Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Sucking in the 70s is amazing
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 12, 2021 18:03

This has become my go-to Stones record, I just love the track selection, the sequencing (Everything is Turning To Gold - Hot Stuff - Time Waits For No One - Fool To Cry is a killer run of songs) and the way they included some deeper cuts alongside the btter known tracks - not that there are any real warhorses on here.

Up against Rewind I'd take this selection any day. Always thought the album art was cool as well.

Anyone else dig this comp?

Re: Sucking in the 70s is amazing
Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: June 12, 2021 18:04

Great

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 12, 2021 18:47

Yes. If I Was a Dancer and Everything is Turning To Gold are two of the funkiest things theyve ever done. Two great tracks. Terrific live version of 'Whip' as well.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 12, 2021 20:30

It's been years since I played this one.

I seem to recall that Time Waits For No One was shortened, and faded out just as Taylor's solo began.

Am I remembering that correctly, or am I thinking of a different compilation?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 12, 2021 20:36

Some tracks are edited: Hot stuff among them. Great live whip and rarities. I prefer the ER Dance to If I was a dancer.

Date: June 12, 2021 20:37

<faded out just as Taylor's solo began>

No.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 12, 2021 21:05

loog droog
I seem to recall that Time Waits For No One was shortened, and faded out just as Taylor's solo began.

It does fade out during his solo:

This version is 4:25 while the original version is 6:38.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 12, 2021 21:11

I don't think it's amazing. I get the feeling this is something Jagger and a sound engineer threw together in a couple of weeks because they couldn't figure out what to do.
It's not a greatest hits album, rather a collection of b-sides, outtakes, live and studio recordings. Leftovers, kind of. It is not bad, 70s material seldom is (can't be, really).
The cover? Is it fab or just plain vulgar? Decide for yourself.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 12, 2021 21:14

It was such an odd album when it came out of the blue in 1981, just before Tattoo You. I was just getting into the stones with Emotional Rescue, Hot Rocks and then Some Girls. I really liked it, but even then it seemed very hodge podge, a few live cuts, some cast-offs, other stuff that was barely just released (Shattered/Beast...really?) The Part Two of Dance.

I was 15 and thought, Who the hell do these Rolling Stones think they are anyway?

Anyway, it's a ripoff of sorts, but a great album on it's own merit and worth it even just for Everything is Turning to Gold.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 12, 2021 21:22

Stoneage
I don't think it's amazing. I get the feeling this is something Jagger and a sound engineer threw together in a couple of weeks because they couldn't figure out what to do.
It's not a greatest hits album, rather a collection of b-sides, outtakes, live and studio recordings. Leftovers, kind of. It is not bad, 70s material seldom is (can't be, really).
The cover? Is it fab or just plain vulgar? Decide for yourself.

Kinda like December's Children minus Sonny Bono and Jack Neiztche.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 13, 2021 13:54

If 1975's Made in the Shade was Big Hits Vol. 3 (which it is), then I guess this is Big Hits Vol. 4, except that it isn't, because it omits "Miss You" and "Emotional Rescue" and includes a track from IORR, an album which actually pre-dates Made in the Shade.

A strange one. It almost drove Lester Bangs to madness. grinning smiley

Date: June 13, 2021 14:04

yeababyyea
loog droog

It does fade out during his solo:

This version is 4:25 while the original version is 6:38.

It didn't fade out just as his solo began smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-13 14:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 13, 2021 14:07

I love that it doesn't include Miss You and Emotional Rescue, even though those are terrific songs - I guess that Sucking is more of a spiritual successor to Metamorphosis for me, a collection of oddball, deeper cuts that somehow sound cohesive and work together.

Made In The Shade and Rewind are both great compilations, but Sucking is a solid alternative comp if you're burned out on the classics.

Date: June 13, 2021 14:09

WorriedAboutYou
I love that it doesn't include Miss You and Emotional Rescue, even though those are terrific songs - I guess that Sucking is more of a spiritual successor to Metamorphosis for me, a collection of oddball, deeper cuts that somehow sound cohesive and work together.

Made In The Shade and Rewind are both great compilations, but Sucking is a solid alternative comp if you're burned out on the classics.

It's more of a follow-up to the hits (and oddball-tracks) compilation Time Waits For No One, perhaps?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 13, 2021 14:21

DandelionPowderman
WorriedAboutYou

It's more of a follow-up to the hits (and oddball-tracks) compilation Time Waits For No One, perhaps?

Considering that they include many of the same tracks, I'd say it's more like a "re-imagining" of it. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 13, 2021 14:57

I remember at the time that it failed to reach the top 10 which broke their longest streak of top 10 albums of any artist if my memory is correct.

It wasn't held in particularly high regard at the time. While I think 'amazing' as a descriptive may be generous, it is a really good collection of songs and can at least be justified in part by the fact that many weren't or still aren't available anywhere else.

I think the 2006 "Rarities" release would be it's closest companion.

Sucking in the Century as it were.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: June 13, 2021 14:59

Useless compilation. But Rolled gold and Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks you can pass over the rest of the best of that have been released for the last 50 years.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 13, 2021 15:34

I didn't understand Sucking in the Seventies when it was released. Now I think that it's a collection of songs that showcases the Stones wide variety of musical styles from a certain period.

Like most Rolling Stones compilations or greatest hits, Sucking in the Seventies' edited versions give a new fan/listener a taste if the Rolling Stones.

"Sucking in the Seventies" - official compilation album by The Rolling Stones, released in 1981. It covers material from It's Only Rock 'n Roll (1974), Black and Blue (1976), Some Girls (1978) and Emotional Rescue (1980) recording sessions. Deviating from the standard practice of "greatest hits" albums, it contains a mix of hit songs, remixes and alternate takes of album tracks, B-sides, and live recordings.

All tracks on Sucking in the Seventies except "Shattered" and "Everything Is Turning to Gold" were mixed or edited for this release. "When the Whip Comes Down" is presented in an otherwise unreleased live version, recorded in Detroit on the band's 1978 tour.

If I Was a Dancer (Dance Pt. 2) is a longer and different mix and containing different lyrics from Dance (Pt. 1).

In 2005, the album was remastered and reissued by Virgin Records."

Side one

"Shattered" – 3:46
From Some Girls (1978)

"Everything Is Turning to Gold" (Jagger, Richards, Ronnie Wood) – 4:06
B-side to "Shattered"

"Hot Stuff" – 3:30
Edited version from Black and Blue (1976)

"Time Waits for No One" – 4:25
Edited version from It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (1974)

"Fool to Cry" – 4:07

Side two

"Mannish Boy" (Ellas McDaniel, Mel London, McKinley Morganfield) – 4:38
Edited version from Love You Live (1977)

"When the Whip Comes Down" (Live version) – 4:35
Recorded live in Detroit on 6 July 1978

"If I Was a Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)" (Jagger, Richards, Wood) – 5:50
Previously unreleased, from the Emotional Rescue sessions (1980)

"Crazy Mama" – 4:06

"Beast of Burden" – 3:27
Edited version from Some Girls (1978)"

wiki

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 13, 2021 16:06

DandelionPowderman
WorriedAboutYou

Time Waits for No One was only released in Europe and marked the end of their Warners contract.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 13, 2021 16:48

When viewing the contents, only "Everything is Turning to Gold" stands out as interesting. We don`t need another "Beast of Burden", to say the least.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2021 18:04

Yes, maybe that is it? It was a good album for the collector and completist but a strange album for the general public? And you're right: "Everything Is Turning To Gold" is the gold nugget on the album.
Maybe the strange concept had something to do with Allen Klein and publishing rights? I don't know.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 13, 2021 19:16

Sucking in the 70s amazing ... any age is really

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 13, 2021 19:42

treaclefingers
I remember at the time that it failed to reach the top 10 which broke their longest streak of top 10 albums of any artist if my memory is correct.

It wasn't held in particularly high regard at the time. While I think 'amazing' as a descriptive may be generous, it is a really good collection of songs and can at least be justified in part by the fact that many weren't or still aren't available anywhere else.

I think the 2006 "Rarities" release would be it's closest companion.

Sucking in the Century as it were.

Yes, they do seem somewhat like companions, thoght at least Sucking in the Seventies didn't try to change history like Rarities did (omitting Bill from the cover). Sucking in the Seventies is a fun little odd ball release that is a snapshot of a time, whereas Rarities (to me) with it's revisionist cover and its woefully inaccurate liner notes is (to me) the worst compilation they've done. But thematically they are similiar indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-13 19:51 by floodonthepage.

Date: June 13, 2021 21:47

noughties
When viewing the contents, only "Everything is Turning to Gold" stands out as interesting. We don`t need another "Beast of Burden", to say the least.

When The Whip Comes Down (live 1978) and If I Was A Dancer were interesting, too.

And Everything Is Turning To Gold was already released three years prior. The other two were not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-13 21:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: June 13, 2021 21:58

I absolutely love this album, I bought it when it first came out and it introduced me to a whole world of Stones songs I never heard before.

This was my third Stones album that I bought and I loved the live cuts, If I was a Dancer and of course Everything's Turning to Gold

Date: June 13, 2021 23:10

coffeepotman
I absolutely love this album, I bought it when it first came out and it introduced me to a whole world of Stones songs I never heard before.

This was my third Stones album that I bought and I loved the live cuts, If I was a Dancer and of course Everything's Turning to Gold

THis was probably also my 3rd or 4th. Emotional Rescue, then Some Girls, then Hot Rocks, and then I think this.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 14, 2021 00:46

Everything's Turning to Gold is among my favorite tracks from 78 from the band. I bought the Shattered 45 in Picture Sleeve in 1978 just to get it and played the hell out of it. Loved the live Whip and the newer Dance.

I wish it was available on Spotify......

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 14, 2021 01:14

DandelionPowderman
noughties

When The Whip Comes Down (live 1978) and If I Was A Dancer were interesting, too.

And Everything Is Turning To Gold was already released three years prior. The other two were not.

I have the "Rarities" album on vinyl, which has it`s similarities, and containing "If I Was A Dancer". The Puls magazine`s Arvid Rønsen was over himself when "Rarities" came out, speaking of "heaven".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-14 01:29 by noughties.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 14, 2021 02:42

treaclefingers

Correct, it reached #15 on Billboard ending a string of 26 consecutive albums in the Top 10 between 12x5 and Emotional Rescue.

That string of consecutive Top 10 albums remains an all time record up to this day.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 14, 2021 03:02

Gazza
DandelionPowderman
WorriedAboutYou

Time Waits for No One was only released in Europe and marked the end of their Warners contract.

Time wasn't released in Canada or the US but I know it was released in Mexico. My sister went on holidays there from Vancouver and bought me that along with Doors 13. I thought Sucking was released in North America because Time wasn't released here. Only song I listen to off of it is When The Whip Comes Down.

Did anyone else peel the Stones tongue off the wrapping and stick it onto the front of the album at the time? To this day, when I buy a CD and there is a sticker on the wrapping, I try to peel it off and then stick it somewhere on the CD cover.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home