Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How Mick Jagger made the greatest blues album he's never released
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 22, 2021 11:27

Interesting discussion. I find myself listening to Wandering Spirit more than any RS album after 1983. I never ever had the longing for Keith Richards to strike a pose there, it's all completed perfectly without him, for once.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 22, 2021 11:29

... every one is so pretty .... HHHaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2021 11:32

In a similar way, I find myself listening to Talk is Cheap more than any other RS album after 1981, and because it's a full on Keith project, Mick is not missed at all.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 22, 2021 16:43

Erik_Snow
I find this session somewhat pale. Nice at first listen, but then it dies off, it's too slick and business-like. Like a catwalk of the blues. The Wandering Spirit album has a lot more pathos and power.

Yes, this is it in a nutshell, and why I sold the Red Devils boot years ago. Over time it seemed to me like clinical blues.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 22, 2021 17:11

If you think WS is just "mediocre", good, opinions are opinions, but then it begs to be asked why you almost eagerly (as shown in the new album thread) await a new Stones album at all that can only disappoint you if you expect anything better than Evening Gown, Don't Tear Me Up and other stuff from WS or possibly even Hate It When You Leave, the last truly great Keith Richards tune imo, and that's almost 30 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-24 06:57 by bv.

Date: April 22, 2021 17:21

Living in a Ghost Town from last year was great, as was Crosseyed Heart from just six years ago. Blue and Lonesome, while just an average covers album imo from four years ago,
showed they can still work well together when they put their heads together. Add these most recent ingredients together, and there's the possibility the Stones can come up with another decent- fantastic album.
There's still hope for great new material from the Stones, but the hope of a full new album of great new material seems to be dwindling by the day.

I'm pretty sure if Mick added some vocals to Crosseyed Heart, you would call the very same album a "masterpiece", but then again I'm not as presumptuous as you are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-24 06:58 by bv.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 22, 2021 17:33

DandelionPowderman
Instead, The Cult came out with AC/DC, Zeppelin and
Stones-based riffs (Start Me Up), sounding mean and heavy.

This sound lasted for one album only, but that was the
album that really made them famous...

The album after that, Sonic Temple, is even better.

Date: April 22, 2021 18:09

Hairball
I'm pretty sure if Mick added some vocals to Crosseyed Heart, you would call the very same album a "masterpiece", but then again I'm not as presumptuous as you are.

A quite humorous attempt at self-reflection, but "you should not recognize them by their words but by their deeds".

Date: April 22, 2021 18:13

retired_dog
Hairball

A quite humorous attempt at self-reflection, but "you should not recognize them by their words but by their deeds".

Likewise.

Date: April 22, 2021 18:59

TooTough
DandelionPowderman
Instead, The Cult came out with AC/DC, Zeppelin and
Stones-based riffs (Start Me Up), sounding mean and heavy.

This sound lasted for one album only, but that was the
album that really made them famous...

The album after that, Sonic Temple, is even better.

Because they brought back their sound in the songs. There's a huge difference between Sun King and Wild Flower. The former sound like The Cult smiling smiley

I love both tracks/albums, though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2021 20:49

floodonthepage
Erik_Snow
I find this session somewhat pale. Nice at first listen, but then it dies off, it's too slick and business-like. Like a catwalk of the blues. The Wandering Spirit album has a lot more pathos and power.

Yes, this is it in a nutshell, and why I sold the Red Devils boot years ago. Over time it seemed to me like clinical blues.

Plus, let's face it, you taped it first.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 22, 2021 21:00

treaclefingers
floodonthepage
Erik_Snow

Plus, let's face it, you taped it first.

Ha, I should have, on principle (for having bought it in the first place). But I didn't.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 22, 2021 21:28

I was underwhelmed with it in the beginning but after i put it aside and then revisited it rather recently, I quite like it. Doesn't sound like blues by the numbers to me, but it also doesn't come anywhere near the level of the actual Rolling Stones. Remove those expectations and I find it pretty darn good, I listen to it more than any post 82 Stones album aside from BAL.

jb

Date: April 22, 2021 23:30

Because as soon as you bring "Crosseyed Heart" in connection with hopes for a future Stones album into the picture, it's better to ignore such an answer out of kindness. CH was for Keith fans just what Goddess was for Mick fans - a welcome sign of life, but almost instantly almost forgotten outside their respective fan circles. And quite rightly so. Both albums are, well, how do I say it nicely, "quite nice" and may still have (likely not more than) a handful of enthusiastic listeners, but to regard any of these two as a benchmark for a future Stones album is as far off the mark as it possibly could be. They're simply synonyms for mediocrity. And it usually makes me tired to discuss mediocrity. Or, if you will, running out of gas. As such, mentioning CH was a clever move. Congrats!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-24 06:59 by bv.

Date: April 22, 2021 23:42

Of course that's your opinion, just as I have my opinions on Mick and his subpar/mediocre/boring Wandering Spirit.
At least we can agree that the most recent Living in a Ghost Town was a very good latter era tune from the Stones which seemed to give hope for future Stones releases.
But then Mick unleashes the laughable Easy Sleazy and seems all hopes of anything similar to the quality of Ghost Town have been dashed - hopefully just temporarily.
On the positive side, at least he didn't force it on Keith and the Stones, and kept it for himself - just like the terrible Getta Grip/England Lost single.
Looking forward to some new Stones material, and if not hopefully Keith will step back up and release more quality solo material ala Crosseyed Heart.thumbs up

edit: Should be noted that we also agreed that the Mick and the Red Devils recordings should be officially released some day!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-24 06:59 by bv.

Date: April 23, 2021 17:13

Yeah, it's good to see that two IORRians can agree with at least something, speaking of a lowest common denominator.

For the rest of your reply, well, everybody who's been here longer than a couple of days knows your opinion about the music in question already more than well enough as you keep on shoving it into everybody's mouths ad nauseum, no matter whatever thread it may or may not fit in. It's not necessary and it does not look cool, so a bit more restraint would help if you don't want to look like a narcissistic weirdo or even worse. Just a well-meant friendly advice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-24 07:00 by bv.

Date: April 23, 2021 17:33

Likewise. And it would be nice if you could accept other opinions vs. forcing your own down their throats. You don't like Crosseyed Heart - we get it as you've mentioned it a thousand times.
You think Wandering Spirit is the best "Stones album" of the last few decades - yes we get that also, but others like myself feel differently so you might as well try and accept it.
And considering Wandering Spirit is nearly 30 years old (!), if you're hoping that Mick and the Stones would ever rehash something similar to that, seems you might be hoping against all odds.
Some friendly advice - try not to quote people and force your own agenda/opinion in to their thoughts as you did in my very first post in this thread - it looks bizarre and is totally uncool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-24 07:01 by bv.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 23, 2021 19:23

Would love a Wandering Spirit deluxe with the Blues Sessions as a bonus disc. Disappointed that it hasn't happened.

Date: April 24, 2021 03:08

"We"...thats him and the squirrel in his pocket.

jb

Date: April 24, 2021 05:29

This thread wouldn't be complete without having the actual sessions to enjoy. Excellent stuff, and nearly two hours worth.
Wish Mick would officially release more of this some day, but meanwhile this youtube link (and the boots) will suffice as the sound quality is actually very good.

MICK JAGGER & THE RED DEVILS - THE FULL 1992 BLUES SESSIONS DEFINITIVE EDITION

01. Don't Go No Farther (Willie Dixon)
02. One Way Out I (Marshall Sehorn/Elmore James) -take 1
03. Shake 'Em On Down (Bukka White) -take 1
04. That Ain't Your Business (James Moore/Jay D. Miller) (Take 3)
05. Blues With A Feeling
06. I Got My Eyes On You
07. Still A Fool
08. Checkin' Up On My Baby
09. One Way Out
10. Talk To Me Baby
11. Evil
12. Ain't Your Business
13. Shake 'm On Down
14. Somebody Loves Me
15. Dream Girl Blues
16. 40 Days, 40 Nights
17. Mean Old World (Bonus Track)
18. Blues With A Feeling (Take 2)
19. Blues With A Feeling (Take 4)
20. Blues With A Feeling (Take 5)
21. I Got My Eyes On You (Take 2)
22. Still A Fool (Take 3)
23. Still A Fool (Take 4)
24. Checking Up On My Baby (Take 3)
25. One Way Out (Take 1)
26. One way Out (Take 2)
27. Talk To Me Baby (Take 2)
28. Evil (Take 2)
29. Evil (Take 3)
30. Evil (Take 4)
31. Ain't Your Business (Take 3)
32. Shake 'M On Down (Take 1)
33. Somebody Loves Me (Take 3)
34. Dream Girl Blues (Take 1)
35. Dream Girl Blues (Take 3)
36. 40 Days 40 Nights (Take 1)
37. 40 days 40 Nights (Take 2)

Date: April 24, 2021 06:11

was there more than one boot? Mine starts with about track 18 on that list with a couple of tracks up in the previous 17, and has 21 tracks total. If there is more out there, I would love to get a hard copy of it.

jb

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home