Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

brian jones meets maharishi in bremen september 1967
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: April 29, 2021 21:11

hi,

never seen that...
[www.youtube.com]

the guy next to him is shepard sherbell

Re: brian jones meets maharishi in bremen september 1967
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 29, 2021 21:45

"Sexy Sadie". He rode the British rock group gravy train for as long as he could.

Date: April 29, 2021 22:04

What kind of Guru are you ?

Date: April 29, 2021 22:34

sexy sadie -

thanks for this information that maharishi is meant.
i know this song from the beatles so long and did not know
the meaning.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 29, 2021 22:40

Interesting. A million questions arise watching this. Was this before the Beatles got hooked up with the maharishi or did they - or should I say George - turn Brian onto the guru? How well known was the maharishi to the world public and or celebrities, etc., in 1967 or prior? Were any of the other Stones caught up in the guru thing?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 29, 2021 23:12

According to Mick and Keith ,Brian was some sort of totally out of it ,drugged out zombie from 1967 who was barely functioning.From this video he looks okay

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 29, 2021 23:27

As I recall it, the Beatles brought the Maharishi to the general public's attention, he was a minor cult figure mostly in his home country until then. Then all the bandwagon jumpers (Mike Love, anyone?) started jumping on the bandwagon. After the Beatles disavowed him, he lost the immediate glare of showbiz, but remained on with his faithful, possibly for a long time afterwards, though I am not sure when he passed away.

I had heard the song Sexy Sadie was about something surrounding that scene but did not know it was about the Maharishi himself.

Soon afterward there were to be hare krishna all over every major airport in the world trying to badger you into donating or buying a flower. Or, they turn vicious and hit you with the flower. And bands of saffron robed devotees crowding many center city streets in major metropolitan areas, all with the same hustle.

Imagine, someone using the Beatles to get some pussy. Amazing.

jb

Date: April 30, 2021 11:18

beatles met him in late august 1967 in bangor ( north-west Wales),

mick and marianne and brian met maharishi in amsterdam in september 1967...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: April 30, 2021 11:30

thomashanck
beatles met him in late august 1967 in bangor ( north-west Wales),

mick and marianne and brian met maharishi in amsterdam in september 1967...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Mick and Marianne were also in Bangor.

And Brian followed the Yogi to Bremen, which was his next stop after Amsterdam.

N

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: April 30, 2021 12:21

That's why I drink Yogi Tee!

It`s nice to be here, .....

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 30, 2021 12:34

As Taylor1 notices, Brian looks okay on this video (late 1967). We also know that the highly corrupt London police were very active trying to nail Mick, Keith and Brian (among others) that same year. Mick and Keith sort of managed to cope with it (even The Times helped them out). Brian with no support from his band mates, and having the wrong people around him, gradually got destroyed (destroyed himself) in that period because he couldn't handle the situation. Even that freaky Maharishi guy was of no use for Brian apart from maybe ripping Brian (and all those others) off.angry smiley

Sad memories sad smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: April 30, 2021 13:18

brian and maharishi flew together from amsterdam to bremen
(plane is klm)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 30, 2021 15:52

"Dear Prudence" was written (as were many of the White Album songs) on the trip to India.

It was about Mia Farrow's sister (Prudence) who stayed indoors a lot.

"Sexy Sadie" is the maharishi. < you've made a fool of everyone........

Brian doesn't look to bad here - a little bagness around the eyes maybe, but we don't hear him speak.

Here's my takeon what he's saying to the maharishi:

"I thought Yogi Bear was gonna be here! Or Yogi Berra. Or even Boo Boo. Keith lied to me again!"

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: April 30, 2021 15:57

Interesting......I also like the background music

Date: April 30, 2021 19:38

>"Sexy Sadie" is the maharishi. < you've made a fool of everyone........

Drawing conclusions like that based on one line in the song is pretty tenuous. Is it documented somewhere that was what the song was about? Because "Sadie", much less "Sexy", are not two words I would associate with the Maharishi, so what the big print giveth, the fine print may indeed taketh away.

jb

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 30, 2021 20:41

jbwelda

Drawing conclusions like that based on one line in the song is pretty tenuous. Is it documented somewhere that was what the song was about? Because "Sadie", much less "Sexy", are not two words I would associate with the Maharishi, so what the big print giveth, the fine print may indeed taketh away.

jb

It’s been pretty well-documented through the years, and from an interview with John, the following: "That was inspired by Maharishi. I wrote it when we had our bags packed and were leaving. It was the last piece I wrote before I left India. I just called him, 'Sexy Sadie,' instead of (sings) 'Maharishi, what have you done, you made a fool...' I was just using the situation to write a song, rather calculatingly but also to express what I felt. I was leaving the Maharishi with a bad taste. You know, it seems that my partings are always not as nice as I'd like them to be."

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 30, 2021 23:51

jbwelda

jb

Pretty common knowledge from several sources.

Your constant air of superiority doesn't make me feel inferior at all.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 1, 2021 00:43

"That’s about the Maharishi, yes. I copped out and I wouldn’t write ‘Maharishi, what have you done? You made a fool of everyone.’
But now it can be told, Fab Listeners". - John Lennon, Rolling Stone, 1970

"John had a song he had started to write which he was singing: ‘Maharishi, what have you done?’ and I said, ‘You can’t say that, it’s ridiculous.’
I came up with the title of ‘Sexy Sadie’ and John changed ‘Maharishi’ to ‘Sexy Sadie’". - George Harrison, Anthology

And then there was nutcase Charles Manson who thought it was written about Susan aka "Sadie Mae' Atkins,
and that the Beatles were speaking directly to him and his murderous followers via the White album......

Date: May 1, 2021 01:05

Elmo Lewis
jbwelda

jb

Pretty common knowledge from several sources.

Your constant air of superiority doesn't make me feel inferior at all.

yeah after I typed that I realized it was pretty common knowledge. Just never really put together the sexy part with some old hindu dude in a robe. I guess tastes differ. Certainly Charlie didn't see it like that.

My constant air of superiority is mainly a figment of your imagination. It must come from a deep feeling of self-inferiority because I do not mean to come across as such. I do however question "knowledge" when it does not make sense. Thank you for allowing me this opportunity.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:06

....dont follow leaders watch the parkin' meters ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 1, 2021 01:08

the pump don't work 'cause the vandals took the handle.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 1, 2021 01:11

.... Yeah thieving bastards ... me horse need a drink ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: May 1, 2021 06:07

look out kid its somethin you did

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home