Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Music-Docuseries by Apple - "1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything"
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 23, 2021 22:45

8-part docuseries premiered 21-May-2021 on Apple TV+. Direct Link: [TV.Apple.com] .

On 23-Apr-2021 Apple announced “1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything” - a new 8-part docuseries that will explore the musicians and soundtracks that shaped the culture and politics of 1971.

An immersive, deep-dive rich with archival footage and interviews, “1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything”, will show how the musical icons of the time were influenced by the changing tides of history; and, in turn, how they used their music to inspire hope, change and the culture around them. The docuseries will examine the most iconic artists and songs that we still listen to 50 years later, including The Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, The Who, Joni Mitchell, Lou Reed and more.

Hailing from Universal Music Group’s (UMG) Mercury Studios in association with On The Corner Films, Asif Kapadia will serve as series director and will executive produce alongside James Gay-Rees, David Joseph and UMG’s Adam Barker. Chris King serves as editor and executive producer. Danielle Peck is series producer and directs alongside James Rogan. Press-release: [www.Apple.com] .

Trailer:

[www.YouTube.com]

[iorr.org] , [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 12:25 by Irix.

Re: Music-Docuseries by Apple - "1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything"
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 24, 2021 15:28

-Looks great. -Fits with my own frame of mind.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 24, 2021 16:08

Awesome. My favorite year in Rock and Roll. And that’s not an easy decision considering how much treasure there is spread out through the years.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: April 24, 2021 17:08

The end of the hippies

Date: April 25, 2021 12:45

Apple TV Plus to Explore Peak Year for Rock and R&B in ‘1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything’ Docu-Series

By Chris Willman · Apr 23, 2021 7:38pm PT

George Harrison & Ravi Shankar, 1971

When debates are had about what year in history represented popular music’s peak, the argument is often made for 1971. Apple TV Plus clearly gives some credence to that belief. The platform has announced imminent plans to premiere “1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything,” an eight-episode documentary series dedicated to using archival footage and vintage and fresh interviews to explore why rock ‘n’ roll and R&B reached maximum vitality during that politically fraught time.

The series, which bows May 21, comes from a filmmaking team that includes principals who worked together on such previous film documentaries as “Amy” (about the late Amy Winehouse), “Exit Through the Gift Shop” and “Senna.”

“1971” has the luxuriant running time to hit upon many if not most of the inordinate number of masterpieces that came out that year, from the Who’s “Who’s Next” to Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Goin’ On.” It also has a heavy emphasis on the socio-political climate that made much of this music possible or necessary.

Asif Kapadia is the show’s series director, and takes an executive producer role along with James Gay-Rees, David Joseph and Universal Music Group’s Adam Barker. Chris King, the series’ editor, is also an executive producer. Danielle Peck served as series producer, and she and James Rogan split directing duties for the eight episodes.

The series has its basis in a book, “1971: Never a Dull Moment”, by David Hepworth.

Says Gay-Rees, “When we first engaged with David Hepworth, who wrote the book, I remember sitting in a room with him as he gave me the context of what was happening socially and politically that year, alongside which albums were coming out that year. And, like a lot of people, I’m a massive fan of some of the artists we feature in the series. But it was a slightly jaw-dropping moment, because the list just seemed to never end, and I couldn’t believe that all those records came out of that one year. I mean, some of these months alone are kind of iconic moments for music.

“Also, having made a lot of archive films,” Gay-Rees adds, “I got very excited very quickly about how good the archive (footage) would look, because for me, for my personal tastes, it’s the peak moment in fashion as well,/It’s the end of the ‘60s, and it’s before the ‘70s gets too kind of garish. It’s a brilliant sort of tipping point in fashion as well. If you’ve made as many archive films as Chris (King) and I have, you start thinking, God, this could be a real sort of gold rush here.”

“And then it became very apparent to us that there just were a lot of ideas that are still very resonant today that we thought would be really worthy of investigation. And this wonderful interplay between the music and the society of the time, and thinking. Why then? Why did music respond so vividly to what was going on in the world then, (to the point that) the music did in fact impact society, as well as society impacting music? I don’t think that’s happened in quite that same way since then. So we thought it was very worthwhile to shine a light on what that chemistry was.”

Music stories covered in the series range from “The Concert for Bangladesh” (featuring George Harrison and Ravi Shankar, pictured above) to key moments for stars like Aretha Franklin, who had her music of the period featured in a recent mini-series.

“1971” will expand its focus to include artists who found greater stardom or impact later but were having some deeply seminal moments during that year, from Elton John (who was interviewed for the series) to David Bowie, who can be heard over the opening credits saying: “We were creating the 21st century in 1971.” -- [Variety.com] .

Date: April 25, 2021 13:15

The Book: "Never a Dull Moment: 1971 The Year That Rock Exploded" by David Hepworth - [www.Amazon.com] .

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: April 25, 2021 14:17

I take it that if you do not use, have, or subscribe to ANY Apple products, then you might as well forget about this?

Date: April 25, 2021 16:00

Chacho

I take it that if you do not use, have, or subscribe to ANY Apple products, then you might as well forget about this?

It's also available on other devices than Apple. All the ways to watch Apple TV+: [Support.Apple.com] , MS Windows & MS Surface, Chrome & Firefox Browser as well as Android devices: [Support.Apple.com] .

Date: April 25, 2021 16:41

Irix

The Book: "Never a Dull Moment: 1971 The Year That Rock Exploded" by David Hepworth - [www.Amazon.com] .

I`d rather connect that picture to 1972 than 1971. Stricktly speaking it`s from Nelcote where the 1972 album "Exile on Main Street" was recorded.

Date: April 25, 2021 17:25

noughties

I`d rather connect that picture to 1972 than 1971.

EOMS was released 26-May-1972 and the recording in Nellcôte was May (first rehearsal), July, Oct./Nov. 1971, but Keith left Nellcôte in Nov. 1971 - [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] , [NZentgraf.de] , [www.TheGuardian.com] .

"Dominique Tarle’s wonderfully evocative 1971 Exile sessions at Villa Nellcote have a deserved mythical status among Stones collectors. This is, perhaps, the most iconic and recognisable photograph in the collection. Keith is reclining on the floor with his Telecaster surrounded by Anita Pallenberg, Gram Parsons and Gram’s girlfriend at the time, Gretchen Burell." - [www.SnapGalleries.com] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-25 18:25 by Irix.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 25, 2021 20:26

longlongwinter - "The end of the hippies".

They were ended long before. The Summer Of Love - 1967 - was more or less their high point and end. This was when corporate America discovered it really could make tons of money selling the counterculture to American youth and over the next few years did so. This was when many young people in America, the world, wanted to go to San Francisco and wear flowers in their hair. The outward manifestations of the hippie movement - clothes, hair, love beads, etc., was co-opted, incorporated by the establishment. American youth lapped it up. As I noted to my then girlfriend back then, as we were waiting in line for a movie, there was nothing like conformity disguised a nonconformity as I looked around us and saw a sea of fringe leather jackets, love beads, granny glasses, long hair and so forth. Every generation has its looks and moment. My great grandmothers and great aunts, who found my generation a bit odd, had their moment of oddness when they were flappers back in the 1920s and there's pictures to prove it.

Much of stuff from the Summer of Love forward led to 1971. Look at it as the foundation of what was to come. Regarding the hippie movement, it's laughed at or lambasted/mocked now, but that's because it's associated with the popular counter culture manifestation of it. The original movement was something different, an alternative to white bread America and a consumerist society. This is the hippie movement and its ideals I find still guides some of my approach to living/life.

Date: April 26, 2021 00:47

I`m not sure the most thorough analysis is the most true. It was what it was, superficial as it may be. In remote areas of Scandinavia, you could see teddyboys, early Beatles style, as late as late 60s. Long hairs didn`t appear before late 1970. -Oh, and first time I saw someone wearing dye-tye t-shirts was in the summer of 1970. Large areas of the population were still living in the 50s, wearing hats.

If you were really out of touch, you could happen to call the punks of the late 70s, "hippies".

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 26, 2021 17:43

noughties
Irix

I`d rather connect that picture to 1972 than 1971. Stricktly speaking it`s from Nelcote where the 1972 album "Exile on Main Street" was recorded.

"Strictly speaking", Nellcote recordings were in 1971.

Date: May 12, 2021 15:20

Trailer added in the 1st post. A short article about the Docuseries by [www.RollingStone.com] .

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 12, 2021 15:24

longlongwinter
The end of the hippies

Many think Altamont was the turning point of that.

Date: May 21, 2021 13:00

All 8 parts (ca. 45 mins each) available now - [TV.Apple.com] .

You can also switch to your country/language in the lower right corner (scroll down) of the AppleTV+ website.

An article about the docuseries by [www.HollywoodReporter.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-21 13:30 by Irix.

Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: May 21, 2021 13:25

looking forward to seeing how they slot the osmonds into that line up...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 21, 2021 20:05

kovach
longlongwinter
The end of the hippies

Many think Altamont was the turning point of that.

All who think that are revisionist historians. Death of hippie was many years earlier, by Altamont it was political revolution and not much peace and love. Especially out there in the greasy east bay, way more motorcycles than flowers in the hair. Thats one reason it was foolish to think something good would come out of that mess. That said, had a great time there myself, but I had always been able to be flexible and sensible enuff not to fool with the 81 crowd.

I wonder how many times one has to suffer through "American Pie" in this latest attempt to co-opt everything good.

jb

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: May 22, 2021 01:34

I've yet to see the full documentary, but the two Stones clips in the trailer look to be from the 'Dallas Rehearsals' at Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio. I assume it was shot by Robert Frank?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 22, 2021 05:43

Some Exile content in episode two. thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2021 09:55

I changed from shoes ta cuban heeled boots around 71 ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: May 23, 2021 05:55

Wow. Just watched Ep2...lots of unseen Stones footage...Mick singing Stop Breaking Down looked to be he was sitting in someone's office or library? Nellcote footage, all kinds of footage from the period mixed in with what we've all seen before but what I hadn't seen made me hungry for more.

Date: May 23, 2021 16:09

I've watched most of the episodes now, and a lot of it is really great. Just reviewed it for The Arts Desk - link below - I'd say it has two flaws - almost completely American-based, when the UK scene was central to the music culture of 71, and perhaps making too much of the links between social issues and the music. The music was bigger than the contexts, and gave its fans transport out of those contexts and conflicts, and that's why it's still heard loud and clear 50 years on, and why the social issues of 71 are pretty much the same as in 2021, while the music is nothing at all like. Some things just can't be repeated, and the rock n roll years is one of em.
Highly recommended, though...

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music-tv/1971-apple-tv-review-rocknrolls-golden-year

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 23, 2021 19:48

How many times have you heard bye bye miss amerikkkan pie in the soundtrack so far?

jb

Date: May 24, 2021 12:16

None thank god. I hate that song. But still three to watch...

Date: May 24, 2021 20:49

Here's the Stones' footage from Episode 2. I did it from my iphone so you need to turn it up. Video is ''private'' and may get taken down due to copywrite shite but here is link:sorry they took it down. Corporate Rock still sucks

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-25 02:15 by quietbeatle.

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: May 24, 2021 21:11

After seeing Episode 2, my first guess regarding the footage is that the shots of the whole band playing in the studio is from the Dallas rehearsals, and the shot of Mick playing 'Stop Breaking Down' is at the house they were renting in LA just prior to the start of the 72 tour - if you watch CS Blues and look at the scene where Mick and Keith are being interviewed, it looks like the same place to me. 'Promotone BV' is mentioned in the end credits, so I imagine both of these clips came from Robert Frank's material.

Date: May 24, 2021 21:20

sounds right to me

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2021 23:27

No one year changed everything, but 1956 is popular musics/modern cultures big bang.

Where b&w cultures combine and clash with reverberations which continue to the present day.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 25, 2021 00:18

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home