Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith on "Party For Joey" - A Sweet Relief Tribute To Joey Spampinato, out June 25
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 5, 2021 15:31

[truenorthrecords.com]

Keith plays on "Like A Locomotive" with Ben Harper, Charlie Musselwhite, Benmont Tench, Don Was, & Don Heffington

[recordstoreday.com]

Re: Keith on "Party For Joey" - A Sweet Relief Tribute To Joey Spampinato, out June 25
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 5, 2021 16:12

I’m going to infer that this explains the photo of Keith at Germano with Don Was playing upright bass.

Re: Keith on "Party For Joey" - A Sweet Relief Tribute To Joey Spampinato, out June 25
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 5, 2021 17:11

Back then I hoped that Joey gets the bass job.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 5, 2021 18:55

Meanwhile, I was hoping that Keith and Don were working on new Stones music!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 5, 2021 19:05

He had a "bouncy" bass style closer to Bill's than Daryl's . Did he audition for the Stones in 93 ? I can't remember.

sc uk

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 5, 2021 19:14

Who is Al Anderson? American one time guitar player for the Wailers?

jb

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 5, 2021 19:16

Thanks for this information. First I've heard about this record.

Date: May 5, 2021 19:21

jbwelda
Who is Al Anderson? American one time guitar player for the Wailers?

jb

That's a different Al Anderson.

This Al Anderson was in The Wildweeds, then joined NRBQ (for what is considered the "classic line-up) and then became a writer of a ton of Country music hits.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 5, 2021 19:27

Joey sings:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 5, 2021 19:35

To me the classic NRBQ was in the mid 70s, Kick Me Hard I think was the album I liked a lot back then. I see Anderson was in the band then so I guess I can go along with the "classic lineup" jive.

Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen though, that was my fave band of this kind of country rock stuff. They had more boogie to their woogie.

jb

Date: May 5, 2021 23:03

MelBelli
I’m going to infer that this explains the photo of Keith at Germano with Don Was playing upright bass.

A reasonable inference. Photo's from 2/3, according to Keith's Twitter.

[twitter.com]

Date: May 6, 2021 01:07

Not even a cigarette butt in the ashtray!

jb

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: May 6, 2021 19:28

jbwelda

jb

Didn't Keith give up about 18 months ago, hoping he's still given up.

Keith on "Party For Joey" - A Sweet Relief Tribute To Joey Spampinato, out June 25
Date: May 12, 2021 18:30

"Party For Joey" press release:

Sweet Relief Tribute to NRBQ’s Joey Spampinato features Bonnie Raitt, Ben Harper, She & Him out June 25

May 10, 2021

True North Records announces a June 25th release date for A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato, which features a lengthy list of friends and fans of the NRBQ founding member/bassist saluting him with 14 versions of their own previously unreleased takes of Spampinato-penned songs.

A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato is an inspired album recorded by an astounding group of musicians who are all generously donating their proceeds from these recordings to the Sweet Relief Musicians Fund to support Joey with his current health issues. The Sweet Relief Musicians Fund provides financial assistance to all types of career musicians and music industry workers who are struggling to make ends meet while facing illness, disability or age-related problems.

Joey Spampinato, a singer, songwriter and bassist, was co-founder of the legendary NRBQ, a rock quartet whose genre-defying music continues to inspire generations of music fans and fellow musicians. Many of those musicians answered the call from Joey’s wife Kami Lyle and producer Sheldon Gomberg when they contacted them about recording one of Joey’s songs for an album to help raise funds for Joey when it was revealed he was battling cancer.

A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato Track Listing

Al Anderson – “You Can’t Hide” – Original Release: 1969 on NRBQ
Los Lobos – “Every Boy, Every Girl” – Original Release: 1987 on God Bless Us All
Deer Tick – “That I Get Back Home” – Original Release: 1980 on Tiddlywinks
Ben Harper with Keith Richards, Charlie Musselwhite, Benmont Tench, Don Was, & Don Heffington – “Like a Locomotive” – Original Release: 1989 on Wild Weekend
Peter Case – “Don’t Knock At My Door” – Original Release: 1972 on Scraps
She & Him – “How Can I Make You Love Me” – Original Release: 1983 on Grooves in Orbit
The Minus 5 – “Don’t She Look Good” – Original Release: 1979 on Kick Me Hard
Steve Forbert – “Beverly” – Original Release: 1986 on Uncommon Denominators
Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale – “How Will I Know” – Original Release: 2013 on Smiles
Bonnie Raitt & NRBQ – “Green Lights” – Original Release: 1978 on At Yankee Stadium
Robbie Fulks – “Chores” – Original Release: 1979 on Kick Me Hard
Penn And Teller – “Plenty of Somethin’” – Original Release: 1997 on You’re Nice People You Are
The Nils & Chris Spedding – “That’s Alright” Original Release: 1977 on All Hopped Up
Kami Lyle with Joey – “First Crush”

“That life is hard is true, and yet we’re graced with gifts that make it easier. One of those gifts is Joey Spampinato,” writes Michael Simmons in his album liner notes.

“The singer, songwriter and bassist was co-founder of NRBQ, a rock quartet who released their first album in 1969 and whose early line-ups lasted 40 years. It wasn’t unusual for them to perform an unyieldingly ear-wormy pop-rocker that integrated an atonal skronky horn section. They added elements of everything from bossa nova to zydeco. Each Q member was a master of their realm, but Joey was my favorite.

“‘If Paul McCartney was from the Bronx, he’d be Joey Spampinato,’ proclaims The Simpsons writer/producer Mike Scully, one of many of the Q’s rabid fans who attained massive success in myriad professions. Keith Richards hired musicians’ musician Joey to play bass behind Chuck Berry in the all-star tribute, Hail! Hail! Rock ‘n’ Roll, due to his ability to make a bass guitar swing like an upright. And while Spampinato was playing a residency with Eric Clapton in London, McCartney (the one from Liverpool) invited Joey to his studio to jam for an afternoon.

“Spampinato grew up in an Italian-American home filled with music. Joey’s first instrument at 10 was alto saxophone. ‘I had a great teacher,’ he chuckles. ‘Mr. Fleishaker.’ The kindly mentor led the kid through practice every afternoon for years, culminating in a concert at Carnegie Hall at age 13. Another crucial influence is composer Richard Rodgers – a god of pre-rock melody. Passion for the Everly Brothers was followed by the same for the Beatles. ‘I instantly identified with them because of their similarity to the Everlys.’

“In recent years Joey and brother Johnny have played as the Spampinato Brothers, but work was halted when Joey became seriously ill. Producer of this set, Sheldon Gomberg, knew Joey and wife, musician Kami Lyle, and hooked them up with Sweet Relief, the organization that provides aid to ailing musicians. He’s now recuperating nicely and feeling pretty damn good.

“Joey Spampinato has a gift – he knows how to bring joy by combining the perfect chord change with perfect turn of phrase. His music delivers the message that kindness brings its own sweet relief. The wonderful and eclectic musicians on this collection have gathered to return this singular gift.”

And we’ll leave the final word on this project to the recipient of all these good musical vibes, Joey Spampinato: “I want to say, I’m humbled by the fact that all these great musicians here wanted to be a part of this. As a person who is easily embarrassed by presents, or even a compliment, this is, in a word, overwhelming. Some of the people here are dear personal friends, people I’ve had the great pleasure of writing, recording, or playing gigs with over the years. Others are newer artists on the scene, people I’ve also admired, and am happy to now discover that they like what I do, too! Here’s to all of you, and thank you for coming to my party!”

For more information about Sweet Relief Musicians Fund visit [www.sweetrelief.org]

[www.thatericalper.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 14, 2021 08:44

Rocktiludrop
jbwelda

jb

Didn't Keith give up about 18 months ago, hoping he's still given up.

Yep! October 2019, apparently.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 12, 2021 13:14

Sampled on iTunes, the whole album sounds great….thumbs up

Date: June 12, 2021 14:55

This is such a sweet idea inspired by his loving wife. Its a shame that cancer can ruin a person not only physically but financially and I am so proud of KEEF and all of the others for helping out a friend. I hope it is a success.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 12, 2021 18:47

. >>>>He’s now recuperating nicely and feeling pretty damn good.

Alright Joey, continued healing your way.

Got to hang out with the NRBQ guys one night in the mid-80’s when I was helping loading band’s equipment and covering back door security at a place called The Mineshaft, in Charlottesville, Virginia. I remember that all of them were easy to work with. Terry and Al maybe a bit more aloof. I vaguely recall sitting down and drinking a beer with Joey and Tom, and perhaps sharing a joint? Some of those years for me are a blur. Lots of good memories of this band though.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 12, 2021 21:37

jbwelda
To me the classic NRBQ was in the mid 70s, Kick Me Hard I think was the album I liked a lot back then. I see Anderson was in the band then so I guess I can go along with the "classic lineup" jive.

Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen though, that was my fave band of this kind of country rock stuff. They had more boogie to their woogie.

jb

Ah, Commander Cody at Provo Park in Berkeley, way back in the day.Good days.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: June 14, 2021 13:33

yes the good commander and the airmen probably the most underrated band ever.I love em,live a well oiled machine.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 15, 2021 20:52

pike bishop
yes the good commander and the airmen probably the most underrated band ever.I love em,live a well oiled machine.

Yes, seen them live several times, fun band, very underrated.

Date: June 16, 2021 03:42

Date: June 16, 2021 03:44

jbwelda
not to take away from Joey and NRBQ, but

Ya just did.

Start a new thread.

Date: June 16, 2021 03:47

ok boss...

jb

Date: June 17, 2021 17:45

Reviewer only mentions a few tracks, the Ben Harper song with Keith not among them.

REVIEW: A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato

H. R. Gertner
June 16, 2021

[americanahighways.org]

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: June 17, 2021 17:59

Late 60’s Connecticut beach towns every local AM station had this in straight up rotation plugging the local band makes good. They were close to the off campus clubs for UConn which was a plus. Also being in demand for every HS auditorium dance. The Wildweeds sparked a garage band surge locally that took hold for years to come.

Also being in between NYC and Boston on the music scene helped too. The Shiboo (club by UConn) u see various names also helped. I do recall The Young Rascals> The Rascsls were charting high then too.

Date: June 22, 2021 19:51

Various Artists

A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato

Album Reviews

June 22nd, 2021

The Minus Five gets the closest, I think, to the sound of classic NRBQ here. The rickety, anything goes rock ‘n roll spirit of the Q shines like an old, broken flashlight in their performance of “Don’t She Look Good.” But the Five, an R.E.M. offshoot featuring Scott McCaughey, Peter Buck, and Mike Mills, are just one of 14 spectacular artists and groups that showed up and played their hearts out at this Party for Joey. Highly celebrated for his songwriting, singing, and bass playing (Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Bonnie Raitt, etc.), Joey Spampinato co-founded NRBQ in 1965, and remained with the band until the mid-2000s. He’s been battling cancer these past six years, and the proceeds from this Sweet Relief Tribute are intended to help ease the burden of his medical bills.

NRBQ—the New Rhythm and Blues Quartet—are one of those bands vastly important to the fabric of rock ‘n’ roll, but ridiculously under-heralded. The Spampinato-penned gems included in this collection likely won’t change the latter notion, but will certainly shore up the former. They are, in a word, superb.

Ex-NRBQ guitarist Al Anderson (now an acclaimed Nashville-based songwriter) opens the album with “You Can’t Hide.” Anderson’s banged-up, melodic singing and playing, and the spunky little band behind him, set the tone for one heck of a joyful rock ‘n’ roll ride. Los Lobos and the Q grew up during the same timeframe, and the similarities between the two bands jump out in the positively exuberant run through “Every Boy Every Girl,” cut by Los Lobos singer, guitarist and multi-instrumentalist David Hidalgo, sax player Steve Berlin, and Hidalgo’s sons Vince on bass and David Jr. on drums. And how ‘bout this little one-off posse of rockers? Vocalist/guitarist Ben Harper, some guy named Keith Richards on guitar, blues harmoni-cat Charlie Musselwhite, ex-Heartbreakers keys man Benmont Tench, Don Was on bass, and drummer Don Heffington clickety-clack together “Like a Locomotive” indeed!

Among other highlights on the album are Rhode Island alt. folk rockers Deer Tick inserting more than a little twang into “That I Get Back Home,” She & Him (actress/model Zooey Deschanel singing, and M. Ward on guitars and keyboards) being blatantly ethereal on the lovely “How Can I Make You Love Me,” and Bonnie Raitt with the current edition of NRBQ (still featuring Terry Adams on clavinet) rolling through “Green Lights.” Terrific cuts by Peter Case, Steve Forbert, Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale, Robbie Fulks, Penn and Teller, and The Nils featuring Chris Spedding, round out the set.

Joey Spampinato’s wife, fellow singer/musician Kami Lyle, made the plea to the Sweet Relief Musicians Fund. She and Joey bring the album to a close with “First Crush,” their dreamy, co-written tribute to each other. Like a healing salve, it seems to have worked. It’s reported that Spampinato is “recuperating nicely and feeling pretty damn good.” Buy this album, and feel pretty damn good with him.

—Tom Clarke

[www.elmoremagazine.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 25, 2021 06:29

Date: June 25, 2021 16:00

Thanks, Cristiano.

Full album > [open.spotify.com]

Date: June 25, 2021 21:27

Surprisingly low number of views for the "Like A Locomotive" YouTube video. Personally responsible for several of those views.

Frye? Bueller??

[youtu.be]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home