Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MARKETING MYSTERY
Date: May 2, 2021 16:27

OK, I admit it. I am befuddled.
How did The Rolling Stones allow 5o songs that could have been released as a box set for collectors escape? Heck, it could have been pared down to 20 songs a a kick-ass double album TATTOO YOU TWO, TATTOO TOO, SUCKING IN THE CENTURY. Or simply reworked as a single amazing fantastic fun album with 12 or 13 cuts (Please don't make me choose!)

And then Sir Mick Jagger releases to the world a pretty terrific song on YouTube which I cannot buy! I am old-school. I do not subscribe to Spotify or Apple. I buy my music. I cannot buy Easy Sleazy.

This is a marketing mystery.
Any explanations?

Re: MARKETING MYSTERY
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 2, 2021 17:15

HopeYouGuessMyName

I am old-school. I do not subscribe to Spotify or Apple. I buy my music.

Buying music is now in the minority:

USA - 83% Streaming, 9% Physical releases, 6% Digital Downloads - (Revenue in 2020) - [www.RIAA.com] - (PDF) .

UK - 66% Streaming, ~19% Physical releases, 4% Digital Downloads - (Revenue in 2020) - [www.BPI.co.uk] .

Germany - 63% Streaming, 28% Physical releases, 4% Digital Downloads - (Revenue in 2020) - [www.Musikindustrie.de] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-02 17:30 by Irix.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 2, 2021 17:38

At least we're sort of safe here in Germany for physical releases. Though the numbers are decreasing in stores like Media Markt and Saturn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-02 17:38 by frankotero.

Date: May 2, 2021 17:40

HopeYouGuessMyName

How did The Rolling Stones allow 5o songs that could have been released as a box set for collectors escape?

As a teaser. They'll be released someday/sometime officially in remastered quality. Worked well e.g with GHS in 2020 or with other releases previously available as Bootleg (Steel Wheels Live, Totally Stripped).

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: May 2, 2021 18:29

Because these songs are all far below the quality standard of what’s worth being officially issued.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-02 18:30 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 2, 2021 18:30

HopeYouGuessMyName
I cannot buy Easy Sleazy.

Thank god

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2021 19:17

HopeYouGuessMyName
How did The Rolling Stones allow 5o songs that could have been released as a box set for collectors escape?

Yes befuddled is a good word, but I've stopped wondering and questioning it, while continuing to fully enjoy it.
The 3 cd set could have been titled 'The Cat is Out of the Bag'!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 2, 2021 19:31

HopeYouGuessMyName
How did The Rolling Stones allow 5o songs that could have been released as a box set for collectors escape? Heck, it could have been pared down to 20 songs a a kick-ass double album TATTOO YOU TWO, TATTOO TOO, SUCKING IN THE CENTURY. Or simply reworked as a single amazing fantastic fun album with 12 or 13 cuts (Please don't make me choose!)

And then Sir Mick Jagger releases to the world a pretty terrific song on YouTube which I cannot buy! I am old-school. I do not subscribe to Spotify or Apple. I buy my music. I cannot buy Easy Sleazy.

Any explanations?

Youtube video to audio converter. It's no different than just playing it on YouTube over and over again with one exception - no commercials.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2021 20:44

GasLightStreet
HopeYouGuessMyName

Any explanations?

Youtube video to audio converter. It's no different than just playing it on YouTube over and over again with one exception - no commercials.

Yeah I ripped the audio from the YT file I download. Haven't listened to it in over a week. Still fantastic, though I'd like a higher quality audio file.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: May 2, 2021 22:27

1963luca0
Because these songs are all far below the quality standard of what’s worth being officially issued.

'All far below...' I don't agree. Not by some distance. These are perfectly good numbers and entirely worthy of official commercial release. I very much hope that further material of a similarly good standard also finds its way on to the market. Even at the steep prices charged I am happy to pay every penny...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 2, 2021 23:19

its a great high energy song ....
With Mick's slightly comical lyrics the
most out-spoken anyone's been about Covid
and adjusting to the life that its forced upon us ...

It's free but hey yeah would be nice as a 7" vinyl/CD release ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 2, 2021 23:41

they should put it out as the A side of a single with Ghost Town as the AA.

A proper single. With a theme even.

Or steal back one of those tracks back from FFSO and put that on the B side.

jb

Date: May 2, 2021 23:47

HopeYouGuessMyName

Any explanations?

Most likely they didn't allow it at all smiling smiley

A free single from Mick is indeed a mystery, though.

Date: May 3, 2021 06:42

Bastion
HopeYouGuessMyName
I cannot buy Easy Sleazy.

Thank god

Even though it was free, wondering if refunds are available for time spent.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 3, 2021 06:55

Shouldn't be many.
How many idiots could there possibly be that would spend time listening to and posting about something they don't like?

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 3, 2021 07:14

GerardHennessy
1963luca0

'All far below...' I don't agree. Not by some distance. These are perfectly good numbers and entirely worthy of official commercial release. I very much hope that further material of a similarly good standard also finds its way on to the market. Even at the steep prices charged I am happy to pay every penny...

Agreed - most of them are for sure entirely worthy of official commercial release, and many of them are even better than much of what has been officially released the last few decades. But makes me wonder how/why Mick would release Easy Sleazy, while he and the Stones held back on releasing songs that are a thousand times better. Then again, Mick's was free...he must have realized there's probably not much commercial value to it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 3, 2021 08:16

Must be hell living in the world
Living in the world like you
Must be hell living in the world
Suffering in the world like you

...................... Must Be Hell - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: May 3, 2021 09:11

That's not true! There are many good songs in it like "Built That Way", Prairie Love, Ivy League, Part Of The Night, She's Doing Her Thing, Nobodies Perfect, Dreams To Remember
Also the songs, that we knew from different bootlegs are now in good sound quality.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: May 3, 2021 11:14

I wonder if they released it on purpose to get the feedback and reviews from us in forums like this, then taking the most well received songs and officially releasing them?

Probably not, but thought that today as I was enjoying listening to these songs as I think some are quite good.

Date: May 3, 2021 16:03

The only explanation that I can come up with is that had Jagger released the song on itunes, maybe some embarrassingly low number of sales would have hurt his brand. I cannot cost too much to make a song available for sales in itunes, can it?

Date: May 3, 2021 16:19

HopeYouGuessMyName
The only explanation that I can come up with is that had Jagger released the song on itunes, maybe some embarrassingly low number of sales would have hurt his brand. I cannot cost too much to make a song available for sales in itunes, can it?

I think that ship has sailed...Superheavy, Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost being two examples from the last decade.

Date: May 3, 2021 16:30

HopeYouGuessMyName

It cannot cost too much to make a song available for sales in itunes, can it?

No, it doesn't cost too much to make a song available for sales on iTunes, but as posted above - [iorr.org] - with only 4-6% revenue there's obviously not much interest anymore by the fans in Digital Downloads.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 3, 2021 17:42

I believe there will be a 45 released, probably next RSD.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 3, 2021 19:14

A 60th anniversary release of unreleased material would make sense to me but most (not all, but most) of the 'fully finished' outtakes are NOT fully finished.They needed editing (e.g. 'Dogshit' - which also needs a proper title) and they need a focused vocal with proper lyrics.

We, my fellow anoraks, may be acclimatised to Jagger's 'vowel movements' but ordinary mortals would hear them and say 'What is this shit?''

Plus some of the tracks e.g. 'Cooking Up' are just shouty, tuneless noise,

Date: May 3, 2021 22:59

Irix
HopeYouGuessMyName

USA - 83% Streaming, 9% Physical releases, 6% Digital Downloads - (Revenue in 2020) - [www.RIAA.com] - (PDF) .

UK - 66% Streaming, ~19% Physical releases, 4% Digital Downloads - (Revenue in 2020) - [www.BPI.co.uk] .

Germany - 63% Streaming, 28% Physical releases, 4% Digital Downloads - (Revenue in 2020) - [www.Musikindustrie.de] .

To me these numbers are amazing, that physical purchases so much bigger than digital downloads.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 3, 2021 23:18

treaclefingers
Irix
HopeYouGuessMyName

To me these numbers are amazing, that physical purchases so much bigger than digital downloads.

Really? I don't see any sense in digital downloads because they cost nearly as much as physical releases. Streaming is a very cheap opportunity. We pay 15€ a month for a Family Account (6 accounts) for Spotify. That's really cheap and I don't see any advantage in Downloads. Spotify is easier to use on my HiFi and in my car. Today you get most super Deluxe Editions on Spotify that really cost too much on physical releases like the new Who Sell Out or other expensive Box Sets.

Date: May 5, 2021 04:18

hockenheim95
treaclefingers
Irix
HopeYouGuessMyName

Really? I don't see any sense in digital downloads because they cost nearly as much as physical releases. Streaming is a very cheap opportunity. We pay 15€ a month for a Family Account (6 accounts) for Spotify. That's really cheap and I don't see any advantage in Downloads. Spotify is easier to use on my HiFi and in my car. Today you get most super Deluxe Editions on Spotify that really cost too much on physical releases like the new Who Sell Out or other expensive Box Sets.

Yes I agree with you. I never got into downloads as when they first came out it was more expensive than buying the CD, which was ridiculous. I haven't looked recently but if prices are still so high it's no wonder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home