Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Sound Quality of IORR (album)
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:11

DandelionPowderman
jbwelda
I am surprised that any USA original vinyl release sounded better than the UK one. Almost never happens. Almost always the UK version sounded better, flatter, warmer bass, no upper end distortion and no warp on the disk. Guess this one is the exception to that rule. I always went out of my way to get the UK version of a vinyl LP in those days.

jb

But is there an American version of Out Of Our Heads UK? The US-version with that name is a different album, with many other good-sounding songs, as far as I know.

yes

jb

Date: May 1, 2021 01:20

I think its basically the mix you are hearing, although he was tearing his voice up in those days with the coke binges I would suspect. So it does sound a little more strained in some parts.

I am at a disadvantage though, as I have never heard any of the CD masters, my experience is the original USA release on vinyl of course. And it sounded distinct, maybe not necessarily good or bad, to me from the start. Too much separation and some funny mixing. In parts it jumps out of your speakers, in others its pretty muddled. But again, this is the original LP, don't know what it has become in the meantime.

jb

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:22

I always thought it sounded great, esp. the mix on the title track. Sound-wise a step up from GHS, not as good as Black and Blue, perhaps their apex of mixing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:26

ryanpow

I always thought it sounded great, esp. the mix on the title track. Sound-wise a step up from GHS, not as good as Black and Blue, perhaps their apex of mixing.

Same here - it has it's own unique signature sound, and that's part of the charm.

Date: May 1, 2021 01:26

Yep IORR was definitely the best sounding track on the set. That is the one I was specifically referring to as jumping out of your speakers.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:30

Yeah IORR 7" .... played it for days
in a darkened room on High St .. Man it sounded good .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 1, 2021 02:07

I think with IORR album, they tried to overcompensate for the muddies of Goats Head Soup, so they went for a clean dry sound that came out weak and flat.Sounding like ABBA

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 1, 2021 04:56

Lots of good points here, Dandy, Taylor, etc.

The thing is, they lost that great drum sound on this record. No Jimmy Miller, unless you count Short & Curlies which is one of the better songs sonically. It lacks everything else unfortunately. Fingerprint File sounds pretty good and was mixed by Glyn Johns.

Overall, the drums on this record sound anemic, even for the 70’s, which isn’t anywhere close to what people expect modern drums to sound like.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 1, 2021 06:48

TravelinMan

The thing is, they lost that great drum sound on this record. No Jimmy Miller, unless you count Short & Curlies which is one of the better songs sonically. It lacks everything else unfortunately. Fingerprint File sounds pretty good and was mixed by Glyn Johns.

Overall, the drums on this record sound anemic, even for the 70’s, which isn’t anywhere close to what people expect modern drums to sound like.

I think the drums are good on this album, particularly on ATPTB and Dance Little Sister.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-01 06:50 by ryanpow.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 1, 2021 15:21

IORR (song) just came on the radio yesterday. It sounded pretty damn good!

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: May 1, 2021 15:46

GasLightStreet
Sounds fine to me. It is what it is. The Virgin reissue sounds great. There's no telling for why it sounds flat etc. It's just what they did.

Agree. The Virgin remasters rank among the best among the various releasesof their discography. That's very true for IORR or EOMS.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 1, 2021 15:51

ryanpow
TravelinMan

I think the drums are good on this album, particularly on ATPTB and Dance Little Sister.

Compare them to the drums on Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 1, 2021 16:05

If you're after a clearer sound get an original Japanese pressing of the record.
The Japanese SHMCD with the flat transfer from the original tapes sounds great too.
Bob Ludwig remaster from the 90's adds some punch.
A lot of options actually...

IORR, what a great album. Mick Taylor shines on it. And the band plays very tight. Always been one of my favorite.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 2, 2021 14:02

kowalski
If you're after a clearer sound get an original Japanese pressing of the record.
The Japanese SHMCD with the flat transfer from the original tapes sounds great too.

IORR, what a great album. Mick Taylor shines on it. And the band plays very tight. Always been one of my favorite.

Hello,

Any opinions regarding the new LP’s Half Speed Remastered at Abbey Road, by Miles Showell?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 2, 2021 14:37

marquess
kowalski

Hello,

Any opinions regarding the new LP’s Half Speed Remastered at Abbey Road, by Miles Showell?
As far as I remember those LPs were made from archival DSD transfers. I.e. the source was the same 'digital' as for Japanese SHM-SACDs mentioned above.

Date: May 2, 2021 16:38

ironbelly
Are we talking vinyl or CDs?
Because with CDs there were 4 versions of mastering
1. Old CBS from 1986 mastered by Ted Jensen
2. Virgin from 1993 mastered by Bob Ludwi
3. UM from 2009 brickwalled by Stephen Marcussen
4. Japanese flat transfer from 2011

I did not know these details.

This erudition of some stones fans keeps on amazing me.

Date: May 2, 2021 16:45

They all sound crappy compared to Black n Blue.They should give it to Bob Clearmountain to remix

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: May 2, 2021 16:54

I bought the Japan flat transfer version SHM DSD whatever it is called and it's fine, by me. That being said, I don't care that much about sonics, as long as it sounds organic and there is no loudness-issue, but I'm allergic to mistuned instruments (therefore I don't listen to Ya-Ya's that much...).

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 2, 2021 20:30

I think there were defective pressings in the U.S. I have encountered several copies that skip during the first notes of IORR through the years.

Date: May 2, 2021 21:01

The bass guitar other than Fingerprint File is the worst of any Stones album.

Date: May 2, 2021 21:09

Taylor1
The bass guitar other than Fingerprint File is the worst of any Stones album.

Why?

Date: May 2, 2021 21:46

It’s weak sounding and mixed way down

Date: May 2, 2021 22:25

Taylor1
It’s weak sounding and mixed way down

On my copies (CD, cassette, vinyl) it's prominent in the mix and well-played.

Date: May 2, 2021 23:34

Then why does Black n Blue sound so much better ?Why does a song from that era,Tops, sound better?

Date: May 2, 2021 23:41

Taylor1
Then why does Black n Blue sound so much better ?Why does a song from that era,Tops, sound better?

Better recorded and mixed. I'd say it's as simple as that.

Kimsey did a tremendous job with Tattoo You. The guitar on Slave even sounds like its played through a Mesa Boogie like many of the others (which it wasn't, of course).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-03 11:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 3, 2021 00:36

cimaz
GasLightStreet
Sounds fine to me. It is what it is. The Virgin reissue sounds great. There's no telling for why it sounds flat etc. It's just what they did.

Agree. The Virgin remasters rank among the best among the various releasesof their discography. That's very true for IORR or EOMS.

After getting almost ever version of every album I'm annoyed at myself for not picking up the Virgin releases when they first were released in the early 90s. I have Sticky Fingers in that original form with working zipper, Exile and Emotional Rescue and all sound fabulous. Never did get the rest though and that was clearly a mistake.

Date: May 3, 2021 01:38

I have the Virgin masters of Exile and Tattoo You, Exile because its what I always buy and TY because of the longer version of Slave. So you mean to say these are the best sounding of the Stones cds? Noticeably better than other issues? I might have to pay more attention to these then, never really drew them when I had vinyl handy. Wish I had gotten IORR then because it always had begged for a quality remix or remaster.

jb

Date: May 3, 2021 02:02

The Virgin remasters are probably the best choice if you want to listen to the Stones on CD. Bob Ludwig has managed to keep the original analog sound with a slight bump in the low end for the digital age listeners. At the same time they can sound rather "processed", like the ABKCO 2002 remasters of the 60's catalog. But still a very nicely done work.

The 2011 flat transfers are obviously closer to the original tapes but can sound a little anemic in comparison. They're great if you are after a more audiophile friendly sound.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 3, 2021 10:30

kowalski
The Virgin remasters are probably the best choice if you want to listen to the Stones on CD. Bob Ludwig has managed to keep the original analog sound with a slight bump in the low end for the digital age listeners. At the same time they can sound rather "processed", like the ABKCO 2002 remasters of the 60's catalog. But still a very nicely done work.

The 2011 flat transfers are obviously closer to the original tapes but can sound a little anemic in comparison. They're great if you are after a more audiophile friendly sound.
And you should always add that Virgin remaster is dirt cheap nowadays on the secondary market. Even Collector's Edition can be found reasonably priced on ebay. While for Japanese SHM-CDs (not even SHM-SACDs) you'll need to shell off some $40.

Date: May 3, 2021 12:49

ironbelly
kowalski

And you should always add that Virgin remaster is dirt cheap nowadays on the secondary market. Even Collector's Edition can be found reasonably priced on ebay. While for Japanese SHM-CDs (not even SHM-SACDs) you'll need to shell off some $40.

Absolutely. I remember buying these collector's editions one by one in the mid 90's. The stellar remastering and the extra care put in the packaging was quite the novelty at that time.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home