Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question : Recording Sessions Book
Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: April 28, 2021 21:57

Hello pals - Can any of you recommend a book that covers Rolling Stones recording sessions?

I skimmed through the The Rolling Stones All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track by Phillipe Margotin but saw some pretty silly errors which rendered it useless in my opinion-

I wasn't sure if there was anything out there or not -

Thanks All,

CT

Re: Question : Recording Sessions Book
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 28, 2021 22:35

The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2017 by Martin Elliott - [StonesSessions.com] .

"Hoffmann Recording Index" (Stones Weissbuch/Schwarzbuch) by Dieter Hoffmann - [www.Basement-News.de] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-28 22:50 by Irix.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: April 28, 2021 23:54

The best one is available online for free:

Felix Aeppli - The Ultimate Guide

Aeppli's book "Heart Of Stone" was the first "Stones Bible" listing all recording sessions, releases and media appearances 1962-1985, incl. solo works. He's been constantly updating his database since then.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 29, 2021 00:15

Deiter's great easy ta follow layout ...
Martin Elliott's good too but ya gotta watch that spine .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 29, 2021 00:58

TIRED
The best one is available online for free:

Felix Aeppli - The Ultimate Guide

Aeppli's book "Heart Of Stone" was the first "Stones Bible" listing all recording sessions, releases and media appearances 1962-1985, incl. solo works. He's been constantly updating his database since then.

Was amazed to see that book on dispaly at Foyle's in London in 1992 and even more amazed to bump into an Austrian Stones fan who saw me reading the book, one Phillip B. ;-) I ordered his 1995 book, still have it, and then the CD edition in 2002.

There is of course Nico's great database too with a different presentation : [www.nzentgraf.de]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: April 29, 2021 01:35

you guys are swell - thanks for your help!!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 30, 2021 01:49

Nico's site is most correct and up to date. thumbs up

All of the books mentioned have "silly errors".

In fairness, books are problematic as new info or info unknown to the writer appears after they are published. Some do get updated, but I gave the 50th anniversary Elliott book and others to a charity shop. There's just too many errors in Jones era (my main area/era of interest).

A lot of work involved in such books and they are still good to have for less OCD or picky...

Just keep in mind that the info may be out of date/proven to be wrong etc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-30 02:31 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home