Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT-Van Morrsion-Love Should Come With A Warning
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: May 9, 2021 10:26

Great to see an artist at this age this creative.
Van is entitled to have an opinion just as all pro lockdown supporters have theirs.
At the end of the day he is concerned about the future of the music industry, it's not a selfish concern at his age and wealth, it's a concern for all music lovers that love live music events.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 9, 2021 12:17

Anyway it's a strange concept. An opinion album. It would be easier if he just published his opinions on his web page or something...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 9, 2021 12:46

gostonesforever
New from Van the Man! This really made my day. Probably my favorite new Van tune since his last new tune. So cool...enjoy, peace & stay safe.

Great. Love Van, but no entirely sure I like the female vocals in the chorus. Bit brash. Oh though, that The Stones could/would record something. Ah well…

Rod

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 9, 2021 13:39

Haha, that Guardian one is the best written - and funniest - review I have read for a long time. They still do those sometimes, seemingly. Nothing sort of 'isn't wonderful that our old Uncle Van is still so creative' freepass bullshit that is typical when old legends like him are discussed.

But at the same, all kudos to Van Morrison for actually putting all his old man's frustration and bitterness into form of music, and not, supposedly, giving a shit how ridiculous and strenuous he ends up sounding like (the neighbour's divorced, drunken Brian is a spot on analogy, we surely all know people like that). Surely, there are diehard fans for whom any fart of his will do, and be hailed, and of course, all the home-grown conspiracy theorists need their spokesman. But thankfully, it's only music - I don't need to listen that (escaping Brian is much more difficult). But neither any of that prevents my enjoyment of listening ASTRAL WEEKS. Thankfully also that Van's new album doesn't contain anything musically worth remembering at least to me (that is by ruined or lost by some terrible lyrical rant). I am with that reviewer that anything distinctive - that justifies its release - is the lyrical content - there's the artistic statement and inspiration, otherwise pretty mediocre stuff. It stands or falls with that.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-09 13:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2021 23:47

Sir Van the Man is having some success on the UK Charts:

"Veteran Northern Irish artist Van Morrison rounds out the Top 5 with Latest Record Project, Volume 1 (BMG).
If it holds its ground, Latest Record Project will give Morrison a 16th Top 10"

Sir Van the Man Morrison

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: May 14, 2021 05:38

Another great release by Van. If it was a anti Trump, pro Fauci release the woke liberal media would be praising it as a landmark release. Personally I don’t get the anti mask crowd, but respect that our opinions can differ. I’m all about the music, rather than the musician. People can vote with their wallets.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 14, 2021 06:50

Van Morrison should come with a warning.

Posted by: Ali ()
Date: June 11, 2021 23:00

I'm so disappointed in him.

"Robin Swann is very dangerous" Search and be prepared for sorrow.

I was so looking forward to seeing him at a local festival last year.
If he turns up for the rearranged date, I'm not sure that I'd wish to take in his set.
As someone who has followed his music for decades, I feel a great sadness for him.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 11, 2021 23:19

I read somewhere his new single is called Gain of Function.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 11, 2021 23:19

Ali
I'm so disappointed in him.

"Robin Swann is very dangerous" Search and be prepared for sorrow.

I was so looking forward to seeing him at a local festival last year.
If he turns up for the rearranged date, I'm not sure that I'd wish to take in his set.
As someone who has followed his music for decades, I feel a great sadness for him.

Same sad smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 12, 2021 00:52

Watch the video and tell me this guy isn’t unhinged.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 12, 2021 01:04

Unhinged.
Sad. So glad I saw him perform before he lost his gd mind, or at least before I was aware of it. Jeezus.

Van Morrison chants “Robin Swann is dangerous” during bizarre anti-lockdown rant
The musician took aim at Northern Ireland's Health Minister after four gigs he was due to play in Belfast got cancelled at the last minute

Van Morrison called Northern Ireland’s Health Minister Robin Swann “very dangerous” during an anti-lockdown rant in Belfast last night (June 10).
The musician was due to perform four gigs at the city’s Europa Hotel, but the shows were called off at the last minute.

Current coronavirus regulations in Northern Ireland mean that live music is not permitted in either licensed or unlicensed hospitality venues. The Europa Hotel had hoped the gigs would be classed as test events but were advised by the Executive Office to call them off.

Van Morrison, who has been outspoken on his views about the pandemic restrictions and lockdown measures, addressed a crowd who were meant to attend the first concert at a pre-show dinner event.

Referring to Swann’s previous comments that Van Morrison’s anti-lockdown songs are “dangerous”, the musician said: “Well, if I can’t affect any change in this situation, I don’t have any power or my power is very limited to change this situation.

“Robin Swann has got all the power. He’s keeping in this for over 15 months. All I have to say is if I don’t have any power – and my power is extremely limited, if at all – Robin Swann’s got all the power. So I’d say Robin Swann is very dangerous.”

He then began chanting “Robin Swann is very dangerous” repeatedly, as members of the audience cheered and clapped. Van Morrison then called Democratic Unionist Party MP Ian Paisley on stage to join in the chant.

Swann is a member of the Ulster Unionist Party and their leader Doug Beattie responded to the rant. “Having watched the video of Ian Paisley and Van Morrison’s antics on the stage of the Europa Hotel in Belfast, I am absolutely disgusted by what I saw,” he told the BBC.

“They should be ashamed of themselves. Two grown men who should know better, engaging in a very personal attack on Northern Ireland’s health minister.”

Beattie added that Swann had “worked tirelessly during the COVID-19 pandemic to save lives” and described Van Morrison’s attack as “appalling”.

Van Morrison has protested coronavirus restrictions on several anti-lockdown songs in recent months, the latest of which featured Eric Clapton. He has also called socially distanced gigs “pseudo-science”, urging other musicians and promoters to “speak up”.
[www.nme.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 12, 2021 01:17

The title of this thread should be changed to Van Morrison should come with a Warning.

I realize that maybe he was just pissed that his gigs were cancelled, but losing it in front of an audience, and blaming his health minister when every other jurisdiction in the world is grappling with the same issue...he's either completely clueless or is so completely self-centred he can't see it's affecting everyone, not just him.

Anyway, hard to see someone I've enjoyed for over 35 years unravel like that.

Date: June 12, 2021 01:34

"He then began chanting “Robin Swann is very dangerous” repeatedly, as members of the audience cheered and clapped.
Van Morrison then called Democratic Unionist Party MP Ian Paisley on stage to join in the chant".

Crazy, and also crazy that there's some politicians and fans of his that feel the same way....cheering and clapping and joining the chant?

Date: June 16, 2021 03:53

For those interested, from Ultimate Classic Rock:

Sir Van the Man

Van Morrison has announced a series of U.S. tour dates that will commence on Sept. 25 in Greenwood Village, Colo., travel down the California coast and then finish
with three shows at Las Vegas' the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in February next year.

The tour will follow the release of Morrison's most recent album, 2020's Latest Record Project: Volume 1, a collection of songs written largely in lockdown.

Van Morrison U.S. Tour 2021-22
Sept. 25 - Greenwood Village, CO @ Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre
Sept. 28 – Napa, CA @ Oxbow RiverStage
Sept. 30 – Berkeley, CA @ The Greek Theatre at UC Berkeley
Oct. 2 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
Oct. 3 – Santa Barbara, CA @ Santa Barbara Bowl
Oct. 5 – San Diego, CA @ Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre
Feb. 12 – Hollywood, FL @ Hard Rock
Feb. 14 – Clearwater, FL @ Ruth Eckard Hall
Feb. 15 – Clearwater, FL @ Ruth Eckard Hall
Feb. 18 – Las Vegas, NV @ The Coliseum at Caesar’s Palace
Feb. 19 – Las Vegas, NV @ The Coliseum at Caesar’s Palace
Feb. 20 – Las Vegas, NV @ The Coliseum at Caesar’s Palace

*I heard Taj Majal will be opening at the Santa Barbara Bowl, though not sure if he's opening for all dates.
I've seen them both separately on several occasions, and I imagine seeing them together would make for an interesting experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-16 03:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 17, 2021 04:58

Van overstayed his career a long time ago.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 17, 2021 00:55

Having seen all the Van Morrison love on this board, I'm posting this show. Apologies if it was posted previously (which is possible, because Van is so popular here). Cool show.

Date: July 17, 2021 04:24

buffalo7478

he has his problems, but I like the new album.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: July 17, 2021 06:09

Van & the DUP can f**k off.

Date: July 17, 2021 07:16

bleedingman
Having seen all the Van Morrison love on this board, I'm posting this show. Apologies if it was posted previously (which is possible, because Van is so popular here). Cool show.

Excellent. thumbs up

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 18, 2021 19:54

gostonesforever
New from Van the Man! This really made my day. Probably my favorite new Van tune since his last new tune. So cool...enjoy, peace & stay safe.

Speechless except for thank you.
Total genuis. Totally Vital as ever.
Just amazing. Wow

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 19, 2021 04:32

buffalo7478

...stated by someone that hasn't listened to his stuff in a long time, no doubt. Ye hath missed some great music. Prophet and Three Chords are recent albums that each have at least 4 or 5 really good songs on them.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 30, 2021 08:19

Hairball
For those interested, from Ultimate Classic Rock:

Sir Van the Man

Van Morrison has announced a series of U.S. tour dates that will commence on Sept. 25 in Greenwood Village, Colo., travel down the California coast and then finish
with three shows at Las Vegas' the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in February next year.

The tour will follow the release of Morrison's most recent album, 2020's Latest Record Project: Volume 1, a collection of songs written largely in lockdown.

Van Morrison U.S. Tour 2021-22
Sept. 25 - Greenwood Village, CO @ Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre
Sept. 28 – Napa, CA @ Oxbow RiverStage
Sept. 30 – Berkeley, CA @ The Greek Theatre at UC Berkeley
Oct. 2 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
Oct. 3 – Santa Barbara, CA @ Santa Barbara Bowl
Oct. 5 – San Diego, CA @ Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre
Feb. 12 – Hollywood, FL @ Hard Rock
Feb. 14 – Clearwater, FL @ Ruth Eckard Hall
Feb. 15 – Clearwater, FL @ Ruth Eckard Hall
Feb. 18 – Las Vegas, NV @ The Coliseum at Caesar’s Palace
Feb. 19 – Las Vegas, NV @ The Coliseum at Caesar’s Palace
Feb. 20 – Las Vegas, NV @ The Coliseum at Caesar’s Palace

*I heard Taj Majal will be opening at the Santa Barbara Bowl, though not sure if he's opening for all dates.
I've seen them both separately on several occasions, and I imagine seeing them together would make for an interesting experience.

The Man.
I adore this guy since Them.
I saw him ONCE when No Guru No Method No Teacher came out.
i think it was the Universal Amphitheater in L.A. ...
about that many thousands anyway.
I'm just a stone gone Van fan. I was in tears frankly.
It was a birthday present from my girlfriend back then who has passed away last year.
I love Van Morrison since I was a little boy and I'm 70.
thanks Hairball, that's an Incredible picture i never saw!!

For the "No Guru" LP, he had Jeff Labes back on piano; and other guys from
His Band And Street Choir days going back to Moondance and into
"It's Too Late To Stop Now" one of the most incredible live records that i've ever heard.
He ALWLAYS has a good band but i was very lucky to get a lot of his original players Live for the No Guru, No Method Tour.
it's got some incredible performances if you have yet to hear it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-30 08:24 by hopkins.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: July 30, 2021 08:30

I'm a very casual fan, so it's funny: I'd love a warhorse setlist from Van Morrison (or Neil Young, for that matter) and a more daring/contemporary/deep-cuts setlist from the Stones. I'm not the ideal audience member here!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 30, 2021 11:22

I am a long-time Van fan, and besides some well-known classic tracks some of my favourite songs are obscure ones which he never ever performed live:

[www.youtube.com]
(official version)

[www.youtube.com]
(demo)

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

So if you want to escape the Covid discussion try these songs...

Date: July 31, 2021 01:02

Hairball
Reading some mixed reviews which is understandable based on some of the themes on a few tunes, but generally seems to be garnering more praise than negativity.
Whatever the case, glad Van's still around and putting out new and original material.

Review: Van Morrison Shows Reverence for Musical Traditions on ‘Latest Record Project’

VAN MORRISON/LATEST RECORD PROJECT/(Exile/BMG)
4.5 of 5 stars

"This Latest might not be his greatest, but in many ways it clearly comes close".

Sir Van

Known as both a chameleon and a curmudgeon, at age 75, Van Morrison shows no sign of slowing down. A Woodstock rambler, a bluesy balladeer, a Celtic soul singer, a country crooner, he’s continued to carve his own creative niche over the course of his 55-year career. More recently, he’s played the role of a revivalist of sorts, one seemingly content to pay due reverence to earlier musical traditions, mostly of the classic blues and jazz variety.

Consequently many Van fans have continued to harbor the hope that the so-called Belfast Cowboy will find a new surge of inspiration and come up with a work comparable to earlier albums like Astral Weeks, Tupelo Honey, Moondance, or the other immortal efforts that helped define his indelible persona. For those who hope for a definitive return to form ought to find some sort of consolation with his latest offering, a sprawling set of signature style songs—28 in all—that take their cue from blues, rock, jazz, R&B, and the other traditional templates Morrison’s shared over the course of his career. Rather than simply sharing standards, the new album finds him using those formats as leaping-off points for more melodic intents.

The result is a series of singular songs as distinctive as his earlier efforts. Indeed, “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished,” “Tried To Do The Right Thing,” “Duper’s Delight,” and “My Time After Awhile” rank among Van’s best offerings of the past 30 years, with his rich, robust vocals still in fine form. Recorded while in lockdown, the album finds Morrison railing on any number of current cultural contradictions—life in isolation as described via the desultory “Deadbeat Saturday Night,” the overwhelming influence of social media decried in “Why Are You On Facebook?” or his insistence to “put up or shut up” on “Stop Bitching, Do Something.”

Some 42 albums on, Morrison remains as emphatic as ever. This Latest might not be his greatest, but in many ways it clearly comes close.

Just gotta say that I bought this on vinyl and oh my...what a good album. Highly recommend. I know the lyrics on a couple of the songs are sketch but if you can ignore that you're well rewarded.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: April 13, 2022 12:31

New album due in a month time!

[vanmorrison.lnk.to]

Looking forward to this one, first and foremost for musical reasons, but as well to the reactions of people condemning certain lyrics grinning smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 13, 2022 21:21

calipachangero
New album due in a month time!

[vanmorrison.lnk.to]

Looking forward to this one, first and foremost for musical reasons, but as well to the reactions of people condemning certain lyrics grinning smiley

Good info! ... and funny to see, in the end Van was more correct than most on here - masks were pointless (cloth ones anyway) and there should never have been a lockdown!

Go Van, can't wait to hear the new stuff, he's been extremely prolific!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 13, 2022 21:27

cyclist
I'm a very casual fan, so it's funny: I'd love a warhorse setlist from Van Morrison (or Neil Young, for that matter) and a more daring/contemporary/deep-cuts setlist from the Stones. I'm not the ideal audience member here!

I would also like that from those guys, but unfortunately if Neil does a set of warhorses and he's NOT into it, you'll know and it won't be a good show. Lou Reed was a very similar case. If you want the hits and he's not into it, its a letdown. There are a lot of shows I've seen where I didn't like it in the moment cause it wasn't what I expected, but later and with the help of hindsight I actually really enjoyed them because of how much the artist was into what they were trying to present. Its a tricky line though and unfortunate but the band has to be into whatever they're playing.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 13, 2022 22:01

Not bad at all, as soon as it was over I played it again. Vans solo stuff bugged me a bit over the years, as I get older it’s grown on me. The 2 Them albums are essential.

I love music, but musicians are just that. Lemmy may be the only musician I listened to as a young guy who’s views I agreed with. I’m not expecting coherent opinions form Junkies & Boozers. They’re free to express their opinions and I’m free to not pay attention.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home