Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Eurovision Song Contest
Date: May 23, 2021 19:13

NilsHolgersson

It was snowing in Rotterdam

Snowing only broken glass, unfortunately smiling smiley

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 23, 2021 20:09

Booze, pills and powders! Nothing more.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2021 00:40

DaveG
I only saw the news reports. I live in the US and have never watched it. Question: For how many years has the competition been about costumes and glitter and who can look the most outrageous? It seems the music itself takes a back seat to who can look the most 'Vegas.

I think it went for the worse when they opened up for Eastern European and Eurasian countries to compete. There are other factors involved in the deterioration also. But I won't bore you with them...

Date: May 24, 2021 00:44

Stoneage
DaveG
I only saw the news reports. I live in the US and have never watched it. Question: For how many years has the competition been about costumes and glitter and who can look the most outrageous? It seems the music itself takes a back seat to who can look the most 'Vegas.

I think it went for the worse when they opened up for Eastern European and Eurasian countries to compete. There are other factors involved in the deterioration also. But I won't bore you with them...

Ditching the live orchestra in 1998 was the final nail in the coffin, imo.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 24, 2021 01:40

BowieStone
Memo From Tina Turner
DGA35
Never seen it before. Has any previous winner gone on to become famous?

Abba.

Celine Dion

She couldn't have represented Canada? France?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 24, 2021 01:50

DGA35

1988 Eurovision Song Contest where she represented Switzerland - [en.Wikipedia.org] , [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-24 02:05 by Irix.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 24, 2021 02:45

Irix
DGA35

1988 Eurovision Song Contest where she represented Switzerland - [en.Wikipedia.org] , [en.Wikipedia.org] .

So because she sang a song written by a couple of Swiss songwriters she could represent Switzerland?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 24, 2021 07:46

DGA35
Irix
DGA35

So because she sang a song written by a couple of Swiss songwriters she could represent Switzerland?

I’m unsure. It’d make more sense for Swiss nationals to represent Switzerland, obviously. Tina Turner could represent Switzerland!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2021 09:03

DGA35
Irix
DGA35

Actually I don't think it is even necessary for the songwriters to be citizens of a given country. So, for example, Tina Turner singing a brandnew Jagger/Richards tune could theoretically represent Finland (if they just qualify there...). I think the only requirement is that the song has not been released before (and that it is 3 minutes long at maximum or something). And the performers are over 16 or something.

Once upon time ago there was a rule that the song should be sang in an official national language of the country (1966-1972, 1977-1998). So for Jagger to write the lyrics for Finland had been a quite a challange back then (and probably for Tina to sing as well). One might speculate that had Abba in 1974 not able to sing in English ("Waterloo") had they ever been such a phenomenon they turned out to be. Funnily, the reason for language requirement came after Sweden had sang in English in 1965...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-24 09:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2021 09:15

Stoneage
To be fair the ESC was quite good in the 60s and 70s and a bit into the 80s. Never "hip" but decent entertainment. The UK was particularly good in the 60s and France, Belgium, The Netherlands and Italy,
among other countries, have contributed with many good entries through the years. It's a pity that the event has turned into something like this...

Hmm... you change "ESC" with a certain rock group and you get the same story... grinning smiley

Or could it be that the world has just changed, but you don't...

- Doxa

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 24, 2021 12:04

DandelionPowderman
NilsHolgersson

It was snowing in Rotterdam

Snowing only broken glass, unfortunately smiling smiley

grinning smiley

And it's amazing all the fuss the French did about it!!! I've read incredible stuff on the internet!! I mean...seriously??

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 24, 2021 14:37

Watched it again for the first time in more that 10 years. What I found surprising was how much the public votes diverged from the jury votes.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 24, 2021 15:37

doitywoik
Watched it again for the first time in more that 10 years. What I found surprising was how much the public votes diverged from the jury votes.

Yeah, why not discuss the latest show per se, with the quality of the songs and everything.

Date: May 24, 2021 15:40

doitywoik

With the jury votes, I suspect it's somewhat political. The audience just votes for the song they like.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 24, 2021 15:52

Big Al
doitywoik

With the jury votes, I suspect it's somewhat political. The audience just votes for the song they like.

No. The jury`s song was what I thought was the best. After all, there seems to be some justice in this world.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2021 18:17

What you think has nothing to do with it. Parts of the jury is corrupt. Greece always votes for Cyprus, Cyprus always votes for Greece and so on...

Date: May 24, 2021 18:43

Stoneage
What you think has nothing to do with it. Parts of the jury is corrupt. Greece always votes for Cyprus, Cyprus always votes for Greece and so on...

Spot-on! It’s all a comical farce.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home