Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

FFO's Get Off Of My Cloud mixing
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 30, 2021 13:37

I may be a nitwit here, but ever since ABKCO released the 1985 louzy CDs I think they did an even louzier job on Get Off Of My Cloud.
Where the original 60s vinyl recording had the jingle guitar pushed to the background, the 1985 CD version had the jingle guitar far to much on the foreground.
I get the impression that the FFO ( with a bit to much echo, I think) has the jingle guitar less dominant than in 1985, but the rhythm guitar is to far a the background. It can't be that difficult to get a proper balance between the two guitars. Something to think about for the 60st Anniversary greatest hits collection? Just kidding cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Re: FFO's Get Off Of My Cloud mixing
Posted by: EggersBand ()
Date: May 30, 2021 13:55

Seems like the Voice of Mick is a bit higher and det riff guitar has Got flanger on .

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 30, 2021 14:56

For years I wasn’t even aware of Keith’s riff playing throughout the track. Brian’s rhythm is really dominant is some of the available mixes.

Date: May 30, 2021 18:33

Big Al
For years I wasn’t even aware of Keith’s riff playing throughout the track. Brian’s rhythm is really dominant is some of the available mixes.

If you have a chance to listen to the original 1965 vinyl, you will notice the difference. The 1985 ABKCO CD version is horrible imo. angry smiley

Date: May 31, 2021 10:30

georgie48
Big Al

If you have a chance to listen to the original 1965 vinyl, you will notice the difference. The 1985 ABKCO CD version is horrible imo. angry smiley

I think the only version I have presently is the 2002 mix from the Singles Collection. I originally owned it on the 1985 Decembers Children and 40 Licks. I just recollect how dominant Brian’s rhythm is. I genuinely didn’t realise there’s a lead-riff playing throughout. It may have been a YouTube demonstration that first made me aware, actually. Unless I heard a stereo mix at some point.

Posted by: Rambler62 ()
Date: May 31, 2021 12:25

In my option, only the MONO -Version is listenable!

Date: May 31, 2021 13:14

Rambler62
In my option, only the MONO -Version is listenable!

My "problem" is that I grew up with the original 1965 single/album vinyl version.
Any change "upsets me" (but not really cool smiley)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 31, 2021 15:40

What on earth is FFO's?

edit: ohhh, it's Fully Finished Studio Outtakes smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-31 18:02 by Koen.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 31, 2021 20:24

georgie48
I may be a nitwit here, but ever since ABKCO released the 1985 louzy CDs I think they did an even louzier job on Get Off Of My Cloud.
Where the original 60s vinyl recording had the jingle guitar pushed to the background, the 1985 CD version had the jingle guitar far to much on the foreground.
I get the impression that the FFO ( with a bit to much echo, I think) has the jingle guitar less dominant than in 1985, but the rhythm guitar is to far a the background. It can't be that difficult to get a proper balance between the two guitars. Something to think about for the 60st Anniversary greatest hits collection? Just kidding cool smiley

whats a jingle guitar? You mean Jones 12 string?

Date: May 31, 2021 20:33

Cooltoplady
georgie48

Jangling, perhaps?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 31, 2021 21:07

It was that one guitar coming out of one speaker, and everything else coming of the other.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 1, 2021 00:13

I'm sure it's better than the 85 London Hot Rocks mastered by MFSL which has the wide stereo version of Cloud, as well as Satisfaction and Mothers Little Helper. I haven't listened to it in a while but if I recall, Mick's vocals and Brian's guitar on one channel and rest of the band in the other.

Date: June 1, 2021 09:00

DandelionPowderman
Cooltoplady
georgie48

Jangling, perhaps?

I'm fine with jangling too, DP cool smiley
Wasn't Dylan (and the Byrds) singing about "jingle jangle" once winking smiley
Time flies, but I vagely remember that I read somewhere that the "horrible" (winking smiley) 1985 CD version was a modification of the original as to give more credit to Brian's "jangle". They went too far imo. There was even a rumour that it was on Keith' instigation, but I doubt that.

Date: June 1, 2021 09:24

georgie48
DandelionPowderman
Cooltoplady
georgie48

Jangling, perhaps?

I'm fine with jangling too, DP cool smiley
Wasn't Dylan (and the Byrds) singing about "jingle jangle" once winking smiley
Time flies, but I vagely remember that I read somewhere that the "horrible" (winking smiley) 1985 CD version was a modification of the original as to give more credit to Brian's "jangle". They went too far imo. There was even a rumour that it was on Keith' instigation, but I doubt that.

Hehe, yeah a jingle might be jangling, too (just like McGuinn's guitar) winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 2, 2021 13:19

Big Al

Keith is playing the rhythm.

This is Brian's 12 string guitar.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 2, 2021 13:29

The original mono mix is superior for biff bang pow listening experience.

The wide stereo mix is handy for geeking out on the details. smoking smiley

Date: June 2, 2021 20:22

Do you mean with original mono mix the CD version or the original vinyl single?

Date: June 3, 2021 12:09

Thanks for posting the isolated video, His Majesty.

It clearly is a 12-string. I hadn’t considered whether it was a 6 or 12-string, admittedly. As I said, it was a while before I was even aware of it! Why’s it mixed so low in mono, though? It’s a fine contribution from Brian thumbs up

Date: June 3, 2021 13:44

Big Al

It clearly is a 12-string. I hadn’t considered whether it was a 6 or 12-string, admittedly. As I said, it was a while before I was even aware of it! Why’s it mixed so low in mono, though? It’s a fine contribution from Brian thumbs up

We can only guess, but the mono version was the real, dedicated mix, right? I would assume that Brian's licks were regarded as "spice" on top of the hard-driving rhythm guitar, which in many ways makes the song.

When unfolded, the mix made Brian's licks come alive, so to speak, and we could hear what he played better.

I prefer the mono mix, but I like both.

It's funny that - depending on which tour - Keith and Ronnie are switching on playing those licks in concert. Same with The Last Time. In 1999, Ronnie would play Brian's riff, whilst Keith did it in 2012/2013.

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: June 3, 2021 15:45

The guitar he probably used on the recording:

Date: June 4, 2021 11:14

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

We can only guess, but the mono version was the real, dedicated mix, right? I would assume that Brian's licks were regarded as "spice" on top of the hard-driving rhythm guitar, which in many ways makes the song.

When unfolded, the mix made Brian's licks come alive, so to speak, and we could hear what he played better.

I prefer the mono mix, but I like both.

It's funny that - depending on which tour - Keith and Ronnie are switching on playing those licks in concert. Same with The Last Time. In 1999, Ronnie would play Brian's riff, whilst Keith did it in 2012/2013.

I would imagine it was. Unlike the Beatles, it seems the Stones didn’t have dedicated stereo mixes from the beginning. Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You aside, I think all other Beatles recordings were mixed in both mono and stereo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home