Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Sweet Black Angel Live
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2021 19:17

stickyfingers101
jbwelda
the so called n word was in pretty common use back in those days and didnt carry the heavy connation it does today. Hell there was a (Lil Black, originally) Sambo's pancake house on the corner of my block. In California no less.

But back to Rockman, bro you throw down a Charlie Parker and I will follow with a Robt Johnson and we will have a good old drive.

jb

I agree with you in a sense.

However, what other album(s) by white artists have included that word?

the only other album I know of is Gn'R "Lies" in 1988.

Not saying you are wrong....but, I find it hard to believe that white-artists throwing around N-Bombs publicly was very common in 1972....or any other year.

I certainly could be wrong, but I'd like some more evidence of the "commonality" in terms of musicians and/or albums.

I simply find it hard to believe that someone like Mick didn't think about whether or not he wanted to be singing "n-bomb" over and over, every night, night after night....around black people and black artists, no less.

I don't claim to know, but I'd honestly be "disappointed" in Mick if this didn't cross his mind. No chance he didn't know in 1972 that the word was "controversial" and/or "hurtful"....or if he didn't know, then he is a lot dumber and lamer than I thought...

as stated previously: I think it was lame to include the word in the first place...it adds nothing to the song, IMO, and makes it essentially un-listenable for me anymore....

just my 2 cents.

by the way, nice plants JB!.....go America!

Well, from those days comes to my mind at least Lennon's song "Woman Is the N-word of the World", starting from the very title. Released the same year as "Sweet Black Angel". Then Dylan uses it in "Hurricane" (1975) - a song pretty similar to "Sweet Black Angel" by function and purpose. A few years later Patti Smith named one song as "Rock'n'Roll N-word". The Sex Pistols sing/shout in "The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle" about "Mick Jagger White N-word" (there you go, Mick...).

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-24 19:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 24, 2021 19:37

Doxa
stickyfingers101
jbwelda
the so called n word was in pretty common use back in those days and didnt carry the heavy connation it does today. Hell there was a (Lil Black, originally) Sambo's pancake house on the corner of my block. In California no less.

But back to Rockman, bro you throw down a Charlie Parker and I will follow with a Robt Johnson and we will have a good old drive.

jb

I agree with you in a sense.

However, what other album(s) by white artists have included that word?

the only other album I know of is Gn'R "Lies" in 1988.

Not saying you are wrong....but, I find it hard to believe that white-artists throwing around N-Bombs publicly was very common in 1972....or any other year.

I certainly could be wrong, but I'd like some more evidence of the "commonality" in terms of musicians and/or albums.

I simply find it hard to believe that someone like Mick didn't think about whether or not he wanted to be singing "n-bomb" over and over, every night, night after night....around black people and black artists, no less.

I don't claim to know, but I'd honestly be "disappointed" in Mick if this didn't cross his mind. No chance he didn't know in 1972 that the word was "controversial" and/or "hurtful"....or if he didn't know, then he is a lot dumber and lamer than I thought...

as stated previously: I think it was lame to include the word in the first place...it adds nothing to the song, IMO, and makes it essentially un-listenable for me anymore....

just my 2 cents.

by the way, nice plants JB!.....go America!

Well, from those days comes to my mind at least Lennon's song "Woman Is the N-word of the World", starting from the very title. Released the same year as "Sweet Black Angel". Then Dylan uses it in "Hurricane" (1975). A few years later Patti Smith named one song as "Rock'n'Roll N-word". The Sex Pistols sing/shout in "The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle" about "Mick Jagger White N-word" (there you go, Mick...).

- Doxa

Jane's Addiction's 1987 song Whores (way less popular, obviously) is another one...

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 24, 2021 21:05

Thanks for the updates, folks!

I forgot about Lennon...and Dylan.

I never caught it in "Whores"...

never was a fan of Patti Smith, so that slipped past me....and, Sex Pistols, well...I guess I would "expect" it more from Punk, so I'm less-surprised there.

anyway...thanks, all!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 25, 2021 14:51

I still have a children's book for learning to read from the mid-1950's called 'tien kleine negertjes' ('Ten Little Niggers'), with the line ''ten little niggers were sitting on a wall, one fell off and became a pain in the ass'. (Tien kleine negers zaten op een muur, eentje viel er af en maakte ons het leven zuur').

I understand this was a popular rhyme in England as well, and no doubt the inspiration for the line in Sweet Black Angel.

Mathijs

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 25, 2021 15:45

Mathijs
I still have a children's book for learning to read from the mid-1950's called 'tien kleine negertjes' ('Ten Little Niggers'), with the line ''ten little niggers were sitting on a wall, one fell off and became a pain in the ass'. (Tien kleine negers zaten op een muur, eentje viel er af en maakte ons het leven zuur').

I understand this was a popular rhyme in England as well, and no doubt the inspiration for the line in Sweet Black Angel.

Mathijs

Very interesting.

Date: May 25, 2021 16:43

Mathijs

Mathijs

Wow. This is huge.

is this a book in English?

I always wondered WTF was up w/ that line about "sitting on a wall"....looks like he simply lifted the entire 1st half of the phrase and manipulated the 2nd half to his liking.....

geebus.

now I'm wondering if he chose not to keep performing it b/c he was worried somebody would eventually make the connection to where he got the lyric...

The word sux either way, but IMO, it certainly seems less "artistic" or "edgy" (or whatever) that he simply plagiarized a racist line from a racist children's book.

IMO, the word is lame, it undermines the song's worth and he never should've included it....

and if this is indeed the source of the lyric, I find it an even lamer inclusion....

just my opinion.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 25, 2021 17:02

stickyfingers101
Mathijs

Mathijs

Wow. This is huge.

is this a book in English?

I always wondered WTF was up w/ that line about "sitting on a wall"....looks like he simply lifted the entire 1st half of the phrase and manipulated the 2nd half to his liking.....

geebus.

now I'm wondering if he chose not to keep performing it b/c he was worried somebody would eventually make the connection to where he got the lyric...

The word sux either way, but IMO, it certainly seems less "artistic" or "edgy" (or whatever) that he simply plagiarized a racist line from a racist children's book.

IMO, the word is lame, it undermines the song's worth and he never should've included it....

and if this is indeed the source of the lyric, I find it an even lamer inclusion....

just my opinion.

It's this book, but in this one the text is totally different. I think this one is older than the one I have.

[www.dbnl.org]

This one is in English, again with different rhymes.

[aloadoftrollope.wordpress.com]

Apparently these were used to teach children to count.

Mathijs

Date: May 25, 2021 18:09

Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None was originally titled Ten Little N-word (though never in the US) - presumably based on the older counting rhymes, which were probably obsolete by the time it was published in 1939. The British title only changed in 1985. Ten Little Indians is an alternative to those number rhymes. I'd guess the lyrical inspiration was from there, more than the by-then obsolete counting rhymes?

Date: May 25, 2021 18:30

Thanks, Mathjis! Very interesting stuff.

And thanks MadMax....I totally forgot about "Ten Little Indians"....and I never knew that Agatha Christie title.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 25, 2021 19:03

stickyfingers101
Mathijs

Mathijs

Wow. This is huge.

Ithink we completely under-estimate Mick and Keith's ability to draw inspiration from "unlikely" (= non-rock) sources.

The other night I was watching David Lean's 1945 classic melodrama "Brief Encounter".
At one moment one character said "Wild horses couldn't drag me away".
"Funny coincidence" I thought. 10 minutes later another character said : "time waits for no one".

Another coincidence? Or not?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 25, 2021 19:19

If you ask me, Ten Little Indians is not much of an improvement. Unless they are talking about people from India.

But that will get me off on another tangential tirade about the injustices of the world, a world in which people are called "Indians" because those who "discovered" them were totally lost and thought they were in India, and meanwhile the native peoples were nice and naive enuff to not just kill them all where they stand and end the eventual exploitation then and there. Or at least forestall it.

"Wild horses couldn't drag me away" was a common phrase way before that movie or the Rolling Stones. They appropriated the saying for the song, as they did with "time waits for no one". Not all that clever nor original.

jb

Date: May 25, 2021 20:21

jbwelda
If you ask me, Ten Little Indians is not much of an improvement. Unless they are talking about people from India.

But that will get me off on another tangential tirade about the injustices of the world, a world in which people are called "Indians" because those who "discovered" them were totally lost and thought they were in India, and meanwhile the native peoples were nice and naive enuff to not just kill them all where they stand and end the eventual exploitation then and there. Or at least forestall it.

"Wild horses couldn't drag me away" was a common phrase way before that movie or the Rolling Stones. They appropriated the saying for the song, as they did with "time waits for no one". Not all that clever nor original.

jb

I agree, but N-Bomb is much worse, IMO.

there's just so much hatred behind it....It seems to me that "Indians" was mostly a result of ignorance and I've never heard it used in the way N-bomb is/was....

I also agree about "Wild Horses" and "Time Waits for No One"...

Go Cleveland Baseball Team!!

Date: May 26, 2021 00:28

Just to state so, I am opposed to banning words. Words express ideas, if words are banned then so are the ideas, and while that can be a good thing, it can also be a bad totalitarian thing too. The word "N word" expresses a whole range of feeling and thinking beyond the physical description. That is why it is such a powerful word. As an amateur linguist, I find it kind of appalling we are willing to exile such words to the never-to-be-spoken realm.

I understand and support those who want to lessen the impact of racism and a lot of other -isms but a part of me feels sad that we are losing the ability to communicate, either good or bad, due to the overwhelming tide of PCism. Half of which I myself support.

Its never simple.

jb

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 26, 2021 01:22

Date: May 23, 2021 19:43

Let me give you a short bio to clear up some confusion here:

Despite your fantasies, jb is a "dude". jb has lived as an adult in Papua New Guinea, Australia, and Jamaica for extended periods of time and grew up mostly in the Philippines and Guam with a little time in Japan. Most of the rest of my life has been spent in California. Served a short stint in federal prison in the mid seventies for a little indiscretion involving transporting substances over international boundaries. Worked on and received a degree in Computer Science and then a further degree in Engineering before working for private industry in California for thirty or so years with some leaves of absence to pursue other goals. Been involved in bringing reggae music to the states for about thirty years or so now, including major work with the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival and working with a lot of people in the music industry over the years, including the Bill Graham organization. Have been involved with a number of somewhat "fringe" organizations over the years so have that experience under my belt as well. Not going to go into exactly what organizations I am alluding to, but will say, could have been arrested more than once for some of the things I have been involved with in my association with those people and groups.

So if you think you are dealing with some inbred halfwit who has never left his nest, you are wrong.

Anyone is welcome to come visit me and we will have a good time, I can promise you that.

thanks
jb

wow you sound like you've had quite the life can't wait to read your book if you ever so choose to write it winking smiley

i'm white but my family is pretty diverse i have a lot american indians in my family (yakima, chehalis, puyallup, makah, blackfoot, cherokee, oglala) i grew up knowing a lot of them 4 different generations and in school when i was young i was taught not to call them indian but native american but when i did that my cousins would always correct me and say they preferred to be called indians or native but above else they just want to be called yakima, chehalis, puyallup, makah, blackfoot, cherokee, or oglala i agree with your point though damn colombus was a massive idiot

I heard her talk about it in person on a couple of occasions.

All that aside, I love the song myself. Just think the whole Angela Davis connection is contrived and not appreciated from the subject's corner.

You think white privilege is bullshit, and I bet you are white. Quite a common coinkidink I have found.

And good one about the s'mores.

jb

i know this is a little late in the conversation to bring this up but you heard her talk about her thoughts about sweet black angel could you please be little more specific when, where, in what context did she bring it up was she asked a question about it or did she lead into it from another subject what did she say exactly sorry if i'm being a pest i'm just very interested in her opinion on the subject

Posted by: CrosseyedHeart ()
Date: May 26, 2021 02:02

Then there’s Patti Smith Group’s “Rock and Roll N******” (which I believe was covered by Marilyn Manson-obviously just for “shock” value).
She even performed it at her Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, which I thought was odd. I understand what she was trying to say with the lyrics-like John Lennon’s “Woman Is the N***** of the World,” but it just doesn’t sound right now-whatever the context. Same with “Sweet Back Angel.” (I didn’t even realize what Mick was singing until decades after ‘Exile On Main St’ came out!).

*OOPS! This has already been addressed I now see! Sorry about that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-26 02:09 by CrosseyedHeart.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 26, 2021 02:18

I don't care for rap music, but hip hop artists still are allowed artistic license to say whatever they want, however they want, without old white guys tut tutting them.
The Stones used to have that license, too.

Date: May 26, 2021 02:43

Mostly though, they shorten it to "n***a".

Professor, if you want to hear more send me an email jbwelda at gmail dot com. Don't really have any great stories, but was around her quite a bit at one time, way later than any of this controversy, mid and late 80s mostly. Mostly seminars and workshops about political situations.

jb

Date: May 26, 2021 03:21

i might just do that but and i know this is probaly a stupid question do i include to the spaces in your email address i'm new to this stuff

Date: May 26, 2021 03:25

Wait never mind i fiqured it out

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 26, 2021 08:57

I think the usage of the word in hip-hop is, really, to do with ownership and impact: the hip-hop community have taken the word for themselves. That’s fine with me: the explosive gangsta rap of the late-eighties and early-nighties wouldn’t have had quite the same impact without its excessive usage. Listen to N.W.A.’s Straight Outta Compton. It wouldn’t be the same.

Date: May 26, 2021 10:52

Big Al
I think the usage of the word in hip-hop is, really, to do with ownership and impact: the hip-hop community have taken the word for themselves. That’s fine with me: the explosive gangsta rap of the late-eighties and early-nighties wouldn’t have had quite the same impact without its excessive usage. Listen to N.W.A.’s Straight Outta Compton. It wouldn’t be the same.

Totally agree with this. The ones who call other people names should never get to define how it "should be" perceived.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 26, 2021 17:38

I’m honestly blown away most people here didn’t know Jagger took that line from a book. Explains a lot really.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 26, 2021 17:40

Big Al

Yeah that word was used in the community prior to hip-hop.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 26, 2021 18:38

jbwelda

The Native American are not native to America.They came over the land bridge from Siberia to Alaska 20000 years ago.They were according to the latest dna testing 70 percent asiatic but 30 percent Europeans! So Europeans are native to Americaunder that definition.Likewise according to dna testing and scientific evidence, all Europeans derive from dark skinned Africans who came out of East Africa and made their way eventually to Europe.The only native people of Europe appear to have been Neatherdals

Date: May 26, 2021 18:49

They were Asiatic-Russians, weren't they?

Date: May 26, 2021 18:59

DandelionPowderman
There was no country of Russia, but according to DNA tests and scientific research, they were 30 percent what would be considered Caucasian .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-26 19:01 by Taylor1.

Date: May 26, 2021 19:19

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
There was no country of Russia, but according to DNA tests and scientific research, they were 30 percent what would be considered Caucasian .

There were no countries at all smiling smiley

However, they supposedly walked by foot (as soon as the ice melted and the water was shallow enough, according to recent research) from what's Russia today to Alaska.

Date: May 26, 2021 19:39

Taylor1

The Native American are not native to America.They came over the land bridge from Siberia to Alaska 20000 years ago.They were according to the latest dna testing 70 percent asiatic but 30 percent Europeans! So Europeans are native to Americaunder that definition.Likewise according to dna testing and scientific evidence, all Europeans derive from dark skinned Africans who came out of East Africa and made their way eventually to Europe.The only native people of Europe appear to have been Neatherdals

Yeah well that is about as pertinent as noting the Rolling Stones were way ahead of their time when they released Exile on Main St in 1962. I can see where your world view comes from much clearer now. The white people owned it the whole time and were merely kicking the squatters out. Got it.

jb

Date: May 26, 2021 21:32

That’s not what I said. what I said was there is no such thing as a Native American,since they came from Asia.And those people you call native Americans are genetically 30percent Europeans.So therefore Europeans were here when the people crossed over from Asia into America.Likewise, since all Europeans derive from dark skinned Africans from East Africa , there is no such thing as a native European. You should really study up on the genetics of the human animal

Date: May 27, 2021 02:54

but those groups came over 20000 years ago first before other groups of peoples
then were for the most part isolated for 20000 years and developed there own cultures and traditions that were linked to the land they settled for 20000 YEARS and those cultures and traditions are significantly different from all peoples including europeans

i don't completly disagree with your point because it is a matter of fact that in a genetic sense race dosen't exist but shared culural identies do and along with physical appearances and geographic location is how people define there identies as human beings

also neanderthals also shared europe with homo erectus,homo heidelbergensis and many other species of human homonids for the last million years or so

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home