Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: 2021 Ice Hockey World Championship
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2021 13:56

Win the right games. That's what they say in Canada, and that's what they also do. Starting the games by three losses, but finishing them by three wins when games really mattered and against the strongest teams in tournament: Russia, USA and Finland. That's a helluva argument, and a well-deserved gold medal.

Team Finland was a clear disappointment in play offs. Yeah, they did win the quarters and semis, and might even won the finals, but playing simply awful, nihilistic hockey, with some (untypical) luck. I especially feel sorry for Germany. They played great, active hockey and should have deserved the final spot instead of Finland. To my eyes clearly the strongest team in tournament Finland played against.

Next year the tournament will be held at my home town here in Finland, Tampere. Might even catch some games live (if the world allows). But before that the Olympic Games, with all the big NHL stars, will be something to really look forward to...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-07 14:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 7, 2021 17:57

Yes Doxa, the Finnish style kind of reminded me of the old 1-3-1 system. Effective, but boring. You play on your opponent's mistakes. Your own style isn't that important.
Anyway, that style rendered a silver. Not bad if you compare it with Sweden's 9-10 place...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 8, 2021 00:01

An idea of the significance of the tournament here in Canada: The top story on both sports networks, TSN and Sportsnet, was the Montreal Canadiens beating Winnipeg Jets to go up 3-0 in the Stanley Cup playoffs. World Championship was discussed afterwards. I'm sure there are a number of people here in Canada that didn't even know about the tournament.
I'm guessing that in European countries, if your team won this tournament, it would be a major story? National celebrations?

Date: June 8, 2021 01:13

Nothing like that, DGA. It would have made the headlines in the sports pages though. For a day or two. And a party for the players in Stockholm.
Everyone here, well those interested in sports, are up for the European Football Championship now. Which is a much bigger occasion.
Even though it is not really the same during a pandemic.

Date: June 8, 2021 01:23

Just to clear out some misunderstandings: Everyone here understands that the Ice Hockey WC these days is a b-tournament. Having said that, it's the best thing offered if you're interested
in international competitions in ice hockey. Not everyone is bedazzled by the NHL. I'm certainly not. I would rather follow my own team and my own league (SHL).

Date: June 8, 2021 01:31

One ironic thing about football (soccer). In North America, the major league is MLS or Major League Soccer. Many teams are now starting to use FC in their name like Austin FC, New York City FC etc. instead of SC! Even the Vancouver Whitecaps now use FC in their name.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 8, 2021 03:26

Speaking of the Euro, here's Finnish mentality to the max:

Reading that Finnish soccer fans online are happy that the hockey team lost the gold medal game.

Apparently the rationale is that had the hockey team won gold again, that would have somehow overshadowed the upcoming European soccer championship tournament, where Finland is making its first-ever appearance.

Yes. Seriously.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 8, 2021 11:10

Doxa
Win the right games. That's what they say in Canada, and that's what they also do. Starting the games by three losses, but finishing them by three wins when games really mattered and against the strongest teams in tournament: Russia, USA and Finland. That's a helluva argument, and a well-deserved gold medal.

Team Finland was a clear disappointment in play offs. Yeah, they did win the quarters and semis, and might even won the finals, but playing simply awful, nihilistic hockey, with some (untypical) luck. I especially feel sorry for Germany. They played great, active hockey and should have deserved the final spot instead of Finland. To my eyes clearly the strongest team in tournament Finland played against.

Next year the tournament will be held at my home town here in Finland, Tampere. Might even catch some games live (if the world allows). But before that the Olympic Games, with all the big NHL stars, will be something to really look forward to...

- Doxa

The German team has continued to improve in recent years. The level of the players in terms of stick technique and skating has now reached international standards. That was not the case for a long time. Although ice hockey was always very popular in Germany, it did not reach the level of the Big Seven (Canada, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden, USA) until the 2010s. In the meantime, some German players play in the NHL and other major leagues, and the youth development work is good. With Leon Draisaitl, there is an absolute world-class player. But it will still take time before a German team can seriously compete for an international title.

Date: June 8, 2021 22:03

Germany has really improved! I'm sure you'll start to see more German players in the NHL. Draisaitl is an excellent player but he gets the luxury of playing with Connor McDavid.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1209
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home