Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: A new ABBA album in 2021
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 3, 2021 13:18

Irix
Abbatars (digital avatars):

Mick will certainly be interested in it .... like in the ABBA-Museum in 2014 - [iorr.org] .

You must have read my mind, Irix winking smiley
I was thinking the same thing. Mick got quite some inspiration from the ABBA museum (we visited it in 2014 after the Rolling Stones, 1 July concert in Stockholm) and incorporated it in Exhibitionism / Unzipped.
One day we (or our children and grandchildren) may end up with hologram images of the Rolling Stones. In black and white with Brian, glitter style with Mick Taylor, etc. The times, they are a changing ...cool smiley
ABBA was not original in this respect, because the late great Elvis Presley was ahead of them, for instance.
One day all our favorite stars will travel across the Universe to those other stars as holograms. Timeless cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 3, 2021 13:55

Big Al
matxil

Whenever people tell me "the Beatles were better" when I say I am a Rolling Stones fan, I say that one shouldn't compare the Stones with the Beatles, they do different things. The Beatles were a pop band and as such should be compared to ABBA. So, I mention them in the same sentence quite often.

I totally disagree. The Stones and the Beatles' music and wider background have far more in common, than the Beatles' do with ABBA. ABBA were pure Euro-pop; the Beatles were not. The Stones had deeper blues-roots than the Beatles, yet they were both lovers and and interpreters of American rock 'n roll and rhythm-and-blues.

Well, I say these things partly to annoy people who insist on comparing Beatles and Stones, so there's a large grain of salt in my comment. Still, the claim to fame of the Beatles is not that they were inspired by American rock n roll - there were many bands like that and most of them got nowhere - but that Lennon and McCartney were excellent and original songwriters. That, at least they have in common with those guys from ABBA.
Jagger/Richards have written a number of good pop songs too, but their greatest hits are not so much based on clever compositions, melodies, harmonies, etc... but on groove, sound, rhythm and attitude.
ABBA could have written an euro-pop version of Yesterday and the Beatles could have done The Winner Takes It All in a different arrangement, but both would have been incapable to do Midnight Rambler.
Still, a big grain of salt in all of this.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 3, 2021 14:24

MisterDDDD
I say this with no disrespect intended, but I don't believe I've ever personally known anyone who was an ABBA fan, myself included.
Realize they exist obv, but always thought they were mostly from their home country and/or bubble gum pop type fans.

Good on 'em though smileys with beer ...never did get the popularity with them.
Suppose I never really.... Took A Chance ..on 'em to be fair winking smiley

Bloody HUGE in Australia. EVERYONE here liked them in their heyday. Well, almost everyone…I was never enamoured by them, but do recognise their pop sensibility. Much like The Beatles…

Rod

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 3, 2021 14:30

matxil

Well, I say these things partly to annoy people who insist on comparing Beatles and Stones, so there's a large grain of salt in my comment. Still, the claim to fame of the Beatles is not that they were inspired by American rock n roll - there were many bands like that and most of them got nowhere - but that Lennon and McCartney were excellent and original songwriters. That, at least they have in common with those guys from ABBA.
Jagger/Richards have written a number of good pop songs too, but their greatest hits are not so much based on clever compositions, melodies, harmonies, etc... but on groove, sound, rhythm and attitude.
ABBA could have written an euro-pop version of Yesterday and the Beatles could have done The Winner Takes It All in a different arrangement, but both would have been incapable to do Midnight Rambler.
Still, a big grain of salt in all of this.

All valid points thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 3, 2021 16:10

Big Al
matxil

Whenever people tell me "the Beatles were better" when I say I am a Rolling Stones fan, I say that one shouldn't compare the Stones with the Beatles, they do different things. The Beatles were a pop band and as such should be compared to ABBA. So, I mention them in the same sentence quite often.

I totally disagree. The Stones and the Beatles' music and wider background have far more in common, than the Beatles' do with ABBA. ABBA were pure Euro-pop; the Beatles were not. The Stones had deeper blues-roots than the Beatles, yet they were both lovers and and interpreters of American rock 'n roll and rhythm-and-blues.

thumbs up

The Beatles were far more complex, rockier, and grittier than a Euro- pop band ala Abba.
There might be some McCartney solo tunes that veer towards the Abba vibe (I can hear Abba doing Silly Love Songs for example), but for the most part the Beatles and Abba were miles apart.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: September 3, 2021 16:22

How can a stonesfan interested in ABBA?

Date: September 3, 2021 16:27

wupperstein

I just like great pop music. ABBA are probably the most accomplished pop-act of all time: flawless melodies, production and musicianship. BUT... I do 'get' your point. winking smiley

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: September 3, 2021 17:51

wupperstein

I'm a music fan and like lots of different genres. The Stones probably are the number one for me, but I would be really unhappy if I only had to listen to the Stones and other classic rock music. I always liked Abba, the compositions are so clever and has all that pop music is all about.
I also like Daft Punk, Madonna, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Donna Summer.... just to name a few. Listening and liking other genres makes your musical life so much richer. You should give it a try.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 3, 2021 20:25

wupperstein

You could post this in the sixties when you were a Stones fan you were not allowed to like the Beatles or visa versa

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 4, 2021 00:52

Money, money, money

Date: September 5, 2021 01:21

Mamma Mia. The sexiest buttocks I have ever seen. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2021 02:20

Bloody HUGE in Australia. EVERYONE here liked them in their heyday.

Rod

Yeah can remember all that .....
But when Malcolm Fraser said everyone
should go and see them I was out the gate doin 88 .......

ROCKMAN

OT: ABBA reunite for Voyage, first new album in 40 years
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 2, 2021 21:22

" Swedish hitmakers to release album of brand new material in November,
and digital avatars will appear in London concert residency in 2022." (The Guardian).

"One of the most anticipated comebacks in pop culture has finally come to pass: the return of Abba.
Forty years after the bitter songs written in the wake of two band divorces for their last album,
1981’s The Visitors, the Swedish pop quartet have reunited for Voyage, an album of brand new
songs that will be released on 5 November – including, they say, a Christmas song. Two tracks
from it, the stately and epic ballad I Still Have Faith in You and the shimmying Don’t Shut Me Down,
are out now." (The Guardian)

ABBA "I Still Have Faith In You"

Link: [www.theguardian.com]

Re: OT: ABBA reunite for Voyage, first new album in 40 years
Date: September 2, 2021 21:24

Surprisingly high quality tunes, after all these years.

Re: OT: ABBA reunite for Voyage, first new album in 40 years
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 2, 2021 21:45

The Stones rolling out .... ABBA rolls in. winking smiley

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 13, 2021 22:58

Don't Shut Me Down enters at #9 on the UK Top 40 and I Still Have Faith in You at #14!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 13, 2021 23:10

Germany: 'I Still Have Faith In You' #3 and 'Don't Shut Me Down' #5 - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] - (10-Sep-2021).

Date: September 14, 2021 00:25

Beam --->---------------------me--->-----------------------up--->--------------------------Scotty

Date: September 14, 2021 07:33

Irix
Germany: 'I Still Have Faith In You' #3 and 'Don't Shut Me Down' #5 - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] - (10-Sep-2021).

#14 and #9 on the U.K. Top 40, respectively. Considering the nature of streaming and the genres that do particularly well, that’s pretty darn good, I’d say thumbs up

Date: September 14, 2021 07:35

NilsHolgersson
Don't Shut Me Down enters at #9 on the UK Top 40 and I Still Have Faith in You at #14!

My apologises! You beat me to it!

Date: September 14, 2021 18:21

The songs kind of grows on you. It takes a couple of listenings to appreciate them. When I grew up you weren't supposed to listen to ABBA. They were called "commercial" and they didn't sing in Swedish.
At that time there was a left wave in Sweden and the progressive left kind of dictated what was acceptable or not. And ABBA was not acceptable.
There you go. Today everything is for sale and you get arrested if you don't worship Mammon...

Date: September 16, 2021 18:52

Already cover versions out there on the net. I like this one. For her good mood and courage. Emilia Sjöholm is her name.

Don't Shut Me Down

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 16, 2021 19:04

I didn't think they took time to grow on me. They weren't my favorites but hey, on first listen, they sounded exactly like Abba lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-16 19:04 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 16, 2021 21:58

Irix
Abbatars (digital avatars):

Mick will certainly be interested in it .... like in the ABBA-Museum in 2014 - [iorr.org] .

Kinda Kraftwerk-style concerts? Put four mannikins on stage and go for dinner while the conceert is going on?

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: September 16, 2021 22:42

wupperstein

easily!

or if you want an answer thats a letter longer:

Agnetha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-16 22:43 by falo01.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 16, 2021 22:52

I have always said that The Beatles were the best of any pre-ABBA bands. We all love to sing those beautiful, catchy sing-a-long pop tunes, don't we? No one can hate them.

- Doxa

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 16, 2021 23:07

Doxa
I have always said that The Beatles were the best of any pre-ABBA bands. We all love to sing those beautiful, catchy sing-a-long pop tunes, don't we? No one can hate them.

- Doxa
As a kid i sure hated abba

Date: September 16, 2021 23:23

Hate or not - when was the last time our band (RS) landed a new single on UK Top Ten first week of release?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 16, 2021 23:40

Congrats to ABBA. thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 16, 2021 23:56

Stoneage
Hate or not - when was the last time our band (RS) landed a new single on UK Top Ten first week of release?

And that's the only thing that matters, right?

Some people here always seem to find a way to put down the Stones.

If one is happy about the great success of some oldie's Swedish disco band in today's pop charts, what a @#$%& that has to do with The Rolling Stones? Now the Stones mean a shit since ABBA made top ten in some bloody chart?

Oh jeez...

We just lost Charlie Watts and people are coming with that shit.

Bitch, bitch, bitch... There always must be a new way to bitch about the Stones... Just wait a litte bit.. Someone out there is doing something we can once again put down the Stones..

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-17 00:28 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home