Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anyone have this Ralph Gleason article from 1969?
Posted by: zeppo1 ()
Date: April 22, 2021 03:39

Rereading True Adventures and am interested in finding the Ralph Gleason article that is mentioned near the beginning about ticket prices.

It originally appeared in the San Fransisco Chronicle in 1969 and is quoted in this Rolling Stone article Can only find quotes from it online, interested in reading the whole thing.

thanks!

Re: Anyone have this Ralph Gleason article from 1969?
Posted by: curt ()
Date: April 22, 2021 11:24

Is this the one?

[www.dead.net]

And there are more here:
[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-22 12:14 by curt.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 22, 2021 14:56

The underlining Angels stuff in that article is incredible actually. Thanks @curt
Do we all now agree Rock Scully (grateful dead) was the "mastermind" of organising the Angels?

Posted by: zeppo1 ()
Date: April 22, 2021 17:32

That's not it, but it is fascinating stuff.

It seems that Gleason's original article before these was the genesis of Altamont. He wrote a thing about high ticket prices and how the band must despise their fans, then at a press conference reporters asked them about it. Mick alludes to but doesn't commit to doing something for those who can't afford tickets--like a free concert
!
It will be interesting to read Gleason's stuff about Altamont. Thanks for posting

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 22, 2021 19:28

>Do we all now agree Rock Scully (grateful dead) was the "mastermind" of organising the Angels?

No one "organizes" the HA. If you mean was he the guy who signed them on for security at Altamont, I don't think anyone actually signed anyone for anything, it was a loose agreement like they had with them to guard their generators and stuff in GG Park. Its just a whole other breed showed up out in the netherlands of the east bay that day. Never should have run the show out there at all, just a bad place in a bad time.

I always laid the majority of blame on the GD being the host but the fact is Jagger torpedoed the whole thing when he let the cat out of the bag they would be performing there. The GD had people who could get permits for GG park gigs under the radar but once Jagger made it known they were going to be doing something there the whole place went on red alert and no one could get anything. It the GD were left to their own ways, it would have been held in the park, with the Stones only announced day of show. So, I have changed my view to one that holds the Stones accountable for the mess, despite the fact that the GD should have had it together a lot more or at least should have just put a stop to it after GGP and then Sears Point fell through.

I recall the article the OP is referring to but do not have a copy, I believe it has been quoted or paraphrased more than once in one book or another.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2212
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home