Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any good versions of 'She's So Cold' live?
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: April 30, 2021 17:57

'81 seemed like a slopfest and the ones from 2006 seem lifeless and Mick's voice getting so nasally sounding.

So are there any good versions of this classic guitar-weaving track?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Any good versions of 'She's So Cold' live?
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 30, 2021 18:05

I like the '81 versions (Hampton, for example), but don't think you're going to get much better than the studio version.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 30, 2021 19:23

LeonidP
I like the '81 versions (Hampton, for example), but don't think you're going to get much better than the studio version.
The original studio version from ER is perfection magnified a gazillion times . One of my favorites

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2021 19:44

There are a few good live versions, but you had to be there in person to fully appreciate it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 30, 2021 19:54

Wembley ´82, what a start:

from 3´10 onwards smiling bouncing smiley

Date: April 30, 2021 20:22

Roskilde 2014 is pretty good, except for Mick flubbing the lyrics in the beginning.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 30, 2021 20:25

The live versions they've done since they've revived it are not half bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-30 20:26 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 30, 2021 20:31

Wembley 1982: Is that the source for the epithet "garage band" one may wonder...?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 30, 2021 20:37

DandelionPowderman
Roskilde 2014 is pretty good, except for Mick flubbing the lyrics in the beginning.

That one might actually be the best

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 30, 2021 20:45

Paris 17 should be one of the best. Arnheim a few Shows earlier wasn't that good as Mick forgot most of the Lyrics!

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: April 30, 2021 21:07

If Keith would play a six string in concert he would nail the studio essence.

High or Low, here we go.

Date: April 30, 2021 21:20

There is also a good version from on the Washington DC shows in 1981.

I think there is a broadcast version of this floating around.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 30, 2021 21:28

Great Post! Love She's So Cold...but live it kind of disappoints. Definitely better sense 2012. Seems like in '81/'82 Jagger just slopped through SSC and Hang Fire. At least they revisited SSC. Hang Fire never got a proper live working. Feel the same way about Silver Train. Love Silver Train but live they just slop through it.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 30, 2021 21:31

There is no good live version. Not at all. Mostely they butcher the break. Rest ist boring.
The studio version is superbe!

Date: April 30, 2021 21:45

glimmerman
If Keith would play a six string in concert he would nail the studio essence.

High or Low, here we go.

He has done it in standard tuning since 1982.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 30, 2021 21:51

When they do it nowadays, Mick doesn't sing the "when you're old...nobody will know..." lyric. I wonder why.winking smiley

Posted by: rastakeith ()
Date: April 30, 2021 21:55

Paris 2017 is very good, great sound from the pit, Mick full of energy, and great work by Keef on the Gibson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-30 21:57 by rastakeith.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: April 30, 2021 22:07

Agree on Paris 3 2017. I reported at the time it was "ramshackle fun".

Still, I think the best versions were during the later dates of the 1981 tour.

HBK

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 30, 2021 22:09

The problem is that a big part of the song is the famous Stones wobble. Bill's rubbery bass is outstanding on this studio track. Darryl is not as loose as Bill, and can't replicate that sound. Or he could and for some mysterious reason has chosen not to for 27 years.

Do you think Bill's parts are so distinctive, and such a part of many of the Stones classics, that Darryl just refuses to play them the right way? Or was Bill just that much more talented as a rock 'n roll/Rolling Stones bassist? Bill's bass lines are part of the classic songs. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to play those lines the way they're meant to be heard. Ronnie sticks pretty close to what Mick Taylor was doing, or Keith's part when he has to.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 30, 2021 22:11

..for me the best is Austin "biggest bang tour" 2006..surely overdubs but great...!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:25

24FPS
The problem is that a big part of the song is the famous Stones wobble. Bill's rubbery bass is outstanding on this studio track. Darryl is not as loose as Bill, and can't replicate that sound. Or he could and for some mysterious reason has chosen not to for 27 years.

Do you think Bill's parts are so distinctive, and such a part of many of the Stones classics, that Darryl just refuses to play them the right way? Or was Bill just that much more talented as a rock 'n roll/Rolling Stones bassist? Bill's bass lines are part of the classic songs. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to play those lines the way they're meant to be heard. Ronnie sticks pretty close to what Mick Taylor was doing, or Keith's part when he has to.

Totally agree on the bass, and Wymans part. D Jones just doesn't play the songs the way they originally were played, and the bass was a big part of the songs as they were originally played. I would not want to hazard a guess on why he insists on chords when there are notes to play, but maybe it is just a style thing. They are really missing the bottom definition in their sound, particularly live. Its kind of just a throb now instead of inspired playing.

jb

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: May 1, 2021 07:09

HouseBoyKnows
Agree on Paris 3 2017. I reported at the time it was "ramshackle fun".

Still, I think the best versions were during the later dates of the 1981 tour.

HBK

Absolutely. I was in FOS and great memories of this version. They were on.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 1, 2021 13:42

I think the studio version is an under achiever. Like much of ER it sounds a little sterile; the guitars are tentative when they might have been bold.
When the guitars clashed discordantly during SSC at Sheffield in 06 my wife gave me a pained look.’Yep’ I nodded ‘it was like this in Glasgow’
Luckily it started to rain. Keef responded to the soaking like a parched pot plant (come to think of it Keef and Ron rather do resemble the flowerpot men if any U.K. folks of a certain age reading this can remember them?) He burst into life and tore off great licks for the rest of the night.
SSC at Wembley (first night) was fantastic- very punk - with no train wreck in sight.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2021 17:13

SSC, my initiation into the stones club has never been equalled live.

There are other songs in this camp, immediately Rocks Off (possibly my fave Stones song, certainly top 5) comes to mind.

This also leads me to remember IORR performed by Mick with Foo Fighters on SNL.

[vimeo.com] lead in is 19th Nervous Breakdown, IORR at about 1:50

I know this is heresy, but when I heard this version that I couldn't believe how good it sounded, more in the style of the original studio recording.

I haven't heard the Stones do it like that, or that good and I wondered why that would be?

Is it missing Bill and the wobble? But there are obviously live versions with Bill out there. Is it the tempo?

Now, the great majority of their catalogue translates fantastically live, some better than the studio versions. Just not sure why there are a few they do not seem to be able to nail.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: May 1, 2021 18:09

treaclefingers

There are other songs in this camp, immediately Rocks Off (possibly my fave Stones song, certainly top 5) comes to mind.

Totally agree, and I would add "Shattered" as another example of this. In my opinion, the studio track is brilliant and unsurpassed; the live versions, not so much.

On the flip side of this discussion (perhaps worthy of a new thread), I find the live version of "Midnight Rambler" from Ya Yas far superior to the studio version on Let It Bleed.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-01 18:17 by sf37.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 1, 2021 20:17

sf37
treaclefingers

Totally agree, and I would add "Shattered" as another example of this. In my opinion, the studio track is brilliant and unsurpassed; the live versions, not so much.

On the flip side of this discussion (perhaps worthy of a new thread), I find the live version of "Midnight Rambler" from Ya Yas far superior to the studio version on Let It Bleed.....

I'll bet there's a great Rocks Off out there, from the '72 tour. Shattered is a good studio creation that doesn't quite come off live. The studio Midnight Rambler is an entirely different animal from how they've played it live. The studio version is so dark, and strange. I can't think of another song that approaches the almost bone chilling feel of the studio Midnight Rambler. The live version, even with its camp belt throwdown, is more of a blues workout. It's never been particularly threatening. I've never heard them even try the studio version of Rambler. It has so many twists and turns, and different tempos that are barely touched upon in the live versions.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: May 1, 2021 20:19

I remember the 2005 tour starting out much better than it finished. I went to the third show of the tour at Rentschler Field in Hartford. She's So Cold was the third song of the set and I remember it really cooking, really guitar driven... a highlight of the show. It was a great guitar show, definitely not lifeless.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Date: May 2, 2021 00:34

treaclefingers

IORR at about 1:50

I know this is heresy, but when I heard this version that I couldn't believe how good it sounded, more in the style of the original studio recording.

I haven't heard the Stones do it like that, or that good and I wondered why that would be?

Is it missing Bill and the wobble? But there are obviously live versions with Bill out there. Is it the tempo?

What I hear on the Foo Fighters version that makes it so good are the tempo and dynamics. They slow it down and play "pianissimo" on every "I like it" section that comes after the chorus. It gives the song added swagger that reminds me of the album and some of the live '75 versions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-02 00:35 by ryanpow.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 2, 2021 02:00

TooTough
Wembley ´82, what a start:

from 3´10 onwards smiling bouncing smiley

Again Mick saved the day :that "she 's so cold" start was rough!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 2, 2021 02:27

treaclefingers

IORR at about 1:50

What I hear on the Foo Fighters version that makes it so good are the tempo and dynamics. They slow the whole thing down and play "pianissimo" on every "I like it" section that comes after the chorus. It gives the song added swagger that reminds me of the album and some of the live '75 versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-02 02:28 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home