Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Happy Syttende Mai!
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 17, 2021 12:48

To all our Norwegian friends (& those of us with Norwegian roots), Happy Syttende Mai!

Re: OT Happy Syttende Mai!
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 17, 2021 14:20

Those who know each other from before are shouting "Hurra!", walking dressed up through the streets. A muted celebration.

Date: May 17, 2021 14:44

No muted celebration here. The weather is crap, but beer and champagne will fix that.

Hipp hurra! smileys with beer

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 17, 2021 16:00

I am so happy to be at home for this 17. mai celebration, even if the pandemic is making it hard to celebrate like we use to do, normally with school children parading the streets, and school brass bands performing in the parades, with our flag in red, white and blue colors, as the first green leaves are showing up on the trees, following a long winter.

Today has been wet wet wet, lots of rain in the south, while the west and north of Norway has been having great sunshine. We were out this morning before 10am where I live in Asker, as the crown prince family live here, and they had a pop-up surprise drive by appearance in their A-3 car. Unfortunately the rain prevented an appearance with their cabriolet, like they did last year in this area.

We do have grandchildren in one of the local school brass bands, and they have been parading in the rain all day. Three out of seven 17. mai since 2015 I have spent on Stones tour - Los Angeles 2015, Dublin 2018 and Chicago 2019. Then two years now with pandemic style 17. mai. Next year I hope there will be a normal 17. mai celebration!

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 17, 2021 16:34

bv
I am so happy to be at home for this 17. mai celebration, even if the pandemic is making it hard to celebrate like we use to do, normally with school children parading the streets, and school brass bands performing in the parades, with our flag in red, white and blue colors, as the first green leaves are showing up on the trees, following a long winter.

Today has been wet wet wet, lots of rain in the south, while the west and north of Norway has been having great sunshine. We were out this morning before 10am where I live in Asker, as the crown prince family live here, and they had a pop-up surprise drive by appearance in their A-3 car. Unfortunately the rain prevented an appearance with their cabriolet, like they did last year in this area.

We do have grandchildren in one of the local school brass bands, and they have been parading in the rain all day. Three out of seven 17. mai since 2015 Ijavascript:editor_tools_handle_smiley() have spent on Stones tour - Los Angeles 2015, Dublin 2018 and Chicago 2019. Then two years now with pandemic style 17. mai. Next year I hope there will be a normal 17. mai celebration!

BV, the weather looks like Seattle! If you don't get your "normal" celebration next year I hope it is because you are at a Stones show. I hope you & your family have the best day possible today. smileys with beer

Date: May 17, 2021 17:03

Yes. Our weather is very much like Seattle. Coastal weather. By 17. mai next year I am pretty sure I have seen The Rolling Stones live in USA already, and I am happy with rehearsals or touring 17. mai next year, may be in Europe!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: May 17, 2021 17:08

Gratulerer med dagen!
After a breakfast with my mother I`m back home and spending the rest of the day in front of my stereo, looking at the "rain fall down" outside.
Nice day her in Norway.

Per Arne

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: May 17, 2021 17:10

Per-Arne
Gratulerer med dagen!
After a breakfast with my mother I`m back home and spending the rest of the day in front of my stereo, looking at the "rain fall down" outside.
Nice day here in Norway.

Per Arne

Date: May 17, 2021 17:12

The picture below is our normal non-corona 17. mai celebration. This is how it will look like next year!

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-17 17:18 by bv.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 17, 2021 17:57

To all our Norwegian friends have a really great day even though the weather could be a lot better.

I know you will all make the most of the day in your beautiful country.smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 17, 2021 21:35

Gratulerer med dagen, lillebror! I have put on my lusekofte and treated myself with an extra spoon of liver cod oil. Anyone for a reunion?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 18, 2021 01:41

Happy your day in Norway. So, for a few of us from elsewhere, would you fill us in what this celebration is all about? Outside of a Norwegian great uncle (my great aunt's 5th husband...don't ask), most of what I know about Norway comes from assorted readings; the Vikings movie with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis (terrible movie); hearing about lutefisk on the PBS Lydia's Kitchen cooking show; references to Norway on the Shetland television show; what has appeared here; etc. Thanks.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 18, 2021 03:51

dmay
Happy your day in Norway. So, for a few of us from elsewhere, would you fill us in what this celebration is all about? Outside of a Norwegian great uncle (my great aunt's 5th husband...don't ask), most of what I know about Norway comes from assorted readings; the Vikings movie with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis (terrible movie); hearing about lutefisk on the PBS Lydia's Kitchen cooking show; references to Norway on the Shetland television show; what has appeared here; etc. Thanks.

Well, I`ll give it a try. The normally very informal Norwegians devoid of any pomp and circumstances be it behaviour, dress code, or architecture for that matter, suddenly become very tradition-concious at this day. Meself, I often take a walk in the woods. To my surprise, I saw that even there, at a log cabin kind of restaurant far away from the town centre, people were carrying small sticks with a flag at their back. On top of that, one guy was wearing a tye, plus a Tyrolean hat, while the other guy was sporting a Scottish skirt with knee-high stockings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-18 03:54 by noughties.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home