Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees for 2021
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 12, 2021 15:47

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees on Wednesday, marking the most diverse group by musical genre in the organization's history.
To be eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination.

Performer Category:
· Foo Fighters
· The Go-Go's
· JAY-Z
· Carole King
· Todd Rundgren
· Tina Turner

The 36th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place on Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 8 p.m. ET at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio.
[www.cnn.com]

Re: Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees for 2021
Date: May 12, 2021 15:52

Should change this to Music Hall Of Fame, but of the nominees I would think Tina Turner (solo) should be a lock, along with Carole King this year.

Would also be nice to see Foo Fighters get in on first ballot.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 12, 2021 16:15

Why not the real stuff like Motorhead

Date: May 12, 2021 16:27

Tina, Todd and Carol all deserve this.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 12, 2021 16:44

How is Tina Turner in the same inductee class as Jay-Z and The Foo Fighters?

Like the Go-Go's stuff but did they really have enough material to be Hall of Fame worthy? yet, Iron Maiden who still puts out new material and tours don't make the cut.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 12, 2021 17:09

MisterDDDD
Should change this to Music Hall Of Fame, but of the nominees I would think Tina Turner (solo) should be a lock, along with Carole King this year.

Nominees were previously announced. Those acts - and the others listed - are in.

[www.rockhall.com]

Date: May 12, 2021 17:11

Lol.. Inductees of course.

Threw me with the induction ceremony being in October.

Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: May 12, 2021 17:18

I think a sad travesty is that The J. Geils Band isn't in the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame. Peter Wolf is one of the best frontmen ever, him and Mick are neck and neck.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 12, 2021 17:40

All great people that are going to be inducted but it has become the hall of very good or adjacent rather than who truly belong, IMO. I guess thats just my opinion as is everyone else's but they have been scrapping for awhile now.

· Foo Fighters - who's rushing them in? And I'm a huge fan of theirs, but they don't deserve it at all IMO. Nirvana is a band that changed things. Foo Fighters are very fun, and had some great albums, but they are going in because Dave Grohl is a star, not because they have done anything to add to rock music's legacy.

· The Go-Go's - to me would be in a hall of very good. Nothing against them, We Got The Beat and Vacation are great songs, but far from even being the Runaways to me. They certainly wouldn't make my ballot over other deserving people like New York Dolls, J Geils Band, Harry Nilsson, etc.

· JAY-Z - I get it that Jay Z is the biggest thing in rap, or at least was, but I don't think he belongs in a Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. That's one of those pandering selections to get this place to appeal to a broader group of people, in which case just make the change already that and call it the music Hall Of Fame. If you wanna call it Rock though, it should be specific to that. Again, like the guy too, absolutely nothing against him, but by most standards he wouldn't fit and it feels like a sore thumb than a true desire to include him.

· Carole King - Of course have no problem with Carole, she's a legend. What I have a problem with is that she was inducted decades ago with I believe Gerry Goffin, so does she really need it twice? I won't put up much of an argument cause again, Carole is amazing. Just seems like they screwed it up the first time.

· Todd Rundgren - absolutely deserving, for the same reason Jeff Lynne really was over ELO IMO. Todd has done EVERYTHING in rock. He's had great records on his own, he's produced a million classics, he's been a major part of many life changing albums in this genre. His style is unmatched in guitar playing and producing and he absolutely deserves to be inducted for his body of work.

· Tina Turner - I'd have no problem with her just being in with Ike, but she's had a glowing solo career, I can totally see her merit moreso than other solo people that have been in in addition to their bands. I guess I didn't care much about her stuff past the Ike and Tina days, but as a performer and woman in rock, she's an absolute legend. Fine with any honor she gets.

So I see 3 deserving, 2 if you exclude Carole who is already in. Todd's the only real standout in my mind. The rest are just there to pique my interest. Otherwise, each year's selection kinda gets poorer, and the snubs have gotten more and more personal each year. Absurd who they've been letting in and keeping out.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2021 17:50

A fine list no doubt...echoing what others have already opined, which is so many more deserving still waiting. It really weakens the whole honour.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 12, 2021 17:53

bye bye johnny
MisterDDDD

Nominees were previously announced. Those acts - and the others listed - are in.

[www.rockhall.com]

The Charley Patton who's been dead for like a 100 years?

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 12, 2021 18:24

frtylicks
I think a sad travesty is that The J. Geils Band isn't in the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame. Peter Wolf is one of the best frontmen ever

Exactly. Again, no disrespect to the Go-Go's but before J. Geiles?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 12, 2021 18:33

Yep, when I think “rock and roll”, the first one to come to mind is Jay Z.

The whole enterprise is a joke.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 12, 2021 19:18

RollingFreak
All great people that are going to be inducted but it has become the hall of very good or adjacent rather than who truly belong, IMO. I guess thats just my opinion as is everyone else's but they have been scrapping for awhile now.

· Foo Fighters - who's rushing them in? And I'm a huge fan of theirs, but they don't deserve it at all IMO. Nirvana is a band that changed things. Foo Fighters are very fun, and had some great albums, but they are going in because Dave Grohl is a star, not because they have done anything to add to rock music's legacy.

· The Go-Go's - to me would be in a hall of very good. Nothing against them, We Got The Beat and Vacation are great songs, but far from even being the Runaways to me. They certainly wouldn't make my ballot over other deserving people like New York Dolls, J Geils Band, Harry Nilsson, etc.

· JAY-Z - I get it that Jay Z is the biggest thing in rap, or at least was, but I don't think he belongs in a Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. That's one of those pandering selections to get this place to appeal to a broader group of people, in which case just make the change already that and call it the music Hall Of Fame. If you wanna call it Rock though, it should be specific to that. Again, like the guy too, absolutely nothing against him, but by most standards he wouldn't fit and it feels like a sore thumb than a true desire to include him.

· Carole King - Of course have no problem with Carole, she's a legend. What I have a problem with is that she was inducted decades ago with I believe Gerry Goffin, so does she really need it twice? I won't put up much of an argument cause again, Carole is amazing. Just seems like they screwed it up the first time.

· Todd Rundgren - absolutely deserving, for the same reason Jeff Lynne really was over ELO IMO. Todd has done EVERYTHING in rock. He's had great records on his own, he's produced a million classics, he's been a major part of many life changing albums in this genre. His style is unmatched in guitar playing and producing and he absolutely deserves to be inducted for his body of work.

· Tina Turner - I'd have no problem with her just being in with Ike, but she's had a glowing solo career, I can totally see her merit moreso than other solo people that have been in in addition to their bands. I guess I didn't care much about her stuff past the Ike and Tina days, but as a performer and woman in rock, she's an absolute legend. Fine with any honor she gets.

So I see 3 deserving, 2 if you exclude Carole who is already in. Todd's the only real standout in my mind. The rest are just there to pique my interest. Otherwise, each year's selection kinda gets poorer, and the snubs have gotten more and more personal each year. Absurd who they've been letting in and keeping out.

I agree with your post.

Interesting how they've also wedged in serial-nominees LL Cool J and Kraftwerk by putting them in a different category.

Glad to see that someone finally woke up and got BILLY PRESTON in there.

Apart from his own classic hits, look at his status as a valued sideman: Who else got label credit on a Beatles single, or had the Rolling Stones as a backup band while he performed a set of his solo songs during their shows?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 12, 2021 19:25

loog droog
RollingFreak

I agree with your post.

Interesting how they've also wedged in serial-nominees LL Cool J and Kraftwerk by putting them in a different category.

Glad to see that someone finally woke up and got BILLY PRESTON in there.

Apart from his own classic hits, look at his status as a valued sideman: Who else got label credit on a Beatles single, or had the Rolling Stones as a backup band while he performed a set of his solo songs during their shows?

thumbs upthumbs up!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 12, 2021 19:29

Pleasantly surprised to see Randy Rhoads being inducted! For those that don't know, he was Ozzy's guitarist on the first two Blizzard of Oz albums. I still remember hearing the news on the radio that he passed away in early 82 in a senseless plane crash, pilot was flying the cessna too close to the ground.
Like others have mentioned, what does Jay Z have to do with rock? Might as well change it to Music Hall of Fame. If there was a Rap Hall of Fame, would AC/DC etc. get inducted?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 12, 2021 19:46

Boomer’s wet dream

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 12, 2021 20:05

DaveG
Yep, when I think “rock and roll”, the first one to come to mind is Jay Z.

The whole enterprise is a joke.

It's been a joke for years now, and hardly worth discussing.
While some on the list might deserve it, that doesn't excuse the inclusion of those who don't deserve it.

Jay Z is in while the J.Geils Band and Jethro Tull are not?
The Foo Fighters are in while the J.Geils Band and Jethro Tull are not?
Something's wrong with that ridiculous picture, and they've lost all credibility because of it.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 12, 2021 21:17

Jay-Z is not rock, not roll. This is not the hip hop hall of fame. At least Run DMC did a rock song with Aerosmith.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 12, 2021 21:22

5 out of 6 are pretty good !

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 12, 2021 21:28

Charley Patton sure took a long long while...

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: May 12, 2021 21:52

The R n R Hall of Fame is an embarrassment. I like how the word "diverse" was prominent in the first paragraph, but not "they could rock the house down". Just sad. Glad I have avoided giving this shithole a penny on my Cleveland trips.

They have jumped the shark and are basically irrelevant other than in name and licensing crap.

Date: May 12, 2021 22:08

timmyj3
The R n R Hall of Fame is an embarrassment. I like how the word "diverse" was prominent in the first paragraph, but not "they could rock the house down". Just sad. Glad I have avoided giving this shithole a penny on my Cleveland trips.

They have jumped the shark and are basically irrelevant other than in name and licensing crap.

The word "diverse" in white America is only used prominently when white people in charge are being forced to use it lol.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: May 12, 2021 22:12

Congratulations
to

KRAFTWERK,
TINA TURNER,
JAY-Z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-12 22:20 by satisfaction2.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 13, 2021 03:25

The Go Go’s were the first all female band to top the US charts with an album written entirely by the band. I think they have their place, they’ve been around since the LA punk scene.
Meh to the rest and it’s evidently not the ROCK n roll hall of fame, it’s just a bunch of artists some @#$%& think are worthy.
I like how the sex pistols dealt with it, I hope Motorhead or the MC5 will do the same when (if) the time comes.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2021 03:45

Come on. The pool was bound to get thin. The Go Gos, Todd Rundgren, and Jay Z in before Jethro Tull? J. Geils? Joe Cocker? Warren Zevon? It's getting stupid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2021 04:03

Ozzy said this in regards to Black Sabbath in 1999:

“Just take our name off the list. Save the ink. Forget about us. The nomination is meaningless, because it’s not voted on by the fans.
It’s voted on by the ‘supposed’ elite of the Industry and the media, who’ve never bought an album or concert ticket in their lives,
so their vote is totally irrelevant to me. Let’s face it, Black Sabbath have never been media darlings. We’re a people’s band and that suits us just fine.”

Yet when Black Sabbath was inducted in 2006, he had a change of heart saying:

“I realised I don’t have the right to speak for Black Sabbath. All I am is the singer. If we’d all sat around a table and talk about it,
that would’ve been okay, but I didn’t have the right to say that, and I truly apologise.”

Date: May 13, 2021 04:58

24FPS
Come on. The pool was bound to get thin. The Go Gos, Todd Rundgren, and Jay Z in before Jethro Tull? J. Geils? Joe Cocker? Warren Zevon? It's getting stupid.

Its just getting personal some they literally never consider here.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 13, 2021 05:43

Love the Go-Go’s!!!! Well deserved!!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 13, 2021 09:04

Considering that Weezer (Blue Album) and their sophomore effort, Pinkerton, are regarded as alt-rock classics, I’m a little surprised that Weezer haven’t been nominated as of yet. Perhaps, for the panel, their subsequent inconsistency let’s them down too much. There certainly doesn’t appear to be many fans of them, here! I like the Foo Fighters a fair bit, yet they don’t have a top-ranking, game-shifting album, such as ‘Blue’ or Pinkerton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-13 09:07 by Big Al.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home