Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Revisiting the 15 Most Controversial Rolling Stones Songs
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 24, 2021 18:55

Little Richard does a great cover of Brown Sugar, as does Otis Redding of Satisfaction, and Albert King of Honky Tonk Women.
Rock'n'Roll.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 24, 2021 20:56

In our today world everything become controversial, so 15 songs only is a good deal smiling smiley

HMN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2021 22:26

..... the dig at Pat Boone in Dream Girls is pretty funny

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 25, 2021 00:33

She is filling column inches for dollars. A whore basically. See how she analyzes that.

You gots to move...thats an insult? Hah.

jb

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 25, 2021 01:24

Doxa
Hmm... yeah. Can't much argue with her, although I love all the songs she mentions, since I have grown up with them, and never thought about them having anything 'wrong', at least much, with them.

Trying to argue with her is doomed to fail - sooner or later. She talks in terms of today and, even more, of tomorrow. Even the idea of explaining like it was all done in a tongue-in-a-cheek or just being humorous. Yeah, it used to be fun, but any longer (so the argument will go and win). Nothing is sadder than a joke no one laughs at, just a case of showing one's weakness in judgment or a bad taste.

That's what my brains tell me, not what my heart says. I'm way too old to really think in different terms that I have used all of my life.

It will be interesting how all of this will be seen and judged in future (and we see a glimpse of that already). I don't think the Stones will have nothing to really worry about as far as their legacy goes - they have done enough of cultural history by now - but it will have a certain 'passed era' feel in them for sure. Like they were children and representation of the times and of the attitudes of those times and one needs a certain historical understanding to enjoy them aesthetically by a whole heart. I mean, people still respect Aristotle, although he thought about the female sex having not a mind capable for a proper intellectual work (lacking essentially a 'rational part of soul'). I don't think we need to worry about if the plague at Dartford railway station will be removed (unless Bill Wyman comes up with some new argument...)

- Doxa

No doubt that she captures the zeitgeist - but the zeitgeist isn't just developing straight forward. Now the munks and nuns - which never ever themselves make the tiniest mistakes - seem to rule once again to our common good of course. What the zeitgeist is five or ten years from now is hard to predict.

Some of the lyrics might be heartfelt, but most are mostly roleplay. Stray Cat Blues is for instance an twisted adult version of a fairy tale like Goldilock and the three bears (Who's been sleeping here - part two, so to say). The song might as well be a warning to parents to keep an eye on their teenage girls who think they know what they are doing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-26 10:33 by GetYerAngie.

Date: April 25, 2021 01:37

Never really liked ... but can someone
play Sonny Boy's - Good Morning Lil School Girl to her ,....

From memory Ten Years After's version was cringier ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 25, 2021 02:00

Why the hostility? You don't have to agree with everything she writes. You do know it's free to interpret the lyrics any way you want? It's not a capital crime...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 25, 2021 02:28

Pat Boone is now selling bath tubs on TV commercials.

Date: April 25, 2021 02:36

Remember ... Father Knows Best ....

Me brother use ta always laugh and say
How come they have kids but sleep in separate single beds ... ???

Those were the days .... Apple pie

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 25, 2021 04:13

the part where she calls him a dick for being sexist is gold.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 25, 2021 12:07

I guess the uncivil society of serial killers will be 'suing' them for 'cultural appropriation' next ............."I'll stick my knife right down your throat, baby it hurts"................eye rolling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-25 12:24 by EddieByword.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 25, 2021 13:28

MadMetaphoricalMax
It's not particularly well written, it's too obtuse and that is revealed from the writer's opening salvo against Brown Sugar - 'despite its clumsy lyrics and blatant fetishization of Black women'- when in fact the lyrics are not in the least clumsy, and the 'fetishization' is not simply of 'black women' but of sex, smack, sado masochism, cunnilungus, power, subjugation and more... ' To write or to sing about these things does not mean promoting or proselytizing them, but of evoking and dramatising them. That's a crucial differentiation the current age of judgmental finger-pointing puritanical commissars of identity politics get wrong, wrong, wrong. They're like the Stasi in blindfolds, with a Mary Whitehouse facemask. What do they DO at night? Trash small businesses in Portland? The rest of it is po-faced hilarious, esp when you get to Short & Curlies, while the 'aural blackface' line is just bullshit. There are valid objections here in terms of personal taste - in which case, fine, don't play the @#$%& songs on your handheld device, but otherwise, I'd suggest these judgments and attitudes will date faster than an Eighties mullet with highlights.

Amen. The writer DO NOT GET IT. It's called Rock n Roll, she oughta try it sometime.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2021 02:34

Stoneage
Why the hostility? You don't have to agree with everything she writes. You do know it's free to interpret the lyrics any way you want? It's not a capital crime...

Always interesting in an odd way to see various writers and critics attacked who dare say anything that might be perceived as a negative by fans.
From sports fans, to movie fans, to fans of various rock and roll groups, the hostile fanaticism from some people is a clear display of fandom at it's weirdest and most extreme.
On the other hand, if it happens to be a 100% glowingly positive article or review, somehow the author is miraculously the greatest writer to ever pick up a pen and paper, and the cheerleaders can rejoice!
As for the Stones, you should know by now that they can do no wrong - never have, and never will! And shame on you if you think otherwise!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 26, 2021 04:07

spikenyc
Not sure if I agree with most of what the writer is saying here?
It was another time but most of these songs still endure the test of time.

[www.insidehook.com]

Ludicrous hand-wringing.

If 'Brown sugar' is written from a personal perspective then while we're at it, we may as well charge Mick with murder as he's the same guy who wrote 'Midnight Rambler'. And dont get me started on 'Sympathy for the Devil'

As for the fake accent on 'You Gotta Move' - why does he not get bashed for the over the top redneck one on 'Far Away Eyes', the Jamaican one on 'Luxury' or whatever Latino one he's trying to pull off on 'Indian Girl' ? Why be selective?

And why is it ok to stereotype American, French, English and Chinese girls in a tongue in cheek way in 'Some Girls' ?

Date: April 26, 2021 08:47

Heck yeah Gazza ..... its usually just
an ignorance of different forms of music ....
Its foreign to their ears so they cant take it in ... ....

Same as those who can the humor of Dear Doctor
Guess they've never heard some ragtime/medicine show stuff .....

Wonder what they'd make of "Buddy Boy" Hawkins - Voice Throwing Blues ...

PS: ... Hope ya doin well over there ... Stay safe

ROCKMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 26, 2021 10:48

Does anybody remember the group of religious fanatics that used to distribute booklets before stones concerts to warn you how dangerous to the soul that devil's music was?

C

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 26, 2021 11:03

Gazza - I did bash him for Luxury earlier in this thread smiling smiley)

JBWelda - You called this journalist a whore because she gets paid for writing. Did you mean to suggest that any woman doing her job is a whore? I hope not...

Date: April 26, 2021 14:29

Anything Jagger has sung in a cod-Jamaican accent pales against Sting and The Police's unbeatable Wackin on de Mon....

The major issue with finger-wagging, call-out pieces like this is their appalling literalism. Jagger sang *this* about *that* so he/The Stones must be *this*. It's a formulae of stupid that is near universal as clickbait. One thinks of a shit that won't flush. Just close the lid and walk away ... turd on the run.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 26, 2021 15:08

liddas
Does anybody remember the group of religious fanatics that used to distribute booklets before stones concerts to warn you how dangerous to the soul that devil's music was?

C

I had some feminist hand me a leaflet condemning "Under My Thumb" among others, as I was entering my 1st Stones show in 1981.

I kindly said, "You gave this to the wrong person."

Then the show opened with UMT!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: April 26, 2021 21:03

The irony in all of this is that she must be some level of "stones fan" to know about these many years of songs in the first place..

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 26, 2021 21:31

WorriedAboutYou
Sweet Black Angel and When The Whip Comes Down not included is a surprise.

The stuff about cultural appropriation just made her look uneducated about the roots of music.

I figured anything w/ N-Bomb or F-Bomb (not F*ck...the other one) automatically made the list....

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 26, 2021 23:09

liddas

C

It's still a thing. In 2018 I received not only a leaflet, rather a whole book after the show and I must say I appreciate the effort to save my soul so I kept it as an additional souvenir.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 26, 2021 23:41

Brown Sugar is a great lyric and it's a waste of time to explain why.
The whole piece is ridiculous.
One of the reasons kids listen to rap and hip hop these days is that every topic is fair game. There's no self-censorship, like there is with the Stones and other white acts.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: April 27, 2021 00:05

Woke me when it's over. I'm tired of seeing articles like this.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2021 02:46

Nikkei
liddas

C

It's still a thing. In 2018 I received not only a leaflet, rather a whole book after the show and I must say I appreciate the effort to save my soul so I kept it as an additional souvenir.

I was given a comic-book sized pamphlet outside a Dylan concert several years ago that had nice drawings of Bob, and images depicting some of his song titles - it all seemed very cool upon first glance.
But then briefly looking a bit deeper in to the actual text, there were ramblings trying to correlate Dylans lyrics with some form of new age Christianity and Astrology, as if Bob was a messenger sent from another universe.
I know there's many diehard Dylan fans, but this took it to another level...Bob the chosen one...the savior...here to save us all. I still have it stashed amongst ticket stubs, concert clippings, etc. as it's quite a unique souvenir!

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 28, 2021 18:57

liddas

C

Yup, they are still around in the USA.
Saw some in Jacksonville 2019. Before and after the show.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: April 28, 2021 22:24

I work at a record shop and put on "Sticky Fingers" the other day - I could tell as soon as "Brown Sugar" started -even with the mask - that this one angry looking, chubby person (that usually never buys anything) was going to say something - which she did - I politely welcomed her to leave if she didn't want to hear it - which surprised her as a lot of these people think they can make silly demands and people will abide-

The best part is another customer bought a new copy of the album - she had never heard it but the jam section of "Cant You hear me Knockin" sold her on it - and she was a person of color who normally buys jazz & Prince records-

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 28, 2021 22:28

cowboytoast
I work at a record shop and put on "Sticky Fingers" the other day - I could tell as soon as "Brown Sugar" started -even with the mask - that this one angry looking, chubby person (that usually never buys anything) was going to say something - which she did - I politely welcomed her to leave if she didn't want to hear it - which surprised her as a lot of these people think they can make silly demands and people will abide-

The best part is another customer bought a new copy of the album - she had never heard it but the jam section of "Cant You hear me Knockin" sold her on it - and she was a person of color who normally buys jazz & Prince records-

Was the ‘chubby girl’ white by any chance?

It’s all pretty nauseating now, quite honestly!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home