Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Where was the Official Release of C S Blues?
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 30, 2021 15:55

I remember seeing an official release of C S Blues on a greatest hits album. This was probably at least 25 years ago. I think it was on ABKCO.

Wiki says that it was never officially released I know that it was officially released and available at the mall at a Sam Goodys record store.

I didn't buy this hits package as I had all of the songs on it. The album with School Boy Blues was gone when I went back to Sam Goodys and is probably a rare collectors' item now.

Were was C S Blues officially released?

Is there a scan of the song listed on the album cover (maybe School Boy Blues)?

It's always fun to play Rolling Stones Trivia with the great people on IORR!

Thank you,
ExileStones

Re: Where was the Official Release of C S Blues?
Date: May 30, 2021 16:07

"Schoolboy Blues" (Cock sucker Blues) is a 1970 song by The Rolling Stones, commonly recognized by the name "Cock sucker Blues". The song is allegedly based on Dr. John's "The Lonesome Guitar Strangler", released on his 1969 album Babylon."

The Lonesome Guitar Strangler
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 30, 2021 16:14

Do you mean extra singe to German 4LP box The Rolling Stones Story -Part 2 (The Rest of the best...)?
[www.discogs.com]
That version of the box was withdrawn from the shops pretty soon after the release.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 30, 2021 16:15

If I remember correctly, the release was 1983 as bonus single of a german "best of"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2021 16:28

exilestones
The song is allegedly based on Dr. John's "The Lonesome Guitar Strangler", released on his 1969 album Babylon."

Interesting remark!
AmI the only one who thinks there's more than a similarity between "Just wanna see his face" and Dr. John's "Craney Crow" from his 1971 album "The Sun, Moon & Herbs".
An album (rec. 1970) for which some bloke named Mick Jagger lent a hand...

Must be a coincidence, right? cool smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 30, 2021 16:29

Here is a little story (or commercial add to increase sale price winking smiley)
Rolling Stones The Rest Of The Best + 7" German Vinyl Box Set
Tracklisting / Additional Info: This was actually the second run of this box set. Unusually the first runs did NOT include the single sided 7".
The first runs the year before were on the red boxed logo label. This second run was 'spiced up' to improve sales by the inclusion of the never before released '@#$%& Blues' track.
Teldec thought they'd played a master stroke to boost sales, but Decca in London were not so pleased. Decca had refused to release it in 1970 & had not been consulted about this particular issue & therefore demanded that it be withdrawn and the track removed.
Copies like this WITH the 7" were just about hitting the shops when they had to get them withdrawn, so very few actually made it to be available for purchase by customers.

Even though, as a rarities compilation it is extremely well put together and contains many rare and hard to obtain versions, both the first and second issues of this box set sold poorly, making finding a very early copy of the second issue with the 7" today a particularly hard job.

This box set remains in wonderful condition with the laminated picture box showing very little shelfwear. The seam at one corner has given way but that's about it.

The vinyl inside remains near 'as new' & the illustrated tracklisting inners are also in fine fettle.

So, here it is, the only legitimate release in the world, ever, of the infamous Rolling Stones track that Decca refused to put out.
What is quite amusing is that for this legitimate release, even TelDec (Tel[efunken/]Dec[ca]) in Germany had to source the track from a vinyl bootleg !
[eil.com]

Date: May 31, 2021 01:29

Thanks! That was it, The Rolling Stones Story 2 - The Rest of the Best.

There were other rare tracks on that 12 LP set too.

Date: June 9, 2021 02:55

"The Rolling Stones - Schoolboy Blues 1976 version, Paris, backstage 1976,
- Anthony R.

[www.youtube.com]

Schoolboy Blues (@#$%& Blues) - 1978, Woodstock Rehearsals
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: June 9, 2021 04:50

There was a sticker on the cover that says "Die sensation Inkl Bonus single @#$%& Blues Bisher sie veröffentlicht.

(It was outside the plastic when it was sealed. I removed mine and sat it on the cover)

Per Arne

Date: June 10, 2021 03:23

Per-Arne
There was a sticker on the cover that says "Die sensation Inkl Bonus single @#$%& Blues Bisher sie veröffentlicht.

(It was outside the plastic when it was sealed. I removed mine and sat it on the cover)

Per Arne

Thank you

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 10, 2021 16:19

ironbelly
Here is a little story (or commercial add to increase sale price winking smiley)
Rolling Stones The Rest Of The Best + 7" German Vinyl Box Set
Tracklisting / Additional Info: This was actually the second run of this box set. Unusually the first runs did NOT include the single sided 7".
The first runs the year before were on the red boxed logo label. This second run was 'spiced up' to improve sales by the inclusion of the never before released '@#$%& Blues' track.
Teldec thought they'd played a master stroke to boost sales, but Decca in London were not so pleased. Decca had refused to release it in 1970 & had not been consulted about this particular issue & therefore demanded that it be withdrawn and the track removed.
Copies like this WITH the 7" were just about hitting the shops when they had to get them withdrawn, so very few actually made it to be available for purchase by customers.

Even though, as a rarities compilation it is extremely well put together and contains many rare and hard to obtain versions, both the first and second issues of this box set sold poorly, making finding a very early copy of the second issue with the 7" today a particularly hard job.

This box set remains in wonderful condition with the laminated picture box showing very little shelfwear. The seam at one corner has given way but that's about it.

The vinyl inside remains near 'as new' & the illustrated tracklisting inners are also in fine fettle.

So, here it is, the only legitimate release in the world, ever, of the infamous Rolling Stones track that Decca refused to put out.
What is quite amusing is that for this legitimate release, even TelDec (Tel[efunken/]Dec[ca]) in Germany had to source the track from a vinyl bootleg !
[eil.com]

But this wasn't a legitimate release, but a bootleg.

Mathijs

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 10, 2021 17:24

This is pretty wild, all this Stones/Dr. John talk today.

I recently ordered one of those "Classic Albums Series" sets (wherein they include mini LP replica CDs of 5 albums from an artist) of Dr. John and was listening to 'Gris Gris' last night (after listening to 'Some Girls' of course.....celebrating it's June 9th release date anniversary), and thinking back to seeing him open for the Stones at the Aragon Ballroom in 2002 ---

And now all this talk of Stones/Dr. John connections.

Life is funny.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-11 16:53 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: O2 ()
Date: June 10, 2021 21:01

More info about the second edition here:

[stonesworldcollection.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home