Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Counterfeit CD box sets
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 30, 2021 15:33

Almost every multi-disc boxset release by major artist is followed by a counterfeit. Usually, these fakes are made somewhere in South-East Asia. Initially they are sold by Asian/Chinese dealers as ‘brand-new and sealed’ at bargain prices. Sometimes they are on sale from the other parts of the world and even can be found in big-name shops (like at amazon from the third-party sellers through ‘fulfilled by amazon’ program). In those cases, they are priced cheaper comparing to the official version, but not as cheap as advertised by ‘Chinese ebay dealer’. Some of these counterfeits are well known. There are numerous posts on music forums and videos on YouTube ‘how to spot fake box set xxx’ with detailed instructions and comparison original-to-fake.

In the case of The Rolling Stones counterfeits of the following box sets were documented:
2008 - The Rolling Stones: Greatest Albums in the Sixties (17 SHM-CDs+DVD 12” box) [UICY-91317]
(actually, counterfeit box contains not SHM but regular CDs).
2010 - The Rolling Stones – Remasters, US version [600753204429] (14 Rolling Stones CDs 1971 – 2005)
2011 - The Rolling Stones – The Singles 1971-2006 [0602527603469]
2016 - The Rolling Stones In Mono (several counterfeit versions exist)
In many cases it is hard to recognize counterfeits because the sellers use stock images. However, if the seller uploaded the images of the actual item it is possible to recognize the inconsistencies. Here in brief ‘How to spot fake box-set of The Rolling Stones’. I put information from different sources in one place.

General rule for all – stay away from Far East-Asian sellers, 3rd party dealers at amazon and avoid ‘$45 deals’ on from untrusty online sellers. Sure, amazon, bullmoose or similar can offer big discount during promo actions. But one should jump on those only if it is 100% sure the sale is from the official site but not from 3rd party.

2008 - The Rolling Stones: Greatest Albums in the Sixties (17 SHM-CDs+DVD 12” box) [UICY-91317]
At least two fake versions were on the market. One was reporter by our own theo1954. It is numbered as ? 000003. Another fake was reported by Jessa on the other resource with box number ? 001962. The other one was discussed by Beave on Steve Hoffman’s music forum (no information about the number of the box).
In all cases the 1st marker is slightly different colors of the box and slightly different fonts for box number.
Inside the box – TSMR is without 3D picture on the cover, Rock’n’Roll Circus in gate-fold sleeve
CDs carry strange SID mould codes like ifpi B100 or ifpi CC309

Although, SHM-CD logo is printed on the hub, the catalog number, SID mastering code and Universal logo are present in the inner mirror band of the CD the fonts that are used are different from official. Also, the CD shape is different from those that are pressed in Japan.

Problems with identification:
It is very hard to recognize the fake from outside from low-quality online images. One should pay attention to box number. The only way to distinguish the fake is to open the box and check the CDs. SID mould codes ifpi B100 or ifpi CC309 directly point to Chinese fake.

2010 - The Rolling Stones – Remasters, US version [600753204429]
The safe choice is EU box. On the red side of the box there is barcode only. The CDs in the box are in modern ‘super jewel’ cases. Apparently, these were not faked.

Problematic are copies of the US version of the box.
They are characterized by the following:
Bar code: 600753204429.
Red side of the box contains FBI ani-piracy warning.
Discs are in regular jewel cases.
For ‘Black And Blue’ there are no credits – catalog number, Polydor and The Rolling Stones logos - on the blue spine of the CD.

The things that can be seen only if one opens the box:
Exile on Main Street came with 2010 CD1 EU label and catalog number
For CDs with printed/picture label (EOMS, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang) there is an extra ‘silver’ ring on the label side around the hub.
Different shape of the CD. Originals from USA are ‘clear plastic’ hub CDs. Chinese fakes came with relatively broad ‘clear’ ring, but part of the hub is covered with ‘silver’ foil.
Weird font for mould ifpi code (no code reported but the ifpi style on low quality images pointed to ‘Chinese ifpi B404’ type).

Problems with identification:
There is little information on the US made boxes. Seems that not too many fans purchased originals.
The 2009 remastered series that were made in the USA, Canada and Argentina were packed with regular jewel cases. Thus, one can distinguish the fake only opening the box and checking CDs and mould ifpi codes

2011 - The Rolling Stones – The Singles 1971-2006 [0602527603469]
There was only one version of the box. The CDs carry hub imprint MADE IN GERMANY BY EDC
Japanese version [UICY-5011/55] contains the same box with extra barcode sticker (it covers original barcode with one for Japanese market 4 988005 649799), additional Japanese booklet and OBI. A resealable clear protective sleeve holds both OBI and additional booklet together with the box set.
The Singles 1971-2006 boxset is numbered. Thus, the task to spot the fake is slightly simplified. A suspicious box is *011914. It is common on ebay and different ‘exotic’ e-commerce platforms like Southeast Asian shoppee. Sometime several boxes with this number are listed simultaneously from different parts of the world.

Characteristic features for fake box:
– the hype sticker is glued on the top of the sealed box. The official one had the sticker on the front, bottom left corner.
– the asterisk (*) in number string. For *011914 box so called ‘Heavy Teardrop-Spoked’ asterisk was used. All spokes of the asterisk are connected by sharp ends in the center. Tear-drop shape of an individual spoke is formed smoothly. For official edition the shape is more like ‘Balloon-Spoked Asterisk’ with ‘bold spot center’. I.e., there is a bold spot in the center where thin spokes began. The ends of the spokes have ‘balloon’-like rather than ‘tear drop’ shapes. Also, (due to fine texture of the carton or fading of the stamp???) many official boxes have printing defects on the asterisk’s spokes. For *011914 box the asterisk is defects-free.
- slightly different fonts were used for numbers. The details are almost indistinguishable at the first look. To name a few: straight vertical ‘inner’ lines for ‘0’s and ‘9’s for official editions and curved for *011914, longer and sharp ended left part of the ‘horizontal feet’ for number ‘4’ for official, different shapes for ‘nose’ and ‘feet’ for number ‘1’, different thicknesses and curvatures of the lines (compare the bottom part of number ‘9’ for *011914 (fake) and *011981 (original)).

Unfortunately, there is only limited information about the content of the fake box. The only obvious difference is an extra ‘silver’ ring around the hub on the label side (marked here with red arrow). It is absent for the official version of the disc. The shape of the CD is different too (compare the width of the clear plastic ring surrounding the central hole). There are, probably, more differences (ifpi codes, fonts for matrices etc.) but they are yet unknown. It is necessary to have in hands a CD from counterfeit box to track all the details. Well, good quality image will also do. As well, there were no inner plastic sleeves for the official release. The CDs from box *011914 have those.

If you are about to purchase sealed The Singles 1971-2006 boxset cheap ask the seller for the number of the box and a picture of the actual item that is up for sale. Close up image of the box number is a must. Stay away from *011914.

2016 - The Rolling Stones In Mono
Only EU and US boxes with CDs in 5” paper sleeves were faked. Several counterfeit versions exist. This time pirates learn their mistakes. It is almost impossible to recognize the fake from outside. The box itself was reproduced faithfully. There were reports the flyer attached to the back of the box was printed pale. But one cannot recognize this from online picture.
Things to check is the shrink is already cut (none of these are 100% signature of fake):
- magnetic lock in the cover. Some fakes boxes do not have magnet. The others do.
- pale/incorrect colors of the sleeves. Poorly glued sleeves. It is to be pointed out that the official US version came with rather sloppy sleeves.

Things that point directly to fake
- no outer plastic sleeves for individual CD covers, but CD is packed with the inner protective plastic sleeve. The official US version did not carry any plastic sleeves. The official EU version had resealable outer plastic sleeve and protective inner plastic sleeve (as pictured, official EU version)

- SID mould code ifpi B404 (or similar) or IFPI O8N5. Different fonts for matrix string. Different shapes of the CD.

Here are scans of fake Chinese CD provided by urbansteel

This is CD from official US box by dafnaplus.

Note different width of the inner mirror band. Different fonts for matrix number, different width of barcode.

For both USA and EU versions of CDs SID mould ifpi code is printed close to the edge of the central hole and is barely visible.

Here is another fake with IFPI O8N5

Apparently, there was a fake of EU box too. But at the moment I cannot find confirmation with graphical evidences.

Feel free to add your details..

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-03 11:31 by ironbelly.

Re: Counterfeit CD box sets
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 30, 2021 16:17

Never bought a fake Stones box but I did buy what I'm pretty sure is a counterfeit of Pink Floyd's complete collection from about seven years ago. The one in the maroon, rectangular box. Also the Led Zep complete albums box from about fifteen years ago in the squarish, black box. There's no loss or degradation in the ACTUAL SOUND of the music as CDs, even bootleg CDs, are copies. The packaging can be a bit shaky but the music is fine. I still feel weird about it, though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 30, 2021 17:10

I imagine much harder or at least more expensive to do a counterfeit vinyl box set run. Anyone ever heard of that happening?

I once bought a counterfeit Stones Promo album (the one from 1969 that had 250 copies or something in Us, and same in UK).

It was clear it was a fake but it was in mint condition, and was $25. Closest I was going to get to the real thing.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 30, 2021 18:27

Buyer beware , as always trust no one ( Amazon ) Whenever I need Media I will shop from Big Box retailers who have policy about there merchandise and I have never been burned . Versus the faceless scammers that perpetrate there fraud online .

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 30, 2021 19:08

The first time I bought the Beatles Mono Box I got a counterfeit item. I bought it from a third party dealer at amazon. But since I bought it through the ‘fulfilled by amazon’ program I got fully refunded.

Date: April 30, 2021 21:24

I have also run into this on Amazon.

It's worth paying a little more to get it from a box store

I do not recommend buying anything off Ebay you never know what you are getting.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:02

I used to buy via ebay a lot of Counterfeit cd's in the cd mini lp format all of them made in Russia. The sound quality and the packaging are all great, really great and the price very cheap. I knew before buying that they were not originals.

Later I bought also via ebay and this time from China the Counterfeit Rolling Stones mono box set. I was not very satisfied this time becouse not the sound quality but the packaging, the packaging of the gatefold cd's are not very well done.

bye
Fernando

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:07

I have been trying to score one of those mono singles sets on the very cheap for some time. If they sound good and the price is right, its ok that they are an authentic bootleg product. I mean, ABKCO and all, screw them.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:12

Lovely set .... you need it jb ...
even if its just for the UK mono Aftermath ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 1, 2021 07:33

jbwelda
I have been trying to score one of those mono singles sets on the very cheap for some time. If they sound good and the price is right, its ok that they are an authentic bootleg product. I mean, ABKCO and all, screw them.

jb

Yes, the sound is good. Check on ebay. Highly recommend!

Date: May 1, 2021 08:21

thank you both. I was actually confused and was thinking there was a mono singles box when it is actually the original LPs in mono on cd. Still need that set, I don't see any crazy cheap prices at the moment, the least is about seventy bucks, but will keep my eyes open. Am I correct in thinking that and the others going for over twice that are actually the bootlegs being discussed here?

jb

Date: May 1, 2021 12:19

Actually, this was to prevent collectors who want the real thing from buying counterfeits winking smiley.

However, if you want fake box cheap just search ebay or aliexpress.
As far as I remember In Mono box was within $40-$60 range a year or so ago all around the place. There was an aggressive advertising campaign on FB from some Knights Shop (or similar). Those guys were full of Chinese made fakes at $45. I am positive - almost every single In Mono Box on ebay and discogs is counterfeit nowadays. The only thing - to pick it cheap. The same story is with Remastered box. Singles 1971-2006 were priced relatively high all the time. The best case was $95.

Date: May 1, 2021 17:19

ironbelly
Actually, this was to prevent collectors who want the real thing from buying counterfeits winking smiley.

As far as I remember In Mono box was within $40-$60 range a year or so ago all around the place. There was an aggressive advertising campaign on FB from some Knights Shop (or similar). Those guys were full of Chinese made fakes at $45. I am positive - almost every single In Mono Box on ebay and discogs is counterfeit nowadays. The only thing - to pick it cheap. The same story is with Remastered box. Singles 1971-2006 were priced relatively high all the time. The best case was $95.

Yes for something like the Singles Box set, you have to be a 'collector' to want something like that. So to buy it as a counterfeit would be a massive disappointment I would think. I agree, pay a little extra in that case, and buy directly from Amazon or established big box, no point in having this in counterfeit version.

Date: May 1, 2021 21:04

treaclefingers
ironbelly

Yes for something like the Singles Box set, you have to be a 'collector' to want something like that. So to buy it as a counterfeit would be a massive disappointment I would think. I agree, pay a little extra in that case, and buy directly from Amazon or established big box, no point in having this in counterfeit version.
Not only Singles box. Greatest Albums in the Sixties too. That box is a real candy winking smiley

Date: May 2, 2021 03:38

ironbelly
treaclefingers
ironbelly

Not only Singles box. Greatest Albums in the Sixties too. That box is a real candy winking smiley

Yes, but on that one I can see being ok with getting the counterfeit, if you're into that, because you have the music still in pristine quality. If you buy something like the CD Singles box, only a real 'collector' is going to bother themselves with playing cd singles...what a hassle. So that person wants the 'real thing' not a counterfeit.

I have all that stuff so I'm with you, it's candy!

Date: May 3, 2021 11:02

Here is an example of original matrix (from label side) for disc Aftermath from the box Greatest Albums In The Sixties (thank you gonzalo76)

And here is fake (from play side) uploaded some time ago by the beave.

As you see the matrix font and the barcode are different. Different width of the inner mirror ring. Also, for official the ifpi code is printed on the clear plastic ring (it is barely seen at 10-11 o'clock). Otherwise, bootleggers tried their best to reproduce the CD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-03 11:04 by ironbelly.

Posted by: gonzalo76 ()
Date: May 3, 2021 19:06

ironbelly

Thank you very kindly for taking the time to make this comparison. I guess there are a lot of counterfeit out there and we have to be very carefully, specially when buying online! Sometimes the boxset is closed and you realize you bought a counterfeit at home sad smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 2, 2021 03:12

Ironbelly - Great work! Thank you

Date: August 2, 2021 03:26

I recently paid about $25 for a new copy of the Mono Box of LPs on cd. I really don't need to inspect the numbers and codes to draw probably the correct conclusion as to its origin. Still, its nice to have the definitive word on it.

jb

Date: August 2, 2021 03:55

jbwelda
I recently paid about $25 for a new copy of the Mono Box of LPs on cd. I really don't need to inspect the numbers and codes to draw probably the correct conclusion as to its origin. Still, its nice to have the definitive word on it.

jb

yeah, for $25 you have a sure thing!

Date: August 2, 2021 03:59

sound good though. And that Stray Cats disk is pretty kool too.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home