Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones touring the UK with the Ronettes and playing as a four-piece
Date: May 4, 2021 00:27

New video from this youtube channel called Yesterday's Papers. If you haven't checked it out, definitely do so. Some great Stones content there.

Anyway, this is pretty interesting. The Stones played in Aylesbury without Brian. Was this the only time they ever played as a four-piece?

[youtu.be]

Re: The Stones touring the UK with the Ronettes and playing as a four-piece
Date: May 4, 2021 00:28

There were more shows without Brian.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2021 00:36

...... you couldnt do that today
because girls no longer know how to bake scones .....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 4, 2021 00:38

Rockman
...... you couldnt do that today
because girls no longer know how to bake scones .....

Hahaha!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 4, 2021 00:49

DandelionPowderman

Especially through the 70s.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 4, 2021 06:51

I never heard of Brian missing shows in Europe. I always thought they were mostly shows in the American Midwest.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 4, 2021 07:28

Nice video, at 3:25 in the pic of the Ronettes on stage, you can see Jimi Hendrix on guitar. There was another thread a while back about who opened for who. I always assumed that the Stones were opening for the Ronettes, which Ronnie confirms.
The Ronettes opened for the Beatles on their final US tour in 66. Phil was so jealous of Ronnie being around them that he wouldn't allow her to go on tour so they got their cousin to fill in. There's a couple youtube videos of audio from Toronto from that tour which features Nedra and Estelle on lead vocals. It's too bad they didn't do more lead vocals on record, both have excellent voices.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 4, 2021 08:11

Memo From Tina Turner
New video from this youtube channel called Yesterday's Papers. If you haven't checked it out, definitely do so. Some great Stones content there.

Anyway, this is pretty interesting. The Stones played in Aylesbury without Brian. Was this the only time they ever played as a four-piece?

[youtu.be]

You mean three-piece?

They were ordinarily only ever a four-piece. Mick’s occasional harmonica or tambourine doesn’t make them a five-piece.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 4, 2021 08:43

DGA35
Nice video, at 3:25 in the pic of the Ronettes on stage, you can see Jimi Hendrix on guitar. There was another thread a while back about who opened for who. I always assumed that the Stones were opening for the Ronettes, which Ronnie confirms.
The Ronettes opened for the Beatles on their final US tour in 66. Phil was so jealous of Ronnie being around them that he wouldn't allow her to go on tour so they got their cousin to fill in. There's a couple youtube videos of audio from Toronto from that tour which features Nedra and Estelle on lead vocals. It's too bad they didn't do more lead vocals on record, both have excellent voices.

Thanks for pointing the Hendrix moment, great stuff thumbs up

Date: May 4, 2021 09:42

Maindefender
DGA35

I wonder when and where that show was where Jimi played with the Ronettes? It obviously wasn't in Europe, as he never went there before 1966.

Date: May 4, 2021 09:51

24FPS
I never heard of Brian missing shows in Europe. I always thought they were mostly shows in the American Midwest.

Didn't Keith tell about this show and Brian getting lost in Life? At least I've read about it somewhere.

Yes, there were some shows in the US he missed.

Date: May 4, 2021 09:52

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Not to mention through their 70s.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 4, 2021 10:31

According to the Rocks Off set-list page, he was absent from the 1964 show in Chatham, Kent; my hometown.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 4, 2021 12:16

There have been early day concerts in the USA where Brian didn't turn up occasionally. His asthma was mentioned, I remember. Possibly some of our US IORR friends have (can find) some information about it.
Mick aparently was once replaced by Paul Jones very early on before they jumped into fame. Keith never missed a concert!
cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 4, 2021 12:17

Big Al

They were ordinarily only ever a four-piece. Mick’s occasional harmonica or tambourine doesn’t make them a five-piece.

STU!
Never forget Stu!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 4, 2021 12:55

marcovandereijk
Big Al

STU!
Never forget Stu!

True Stones fans never will, Marco winking smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 4, 2021 16:11

Maindefender
DGA35

Wow! I didn't notice that. Very cool.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: May 4, 2021 18:59

Keith inducts Ronettes Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2007...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 4, 2021 19:03

ronettes accept award 2007 rnr hall of fame...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 4, 2021 19:11

accept award - at 10:15 keith and ronnie so close together ... :-)

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 4, 2021 19:43

A bit bittersweet watching the awards ceremony. Estelle wasn't in good shape at the time. Ronnie's acceptance speech dragged on while Estelle gave a very quick thank you which sounded like it got a bigger cheer from the crowd. She wasn't in any condition to perform so one of Ronnie's backup singers filled in but Estelle came out for the final bow. She would pass away the following year from cancer.
As far as Hendrix goes, I read online that they met him in 64 in NYC when he was still unknown.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2021 23:58

24FPS

Brian missed the following shows, that I'm aware of

27/8/63 - Windsor *
28/8/63 - Eel Pie Island, Twickenham *
5/9/63 - Walmer
6/9/63 - Lowestoft
7/9/63 - Aberystwyth
21/1/64 - Aylesbury (two shows)
10/5/64 - Bristol (early show) (he was delayed in traffic)
11/11/64 - Milwaukee
12/11/64 - Fort Wayne
13/11/64 - Dayton
14/11/64 - Louisville (two shows) *

(at the shows asterisked, they replaced Brian with Stu - presumably on piano!)

Charlie missed

7/2/63 - Haringay, London
15/3/64 - Chatham (Charlie was delayed coming back from holiday due to bad weather. Mickey Waller deputised)

and - Mick actually missed a show too

8/9/62 = Ealing Jazz Club. Paul Jones deputised.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 5, 2021 04:14

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Not to mention through their 70s.

darkly

Date: May 5, 2021 05:12

Gazza
24FPS

Brian missed the following shows, that I'm aware of

27/8/63 - Windsor *
28/8/63 - Eel Pie Island, Twickenham *
5/9/63 - Walmer
6/9/63 - Lowestoft
7/9/63 - Aberystwyth
21/1/64 - Aylesbury (two shows)
10/5/64 - Bristol (early show) (he was delayed in traffic)
11/11/64 - Milwaukee
12/11/64 - Fort Wayne
13/11/64 - Dayton
14/11/64 - Louisville (two shows) *

(at the shows asterisked, they replaced Brian with Stu - presumably on piano!)

Charlie missed

7/2/63 - Haringay, London
15/3/64 - Chatham (Charlie was delayed coming back from holiday due to bad weather. Mickey Waller deputised)

and - Mick actually missed a show too

8/9/62 = Ealing Jazz Club. Paul Jones deputised.

Wow! Thanks for the detailed info. I don't remember any Stones history talking about missed Europe dates, just those ones in the American midwest.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 5, 2021 13:59

Keith always places the infamous Brian missed midwest concerts to 1966, but as noted above by Gazza it was during their October-November 1964 US tour.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2021 14:34

georgie48
There have been early day concerts in the USA where Brian didn't turn up occasionally. His asthma was mentioned, I remember. Possibly some of our US IORR friends have (can find) some information about it.
Mick aparently was once replaced by Paul Jones very early on before they jumped into fame. Keith never missed a concert!
cool smiley

No, he did not (and will not). According to Keith's mother, Keith would go to gigs and rehearsials no matter how ill he was, since his membership in the band wasn't so settled then, and he was afraid that they would replace him with someone else permanantly if he didn't show up... Of course we are here refering to very early days, but still: the strong constitution was built on pretty fragile foundation initially...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-05 14:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 5, 2021 14:43

Amazing facts Gazza.
Did the setlists had to be modified for the shows without Brian? Or was Brian mostly playing guitar and harmonica in 63-64; in that case, Mick and Keith could have played Brian's parts when needed.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 5, 2021 15:48

Note some concerts were cancelled or severely delayed due to Keith. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Different scenario when this happens when band is on the up as opposed to when it was already successful. Cancelling a gig in 1964 is a bit different to cancelling one in 1990.

Still, speaks volumes that they've never played one without him. I think we all know the outcome if Keith could not make a gig in 1964 or any year. An outright cancellation rather than the band playing without him.

Date: May 5, 2021 15:49

DandelionPowderman

Didn't Keith tell about this show and Brian getting lost in Life? At least I've read about it somewhere.

Yes, Brian got lost in fog. Newspaper article about that gig mentions it too.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: May 5, 2021 16:01

Totally neat!! Thanks.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home