Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sucking In The 20s
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 6, 2021 12:20

Inspired by Stoneage.

Post your favourite 10 song-list from the 20s.

Mine:

1 - Criss Cross
2 - Living In A Ghost Town (Alok Remix)
3 - Scarlet feat. Jimmy Page [The War On Drugs Remix]
4 - 100 Years Ago (Piano Demo)
5 - You Can't Always Get What You Want - One World: Together at Home
6 - Living in a Ghost Town
7 - Scarlet feat. Jimmy Page
8 - All the Rage
9 - EAZY SLEAZY — Mick Jagger with Dave Grohl
10 - Scarlet feat. Jimmy Page [The Killers & Jacques Lu Cont]

Re: Sucking In The 20s
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 6, 2021 13:23

It Won’t Take Long
Under the Radar
Rough Justice
Laugh, I nearly Died
This place is Empty
I Wanna go Home
Living in a ghost Town
Doom and Gloom
Dangerous Beauty
This Place is Empty

Being very “liberal” with MY take on the ‘20s !!!

Rod

Date: May 6, 2021 14:44

That's like calling Satisfaction an 80s song

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: May 6, 2021 14:54

Don't stop
Rough justice
Laugh I nearly died
Streets of love
Under the radar
We don't wanna go home
Doom & Gloom
Öne more shot
Just your fool
Living in a ghost town

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-06 14:55 by goingmad.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 6, 2021 18:14

Rough Justice
It Won't Take Long
Back of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Laugh, I nearly Died
Infamy

Plundered My Soul
I'm Not Signifying
Do You Think I Really Care?
No Spare Parts
We Had It All
Scarlet

Doom and Gloom
Living In A Ghost Town

Just Your Fool
Commit A Crime
Hoo Doo Blues
Little Rain

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2021 18:28

NilsHolgersson
That's like calling Satisfaction an 80s song

I think Devo did it in 77 or 78, so rounding up

Date: May 6, 2021 19:46

The 2020's so no Bigger Bang stuff, that album will be 20 years old in a few years

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 6, 2021 21:12

dang i lost track of the century there for a minute.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2021 21:29

Charlie Patton
Tommy Johnson
Kid Bailey
Garfield Akers
Frank Stokes
Blind Willie McTell
Skip James
Son House
Ishmon Bracey
Blind Willie Johnson

ROCKMAN

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 7, 2021 03:37

The Charleston?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 7, 2021 04:01

I am at a loss and I never got the "sucking" part. Generally speaking "sucking" is not a good thing, its a derogatory thing. And it definitely has its other implications that many might rather avoid, "CS" blues, anyone? Didn't get it in the seventies and don't get it now.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 7, 2021 04:04

Absorbing .... taking in ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 7, 2021 05:50

jbwelda
I am at a loss and I never got the "sucking" part. Generally speaking "sucking" is not a good thing, its a derogatory thing. And it definitely has its other implications that many might rather avoid, "CS" blues, anyone? Didn't get it in the seventies and don't get it now.

jb

Most others called their compilations "greatest". Sucking is a (clever?) change of pace, humorous, perhaps humbling. Furthermore, it wasn't just greatest hits, there were some odd choices and rare tracks. I loved it then, and still do now!

And I believe the poster called these threads "sucking" because no doubt, the Stones output pales in comparison to previous eras.

Date: May 7, 2021 06:02

>And I believe the poster called these threads "sucking" because no doubt, the Stones output pales in comparison to previous eras.

I think that was the point back in the 80s too but the Stones were never that keen on obvious self parody. Now the Jefferson Airplane, they excelled in it as did the offshoot Hot Tuna (originally Hot Shit).

And yeah the LP had rare tracks and I liked it too...just never got the title at all because I wasn't used to self parody from that corner, I thought it was more of an actual sexual reference which of course they were more famous for.

jb

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2021 07:52

jbwelda
>And I believe the poster called these threads "sucking" because no doubt, the Stones output pales in comparison to previous eras.

I think that was the point back in the 80s too but the Stones were never that keen on obvious self parody. Now the Jefferson Airplane, they excelled in it as did the offshoot Hot Tuna (originally Hot Shit).

And yeah the LP had rare tracks and I liked it too...just never got the title at all because I wasn't used to self parody from that corner, I thought it was more of an actual sexual reference which of course they were more famous for.

jb

Yeah the whole thing is a double entendre which they obviously enjoy doing. And while not a double entendre having the product codes for their 70s Atlantic albums with the prefix of COC or CUN for USA/UK releases is just another example of them pushing the envelope.

Date: May 7, 2021 08:01

precisely what I was thinking of, the catalogue prefixes they used and I think still do allude to that.

jb

Date: May 7, 2021 12:40

goingmad
Don't stop
Rough justice
Laugh I nearly died
Streets of love
Under the radar
We don't wanna go home
Doom & Gloom
Öne more shot
Just your fool
Living in a ghost town

1 song from the 20s? smiling smiley

Date: May 7, 2021 12:46

Living In A Ghost Town
Sad Sad Sad (live)
Terrifying (live)
Undercover (live)
Salt Of The Earth (live)
2000 Light Years From Home (live)
100 Years Ago (piano version)
Heartbreaker (acoustic version)
Hide Your Love (alternate version)
Can You Hear The Music (Glyn Johns mix)

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 7, 2021 16:02

Omitting any newly-recorded Jagger overdubs on recordings dating back to the 1970's, we're only left with the following: Doom & Gloom, One More Shot, Living in A Ghost Town and the Blue & Lonesome album. With that in mind :-

Doom & Gloom
Ride 'Em On Down
One More Shot
Just Your Fool
Living in A Ghost Town

*There are other tracks off of Blue & Lonesome that I enjoy some bit, but evidently nothing noteworthy enough for me to recall right this instant.

We've been spoilt with live releases, reissues and Jagger's overdubs, but there's a part of me that feels starved somewhat. Deep down, I know I'd sacrifice the excellent Goat's Head Soup reissue and live offerings for a brand spanking new set of studio-recordings: a new Rolling Stones album consisting of entirely newly-recorded, preferably, freshly-composed Jagger-Richards originals. Sigh... one day, eh?

Date: May 7, 2021 16:29

Big Al
Omitting any newly-recorded Jagger overdubs on recordings dating back to the 1970's, we're only left with the following: Doom & Gloom, One More Shot, Living in A Ghost Town and the Blue & Lonesome album. With that in mind :-

Doom & Gloom
Ride 'Em On Down
One More Shot
Just Your Fool
Living in A Ghost Town

*There are other tracks off of Blue & Lonesome that I enjoy some bit, but evidently nothing noteworthy enough for me to recall right this instant.

We've been spoilt with live releases, reissues and Jagger's overdubs, but there's a part of me that feels starved somewhat. Deep down, I know I'd sacrifice the excellent Goat's Head Soup reissue and live offerings for a brand spanking new set of studio-recordings: a new Rolling Stones album consisting of entirely newly-recorded, preferably, freshly-composed Jagger-Richards originals. Sigh... one day, eh?

Those are from the 10s. I reckon a "Sucking"-thread for that decade also will pop up soon smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-07 16:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 7, 2021 16:41

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Doom & Gloom
Ride 'Em On Down
One More Shot
Just Your Fool
Living in A Ghost Town

Those are from the 10s. I reckon a "Sucking"-thread for that decade also will pop up soon smiling smiley

You're right! eye rolling smiley I can't keep track of decade's, post-2000!

Date: May 7, 2021 16:48

Think about your future
Stop living in the past
Time's not standing still
So stop looking through those tinted glasses

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home