Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Ali Mackenzie
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 30, 2021 09:24

Announcement on Facebook from the Eel Pie Club

It is with great sadness that I pass on the news that Ali Mackenzie passed away this morning. We will always remember him as a super-talented, youthful and positive man. Our deepest sympathy to his partner, Mo. R.I.P. Ali. You will be missed.

Ali Mackenzie was the singer of Ronnie's first group The Birds, and continued to perform locally until quite recently.

Re: RIP Ali Mackenzie
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 30, 2021 12:58

Oh, I’m so shocked and sad to see this. The Ali Mac band was one of 3 I saw at the Ealing Club in 2018 and he was tremendously good. At one of the other 2 shows - Chris Jagger or Ben Waters - he wandered in to watch and stood beside me and we had a nice chat for a few minutes. An lovely gent and a truly great singer. RIP.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 30, 2021 13:08

This is so sad news.

Met him a couple of times at The Eel Pie Club and such a nice guy to talk to.

He always looked so fit and healthy as if he could go on singing forever with any band he was in.

Like SomeTorontoGirl said, a really lovely gentleman.

God Bless you Ali.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-30 13:24 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 30, 2021 13:24

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 30, 2021 17:06

Oh, that’s such a shame.

I know little about him, other than his tenure as the Birds’ lead vocalist, but I do really like those Birds 45’s: You’re on My Mind, No Good Without You Baby, etc. I often wondered how good it’d be if Ronnie and the Birds regrouped and did a couple of club or theatre shows. It would’ve garnered interest for sure. Ronnie’s professional career didn’t begin with The Faces, as I’m sure too many probably assume. Ali MacKenzie must’ve played a huge role in his beginnings.

Rest in peace, Ali MacKenzie.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 30, 2021 17:15

Cannot but agree that this is sad news indeed. I too met him a few times and he was a cheerful and positive soul with a good sense of humour. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 30, 2021 17:48

Big Al
Oh, that’s such a shame.

I know little about him, other than his tenure as the Birds’ lead vocalist, but I do really like those Birds 45’s: You’re on My Mind, No Good Without You Baby, etc. I often wondered how good it’d be if Ronnie and the Birds regrouped and did a couple of club or theatre shows. It would’ve garnered interest for sure. Ronnie’s professional career didn’t begin with The Faces, as I’m sure too many probably assume. Ali MacKenzie must’ve played a huge role in his beginnings.

Rest in peace, Ali MacKenzie.

I will always remember The Art Wood tribute at a small hall in Twickenham, when we were all treated to a Sunday afternoon and evening of great music with Ronnie coming on for the last couple of songs.
The Finale had Ronnie ,Mickey Waller on drums,Jon Lord on keyboards and Ali Mackenzie vocals and can't remember who was on bass.
Must have been at least 10 to 15 years ago and probably even longer.
I remember pauleywall, Adrian and Beast (I think) ,were all there as well as a few more from IORR.
It certainly was a great tribute to Art Wood with many bands playing on that great day of music. smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home