Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:The Appalachian trail
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 1, 2021 19:20

Just finished reading the Stephen King book “The girl who loved Tom Jordan” which is set on the Appalachian trail.I just wondered if anybody out there has hiked parts of it?

Re: OT:The Appalachian trail
Date: June 1, 2021 19:35

I have hiked many parts of the trail.

If you have never done it I would suggest a 2 to 3 day excursion to start

Oh, and take a roadtrip down Skyline Drive. It is one of the most scenic roads in
the US.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 1, 2021 19:38

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 1, 2021 22:38

erikjjf
[m.imdb.com]

A Walk In The Woods?

Read the book. [en.wikipedia.org])

It's great.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: June 1, 2021 23:04

Kind of way OT, but I'll share something from a show or book about it... The story is that if you want to test your love for someone, see how far you can hike the AT together and still be in love. If you both make it through the entire journey, you are truly meant to be lifelong partners. Supposedly, many a relationship has ended before getting anywhere near the end.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 1, 2021 23:13

Having gone thru COVID lockdown, I can see why...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 1, 2021 23:15

My brother and his wife live in western Virginia and I have hiked a couple pieces of it when I have been visiting, I think in the Geo Washington National Forest or Preserve or something. Being from the west I was a bit underwhelmed, at least the parts I was on you would hike for ten or twenty miles and then be confronted with the path entering urban territory and following major streets for a long while before disappearing into the forest for a few more miles. Not at all like the west, and what they call "mountains" back east are kind of underwhelming as well. That said, it looked like an interesting place and I enjoyed most of my walks there. I am sure further south and west it gets a lot more intense.

I think a lot of the written accounts may have been written years ago when the place was way more isolated. In many places from the trail you could see the golden arches or other commercial icon.

jb

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: June 2, 2021 05:47

Being from NC, I have been on parts of it. Read Bill Bryson's book. Too lazy to look it up at the moment but can get it on Kindle, etc.

Date: June 2, 2021 08:45

I am hoping to visit the US next year and would like to hike some of it.Probably starting at Springer mountain.
Thanks for the comments and information everyone.
The Bryson book is a real hoot,and I will probably check out the film.
I have been watching You tube with a crazy super fit construction worker called Hawk who has through hiked several times.Inspiring stuff.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 2, 2021 20:41

I have hiked to the top of the highest point in 40 of the contingent US states, and quite a few seem to reside close to, or on, the trail, and as such, I, too, have hiked on parts of it. I think it would be great to try and hike it thru, but I couldn't ever take off that much time from work.

Posted by: filbert ()
Date: June 2, 2021 20:44

There are lots of vloggers reporting "live" every day. Here's a few of the more popular. These folks all started back in February and you can literally understand life on the trail through their videos.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 3, 2021 09:17

Thanks Filbert

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home