14, 2021 11:35

noughties
DandelionPowderman
noughties
When viewing the contents, only "Everything is Turning to Gold" stands out as interesting. We don`t need another "Beast of Burden", to say the least.

When The Whip Comes Down (live 1978) and If I Was A Dancer were interesting, too.

And Everything Is Turning To Gold was already released three years prior. The other two were not.

I have the "Rarities" album on vinyl, which has it`s similarities, and containing "If I Was A Dancer". The Puls magazine`s Arvid Rønsen was over himself when "Rarities" came out, speaking of "heaven".

Rønsen hasn't really kept up with the Stones. I noticed that when I had a chat with him a couple of years ago smiling smiley

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: June 14, 2021 12:49

No Stone Unturned
Sucking In The Seventies
Rarities
are the three compilations that add something to a standard/medium collection (and I like them).
Bye, Luca

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 14, 2021 15:20

1963luca0
No Stone Unturned
Sucking In The Seventies
Rarities
are the three compilations that add something to a standard/medium collection (and I like them).
Bye, Luca

Well if we're going back that far, you could almost throw Big Hits and Fazed Cookies in the mix.

In that case a bit of a tradition of odd compilations.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 14, 2021 16:04

I love the Whip version from Detroit(?) and I love the fact that Mannish Boy got another outing along with those unreleased songs. Having said that, I made my own mixed tape a couple of years back and if you sequence Pretty Beat Up directly after Hot Stuff ya get a cool medley! Charlie's ending and beginning is just.. WOW!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: June 14, 2021 16:45

I always thought Everything's Turning to Gold was a perfect fit for the Some Girls album. Wonder why they didn't include it with the super deluxe?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 14, 2021 18:22

WorriedAboutYou
noughties
We don`t need another "Beast of Burden", to say the least.

Usually I'd agree with you, but the sequencing and deep cuts on this album make Beast a really welcome palate cleanser, right at the end of the album. The way it just kind of saunters in after Crazy Mama and ends the record with a mid-tempo, relaxed feel, makes you want to dive back in straight away at the beginning with Shattered.

I'm probably overthinking it, but I really think the tracklist and order on this album is sublime.

Yes, BOB ended the SG 8-track and had the same affect.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: June 14, 2021 18:32

I remember when this first came out. I listened to it over and over again.

It's a great compilation and they gave us a few treats with the alternate Dance mix, Everythings Turning to Gold and best of all a fantastic live version or When the Whip Comes Down.

One of my favorite live songs they really hit a good groove on this song live.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 14, 2021 18:39

coffeepotman
I always thought Everything's Turning to Gold was a perfect fit for the Some Girls album. Wonder why they didn't include it with the super deluxe?

Yes! That would have definitely improved on the deluxe version (which is already pretty damned good).

Sucking is mixed for me, I do like the track selection (although I already had Everything's Turnin' b-side) but edited versions always annoyed me - when you're listening to a song you know well and then something is missing, that is hard to take!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-15 07:24 by LeonidP.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 14, 2021 21:38

Everything’s turning to gold is a gem!
What they did to TWFNO was a criminal act.That number is one of the best Stones tracks ever.Maybe they should made it longer,with 5 more minutes of Sir Mick T genius.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 14, 2021 23:10

WorriedAboutYou
This has become my go-to Stones record, I just love the track selection, the sequencing (Everything is Turning To Gold - Hot Stuff - Time Waits For No One - Fool To Cry is a killer run of songs) and the way they included some deeper cuts alongside the btter known tracks - not that there are any real warhorses on here.

Up against Rewind I'd take this selection any day. Always thought the album art was cool as well.

Anyone else dig this comp?

I love SITS. It's my favorite comp album. Over the years it's the edit version of Beast Of Burden from this album that I listen to the most. I don't mind the edit versions of Time Waits For No One, Hot Stuff, Fool To Cry or Mannish Boy, I like the differences. It's a brilliantly awkward album. Whip is one of my favorite live tracks. The artwork is hilarious.

TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE is also fantastic (no edit versions on it).

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: June 15, 2021 16:34

Sucking in the Seventies is my favourite Stones compilation. Like above, love the sequencing, the inclusion of then-rare tracks, and even the edits. The Hot Stuff edit in particular, distilled that killer groove into 4 glorious minutes (full version equally magic obviously).

I add the Miss You 12" mix to the ipod version of SITS, and it fits the mood perfectly.

Whip is savage live version; propulsion, groove and swagger. All music did a good review of this comp, summing up that irrespective of its potential cash-grab genesis, the choice of songs and addition of rarities sum up the decadent, groovy mood of latter 70s Stones perfectly. As essential to that era as any of the studio albums.

Date: June 15, 2021 17:27

georgelicks
treaclefingers
I remember at the time that it failed to reach the top 10 which broke their longest streak of top 10 albums of any artist if my memory is correct.

Correct, it reached #15 on Billboard ending a string of 26 consecutive albums in the Top 10 between 12x5 and Emotional Rescue.

That string of consecutive Top 10 albums remains an all time record up to this day.

And I would wonder whether it's fair to consider SITS as a proper release. As it's classified as a compilation album, in that case why wouldn't the other compilation albums also be thrown in there (or are they?). Does this also include the live albums?

And if you were to take SITS out...does that string of top ten albums continue to today, which would be remarkable.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: June 15, 2021 18:19

DGA35

Did anyone else peel the Stones tongue off the wrapping and stick it onto the front of the album at the time? To this day, when I buy a CD and there is a sticker on the wrapping, I try to peel it off and then stick it somewhere on the CD cover.

I peeled the tongue off the wrapping and stuck it on the grille cloth of my guitar box (an old wem-box, driven by a wem er-15 tube amp) to cover a hole ...

Resotele

Date: June 15, 2021 20:08

treaclefingers
georgelicks
treaclefingers
I remember at the time that it failed to reach the top 10 which broke their longest streak of top 10 albums of any artist if my memory is correct.

Correct, it reached #15 on Billboard ending a string of 26 consecutive albums in the Top 10 between 12x5 and Emotional Rescue.

That string of consecutive Top 10 albums remains an all time record up to this day.

And I would wonder whether it's fair to consider SITS as a proper release. As it's classified as a compilation album, in that case why wouldn't the other compilation albums also be thrown in there (or are they?). Does this also include the live albums?

And if you were to take SITS out...does that string of top ten albums continue to today, which would be remarkable.

Of course it's a proper release. MADE IN THE SHADE made #6. LOVE YOU LIVE #5. Besides, all albums are compilations, technically speaking.

REWIND did much worse than SUCKING did, only getting as high as #86. Hell, JUMP BACK went to #30 when it was finally released in the US in 2004. And it sold a million copies.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: June 15, 2021 20:25

Yes, yes, yes! I LOVE the version of Whip, one of my favorite live tracks period and a great one to grab a guitar and jam along with the boys!

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 15, 2021 20:40

I friggin' love this album to drive to

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 15, 2021 22:13

love it
great weird little collection that seems to have been made for obsesive stones fans like me to enjoy but maybe not most people

Re: Sucking in the 70s is amazing new
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 14, 2021 03:02

Gazza
DandelionPowderman
WorriedAboutYou
I love that it doesn't include Miss You and Emotional Rescue, even though those are terrific songs - I guess that Sucking is more of a spiritual successor to Metamorphosis for me, a collection of oddball, deeper cuts that somehow sound cohesive and work together.

Made In The Shade and Rewind are both great compilations, but Sucking is a solid alternative comp if you're burned out on the classics.

It's more of a follow-up to the hits (and oddball-tracks) compilation Time Waits For No One, perhaps?

Time Waits for No One was only released in Europe and marked the end of their Warners contract.

Time wasn't released in Canada or the US but I know it was released in Mexico. My sister went on holidays there from Vancouver and bought me that along with Doors 13. I thought Sucking was released in North America because Time wasn't released here. Only song I listen to off of it is When The Whip Comes Down.

Did anyone else peel the Stones tongue off the wrapping and stick it onto the front of the album at the time? To this day, when I buy a CD and there is a sticker on the wrapping, I try to peel it off and then stick it somewhere on the CD cover.

well not a cd but i just bought a sealed copy of crosseyed heart on cassette and put a sticker from the plastic wrap on the case

Date: June 15, 2021 23:25

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
georgelicks
treaclefingers

Of course it's a proper release. MADE IN THE SHADE made #6. LOVE YOU LIVE #5. Besides, all albums are compilations, technically speaking.

REWIND did much worse than SUCKING did, only getting as high as #86. Hell, JUMP BACK went to #30 when it was finally released in the US in 2004. And it sold a million copies.

Yes maybe my question wasn't entirely clear. What I was asking was whether that 'unbroken streak' included live albums and compilations. Otherwise I can't imagine for example, More Hot Rocks as having the made Billboard Top 10.

In that case, their record wouldn't have lasted to Emotional Rescue anyway. And Metamorphosis...was that top ten (maybe that wasn't a US release?)?

Just did a little of my own research and both those also cracked the top ten...unbelievable! I have my answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-15 23:28 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 15, 2021 23:35

Was 1985 the first year they didn’t put out either a studio album, complilation, or live album?

Date: June 15, 2021 23:52

Send It To me
Was 1985 the first year they didn’t put out either a studio album, complilation, or live album?

Yep, if regional releases count (Time Waits For No One, 1979).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 16, 2021 02:55

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
georgelicks
treaclefingers

Yes maybe my question wasn't entirely clear. What I was asking was whether that 'unbroken streak' included live albums and compilations. Otherwise I can't imagine for example, More Hot Rocks as having the made Billboard Top 10.

In that case, their record wouldn't have lasted to Emotional Rescue anyway. And Metamorphosis...was that top ten (maybe that wasn't a US release?)?

Just did a little of my own research and both those also cracked the top ten...unbelievable! I have my answer.

More Hot Rocks reached #9 and Metamorphosis #8, everything released from 1964 up to 1980 reached the Top 10 in the US.

Date: June 16, 2021 03:54

georgelicks
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
georgelicks
treaclefingers

More Hot Rocks reached #9 and Metamorphosis #8, everything released from 1964 up to 1980 reached the Top 10 in the US.

stunning achievement really

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: June 19, 2021 23:52

I like this album. Being a vinyl junkie, not only liking the Music bet there are many different sleeves pressed in different countries. Nice album to collect.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: June 21, 2021 08:25

DandelionPowderman
Send It To me

There wasn't even a single. 1985 was Stonesless.

1987 and 88, in regard to the band, not ABKCO, as well, with a single, anyway. Then there's 1992, 2000 and 2001.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 21, 2021 08:58

treaclefingers
1963luca0
No Stone Unturned
Sucking In The Seventies
Rarities
Bye, Luca

Well if we're going back that far, you could almost throw Big Hits and Fazed Cookies in the mix.

In that case a bit of a tradition of odd compilations.

Big Hits and Fazed Cookies is a great collection. As wonderful an introduction Hot Rocks was for the U.S. market, it missed several of the Stones’ key U.K. singles and LP cuts. This sequel purchase is worth it for containing The Rolling Stones EP, alone.

Date: June 21, 2021 10:32

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Send It To me

1987 and 88, in regard to the band, not ABKCO, as well, with a single, anyway. Then there's 1992, 2000 and 2001.

2000 must have been (by then) the only year without a single Stones-related release. I might have missed some obscure compilation, though.

Date: June 21, 2021 15:08

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Send It To me

2000 must have been (by then) the only year without a single Stones-related release. I might have missed some obscure compilation, though.

The Charlie Watts-Jim Keltner Project (2000/Cyber Octave Records)

Date: June 21, 2021 15:45

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Send It To me

I knew there was something smiling smiley

Date: June 21, 2021 15:51

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Send It To me

I knew there was something smiling smiley

I took it as a challenge!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home