Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Any good versions of 'She's So Cold' live?
Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 2, 2021 02:31

I attended 5 shows in 1982.
She's so cold was one of my favorites. Of course it sounded different than the studio version!
The Intro was powerfull and so was the whole song.
The later versions didn't take off from my point of view.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: May 2, 2021 02:44

Check out Oct. 4, 1981 ‘Welcome To Boulder’
A little slower and Stu’s piano is turned up high in the mix. Most enjoyable.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 2, 2021 20:08

Zero.

Like Heartbreaker, Love Is Strong, Sway and She Was Hot, it's one of those songs they just can't perform live worth a damn.

Date: May 2, 2021 20:16

GasLightStreet
Zero.

Like Heartbreaker, Love Is Strong, Sway and She Was Hot, it's one of those songs they just can't perform live worth a damn.

Heartbreaker was more than good enough between 1973-1975, though. I presume you mean latter-day versions?

The vocals tend to be the problem, especially the chorus. The verses and the 'doo doo'-parts are good, imo.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 2, 2021 22:50

GasLightStreet
Zero.

Heartbreaker was very well performed until 1995. After Millenium it got weak. (Same with IORR, Tumbling dice and other)

Rest of the list I agree.

In it´s studio-version She´s so cold got "roll" and "swing" a great little sax- solo, this one-string-percussive-guitar - One of my favourites.
All that is lost in all of these live versions. I got it once live and although I was excited to get it live, I guess we hear what we want to hear in this song (got the studio-version deep in our mind, you know what I mean?)
If you don´t know the studio version and get it livem it´s just a boring repetitve rock-song. Pure garbage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 3, 2021 00:44

deardoctor
GasLightStreet
Zero.

Heartbreaker was very well performed until 1995. After Millenium it got weak. (Same with IORR, Tumbling dice and other)

In it´s studio-version She´s so cold got "roll" and "swing" a great little sax- solo, this one-string-percussive-guitar - One of my favourites.
All that is lost in all of these live versions. I got it once live and although I was excited to get it live, I guess we hear what we want to hear in this song (got the studio-version deep in our mind, you know what I mean?)
If you don´t know the studio version and get it livem it´s just a boring repetitve rock-song. Pure garbage.

That is in fact what you get with a lot of Stones songs. They are simple and when played by just any band, even them, sound boring. There is something they put into the performance on some of those studio cuts that is transcendent.

And I'm not slagging the entire catalogue or saying they don't have an amazing amount of incredibly well written songs.

But for She's So Cold, it's not the songwriting it's the performance.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 3, 2021 01:10

deardoctor
GasLightStreet
Zero.

To my ears, Heartbreaker has never been good. No dynamics, just one messy carpet bomb. Yet they've done pretty damn good versions of Monkey Man. Tumbling Dice is still good. It was good on the VL and BTB tours, although a bit too long. JJF they haven't played worth a damn since 1970. IORR... eh, it's pretty good on LOVE YOU LIVE and I remember a live version broadcast in 1990 that was bizarrely good but basically, pass.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: May 3, 2021 13:47

official 14 on fire rehershal, closer to the album sound, bet Keef overdubbed it as its got a rocking 3rd guitar in the mix

[www.youtube.com]

mick is full on cockney same as easy sleazy

Date: May 3, 2021 14:11

Only two guitars. Ronnie is going back and forth with rhythm and lead on his B-bender. Keith plays the MXR Phaser. Don't know why he didn't use that one live (or the analog delay that he used on the album version).

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: May 3, 2021 14:27

The version on the Let's Spend The Night Together movie is brilliant. I like the radio broadcast version from Largo 9 December 1981 too.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home