Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
In which year did Mick's voice sound best?
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 16, 2021 15:56

Even at 77, Mick's vocals still sound absolutely amazing.

They've always sounded amazing.

But did Mick's vocals "peak" at some point, and if so, when? Or are they peaking now?

Drew

Re: In which year did Mick's voice sound best?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 16, 2021 15:59

1983 Undercover of the Night

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 16, 2021 16:19

Sir Michael has never been a great singer from a technical point of view. His voice is distinctive and easily recognizable though. Which is, I guess, what counts in rock music.
His voice went bad somewhere in the late 90s though. Dropped an octave or two and became more nasal. That was when canceled shows began to be more common.
On recordings, and live, he has learned to handle this. Up to a point at least.

Date: May 16, 2021 17:00

Late 70s. The singing on TY is superb. I also agree with Treacle about Undercover Of The Night.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: May 16, 2021 17:04

To my ears it's not so much when did it peak so much as when did it become too overbearing on albums, in the 60s 70s early 80s it meshed with the music, then it started to stand out from the music.

As for live performances i loved it right up to and including the 81' 82' tour, loved that growl, it might have been a bit battered on some tours but he always gave it all he had and belted it out.

Since 89' Mick doesn't have the luxury of youth and going full throttle, he used a much more reserved professional approach, and thats understandable, it must last the duration of the tour or shows would have to be cancelled. Dare i say it but Micks voice has been a concern on recent tours, possibly the reason we only get 15 dates per year.

But Basically his voice was at its peak in records in the 60s no doubt about it.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 16, 2021 17:07

Maybe I was lucky, but when I heard the Stones live in 1998 and 1999, each time Mick Jagger's voice was great, same goes for Licks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-16 17:09 by windmelody.

Date: May 16, 2021 17:15

DandelionPowderman
Late 70s. The singing on TY is superb. I also agree with Treacle about Undercover Of The Night.

Fantastic on record in 81' would you say he managed anything close to producing those vocals on the tour that followed TY ?

Date: May 16, 2021 17:26

Apart from singing out of tune or just unrelated shouting/screaming I always liked his voice.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: May 16, 2021 18:00

Rocktiludrop
To my ears it's not so much when did it peak so much as when did it become too overbearing on albums, in the 60s 70s early 80s it meshed with the music, then it started to stand out from the music.

Somebody on this forum once observed that his voice has a timbre that makes it audible even if it's low in the mix. That quality served the Stones' recordings well until the more modern era, when he seems to have decided he prefers to be right up front and center. I agree that's too much, precisely because his voice stands out anyway.

Anyway, I vote for the late 60s/early 70s.

Date: May 16, 2021 18:28

Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman

Fantastic on record in 81' would you say he managed anything close to producing those vocals on the tour that followed TY ?

Yes and no. Songs like Waiting On A Friend and Black Limousine sound better live. Start Me Up, Hang Fire and Neighbours are better on record.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 16, 2021 18:35

My opinion
Best on records: 1968-1976
Best live: 1971-1973

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 16, 2021 18:37

windmelody
Maybe I was lucky, but when I heard the Stones live in 1998 and 1999, each time Mick Jagger's voice was great, same goes for Licks.

good? yes
But: too much controlled. In the seventies he was miles better - rough and dangerous

Date: May 16, 2021 18:51

DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman

Yes and no. Songs like Waiting On A Friend and Black Limousine sound better live. Start Me Up, Hang Fire and Neighbours are better on record.

Yes when you draw that to my attention, definitely agree, he still does great job on the ballads up to this day, especially on Angie, Wild Horses, As Years To By, Ruby Tuesday etc.

He doesn't even attempt to sing SMU anything like the Single.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-16 18:53 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: May 16, 2021 18:58

blivet
Rocktiludrop

Somebody on this forum once observed that his voice has a timbre that makes it audible even if it's low in the mix. That quality served the Stones' recordings well until the more modern era, when he seems to have decided he prefers to be right up front and center. I agree that's too much, precisely because his voice stands out anyway.

Anyway, I vote for the late 60s/early 70s.

Loved the days when he harmonised with Keith, Keith seemed to give Micks vocals a bit of depth, visa versa for Keith too.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 16, 2021 18:58

On Black and Blue and Tattoo You

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 16, 2021 19:31

Posted by: forest73 ()
Date: May 16, 2021 19:38

Rocks off > exile (studio)

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: May 16, 2021 20:01

When I hear what he does with his voice in the SFTD, I consider it was his best era. But then I listen to Angie and Anybody Seen My Baby...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 16, 2021 20:47

In summation, from 1962 until present.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 16, 2021 22:50

KRiffhard
On Black and Blue and Tattoo You

Yes, when he had the falsetto working right - "Worried About You", for example.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 16, 2021 22:59

hey yeah just like MKjan says ...

From 1962 right up to the present .... lurv ya mick ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 16, 2021 23:10

1968-Sympanthy,JjFlash, No Expectations,Stray Cat Blues, Salt of the Earth,Street Fighting Man, You Can’t Always Get What You Want

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 17, 2021 00:53

1966-1974, then had ups and downs until about 2014, then even more downhill after his heart surgery.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2021 02:24

mosthigh
1966-1974, then had ups and downs until about 2014, then even more downhill after his heart surgery.

maybe he just doesn't have his heart in it anymore?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 17, 2021 02:51

I think the peak was '71. His voice had matured at that point but was still raw. Some wonderful stuff though as his singing has evolved over the ensuing decades.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-17 02:52 by ryanpow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 17, 2021 08:10

Between EMOTIONAL RESUCE and UNDERCOVER he really hit something. The work he did on the vocals for TATTOO YOU are incredible, and then he was even better on U. What he did with Dance, She's So Cold and pretty much the rest of ER is really good. That is a fantastic era for him regarding his vocal qualities.

His work on LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS is exceptional as well and, really, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: May 17, 2021 09:53

I think ‘Sway’ is right up there as one of his best vocal performances...

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 17, 2021 10:09

Technically his vocals in recent years were the best. He never sung as tension-free and natural as he does now. Now - if tension-free and natural is the sound you want to hear on rock'n'roll songs is another thing but it certainly helps him to keep touring at this stage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 17, 2021 10:26

Livin In a Ghost Town vocals are pretty damn good ..... Lurv ya Mick

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 17, 2021 11:58

A few highlights for me:

That's How Strong My Love Is - best ever soul vocal
Midnight Rambler - best ever rock vocal
Torn And Frayed - best ever country vocal
Around And Around - best ever rock'n'roll vocal.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home