Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Sweet Black Angel Live
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 20, 2021 06:09

back to performing the song live, it is just too subtle of a song to go over well in a Stones concert. There is a lot of delicate interplay they have proven themselves incapable or unwilling to attempt in a live setting. Everything on stage is bang pow right in the face, a quiet introspective song like this never comes across well. Thats probably why they only attempted it once, and that attempt was pretty pathetic (I bought the cd set just to hear it). I think they decided to stick with slaughtering Jumping Jack Flash or something instead.

jb

Date: May 20, 2021 08:52

jbwelda
back to performing the song live, it is just too subtle of a song to go over well in a Stones concert. There is a lot of delicate interplay they have proven themselves incapable or unwilling to attempt in a live setting. Everything on stage is bang pow right in the face, a quiet introspective song like this never comes across well. Thats probably why they only attempted it once, and that attempt was pretty pathetic (I bought the cd set just to hear it). I think they decided to stick with slaughtering Jumping Jack Flash or something instead.

jb

When they tried it they rocked it up with electric guitars. They could have given it the Sweet Virginia-treatment. That one worked well, imo.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: May 20, 2021 09:37

Taylor1
What exactly is a person of color? Hispanics from the Americas are genetically white.Black tribe’s enslaved other blacks in Africa .Many were sold to Arab and Europeans .The history of man is the history of atrocities by all races.Whites have done a lot of that to sub Saharan Africans.The Europeans enslaved and committed crimes and exploited Africans
because they were militarily stronger, therefore more atrocities by the victor.But Europeans also gave subSaharian blacks modern culture.They would have no modern plum such as hot water/cold water,clean water, air conditioning ,concrete buildings, modern medicine, cars, radios, phones,internet ,modern farming, written language,photography,airplanes,processed foods, shoes,mode clothing, televisions, electricity, hospitals etc.Yes, Europeans did exploit and committed atrocities but also gave them modern technology .So let’s address the bad and continue to correct it

The thought that development is a linear and that the prosperity of a people can be measured by the technology or some other European projection has been refused by social anthropologists for almost 100 years. I can‘t believe that some people still think the pain that has been caused by Colonialism somehow can be made up with bringing consumerism or that these people were somehow wild or unorganised before the Europeans came...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 20, 2021 09:37

jbwelda
georgie48
jbwelda
Angela Davis laughed at, scorned really, that song and the concept it could have been about her. She doesn't put up with white privilege and never has, nor sexist racist a holes using her in any manner including inspiration for a song that is both sexist and racist. And this song was pretty much the child of a marriage of white privilege and a marshmallow.

jb

That's a lot of frustration in a few sentences...
I also read about Angela Davis' response (did she really or was it modified by ...) and by reading it I couldn't help thinking that if that is what she said, her intellect must have been limited. She was fighting for a great cause, but not being able to understand well hearted contributions of white people to support her fight, makes her thinking limited. The lyrics of SBA are not sexist and racist. Only frustrated people think that way. Poems so often have hidden meanings within them and it's for the open minds to be able to read/find them. "White privilege", what a b*llshit!
Once upon a time I was in Washington DC and was hungry arriving in a hotel after a long flight from Europe. The hotel manager told me that the only food place nearby was a McDonalds. He said I'd better not go there because it was for black people. To me, nothing is for white people only and consequently nothing was for black people only either. So I went there to get my meal and enjoyed it inside, surrounded by black people. Many strange looks, but it didn't make me feel uncomfortable in any way. It was more the other way around! The latter I could off course understand because this was the USA and they couldn't know I was a non racist white European. All was peaceful and I returned with a happy stomach back to the hotel. The manager thought I was crazy, well ... I didn't.
Mick's intensions were good ...
cool smiley

I heard her talk about it in person on a couple of occasions.

All that aside, I love the song myself. Just think the whole Angela Davis connection is contrived and not appreciated from the subject's corner.

You think white privilege is bullshit, and I bet you are white. Quite a common coinkidink I have found.

And good one about the s'mores.

jb

Whilst not entirely bullshit, I do think the term is weaponised to shoot-down any argument. This happens far, far too often.

Globally and historically, there is undoubtedly such a thing, yet in day-to-day living, not so much. Poor white families from a long line of impoverishment would probably ask one to observe their own lives as evidence.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 20, 2021 09:40

DandelionPowderman
jbwelda

jb

When they tried it they rocked it up with electric guitars. They could have given it the Sweet Virginia-treatment. That one worked well, imo.

I'm sure they can perform SBA properly. It could be done in a subtile way, like You got the Silver or As Tears Go By (as they did, in Italian, in Milan in 2006) or like you said, Sweet Virginia. They would maybe need a fine percussionist to support the special rhythm. Personally I think they're better off choosing any other "soft" song that would fit better in the setlist.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 20, 2021 10:26

MonkeyMan2000
Taylor1
What exactly is a person of color? Hispanics from the Americas are genetically white.Black tribe’s enslaved other blacks in Africa .Many were sold to Arab and Europeans .The history of man is the history of atrocities by all races.Whites have done a lot of that to sub Saharan Africans.The Europeans enslaved and committed crimes and exploited Africans
because they were militarily stronger, therefore more atrocities by the victor.But Europeans also gave subSaharian blacks modern culture.They would have no modern plum such as hot water/cold water,clean water, air conditioning ,concrete buildings, modern medicine, cars, radios, phones,internet ,modern farming, written language,photography,airplanes,processed foods, shoes,mode clothing, televisions, electricity, hospitals etc.Yes, Europeans did exploit and committed atrocities but also gave them modern technology .So let’s address the bad and continue to correct it

The thought that development is a linear and that the prosperity of a people can be measured by the technology or some other European projection has been refused by social anthropologists for almost 100 years. I can‘t believe that some people still think the pain that has been caused by Colonialism somehow can be made up with bringing consumerism or that these people were somehow wild or unorganised before the Europeans came...

+1

Date: May 20, 2021 12:24

It's a good tune for soundchecks, though smiling smiley

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 20, 2021 13:56

NashvilleBlues
Erik_Snow
Because it didn't come off to good live with electric guitars. It's messy.
Loving Cup, which they did the first week of the tour, was a better contender for being a regular in the setlist, though they didn't play it after the machinery got really together, later on in 1972.

Yeah. It did sound a bit rough around the edges, even for The Stones. Would've been cool if they kept working with it.

Loving cup is an example of one of those hidden jewels/deep cuts and a lost opportunity to showcase a great tune. Who knows, back in 1972, maybe it didn't fit in with the established set-list (or needed more embellishment or support players to successfully knock it off) that they couldn't provide. But just like they did with Can't You Hear Me Knocking (which produced great dividends when they returned to it years later-allegedly played one time in 1971 and finally returning on the Licks tour), I think Loving Cup is such a great tune that it could have seen more rotation (and becoming a secondary hit so to speak) over the years- rather than the infrequent playing on the Licks tour or showcased for Shine a Light.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 14:26 by Sighunt.

Date: May 20, 2021 18:15

I always thought Loving Cup devolved about halfway through into just tangled mush. Don't know what they would do with it on stage other than go through the motions and hope that mess gets over quick.

jb

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 20, 2021 18:27

DandelionPowderman
MonkeyMan2000
Taylor1

The Europeans gave them vaccines, clean water electricity, a written language ,books, .They gave them modern health care so they wouldn’t die of malaria aids and other illnesses.Modern farming so they would not starve.I could go on and in.Telephone ,tv, radio, mass produced foods, sanitation.If you think those aren’t benefits which enriched their livesthen let’s all give them upland go back to being hunter gathers like our ancestors.This isn’t a racial argument.The Romans, Greeks and Black Egyptians had much more advanced societies than the Brits or Germans prior to the Roman colonization of Britain.In fact Black Pharohs had a much more advanced society than any Europeans.The EgyptianBlacks were instrumental in giving the world farming and medicine just to name a few of their great achievements.
+1

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 20, 2021 19:06

jbwelda
I always thought Loving Cup devolved about halfway through into just tangled mush. Don't know what they would do with it on stage other than go through the motions and hope that mess gets over quick.

jb

I have to disagree with that assessment. Aside from the unfortunate pairing of Jack White with Mick on vocals as featured in Shine a Light, IMHO, I didnt see that song falling apart. Yes, it has its twists and turns and is a tune that requires Mick to be on top of his game via his vocal chops, but I think with the current line-up of background support he gets, they can certainly pull it off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 19:07 by Sighunt.

Date: May 20, 2021 19:21

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
MonkeyMan2000
Taylor1

The Europeans gave them vaccines, clean water electricity, a written language ,books, .They gave them modern health care so they wouldn’t die of malaria aids and other illnesses.Modern farming so they would not starve.I could go on and in.Telephone ,tv, radio, mass produced foods, sanitation.If you think those aren’t benefits which enriched their livesthen let’s all give them upland go back to being hunter gathers like our ancestors.This isn’t a racial argument.The Romans, Greeks and Black Egyptians had much more advanced societies than the Brits or Germans prior to the Roman colonization of Britain.In fact Black Pharohs had a much more advanced society than any Europeans.The EgyptianBlacks were instrumental in giving the world farming and medicine just to name a few of their great achievements.
+1

I didn't +1 this.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 20, 2021 21:55

It's such an acoustic song. It would have fit right in on the acoustic set they did on the Voodoo Lounge tour. But yes, it would be too controversial to perform now. They don't need that kind of publicity any longer. No Black and Blue. No pissin' on gas station walls. No Some Girls ethnic fantasies. Nothing to get in the way of ticket sales.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2021 21:56

jbwelda
I always thought Loving Cup devolved about halfway through into just tangled mush.

Heck!! .... dont think we should drive across
The Nullarbor tagether with a box of Stones CD's ..... HHhaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: May 21, 2021 00:36

you mentioned that before Rockman, but like I said then, theres plenty of other tracks to listen to. And just because that is my assessment of the song it doesn't necessarily mean I don't like it. In fact I really like about the first half of it, up until it starts getting really tenuous and starts to fall apart. I also confuse the exile version with the version they tried at Montreaux (sp) where they really demonstrate how it could fall apart in the last half.

I just think it (Loving Cup) would not work on stage. It is too easy to lose it trying to play it I would think and I am also of the mind that they pretty much have no concept of subtlety on stage most times. I think its why they mostly stick to the songs they have done a billion times, its just easier to keep together and everyone knows their parts. This band stopped striking me as a band that wanted to work to sound good a long time ago. Now they are mostly posing.

jb

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 21, 2021 00:36

Taylor1

right but arabs and africians didn't commit these atrocities then build a whole system of philosophy that based on there phisycal appearance and attributes they where mentally, physically, & culturally superior to all other peoples and that justified them continuing those atrocities for centuries in every corner of the globe resulting in the enslavement and genocide of millions upon millions of people and the destruction of there unique histories and cultural practices because they where deemed inferior to or in conflict with there own thus robbing humanity of huge chunks of our own cultural heratige as a species
not to mention the descendants of those victimized
and what justified what a person of color is was what the white majority considered non white and thus inferior
as an example my aunt who is white married a black man in the 70's and my great grand mother would not let him in her house and told my aunt that she didn't believe in these mixed marriages like between whites and italains which today sound absurd but to her generation of white americans (she was born in 1896) italians, eastern europians, & irish where not white but now a century later are for the most part which just goes to show how stupid and irrational the thinking behind racist beliefs are
by the way i don't think your a racist or a bad person just ill informed

as far as the song goes i love it but can see how angela wouldn't maybe not feel so great about a band of white guys singing the n word in a song for her
that being said from mick's perspective as a somewhat sheltered white guy in the early sevinties i'm sure his intent was only to show support and admiration for her and not insult her as to why he used the n word in it i have no idea i don't get the vibe that he was trying to intentionaly offend or be provocative
like with brown sugar so that'll just have to remain a mystery i'm sure if he played it today he would skip the accent and change the word and it would sound pretty good today in my opinion onstage especially if they keep there little acoustic segment they did in 2019 i mean its not that much more complex or different from sweet virgina which they pulled off ok in 2019 i do agree they would need an extra percussionist though

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 21, 2021 01:19

The Dallas Rehearsal version is a gorgeous, but abrupt piece of music. Mick Taylor plays some beautiful lines and you can hear quite well what he might have done live. He can't be heard very well on the live version.

Date: May 21, 2021 01:20

the so called n word was in pretty common use back in those days and didnt carry the heavy connation it does today. Hell there was a (Lil Black, originally) Sambo's pancake house on the corner of my block. In California no less.

But back to Rockman, bro you throw down a Charlie Parker and I will follow with a Robt Johnson and we will have a good old drive.

jb

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 21, 2021 01:41

jbwelda
Acquitted of all charges in a babylon court of law. If there were even the slightest proof of the charges she woulda swung from the tree outside the Marin County Courthouse (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, by the way, used to live about two miles from it) immediately following the guilty verdict, no need for "sentencing".

Its no good to live in a white man country too long. -king yellowman

Perhaps that answers georgie48's query above.

jb

White man country = bad / all other countries = good?

I think there's a good reason why discussing politics here is not exactly welcomed. In particular if phrases that indicate an extremely selected perspective appear on the scene.

Date: May 21, 2021 02:43

>White man country = bad / all other countries = good?

Oh so perceptive. Life and society is totally binary.

jb

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 22, 2021 19:31

Sweet Black Angel live was good, but has a totally different feel. It has kind of a reggae groove. It reminds me of Luxury.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-22 19:32 by ryanpow.

Date: May 23, 2021 10:05

retired_dog
jbwelda
Acquitted of all charges in a babylon court of law. If there were even the slightest proof of the charges she woulda swung from the tree outside the Marin County Courthouse (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, by the way, used to live about two miles from it) immediately following the guilty verdict, no need for "sentencing".

jb

I think there's a good reason why discussing politics here is not exactly welcomed. In particular if phrases that indicate an extremely selected perspective appear on the scene.

It's a shame I don't have an easy chance to meet jbwelda, because to let her know in person that the world (there is a lot more going on there than in the USA!) is not the USA, may help to soften her stand on many black/white things. I (not only) visited the USA lot, I also worked there for several periods of time.
I had plenty of talks/discussions with people of all kinds of racial backgrounds ("white" is also just a "color", but what many still don't know is that it consists of many colors (hidden in the "background") and they taught me a lot about the USA. I went to states like North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, but also Arizona, New Mexico (among some 20 other states) and was at times amazed about the hatred (you can also read it as "fear") that (still) exists there. Too many to mention positive experiences however made up for that easily. The USA has come along way since the 50s where it comes to racism, but still has a long way to go. Racism is a serious mental disease and contagious, so we need a very special "vaccine" to deal with it in the long term.
Sweet Black Angel should have been a small push toward getting that "vaccine", but did it?
winking smiley

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 23, 2021 14:01

georgie48
retired_dog
jbwelda

jb

It's a shame I don't have an easy chance to meet jbwelda, because to let her know in person that the world (there is a lot more going on there than in the USA!) is not the USA, may help to soften her stand on many black/white things. I (not only) visited the USA lot, I also worked there for several periods of time.
I had plenty of talks/discussions with people of all kinds of racial backgrounds ("white" is also just a "color", but what many still don't know is that it consists of many colors (hidden in the "background") and they taught me a lot about the USA. I went to states like North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, but also Arizona, New Mexico (among some 20 other states) and was at times amazed about the hatred (you can also read it as "fear") that (still) exists there. Too many to mention positive experiences however made up for that easily. The USA has come along way since the 50s where it comes to racism, but still has a long way to go. Racism is a serious mental disease and contagious, so we need a very special "vaccine" to deal with it in the long term.
Sweet Black Angel should have been a small push toward getting that "vaccine", but did it?
winking smiley

I think JB is a dude.

going to the USA is like Luke going into the cave in "Empire"....

"what's in there?" - Luke

"only what you bring with you" - Yoda

Date: May 23, 2021 19:43

Let me give you a short bio to clear up some confusion here:

Despite your fantasies, jb is a "dude". jb has lived as an adult in Papua New Guinea, Australia, and Jamaica for extended periods of time and grew up mostly in the Philippines and Guam with a little time in Japan. Most of the rest of my life has been spent in California. Served a short stint in federal prison in the mid seventies for a little indiscretion involving transporting substances over international boundaries. Worked on and received a degree in Computer Science and then a further degree in Engineering before working for private industry in California for thirty or so years with some leaves of absence to pursue other goals. Been involved in bringing reggae music to the states for about thirty years or so now, including major work with the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival and working with a lot of people in the music industry over the years, including the Bill Graham organization. Have been involved with a number of somewhat "fringe" organizations over the years so have that experience under my belt as well. Not going to go into exactly what organizations I am alluding to, but will say, could have been arrested more than once for some of the things I have been involved with in my association with those people and groups.

So if you think you are dealing with some inbred halfwit who has never left his nest, you are wrong.

Anyone is welcome to come visit me and we will have a good time, I can promise you that.

thanks
jb

Date: May 23, 2021 20:08

jbwelda
Let me give you a short bio to clear up some confusion here:

Despite your fantasies, jb is a "dude". jb has lived as an adult in Papua New Guinea, Australia, and Jamaica for extended periods of time and grew up mostly in the Philippines and Guam with a little time in Japan. Most of the rest of my life has been spent in California. Served a short stint in federal prison in the mid seventies for a little indiscretion involving transporting substances over international boundaries. Worked on and received a degree in Computer Science and then a further degree in Engineering before working for private industry in California for thirty or so years with some leaves of absence to pursue other goals. Been involved in bringing reggae music to the states for about thirty years or so now, including major work with the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival and working with a lot of people in the music industry over the years, including the Bill Graham organization. Have been involved with a number of somewhat "fringe" organizations over the years so have that experience under my belt as well. Not going to go into exactly what organizations I am alluding to, but will say, could have been arrested more than once for some of the things I have been involved with in my association with those people and groups.

So if you think you are dealing with some inbred halfwit who has never left his nest, you are wrong.

Anyone is welcome to come visit me and we will have a good time, I can promise you that.

thanks
jb

Sorry jbwelda, with that kind of life experience you for sure must be a "dude" (I hope I'm not insulting any of the ladies on IORR). I have the habbit to judge people only when I've known them for quite a while, but at times written words can mislead ("dude" or "gal" f.i.). You wearing a mask when needed doesn't make you an inbred halfwit anyway winking smiley And ... even Jane Fonda got arrested, so being arrested wouldn't make you an inbred halfwit either. Who knows, maybe the Stones will "do" California again "soon" and we could be having a beer there cool smiley
It would be interesting to know your experience with Japan. I have a 48 years history with that country, that's why.
In the mean time, forget about the lyrics, just focus on the delicate instrumental part of Sweet Black Angel
smileys with beer

Date: May 23, 2021 20:46

I look forward to the day, Georgie.

I was only in Japan for a year and I was only about six years old so my knowledge of the place is pretty limited. Just remember being introduced to Japanese food and sushi there, hated it at the time, but oh as time went on...I always wanted to go back there for some record shopping if nothing else, and to check out the car culture there that I see so much about.

I live out in a vineyard in the Sacramento river delta area now. Big sound system and no neighbors, you can guess what I do when I feel it. I don't drink wine so I have to keep up with the Jones in other ways.

Hope to meet you and others one day. Don't be shy.

jb

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 24, 2021 16:09

jbwelda
I look forward to the day, Georgie.

I was only in Japan for a year and I was only about six years old so my knowledge of the place is pretty limited. Just remember being introduced to Japanese food and sushi there, hated it at the time, but oh as time went on...I always wanted to go back there for some record shopping if nothing else, and to check out the car culture there that I see so much about.

I live out in a vineyard in the Sacramento river delta area now. Big sound system and no neighbors, you can guess what I do when I feel it. I don't drink wine so I have to keep up with the Jones in other ways.

Hope to meet you and others one day. Don't be shy.

jb

smoking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 24, 2021 18:21

Not my favorite song, but they were quite sincere in working up this song. Both Mick and Keith, from what I've read. Also naive.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 24, 2021 18:52

jbwelda
the so called n word was in pretty common use back in those days and didnt carry the heavy connation it does today. Hell there was a (Lil Black, originally) Sambo's pancake house on the corner of my block. In California no less.

But back to Rockman, bro you throw down a Charlie Parker and I will follow with a Robt Johnson and we will have a good old drive.

jb

I agree with you in a sense.

However, what other album(s) by white artists have included that word?

the only other album I know of is Gn'R "Lies" in 1988.

Not saying you are wrong....but, I find it hard to believe that white-artists throwing around N-Bombs publicly was very common in 1972....or any other year.

I certainly could be wrong, but I'd like some more evidence of the "commonality" in terms of musicians and/or albums.

I simply find it hard to believe that someone like Mick didn't think about whether or not he wanted to be singing "n-bomb" over and over, every night, night after night....around black people and black artists, no less.

I don't claim to know, but I'd honestly be "disappointed" in Mick if this didn't cross his mind. No chance he didn't know in 1972 that the word was "controversial" and/or "hurtful"....or if he didn't know, then he is a lot dumber and lamer than I thought...

as stated previously: I think it was lame to include the word in the first place...it adds nothing to the song, IMO, and makes it essentially un-listenable for me anymore....

just my 2 cents.

by the way, nice plants JB!.....go America!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-24 18:53 by stickyfingers101.

Date: May 24, 2021 19:14

Yes I agree he used it for shock value and its one of the things I am sure rankled Ms Davis about the concept of the song being about her or dedicated to her or something.

Thanks for the complement SF101, thats just one plant of many that year. And it was immature at that point as you can tell. My friend is guarding it from the lizard he spots.

jb

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home