Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Black And Blue released 45 years ago today
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 25, 2021 12:38

DandelionPowderman
Hot Stuff 10/10
Hand Of Fate 8/10
Cherry Oh Baby 7/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 8/10
Melody 10/10
Fool To Cry 10/10
Crazy Mama 5/10

I completely agree with you – if you deduct 5 points for each an every song…

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: April 25, 2021 14:00

slewan
DandelionPowderman
Hot Stuff 10/10
Hand Of Fate 8/10
Cherry Oh Baby 7/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 8/10
Melody 10/10
Fool To Cry 10/10
Crazy Mama 5/10

Agree with you. Musically and on stage 1976 isn't their best year.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 25, 2021 14:15

DandelionPowderman
Hot Stuff 10/10
Hand Of Fate 8/10
Cherry Oh Baby 7/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 8/10
Melody 10/10
Fool To Cry 10/10
Crazy Mama 5/10

Black and Blue 10/10

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 25, 2021 14:49

Have loved this one since first listening. 1994, beginning of my fandom, purchased the albums 1968-1972, followed by GHS on vinyl, then Black and Blue. That wonderful album cover, to the exotic sounds contained - hard funk, reggae, soul, jazz, and cool, spare rock'n'roll.

Love every track on it, even Cherry Oh Baby. I recall reading material on some of the albums' admirers: Izzy Stradlin, Steven Tyler, Nikki Sixx..etc.

From the slightly jaded classic rock of IORR, Black and Blue heralded a change. Funk, dance, reggae, new wave, disco, on the run of albums from 1976-1983 (studio albums, wealth of bootlegs, and Sucking in the Seventies). A run I love as much as the '68-'73 material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-25 14:53 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: April 25, 2021 15:24

in 1976 I was 18 and have already seen the Stones 2 times,saw both shows in Boston in 1975,I got the lp Black and Blue the day it went on sale,when I was paying for it I a asked the salesperson what they would do with the poster of of the lp, the one with the girl who is all black and blue,and she took it off the wall and gave it to me,I still have it.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: April 25, 2021 17:34

switchblade1975
in 1976 I was 18 and have already seen the Stones 2 times,saw both shows in Boston in 1975,I got the lp Black and Blue the day it went on sale,when I was paying for it I a asked the salesperson what they would do with the poster of of the lp, the one with the girl who is all black and blue,and she took it off the wall and gave it to me,I still have it.

In 1976 I was 19 and I'd seen the band in Cleveland the year before. I still have the 15 minute silent super-8 that I shot near the stage.
I was a freshman at Colorado State University and I rode my bike to the "Finest Record Store" in Ft. Collins the minute they opened up and the record clerk said he had the new Stones album and I watched him open the shipping box (I think the box held 25 LP's) and I'll never forget seeing the LP cover - Mick and Keith looking so awesome - sort of punky for the time....it was such cool cover art, I was thrilled.
Took the LP back to my dorm room and I drove my roommates nuts, blaring the record non-stop for weeks on end. Loved it then, love it now.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2021 21:11

cimaz
slewan
DandelionPowderman
Hot Stuff 10/10
Hand Of Fate 8/10
Cherry Oh Baby 7/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 8/10
Melody 10/10
Fool To Cry 10/10
Crazy Mama 5/10

Agree with you. Musically and on stage 1976 isn't their best year.

I remember in 1976 as a 13 yr. old in Jr. High school in Santa Monica, and the Stones were considered pretty much over the hill and nearly out to pasture by just about everyone in my age group.
The album was generally weak, and didn't get hardly any attention, though I do recall Hot Stuff being played occasionally on the radio...they truly were dinosaurs on the brink of extinction.
Thankfully they bounced back BIG time with Some Girls. The entire album was well received, many tracks were played constantly on the radio, and it became a main component of the soundtrack
to the summer of '78 for me and probably everyone else in my area. Even all of the young local High school party bands added several Some Girls tunes to their setlists...Miss You, Beast of Burden,
and the faster punkier tunes such as Lies and When the Whip Comes Down - there was no escaping Some girls even if you tried. By then Black and Blue was a relic of the distant past, and for the most part forgotten.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: April 25, 2021 22:40

GhostTown2021
TIRED
slewan

where did they record this video? (there's advertisement in German ('Nordstern Versicherungen')in the back (at 1:40))

the four videos were shot in Ostseehalle Kiel, May 1st 1976 - the day before the concert in the same venue, all directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg

I've read before it was Frankfurt's festhalle, the first stop on the tour. But maybe the Nordstern advertisement indeed points to Kiel. Do you you have any more info on this? Not that I'm doubting, just interested.

See Felix Aeppli: TUG1974-1977Up.pdf

I just checked - Lindsay-Hogg was not the director of the Black&Blue videos, the other infos are correct.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 25, 2021 23:08

Hot Stuff 11/10
Hand Of Fate 10/10
Cherry Oh Baby 10/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 11/10
Melody 10/10
Fool To Cry 10/10
Crazy Mama 11/10

Black & Blue is awsome

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 25, 2021 23:13

Hot Stuff 11/10
Hand Of Fate 10/10
Cherry Oh Baby 10/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 11/10
Melody 10/10
Fool To Cry 10/10
Crazy Mama 11/10

Black & Blue is awsome

smileys with beer
Perhaps received better for those of us old enough to enjoy it new.
Was such a departure that fit so well with the era. Similar to GHS imo.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2021 23:14

....these track ratings are cool ...
Ya get ta learn who the funky boned cats
are and who ya'd kinda wanna hang out with .....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 26, 2021 00:38

From timeisonourside.com - an excerpt from a review of Black and Blue in Creem magazine written by Lester Bangs, 1976.

"...the heat's off, because it's all over, they really don't matter anymore or stand for anything, which is certainly lucky for both them and us.
I mean, it was a heavy weight to carry for all concerned. This is the first MEANINGLESS Stones album...what you get here is sweet flow Muzak dentist office conversation piece"

A bit harsh as the album isn't really all that bad, but sort of sums up what many people were thinking about the Stones at the time.
And here we are nearly 45 years later - the band continues to roll on (sort of), while poor old Lester passed away many, many years ago.

Date: April 26, 2021 01:08

Wow. A bad review from '76.
That changes everything I guess.

wait.
Lemme dig thru the internet real quick and find a glowing one.
That'll show 'em winking smiley

*edit- found a bunch, but decided it would be really petty and childish to try and retrieve some random review from some random source that completely agrees with me, as easy as that is.
Not that there's anything wrong with petty, for those that partake spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-26 01:17 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 26, 2021 01:10

timeisonourside.com - the holy grail for all things Stones-related - similar to the Beatles Bible.
You should look it up some day as it's a treasure trove of knowledge at your fingertips - no Stones fan should be without it.

edit: Lester Bangs - established critic for both Rolling Stone magazine and Creem magazine, among many other respected sources.
Much wiser to cite an actual review from an actual critic vs. those who cite anonymous writers that write fake reviews on personal websites,
and then post them as a reliable source when in reality it's all a bunch of phoney baloney (see McCartney thread).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-26 01:52 by Hairball.

Date: April 26, 2021 02:04

Above post is barely legible and unintelligible.
I think I can decipher it tho.. lemme give it a shot.

(paraphrasing)
"Waaaaa!!! I will go to the ends of the earth to criticize anything and everything I don't like about this band, while annoying the fck out of those that do.
This is very, very, important to me for some strange reason."

Date: April 26, 2021 02:10

Creepy troll above at it again....must be bored and lonely....

Date: April 26, 2021 02:59

loog droog
Sorry to disagree, folks.

But I bought it back in '76 on the day it came out, and as much as I wanted to like it, I had to admit that overall it was obviously a

let

down.

After the rollicking great Some Girls, I felt the same way when Emotional Rescue was released - a few nice tunes for sure, but overall was a letdown starting with the title track.
Tattoo You on the other hand was amazing, and being tied in with the excitement of a massive tour, it was the last new album as a whole I fully cherished, and for the most part still do to this day.
Then came more letdowns... Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo, Bridges, and A Bigger Bang - all have a few decent tunes, but generally speaking they're all somewhat letdowns.
That said, always excited and looking forward to a new Stones album despite the overall inferior quality since '81, but no matter the quality, it's always nice to think they might have one more in them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-26 03:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 26, 2021 04:26

strat72
Outside of the big four it is one of my favourites.....

Hey Negrita & Hot Stuff are seriously funky grooves.

Hand of Fate & Crazy Mama are punchy Stones rockers.

Memory Motel & Fool To Cry are beautiful ballads.

Love it......

Agree!

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: April 26, 2021 06:01

TIRED
GhostTown2021
TIRED
slewan

where did they record this video? (there's advertisement in German ('Nordstern Versicherungen')in the back (at 1:40))

the four videos were shot in Ostseehalle Kiel, May 1st 1976 - the day before the concert in the same venue, all directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg

I've read before it was Frankfurt's festhalle, the first stop on the tour. But maybe the Nordstern advertisement indeed points to Kiel. Do you you have any more info on this? Not that I'm doubting, just interested.

See Felix Aeppli: TUG1974-1977Up.pdf

I just checked - Lindsay-Hogg was not the director of the Black&Blue videos, the other infos are correct.

Thanks.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 26, 2021 10:46

Hot Stuff 4/10
Hand Of Fate 8/10
Cherry Oh Baby 1/10
Memory Motel 4/10

Hey Negrita 2/10
Melody 9/10
Fool To Cry 4/10
Crazy Mama 6/10

Date: April 26, 2021 10:54

slewan
DandelionPowderman
Hot Stuff 10/10
Hand Of Fate 8/10
Cherry Oh Baby 7/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 8/10
Melody 10/10
Fool To Cry 10/10
Crazy Mama 5/10

It's hard to take a 3/10 review of Hand Of Fate seriously. And 0/10 for Crazy Mama? smiling smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 26, 2021 13:55

It's always been my favourite Stones album.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 26, 2021 14:01

MisterDDDD

smileys with beer
Perhaps received better for those of us old enough to enjoy it new.
Was such a departure that fit so well with the era. Similar to GHS imo.

Absolutely. I can understand the sentimental value the record must hold for those who were young at the time. It certainly isn't an Exile or Sticky Fingers, whereby it's status and place in classic album folklore goes beyond how those in 1971 and '72 must've felt.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 26, 2021 14:13

Loved it! Had just turned 19 and was holding tickets for my first Stones show having been Stones daft all through my teens. You better believe I enjoyed it and still think it holds up well today.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 26, 2021 14:46

Hairball
As a whole I like it better than Undercover and every other album that followed in the latter era,
yet think it's one of the weakest albums prior to Undecover and the era that preceeded with Emotional Rescue probably being the weakest.

That said, there are some truly great tunes I've always loved from it.
On a scale of one to ten:

Hot Stuff - 9 - I remember it blasting out of the radio when it was released, and always love the funkiness with Mick's out of control vocals and the amazing guitar solo from Harvey Mandel.
Hand of Fate - 9.5 - The second it kicks off I'm hooked and the singing/stinging solo blazes trails...still wonder how great/different the Stones might have been had they kept Wayne Perkins
Cherry Oh Baby - 1...Maybe even a zero as the Eric Donaldsen version is far superior in every way, while this version is simply obnoxious and unlistenable.
Memory Motel - 7 - One of the sweetest, and when Keith chimes in "She's got a mind of her own...", well it really is quite genius the way that tune works.
Hey Negrita - 2 - Gotta give Ronnie a bit of credit for trying, but many of his Stones contributions are far better (Everything is Turning to Gold, et al.)
Melody - 3 - Hokey faux jazzy junk...something Bette Midler might have recorded...though I do love all of the guitar bits throughout.
Fool to Cry -2 - Generally pure crap, though it does find a nice groove towards the end with some nice guitar parts...
Crazy Mama - 8 - Maybe a nine...needs to be cranked up to 10...simple and effective Stonesy rock and roll in ever way.

Which gives a decidedly-average average score of 5. Sounds about right.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 26, 2021 15:09

Hot Stuff 9/10
Hand Of Fate 5/10
Cherry Oh Baby 6,5/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 3/10
Melody minus 2/10
Fool To Cry 8,5/10
Crazy Mama 8,5/10

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 26, 2021 15:55

terraplane
It's always been my favourite Stones album.

I never think of it as one of my favorites off the cuff, but it is so funky, groovy, in your face and loud, I do love it! A very unique release in the Stones catalogue!

HEY NEGRITA!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 26, 2021 17:08

Hot Stuff 8/10
Hand Of Fate 9/10
Cherry Oh Baby 5/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 9/10
Melody 7/10
Fool To Cry 8/10
Crazy Mama 7/10

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: April 26, 2021 18:52

Who’s the vampire lurking behind Mick and Keith on the cover?

Date: April 26, 2021 19:31

Witness
Hot Stuff 9/10
Hand Of Fate 5/10
Cherry Oh Baby 6,5/10
Memory Motel 10/10

Hey Negrita 3/10
Melody minus 2/10
Fool To Cry 8,5/10
Crazy Mama 8,5/10

Is that a minus 2, as in a negative 2, as in -2 , as in two below zero for Melody?
Whether two below or two above, clearly you must not like it very much lol...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home