Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: A new ABBA album in 2021
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 11, 2021 21:13

VoodooLounge13
Irix
VoodooLounge13

I didn't realize they were all still alive. I had thought one of them committed suicide?

Why should they? "In 2000, ABBA was reported to have turned down an offer of approximately one billion US dollars to do a reunion tour consisting of 100 concerts." - [www.MTV.com] , [en.Wikipedia.org] .

DAMN! I don't know. Trying to recall where I had heard that from.

Those "one billion US dollars" offers have been around. Wasn't that the case with Led Zeppelin? And how about the Rolling Stones? Didn't they kick out Michael Cole for such an insulting offer? "You think you can slave us and rip off the fans?"
grinning smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: May 11, 2021 23:22

I have worked in the music industry for more than 20 years now. The 1 Billion dollars for a reunion tour was genuinely offered to Led Zeppelin. In the end they did the 2007 gig for nothing! Well nothing until they released the live album five years later....

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 12, 2021 00:29

mr_c_ox
I have worked in the music industry for more than 20 years now. The 1 Billion dollars for a reunion tour was genuinely offered to Led Zeppelin. In the end they did the 2007 gig for nothing! Well nothing until they released the live album five years later....

What year were they offered that? Same time as the 2007 gig? How many shows would need to be scheduled to recoup that amount of cash?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-12 00:30 by Paddy.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 12, 2021 05:11

Stoneage
VoodooLounge13
I didn't realize they were all still alive. I had thought one of them committed suicide?

It's careless to go out with information like that without checking the facts first. All the four original members are alive and well.

Indeed. I’m quite happy to be wrong! I’ve enjoyed their music immensely over the years. Both volumes of their greatest hits get regular spin in one of my CD changers.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 2, 2021 21:20

ABBA reunite for Voyage, first new album in 40 years - [www.TheGuardian.com] , [www.BBC.com] , [www.uDiscoverMusic.com] :

[www.YouTube.com]

[www.YouTube.com]

[www.YouTube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-02 22:50 by Irix.

Date: September 2, 2021 21:55

ABBA brand new Studio-Album Voyage out 5-Nov-2021 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] :

Tracklist:

1. I Still Have Faith In You
2. When You Danced With Me
3. Little Things
4. Don't Shut Me Down
5. Just A Notion
6. I Can Be That Woman
7. Keep An Eye On Dan
8. Bumble Bee
9. No Doubt About It
10. Ode To Freedom

Date: September 2, 2021 22:30

Abbatars (digital avatars):

Mick will certainly be interested in it .... like in the ABBA-Museum in 2014 - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 2, 2021 22:36

Paddy
I genuinely like a lot of ABBA tunes, probably the best constructed pop songs by a band ever. Not a team of writers or any of that b ollocks.

The second best, after the Beatles, but yes, I admire their songwriting craft too, and also the combination of the two women's voices works very well.

Date: September 2, 2021 22:37

TheflyingDutchman
The Stones with ABBA overdubs; just press the buttons :spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[sowndhaus.audio]

thumbs up

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 2, 2021 22:40

Pretty spectaculair I must say. I Still Have Faith In You i heard just now. Good song typical ABBA. Quality, even though I am not a fan of course but it is great news for the fans and good for the radioplaylist . Quality and crafted popsongs again.

Postive news and good vibes.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 2, 2021 23:05

Money, Money, Money.......

I've never been excited about reunions I'd rather remember them how they were.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 2, 2021 23:24

Biggest entertainment news about something to be really happy about, (for anyone who likes Abba) for quite some time. thumbs up

BBC news channel has been full of it for the last few hours.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Abba fans all over the world will be happy about the latest news, including me. smileys with beer

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 2, 2021 23:57

Date: September 3, 2021 00:00

NICOS

I've never been excited about reunions I'd rather remember them how they were.

You can: from Pos. 3:40 they're their younger selves as Abbatars (digital avatars) - [www.YouTube.com] .

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 3, 2021 01:40

Does anybody know if the interview with Mick Jagger in like 1978 or 1980 or 1982 or something with a Swedish journalist where he's asked what he thinks about ABBA is still online somewhere? I can't find it. Mick's like: What the hell am I gonna say about ABBA? "I'm sure they're nice people.."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 3, 2021 02:57

Thankful to hear some new ABBA. thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 3, 2021 03:05

I say this with no disrespect intended, but I don't believe I've ever personally known anyone who was an ABBA fan, myself included.
Realize they exist obv, but always thought they were mostly from their home country and/or bubble gum pop type fans.

Good on 'em though smileys with beer ...never did get the popularity with them.
Suppose I never really.... Took A Chance ..on 'em to be fair winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 3, 2021 03:07

NilsHolgersson
Does anybody know if the interview with Mick Jagger in like 1978 or 1980 or 1982 or something with a Swedish journalist where he's asked what he thinks about ABBA is still online somewhere? I can't find it. Mick's like: What the hell am I gonna say about ABBA? "I'm sure they're nice people.."

Lol smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 3, 2021 03:11

matxil
Paddy
I genuinely like a lot of ABBA tunes, probably the best constructed pop songs by a band ever. Not a team of writers or any of that b ollocks.

The second best, after the Beatles, but yes, I admire their songwriting craft too, and also the combination of the two women's voices works very well.

Yes Abba is great, but I've never seen Abba and the Beatles mentioned in the same sentence before!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 3, 2021 03:50

MisterDDDD

I say this with no disrespect intended, but I don't believe I've ever personally known anyone who was an ABBA fan, myself included.
Realize they exist obv, but always thought they were mostly from their home country and/or bubble gum pop type fans.

Same here. I can't think of anything they've ever done that rises to the level of being even a guilty pleasure.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 3, 2021 06:03

MisterDDDD

I seriously think I have an 8 track of their "Arrival" album in my basement!

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: September 3, 2021 06:35

RollingFreak
makemeburnthecandle
I predict an eventual reunion tour with ludicrous tickets prices.
If it happens, it'll be with holograms, not the real people. At this point, Abba doesn't hate each other like they'd did but they've flat out said they don't believe they'll ever get on stage for a full scale tour again, which completely makes sense given their age. So at this point, there's no way they suddenly have a change of heart and succumb. If they wanted to, it would have had to at least been 10 years ago, and the offers have been there forever. They hated each other long enough to the point that by the time they didn't, they thought they were too old to live up to their legacy. Sad, cause I would never go see their holograms, but would adore seeing an aged Abba, if they could still sing.

I don't think the members of ABBA ever hated each other. Benny and Bjorn continued to work together, first on the "Chess" musical then "Mamma Mia." And the women never seemed to have any public animosity towards each other either. I think they just went their own separate ways after the group broke up and met occasionally to discuss business or make a rare public appearance. The women (particularly Agnetha) did not enjoy touring and they all had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their life so there was no incentive to regroup and tour despite the outrageous offers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-03 07:53 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2021 07:35

Hairball
matxil
Paddy

Yes Abba is great, but I've never seen Abba and the Beatles mentioned in the same sentence before!

I saw some documentary a few years ago that had some sort of software do an an analysis of popular music based on a number of criteria and Mamma Mia was determined to be the best pop song of all time. I think there were several ABBA songs in the top 10 and a couple of Beatles tunes too.

It was probably an ABBA documentary so conveniently self serving, though I didn't disagree with the outcome.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 3, 2021 08:51

NilsHolgersson

First thing I noticed when I stepped into the ABBA museum in Stockholm: so this is where Jagger got all of his ideas for Exhibitionism.
Later I saw a photo of him entering (or leaving) the ABBA museum.

Date: September 3, 2021 10:38

Hairball
matxil
Paddy

Whenever people tell me "the Beatles were better" when I say I am a Rolling Stones fan, I say that one shouldn't compare the Stones with the Beatles, they do different things. The Beatles were a pop band and as such should be compared to ABBA. So, I mention them in the same sentence quite often.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 3, 2021 11:10

MisterDDDD

They're absolutely huge here, in the U.K., where ABBA GOLD is the second biggest-selling album of all time. Apparently, outside of their homeland, the U.K. was their main focus for obtaining success: it worked.

I really do love all their hits; although I must confess - as with Queen - I could go an eternity without hearing some of them again!

Date: September 3, 2021 11:16

matxil

Whenever people tell me "the Beatles were better" when I say I am a Rolling Stones fan, I say that one shouldn't compare the Stones with the Beatles, they do different things. The Beatles were a pop band and as such should be compared to ABBA. So, I mention them in the same sentence quite often.

I totally disagree. The Stones and the Beatles' music and wider background have far more in common, than the Beatles' do with ABBA. ABBA were pure Euro-pop; the Beatles were not. The Stones had deeper blues-roots than the Beatles, yet they were both lovers and and interpreters of American rock 'n roll and rhythm-and-blues.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 3, 2021 11:50

Yep, ABBA never made it in the USA. They were (are) big in the UK, Australia and Europe. It's pop music (70s, disco oriented) though, no use in comparing them with the Stones. Or the Beatles.

Date: September 3, 2021 12:31

Big Al

Apparently, outside of their homeland, the U.K. was their main focus for obtaining success: it worked.

Björn Ulvaeus in the above Guardian interview: "We have always felt that the Brits see us as their own" - but ABBA is actually from Sweden - [en.Wikipedia.org] . Album-Charts Europe vs. North America - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-03 12:55 by Irix.

Date: September 3, 2021 13:11

Irix
Big Al

Apparently, outside of their homeland, the U.K. was their main focus for obtaining success: it worked.

Björn Ulvaeus in the above Guardian interview: "We have always felt that the Brits see us as their own" - but ABBA is actually from Sweden - [en.Wikipedia.org] . Album-Charts Europe vs. North America - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Exactly.ABBA Mania is always around the corner, here!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home