Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Claudine--Emotional Rescue
Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: May 21, 2021 21:57

I was listening to the Emotional Rescue album (quite underrated) and I was trying to remember what song was added when they decided at the last minute to leave off "Claudine"? I can remember some radio broadcast at the time saying that the Stones were worried about legal troubles from Claudine Longet but I don't recall the replacement song. My suspicion is "Indian Girl" Any ideas?

Re: Claudine--Emotional Rescue
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2021 00:04

yearsinthemaking
I was listening to the Emotional Rescue album (quite underrated) and I was trying to remember what song was added when they decided at the last minute to leave off "Claudine"? I can remember some radio broadcast at the time saying that the Stones were worried about legal troubles from Claudine Longet but I don't recall the replacement song. My suspicion is "Indian Girl" Any ideas?

I thought Lies replaced Claudine on Some Girls. If you replace Lies with Claudine it makes a stronger album.

Date: May 22, 2021 00:37

It was recorded during that prolific Some girls period. Maybe they were thinking about putting it on ER as well as SG and failed both times. It's just my recollection from 1980. Not necessarily correct

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 22, 2021 00:44

It sure woulda beat Indian Girl.

jb

Date: May 22, 2021 01:51

I remember when I first got a bootleg with Claudine. I played it over and over again.

Great song.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 22, 2021 10:32

I'm sure you're right, yearsinthemaking. I don't think the answer to your question has ever been disclosed. I did read somewhere that Summer Romance was planned as track one side one at one point, but that doesn't get us very far. Anyone know?

Date: May 22, 2021 16:40

I found this from Wikipedia on Claudine Longet:

Claudine Longet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Claudine Longet
Claudine Longet in 1969
Claudine Longet in 1969
Background information
Born 29 January 1942 (age 79)
Origin Paris, France
Genres
PopBossa novaFrench popstandardsSoft rock
Occupation(s)
Singeractress
Instruments
Vocalsguitar
Years active 1963–1975
Labels
A&MBarnaby Records
Associated acts
Andy WilliamsNick DeCaro
Claudine Georgette Longet (born 29 January 1942) is a Franco-American singer, actress, dancer, and recording artist popular during the 1960s and 1970s.

Born in Paris, France, Longet was married to American singer and television entertainer Andy Williams from 1961 until 1975. She has maintained a private profile since 1977, following her conviction for negligent homicide in connection with the shooting death of her boyfriend, former Olympic skier Spider Sabich.

Popular culture references
In music
In 1980, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrote a song about Spider Sabich's death that was intended to be on the Rolling Stones album Emotional Rescue. The song, titled "Claudine," carried lyrics that painted a graphic picture of some of the more salacious aspects of the affair and killing. It was deemed too controversial and was removed, although it was included on several bootleg Rolling Stones albums. In November 2011, the track "Claudine" was released on the deluxe reissue of their album Some Girls.[19]

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 22, 2021 16:42

jbwelda

jb

I love Indian Girl.

Rod

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 22, 2021 17:00

Claudine is an average song, no wonder it was left off

Date: May 22, 2021 17:00

In music
In 1980, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrote a song about Spider Sabich's death that was intended to be on the Rolling Stones album Emotional Rescue. The song, titled "Claudine," carried lyrics that painted a graphic picture of some of the more salacious aspects of the affair and killing. It was deemed too controversial and was removed, although it was included on several bootleg Rolling Stones albums. In November 2011, the track "Claudine" was released on the deluxe reissue of their album Some Girls.[19]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 22, 2021 19:07

I kind of liked "Let's Go Steady" too. Wonder if we'll ever get a deluxe ER??

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 22, 2021 19:10

bitusa2012
jbwelda

jb

I love Indian Girl.

Good on ya.

jb

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: May 22, 2021 20:11

I had no idea of the history / origin of the song...very interesting.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 23, 2021 00:39

Lies is better than Claudine and fits in better with the other Some Girls tracks.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 23, 2021 00:54

bitusa2012
jbwelda

jb

I love Indian Girl.

Yeah I prefer Indian Girl over Claudine, I even prefer the NON-released Claudine over the released one.

Indian Girl is a perfect thursday night preparing-the-fry up-tune, as far as I'm concerned I could listen to the boys doing quasi-mariachi and tex-mex all day with some tasty blues and country thrown in for good measure. Come saturday night it's time for the JJ Flashes, Street Fighting Men, Start Me Ups and Brown Sugars.

Correct me if I'm wrong but sometimes it feels like some members just dig the proper LARGER THAN LIFE-Rock tunes they've given us and not some of those more hidden gems that are not expected from a Rock n Roll band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-23 01:03 by MadMax.

Date: May 23, 2021 01:36

Aural brown-face.

I far prefer the lesser known songs to the big monster hits. Just not that one.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2021 01:44

some members just dig the proper LARGER THAN LIFE-Rock tunes they've given us and not some of those more hidden gems that are not expected from a Rock n Roll band.

YEP!!!Maxeeeeee .... ya see it here all da time...

Stones go out on a limb with somethang different
and the chainsaws start revving .....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 23, 2021 02:23

MadMax
bitusa2012
jbwelda

jb

I love Indian Girl.

Yeah I prefer Indian Girl over Claudine, I even prefer the NON-released Claudine over the released one.

Indian Girl is a perfect thursday night preparing-the-fry up-tune, as far as I'm concerned I could listen to the boys doing quasi-mariachi and tex-mex all day with some tasty blues and country thrown in for good measure. Come saturday night it's time for the JJ Flashes, Street Fighting Men, Start Me Ups and Brown Sugars.

Correct me if I'm wrong but sometimes it feels like some members just dig the proper LARGER THAN LIFE-Rock tunes they've given us and not some of those more hidden gems that are not expected from a Rock n Roll band.

And most people overlook the spot on political lyrics of their time. It's a great tune.

Date: May 23, 2021 02:25

yearsinthemaking

Claudine Longet
Claudine Longet
Claudine Longet in 1969
Claudine Longet in 1969
Background information
Origin Paris, France
Genres
Occupation(s)
Singeractress
Instruments
Vocalsguitar
Years active 1963–1975
Labels
A&MBarnaby Records
Associated acts
Andy WilliamsNick DeCaro
Claudine Georgette Longet (born 29 January 1942) is a Franco-American singer, actress, dancer, and recording artist popular during the 1960s and 1970s.

Born in Paris, France, Longet was married to American singer and television entertainer Andy Williams from 1961 until 1975. She has maintained a private profile since 1977, following her conviction for negligent homicide in connection with the shooting death of her boyfriend, former Olympic skier Spider Sabich.

In music

Most internet postings say they wrote the song in '78, meaning it for inclusion on Some Girls, but legal problems prevented it. I assume that's why the inferior Lies was stuck in there. They're very similar, but Claudine is better.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2021 06:47

Claudine is below-standard. It's boring. It sounds like something they just... did. They recorded everything, right?

That's what it sounds like. And this is the better version compared to what was finally released.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 24, 2021 07:16

I liked the song from the first time I heard it on the Accidents Will Happen boot.

jb

Date: May 24, 2021 10:31

24FPS
yearsinthemaking

Claudine Longet
Claudine Longet
Claudine Longet in 1969
Claudine Longet in 1969
Background information
Origin Paris, France
Genres
Occupation(s)
Singeractress
Instruments
Vocalsguitar
Years active 1963–1975
Labels
A&MBarnaby Records
Associated acts
Andy WilliamsNick DeCaro

In music

Most internet postings say they wrote the song in '78, meaning it for inclusion on Some Girls, but legal problems prevented it. I assume that's why the inferior Lies was stuck in there. They're very similar, but Claudine is better.

They recorded for SG in 1977. The first sessions for songs for ER were in 1978.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 17, 2021 18:00

yearsinthemaking

[www.cbc.ca]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-17 18:00 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 17, 2021 19:26

This is a great tune that I really love !!!!!!!

Date: December 17, 2021 21:13

I think this is a great song. One of the better post album releases they have done.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 17, 2021 21:53

Nobody mentions the slow version of that track?
The one that positively oozes sleaze with a beyond wasted Jagger on slurs... I mean vocals. It sounds like it was recorded in some pit of hell.

The vibe of it is a precursor of the UC tracks.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 17, 2021 22:41

dcba
The one that positively oozes sleaze with a beyond wasted Jagger on slurs... I mean vocals. It sounds like it was recorded in some pit of hell.

Good enough for bootleg enthusiasts like me, but no commercial potential for official release...
...whereas the fast version could have lifted ER considerably imo.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 17, 2021 23:38

dcba

This?
[youtu.be]

Date: December 17, 2021 23:49

Sounds like the radio broadcast I remember hearing way back when. I bet Mick felt burned by having to pull Some Girls off the shelf because of the album cover and didn't want a repeat of that.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 18, 2021 03:17

Lynd8
Wonder if we'll ever get a deluxe ER??

Is there enough reasonable stuff left for that after the SG and TY deluxe releases?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home