Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones touring the UK with the Ronettes and playing as a four-piece
Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: May 5, 2021 17:43

I recall also reading that in their early years Bill did miss some gigs as well and they replaced him with someone else.

Date: May 7, 2021 00:36

From a 2016 Rolling Stone interview with Ronnie Spector-

What was Jimi Hendrix like?
He used to play in a small place downtown in the house band. I’d get up and sing – anything he would do on his guitar, I would repeat with my voice. He would say, “Boy, your voice sounds like a guitar.” I didn’t know my voice was supposedly that great because people didn’t tell you back then how great you were. Then it was, “Go to the ladies’ room. Re-do your eye makeup, or something.”

It sounds like Jimi was different. Did you remain friends?
One time, my sister called me up when I’d come back to New York, visiting my parents. She said, “Jimi is dying to see you again.” So I went over to Jimi’s house at Electric Lady, and he has a mattress on the floor, and about four girls hanging around the bed. My sister was sitting in a chair, and he was like, “Ronnie, you’ve got to go on my record. Even if you just say ‘ooh’ or ‘ahh,’ you know, your little ‘oh-ohs.'” So I did that. They had shipped my Camaro to New York, so Jimi and all of us, the girls, got in after recording and we were all crowded in there, and I dropped Jimi off and said, “OK, good night!”

The next morning, somebody’s ringin’ my bell. I look through the peephole and I say, “Oh, it’s Jimi!” [Laughs] I open the door and he had one hand on his hip and said, “Hi Ronnie. I left my tapes in your car.” He left that tape on purpose. I thought it was the sweetest thing. Because he wanted to see me alone. Yet I was married at the time, so … I couldn’t see him too much [laughs].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-07 00:37 by Memo From Tina Turner.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 7, 2021 01:09

Mariuana
I recall also reading that in their early years Bill did miss some gigs as well and they replaced him with someone else.

Bill's first gig was in mid-December 1962. However, there were a few gigs between then and late January 1963 where he didnt play (presumably he had prearranged commitments). He was replaced by either Ricky Fenson or Colin Golding at these shows (they had both filled in in late 1962 after Dick Taylor left). However, there were a couple of gigs where the band played without a bassist as none was available.

The line up that we all know (including Stu) was constant from 23.1.63 onwards. Bill never missed another show while he was in the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-07 01:09 by Gazza.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: May 7, 2021 06:43

24FPS
Gazza
24FPS
I never heard of Brian missing shows in Europe. I always thought they were mostly shows in the American Midwest.

Brian missed the following shows, that I'm aware of

27/8/63 - Windsor *
28/8/63 - Eel Pie Island, Twickenham *
5/9/63 - Walmer
6/9/63 - Lowestoft
7/9/63 - Aberystwyth
21/1/64 - Aylesbury (two shows)
10/5/64 - Bristol (early show) (he was delayed in traffic)
11/11/64 - Milwaukee
12/11/64 - Fort Wayne
13/11/64 - Dayton
14/11/64 - Louisville (two shows) *

(at the shows asterisked, they replaced Brian with Stu - presumably on piano!)

Charlie missed

7/2/63 - Haringay, London
15/3/64 - Chatham (Charlie was delayed coming back from holiday due to bad weather. Mickey Waller deputised)

and - Mick actually missed a show too

8/9/62 = Ealing Jazz Club. Paul Jones deputised.

Wow! Thanks for the detailed info. I don't remember any Stones history talking about missed Europe dates, just those ones in the American midwest.

Don't forget The RSG show on 8/27/65 "Apache" Stones without Mick

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 7, 2021 10:48

VideoJames

Don't forget The RSG show on 8/27/65 "Apache" Stones without Mick

As in the Shadows' classic, Apache?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2021 10:59

Always amazed by Gazza's detailed knowledge (although knowing him I shouldn'twinking smiley).

But what's this "Apache" RSG performance, VideoJames (or anyone)?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-07 11:11 by Doxa.

Date: May 7, 2021 11:20

An instrumental performance?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2021 11:41

DandelionPowderman

Seemingly yes, but what is the story about Ready Steady Go show without Mick - what they were playing, why not Mick there, etc.

- Doxa

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 7, 2021 12:25

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Seemingly yes, but what is the story about Ready Steady Go show without Mick - what they were playing, why not Mick there, etc.

- Doxa

Perhaps Mick was present for the show's other Stones performances? They usually performed, at least, a couple of numbers on each appearance, I think.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 7, 2021 17:31

Mick was there, he just didn't take part in a short humour take on Apache. smiling smiley

It's not a missed gig etc.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home