Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A Day in the Studio with the Stones (1967) Recording "Satanic Majesties"
Date: May 28, 2021 16:08

This is really cool. A great time capsule of a very weird time in the Stones' career. I know many Stones fans don't like this album and even the Stones themselves dismiss it but I think it's a brilliant record. I've always loved it.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: A Day in the Studio with the Stones (1967) Recording "Satanic Majesties"
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 28, 2021 16:45

It’s amazing how Brian was so involved in the music in 1967 , but a year later was not

Date: May 28, 2021 16:56

Taylor1
It’s amazing how Brian was so involved in the music in 1967 , but a year later was not

Yeah, that was probably the last time he was interested in contributing to the Stones' music.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 28, 2021 17:09

Interesting part of the Stones history. What was McCartney doing in the studio? Did he play on TSMR?

Date: May 28, 2021 17:21

dmay
Interesting part of the Stones history. What was McCartney doing in the studio? Did he play on TSMR?

I don't think he played on the record. Probably just visited them during the sessions for the album.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 28, 2021 17:53

dmay

Yes. He plays either tambourine or congas on She's A Rainbow. Of the 2, it's most likely tambourine with Mick playing congas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-28 17:59 by His Majesty.

Date: May 28, 2021 17:58

His Majesty
dmay

Yes. He plays either tambourine or congas on She's A Rainbow. Of the 2, it's most likely tambourine with Mick playing congas.

I didn't know that. Cool.

Date: May 28, 2021 18:12

Taylor1

He was still quite involved up to and including spring 1968, albeit to a lesser degree than 1967 and I'd say with more battered health and musical abilities.

The 21st of May 1968 is a notable date, his 2nd drugs bust, and then his summer of worry till the trial in September. A further decline occurs as witnessed in Rock & Roll Circus.

Date: May 28, 2021 20:01

His Majesty
He was still quite involved up to and including spring 1968, albeit to a lesser degree than 1967 and I'd say with more battered health and musical abilities.

The 21st of May 1968 is a notable date, his 2nd drugs bust, and then his summer of worry till the trial in September. A further decline occurs as witnessed in Rock & Roll Circus.

You're right. He seemed to be in pretty good shape on the NME pollwinners show from 1968 compared to "Rock and Roll Circus" a few months later:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: May 30, 2021 15:40

dmay

Both he and John was in the studio when they began on We love you which was some days before Beatles began on All you need is love. Pretty interesting fact.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: May 30, 2021 17:48

Was not McCartney along with Lennon doing some backing vocals for We Love You? I think I also read they were visiting the Stones sometimes during TSMR recording sessions.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: May 30, 2021 18:37

I wonder if a nursery rhymes book Jagger had for the session transformed into Gomper... what an interesting piece of information, thanks for posting!

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: May 31, 2021 15:57

About Macca

He is clearlly audible at the end of Dandelion, at least to me. Both he and John of course in We love you singing background vocals. Those long melismatic "aaah" are pure Sgt. Pepper's. There's a picture of Charlie and Macca, Charlie on drums and Macca with a pair of sticks. Only Charlie has earphones, but Macca is not posing, he loks concentrated. Maybe the added cymbals at the end of We love you?

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-31 15:57 by dandelion1967.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2021 16:53

dandelion1967
About Macca

He is clearlly audible at the end of Dandelion, at least to me. Both he and John of course in We love you singing background vocals. Those long melismatic "aaah" are pure Sgt. Pepper's. There's a picture of Charlie and Macca, Charlie on drums and Macca with a pair of sticks. Only Charlie has earphones, but Macca is not posing, he loks concentrated. Maybe the added cymbals at the end of We love you?

Nice sleuthing dandelion, love it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 1, 2021 14:58

Is it at all known or speculated whether John Paul Jones May have had more involvement during the Satanic sessions, other than the string arrangement for She’s a Rainbow? He was an immensely busy session musician at the time, so perhaps it really was his sole involvement. I suspect this is the case.

Date: June 1, 2021 18:47

Big Al
Is it at all known or speculated whether John Paul Jones May have had more involvement during the Satanic sessions, other than the string arrangement for She’s a Rainbow? He was an immensely busy session musician at the time, so perhaps it really was his sole involvement. I suspect this is the case.

He had no involvement other than arranging strings for She's A Rainbow. An arrangement that borrows from Brian's mellotron part I might add.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 1, 2021 19:16

Steen G
dmay

Both he and John was in the studio when they began on We love you which was some days before Beatles began on All you need is love. Pretty interesting fact.

Not a real surprise. All those manipulated stories that the Stones (TSMR) followed the Beatles (Pepper) were proven incorrect. From Ian Stewart's notebook it is clear that the Stones were already working toward TSMR in 1966, to start with In Another Land in November 1966.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: June 2, 2021 15:05

georgie48
From Ian Stewart's notebook it is clear that the Stones were already working toward TSMR in 1966, to start with In Another Land in November 1966.

?

Date: June 2, 2021 15:15

<in November 1966>

June-July 1967.

Date: June 2, 2021 16:50

DandelionPowderman

June-July 1967.

Where do you get that date from?

Date: June 2, 2021 17:12

georgie48
DandelionPowderman

June-July 1967.

Where did you see Stu's notebook with November 1966 - IAL?

Date: June 2, 2021 19:21

His Majesty
georgie48
DandelionPowderman

June-July 1967.

Where did you see Stu's notebook with November 1966 - IAL?

“STU”

Do you dare to answer my question? winking smiley

Date: June 2, 2021 21:01

georgie48
DandelionPowderman

June-July 1967.

June-July is the time period the Stones-sites are going by.

Stu showed you a notebook that said they were working on Acid In The Grass in November 1966? We can always check if there is info on the Small Faces Olympic Studio-sessions in the November-July period smiling smiley

Date: June 2, 2021 22:12

Sorry DP, I should have been more clear. I was "given" that huge leather covered book titled "STU" to read. Highly expensive and only owned by the happy few (not me cool smiley). I made many page scans (was planning to write about that book, but never got to do it) with permission, so I will go over those scans to see if I can find the details.

What I merely wanted to say is that the hype of Stones always following the Beatles is merely made up. It was never that black&white. The members of each band frequently visited each other in studios and elsewhere and they often exchanged ideas. Satanic could have been out earlier, were it not that Mick, Keith and Brian (even some Beatles) were chased by ultra conservative freaks linked to governments and police. Similar, Beggars Banquet, was badly delayed by DECCA ...
No more Beatles, but now "corona delays" on the new Stones album .. grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 3, 2021 00:24

.... i'll check the STU book when i get a chance ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 3, 2021 10:08

Rockman
.... i'll check the STU book when i get a chance ...

Any help is welcome, Rockman winking smiley
So the book made it all the way to Down Under. I understood that there were 400 copies. I suggested once to make a pocket version, but that would have been a beyond believe huge pocket format grinning smiley

Date: June 3, 2021 10:30

From memory 1000 printed ....

950 for sale to public and guessing the other
50 went to those who contributed memories about Stu....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 3, 2021 21:59

Rockman
From memory 1000 printed ....

950 for sale to public and guessing the other
50 went to those who contributed memories about Stu....

Those 950, were they also with heavy leather cover?
"Mine" was. It came from "The Office", very heavy. Borrowed it for a month or so, but it felt like being responsible for a diamond grinning smiley

Date: June 3, 2021 22:53

Heck yeah .... bound in goatskin leather ....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 4, 2021 15:44

georgie48

Do you dare to answer my question? winking smiley

Bill dates the recording of IAL to July 1967 in his book Stone Alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-04 15:45 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home